Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AerostarUK

Re: DY Pulls out of BDL

Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:32 am

Good article on plight of Norwegian here...https://www.aviationanalytics.com/2018/ ... stretched/

dvincent

Re: DI Pulls out of BDL

Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:26 pm

uconn99 wrote:
BDL has widebody capable gates, which ones I am not sure.

Indeed, original Terminal A hosted DC-10s and 767s back in the day, and DL brings the occasional 767 to new terminal A. The issue with the A330 is the wingspan, and Aer Lingus' gate (A7) would block another one if the jet is parked there. Gate A9 is the only one that could reasonably accommodate an A330 with minimal disruption. Since DL and Aer Lingus are sharing gate A7, such accommodations could be made, I suppose. I'm pretty sure you would still end up partially blocking at least A7 with an a330, though. A 767 would be fine with no problems.

I do think that an actual London flight (say, American or DL to LHR) would be successful for the local market, but the usage of a slot would be more profitable from LHR to another destination, so I doubt AA or DL would do it with their 757 utilization as it is. DUB has an easy connection to London so that traffic may have peeled off but from the last stats I looked at London was the largest connecting intl market out of the Hartford/Springfield area.
From the Mind of Minolta

SCHATC422
Topic Author

Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:48 pm

dvincent wrote:
uconn99 wrote:
BDL has widebody capable gates, which ones I am not sure.

Indeed, original Terminal A hosted DC-10s and 767s back in the day, and DL brings the occasional 767 to new terminal A. The issue with the A330 is the wingspan, and Aer Lingus' gate (A7) would block another one if the jet is parked there. Gate A9 is the only one that could reasonably accommodate an A330 with minimal disruption. Since DL and Aer Lingus are sharing gate A7, such accommodations could be made, I suppose. I'm pretty sure you would still end up partially blocking at least A7 with an a330, though. A 767 would be fine with no problems.

I do think that an actual London flight (say, American or DL to LHR) would be successful for the local market, but the usage of a slot would be more profitable from LHR to another destination, so I doubt AA or DL would do it with their 757 utilization as it is. DUB has an easy connection to London so that traffic may have peeled off but from the last stats I looked at London was the largest connecting intl market out of the Hartford/Springfield area.

Throw in there that an EI A330 would block that whole alleyway, including JetBlue trying to get to their gates (3 and 5) and AC trying to get to their rampstair jetway way on the inside, gate 1.

dvincent

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:50 am

SCHATC422 wrote:
Throw in there that an EI A330 would block that whole alleyway, including JetBlue trying to get to their gates (3 and 5) and AC trying to get to their rampstair jetway way on the inside, gate 1.

At A7, yes. A9 or A11 would not block the alleyway (with A11 having the most clearance). However, it would take some work that no one wants to expend, and the postal ramp would need to be clear. Not to mention all the other accouterments, like containerized loading (since DL sent the container loaders away years ago).

It would make more sense for EI to add a second frequency than a larger jet because the A330 is just too much plane for BDL seat-count wise, let alone operationally. They could always do the supplemental 767 like they did at BOS for a while, as operationally a 767 is no stranger to new Terminal A and gates A9 and A11 have hosted 767-300s in the past.
From the Mind of Minolta

Gingersnap

Re: DY Pulls out of BDL

Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:08 am

An odd pairing for sure and you could easily say this was inevitable.

Although I can't help but think there is some weight in perhaps a small part in the blame on UK APD. It has always been cheaper for me to fly as an example KL to AMS, then BA to LHR to connect onto a long haul destination compared to flying direct out of LHR or via a domestic UK route, due to the avoidance of APD. In many cases, I've avoided long haul from the UK completely and opted to connect in AMS or FRA to a TATL destination.

It's inconvenient sure, but I've saved excess amounts of money doing so. APD is a rip off and needs a drastic cut.
Flown on: A306 A319/20/21 A332 B732/3/4/5/7/8 B742/4 B752 B762/3 B772/W B788 C152 E195 F70/100 MD-82 Q400

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos