Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

berari
Topic Author

Re: Ethiopian Airlines comparing/deciding between Houston and Chicago

Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:22 am

Chicago is where Ethiopian will be flying to starting in June! Via Dublin westbound, nonstop eastbound

https://twitter.com/ETWatch/status/958132192470736897

ET510 ADD ORD 2215 - 0755+1 B788 (one hour stop at DUB)
ET511 ORD ADD 0955 - 0740+1 B788

usflyer msp

Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:48 am

berari wrote:
Chicago is where Ethiopian will be flying to starting in June! Via Dublin westbound, nonstop eastbound

I know alot of Ethiopians in MSP who will be very happy about this news, This flight's schedule makes it much easier to get a connection to ADD. Most of them currently fly MSP-EWR-LFW-ADD because the YYZ and IAD flights leave too early for connections from MSP.

thomasphoto60

Re: Updated: Ethiopian Airlines adds Chicago

Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:34 am

Yep, while I was hoping for IAH, my money was on ORD, maybe next time...Congrats Chi-Town!
"Show me the Braniffs"

FSDan

Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:55 am

I'm glad to see this service going to ORD, and glad to see that it's nonstop eastbound! I'm guessing ET won't have local rights on DUB-ORD, but will just use DUB as a tech stop...
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

RamblinMan

Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:31 am

Even if they had local rights on DUB-ORD, it's departing DUB at like 0500 with that schedule.

Would they be able to take advantage of customs and immigration preclearance in DUB (assuming it's even open at that hour, or the flight were re-timed) or would that not be possible for a flight originating outside the EU?

berari
Topic Author

Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:35 am

thomasphoto60 wrote:
Yep, while I was hoping for IAH, my money was on ORD, maybe next time...Congrats Chi-Town!

I was betting IAH given the connectivity IAD and EWR already provide. But ET knows its numbers best. Maybe better connectivity with ORD and more O&D with IAD, especially given the routing that's not via West Africa.

RamblinMan wrote:
Even if they had local rights on DUB-ORD, it's departing at like 0500 with that schedule.

Would they be able to take advantage of preclearance in DUB (assuming it's even open at that hour, or the flight were re-timed) or would that not be possible for a flight originating outside the EU?

They are making ADD-DUB-LAX-DUB-ADD without US preclearance today 4x per week, with an early departure out of DUB. Pre clearance seems to be optional.

ILS28ORD

Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:39 am

Why stop in Dublin on the westbound leg? Doesn't the 788 have the range for nonstop in both directions?

RamblinMan

Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:46 am

ILS28ORD wrote:
Why stop in Dublin on the westbound leg? Doesn't the 788 have the range for nonstop in both directions?

At just over 12,000 km this route is at the upper end of the 788 range. ADD sits at 7600 ft. A 788 with a profitable load and enough fuel to reach ORD would never make it off the runway.
Last edited by RamblinMan on Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

ORDfan

Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:48 am

Awesome news! Look forward to seeing their tail at T5. ORD now connected non-stop to Africa...it's about time!

ILS28ORD wrote:

I'm wondering the same thing....??

jubguy3

Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:20 am

ORDfan wrote:
Awesome news! Look forward to seeing their tail at T5. ORD now connected non-stop to Africa...it's about time!

ILS28ORD wrote:

I'm wondering the same thing....??

Addis Ababa lies at 7600 feet, and it's very hot.

jubguy3

Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:21 am

usflyer msp wrote:
berari wrote:

I know alot of Ethiopians in MSP who will be very happy about this news, This flight's schedule makes it much easier to get a connection to ADD. Most of them currently fly MSP-EWR-LFW-ADD because the YYZ and IAD flights leave too early for connections from MSP.

I saw "LFW", paused for a second, and said to myself, "London Fort Worth?" Oops. It's Lomé, Togo for anyone wondering.

eal

Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:27 am

RamblinMan wrote:
Even if they had local rights on DUB-ORD, it's departing DUB at like 0500 with that schedule.

Would they be able to take advantage of customs and immigration preclearance in DUB (assuming it's even open at that hour, or the flight were re-timed) or would that not be possible for a flight originating outside the EU?

Isnt preclearance only at SNN?

jeffrey1970

Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:30 am

I think ORD makes sense since it is not far from a lot of places in the USA and Canada. Ethiopian must get a lot of business traffic.
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

thegoldenargosy

Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:56 am

eal wrote:
RamblinMan wrote:

DUB too

klakzky123

Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:58 am

eal wrote:
RamblinMan wrote:

Dublin has it as well now.

piedmontf284000

Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:14 am

I'm very surprised. I thought for sure ET would pick IAH over ORD and do a stop over in LOS. With oil doing well again it seemed like a no brainer. I will say the schedule is very good though for connections on both ends. Hopefully UA will be a big benefactor for making this flight work.

evanb

Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:48 am

piedmontf284000 wrote:
I'm very surprised. I thought for sure ET would pick IAH over ORD and do a stop over in LOS. With oil doing well again it seemed like a no brainer. I will say the schedule is very good though for connections on both ends. Hopefully UA will be a big benefactor for making this flight work.

Close to zero chance of 5th freedom between LOS and the US.

jcwr56

Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:16 pm

With a little digging on their website, you'll be able to see it within their flight schedules but it's not bookable just yet. Although you can see fares for it on the days they operate (3/5/7)

ILS28ORD

Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:42 pm

RamblinMan wrote:
ILS28ORD wrote:

At just over 12,000 km this route is at the upper end of the 788 range. ADD sits at 7600 ft. A 788 with a profitable load and enough fuel to reach ORD would never make it off the runway.

Thanks that makes sense.

United787

Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:46 pm

Congrats to ORD and ET. Of course, congrats to UA also since they will get domestic connections out of this. UA could also promote this but they won't because they don't seem to put any Star Alliance flights in their booking site unless they are part of the JVs. Everything must go through FRA :(

berari
Topic Author

Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:38 pm

jcwr56 wrote:
With a little digging on their website, you'll be able to see it within their flight schedules but it's not bookable just yet. Although you can see fares for it on the days they operate (3/5/7)

It's bookable on their website. I was able to lookup and select flights, and went through adding passenger name and info.

United787 wrote:
Congrats to ORD and ET. Of course, congrats to UA also since they will get domestic connections out of this. UA could also promote this but they won't because they don't seem to put any Star Alliance flights in their booking site unless they are part of the JVs. Everything must go through FRA :(

UA sells on its website ET flights out of IAD to ADD. It places its code on that flight, which is likely why it does so.

iadadd

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:38 pm

berari wrote:
I was betting IAH given the connectivity IAD and EWR already provide. But ET knows its numbers best. Maybe better connectivity with ORD and more O&D with IAD, especially given the routing that's not via West Africa.

This makes sense, ET has been losing market share on IAD-ADD to TK and EK despite being a large market, so refocusing its IAD on O&D will make ET even more money.

ETinCaribe

Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:51 am

Congrats to ET and ORD!! A 2 hour turnaround at ORD may be challenging, but the times on both sides are very convenient.

It's good that ET is trying all options: via DUB to IAD, YYZ and LAX and via West Africa (LFW, ABJ) to EWR. It shows that it is willing to partner with anyone and build feeds. In the very unlikely event of getting a LOS-US traffic rights, it could fly to IAH or other even to NYC.

There was some talk of ET Cargo coming to Miami as well, I hope that is feasible and takes place for selfish reasons, amongst others.

berari
Topic Author

Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:02 am

ETinCaribe wrote:
Congrats to ET and ORD!! A 2 hour turnaround at ORD may be challenging, but the times on both sides are very convenient.

It's good that ET is trying all options: via DUB to IAD, YYZ and LAX and via West Africa (LFW, ABJ) to EWR. It shows that it is willing to partner with anyone and build feeds. In the very unlikely event of getting a LOS-US traffic rights, it could fly to IAH or other even to NYC.

There was some talk of ET Cargo coming to Miami as well, I hope that is feasible and takes place for selfish reasons, amongst others.

The two hour turnaround should be okay ... they today turnaround bigger aircraft like the A350 in one hour at JNB, ACC, and event the 77W at CPT. By comparison, LH turns around a B748 at JFK in two hours. Granted, ET's two hour turnaround at EWR has been abysmal.

ET Cargo is flying into Los Angeles (via Zaragoza and Mexico City!) and also flies somewhere in Ohio from time to time. Their cargo routes don't get much fanfare of course, but always a treat to find the odd routing on a map!

evanb

Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:20 am

berari wrote:
The two hour turnaround should be okay ... they today turnaround bigger aircraft like the A350 in one hour at JNB, ACC, and event the 77W at CPT. By comparison, LH turns around a B748 at JFK in two hours. Granted, ET's two hour turnaround at EWR has been abysmal.

I think airports like ORD and EWR will need longer turnarounds than JNB or CPT, especially in the winter. Also, given the flight time on the return leg fueling alone may take enough time to make the turnaround very tight.

CHI787ORD

Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:32 am

evanb wrote:
berari wrote:

I think airports like ORD and EWR will need longer turnarounds than JNB or CPT, especially in the winter. Also, given the flight time on the return leg fueling alone may take enough time to make the turnaround very tight.

There are a number of connections to East and Southern Africa like NBO and EBB within 45 minutes or less from the ORD flights arrival at ADD. If the two hour turnaround is a problem ET may be better off arriving slightly earlier at ORD and leaving ORD slightly earlier outbound.

evanb

Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:30 am

CHI787ORD wrote:
There are a number of connections to East and Southern Africa like NBO and EBB within 45 minutes or less from the ORD flights arrival at ADD. If the two hour turnaround is a problem ET may be better off arriving slightly earlier at ORD and leaving ORD slightly earlier outbound.

While the earlier arrival into ORD would generate benefits in terms of more connections at ORD and an easier turnaround, departing ADD at 22:15 is already very early in the late night ADD departure bank. HKG is the earliest of the current late night departures at 22:45. So shifting even earlier than 22:15 would really compromise in-bound connection. Additionally, I would say the connections in ADD are more important to the business model than connections at ORD. The additional length of ADD-DUB-ORD over say IAD is pushing up against the edge of what they can do with an immediate turnaround.

berari
Topic Author

Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:50 pm

CHI787ORD wrote:
evanb wrote:
berari wrote:

ET will have four flights a day to NBO and EBB, with the first ones at around 0830 and the second ones around 1030. The latter would be the more comfortable connection flights.

RamblinMan

Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:16 pm

CHI787ORD wrote:
evanb wrote:
berari wrote:

They also want to make connections on UA domestic flights XXX-ORD-ADD available. An 0955 departure is already extremely early for an international flight, and many cities' first flight to ORD arrives after 0800. Plus any local Chicago pax who connect beyond ADD may choose to go via FRA rather than getting up before dawn to fight the morning traffic if the flight were any earlier.

berari
Topic Author

Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:57 pm

RamblinMan wrote:
They also want to make connections on UA domestic flights XXX-ORD-ADD available. An 0955 departure is already extremely early for an international flight, and many cities' first flight to ORD arrives after 0800. Plus any local Chicago pax who connect beyond ADD may choose to go via FRA rather than getting up before dawn to fight the morning traffic if the flight were any earlier.

Looking at today's arrivals, and having a parameter for UA flights that arrive before 0830 to allow for ample connection time from UA to ET, we have 104 United Airlines and United Express flights with the following arrival times. A similar comparison for current connection opportunities at IAD renders just 27 flights. If anything, the ORD flight is better positioned for onward connections with nonstop service to Addis Ababa.

Re: connecting in Europe instead of via ADD, we already see such connections via IAD that are strong, and for the right price, pax will go for it.

4:34 AM San Diego (SAN) United Airlines
4:53 AM Honolulu (HNL) United Airlines
4:57 AM Phoenix (PHX) United Airlines
5:02 AM Los Angeles (LAX) United Airlines
5:11 AM Las Vegas (LAS) United Airlines
5:28 AM San Francisco (SFO) United Airlines
5:30 AM Sao Paulo (GRU) United Airlines
5:40 AM Kalamazoo (AZO) United Express
6:00 AM South Bend (SBN) United Express
6:02 AM Flint (FNT) United Express
6:14 AM Indianapolis (IND) United Express
6:15 AM Grand Rapids (GRR) United Express
6:19 AM Moline (MLI) United Express
6:22 AM Dayton (DAY) United Express
6:25 AM Lansing (LAN) United Express
6:28 AM Milwaukee (MKE) United Express
6:29 AM Columbus (CMH) United Express
6:29 AM Lexington (LEX) United Express
6:29 AM Detroit (DTW) United Express
6:29 AM Cincinnati (CVG) United Express
6:31 AM Pittsburgh (PIT) United Airlines
6:31 AM Champaign (CMI) United Express
6:32 AM Columbia (COU) United Express
6:32 AM Fort Wayne (FWA) United Express
6:33 AM San Francisco (SFO) United Airlines
6:34 AM Springfield (SPI) United Express
6:37 AM Cleveland (CLE) United Airlines
6:38 AM Rochester (RST) United Express
6:40 AM Des Moines (DSM) United Express
6:41 AM Traverse City (TVC) United Express
6:42 AM Louisville (SDF) United Express
6:45 AM Akron (CAK) United Express
6:46 AM Appleton (ATW) United Express
6:46 AM Charleston (CRW) United Express
6:47 AM Eau Claire (EAU) United Express
6:48 AM Milwaukee (MKE) United Express
6:48 AM Peoria (PIA) United Express
6:49 AM Los Angeles (LAX) United Airlines
6:49 AM Kansas City (MCI) United Express
6:50 AM Madison (MSN) United Airlines
6:50 AM Erie (ERI) United Express
6:50 AM Lincoln (LNK) United Express
6:50 AM Hancock (CMX) United Express
6:50 AM Green Bay (GRB) United Express
6:57 AM Baltimore (BWI) United Airlines
7:19 AM New York (LGA) United Airlines
7:20 AM Cleveland (CLE) United Airlines
7:25 AM Washington (DCA) United Airlines
7:32 AM Pittsburgh (PIT) United Express
7:34 AM Roanoke (ROA) United Express
7:35 AM Minneapolis (MSP) United Airlines
7:39 AM Tulsa (TUL) United Express
7:40 AM Philadelphia (PHL) United Airlines
7:42 AM Knoxville (TYS) United Express
7:42 AM Asheville (AVL) United Express
7:44 AM Norfolk (ORF) United Express
7:45 AM Charlotte (CLT) United Airlines
7:45 AM Boston (BOS) United Airlines
7:46 AM Nashville (BNA) United Express
7:50 AM Washington (IAD) United Airlines
7:50 AM Cedar Rapids (CID) United Airlines
7:51 AM Jacksonville (JAX) United Express
7:51 AM Chattanooga (CHA) United Express
7:52 AM Buffalo (BUF) United Airlines
7:52 AM Harrisburg (MDT) United Express
7:54 AM New York (EWR) United Airlines
7:55 AM Columbus (CMH) United Express
7:55 AM Richmond (RIC) United Express
7:55 AM Ottawa (YOW) United Express
7:57 AM Houston (IAH) United Airlines
7:57 AM Dayton (DAY) United Express
7:57 AM Allentown (ABE) United Express
7:58 AM Windsor Locks (BDL) United Airlines
7:59 AM State College (SCE) United Express
8:00 AM Greenville-Spartanburg (GSP) United Express
8:00 AM Columbia (CAE) United Express
8:00 AM Charlottesville (CHO) United Express
8:00 AM Evansville (EVV) United Express
8:02 AM Tampa (TPA) United Airlines
8:04 AM Detroit (DTW) United Airlines
8:04 AM Indianapolis (IND) United Express
8:06 AM Louisville (SDF) United Express
8:07 AM Burlington (BTV) United Airlines
8:08 AM Atlanta (ATL) United Airlines
8:09 AM White Plains (HPN) United Express
8:10 AM Cincinnati (CVG) United Airlines
8:10 AM Savannah (SAV) United Express
8:10 AM Charleston (CHS) United Express
8:12 AM Washington (DCA) United Airlines
8:12 AM Duluth (DLH) United Express
8:12 AM Birmingham (BHM) United Express
8:13 AM Grand Rapids (GRR) United Airlines
8:13 AM New York (LGA) United Airlines
8:13 AM Paducah (PAH) United Express
8:14 AM Greensboro (GSO) United Express
8:15 AM Milwaukee (MKE) United Express
8:15 AM Raleigh-Durham (RDU) United Express
8:15 AM St. Louis (STL) United Express
8:15 AM Syracuse (SYR) United Express
8:15 AM Albany (ALB) United Express
8:15 AM Montreal (YUL) United Express
8:16 AM Dallas (DFW) United Airlines
8:20 AM Cleveland (CLE) United Airlines
8:30 AM South Bend (SBN) United Express

berari
Topic Author

Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:23 pm

A news release is out to some outlets and I suspect that the following tidbit tells us that UA will be codesharing out of ORD. It's worth noting that UA does not place its code on ET service out of LAX nor EWR.

Regarding the launch of the service, Mr. Tewolde GebreMariam, Group CEO of Ethiopian Airlines, remarked: “Chicago will be our 4th destination in the U.S. and our 7th in the Americas. It is the third biggest city in the U.S. and one of the most important global aviation hubs. We will be filling a critical air connectivity vacuum as our flights will be the only direct service between Chicago and Africa.

Chicago is the main hub of our Star Alliance partner, United Airlines and the flight will be operated together with United toavail the best product for travelers from all over the U.S. connecting to more than 55 destinations in Africa.

The flight will further boost the growing economic and people-to-people relations between the U.S. and Africa in general and Ethiopia in particular by enabling greater flow of trade, investment and tourism.”

http://www.ethiosports.com/2018/02/05/e ... o-chicago/

chicawgo

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:04 pm

berari wrote:
A news release is out to some outlets and I suspect that the following tidbit tells us that UA will be codesharing out of ORD. It's worth noting that UA does not place its code on ET service out of LAX nor EWR.

Regarding the launch of the service, Mr. Tewolde GebreMariam, Group CEO of Ethiopian Airlines, remarked: “Chicago will be our 4th destination in the U.S. and our 7th in the Americas. It is the third biggest city in the U.S. and one of the most important global aviation hubs. We will be filling a critical air connectivity vacuum as our flights will be the only direct service between Chicago and Africa.

Chicago is the main hub of our Star Alliance partner, United Airlines and the flight will be operated together with United toavail the best product for travelers from all over the U.S. connecting to more than 55 destinations in Africa.

The flight will further boost the growing economic and people-to-people relations between the U.S. and Africa in general and Ethiopia in particular by enabling greater flow of trade, investment and tourism.”

http://www.ethiosports.com/2018/02/05/e ... o-chicago/

That is an old pic of Chicago! CGX made it in!

berari
Topic Author

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:40 pm

chicawgo wrote:
That is an old pic of Chicago! CGX made it in!

Yes! My first flightsim airport!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos