Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

720B
Topic Author

Passenger barred from boarding two flights in two days after wearing all his clothes to avoid excess baggage fee..

Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:47 pm

Acute case of cheapness............................

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/weekendr ... ailsignout

hOMSaR

Re: Passenger barred from boarding two flights in two days after wearing all his clothes to avoid excess baggage fee..

Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:10 pm

Cheap or not (and I'm somewhat surprised that one could put on eight pairs of pants, I'd think it would get rather tight, but that's neither here nor there...), what rule is violated if you wear "too many clothes" on a plane? The quote from BA about offering extra (for a fee) services if someone needs to check a bag seems to ignore the fact that this person didn't need to check a bag.
I was raised by a cup of coffee.

moo

Re: Passenger barred from boarding two flights in two days after wearing all his clothes to avoid excess baggage fee..

Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:11 pm

The fact that he immediately goes for the racial card immediately destroys all sympathy I have for him.

PatrickZ80

Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:12 pm

Actually I think he was fully within his rights as there is no policy on how much clothes you are allowed to wear. It's a simple way to bring your clothes along that don't fit in your luggage.

Whilst I don't wear as much as he did, I kind of do the same thing. I always wear the heaviest clothing I'm taking with me for the flight. The lighter clothing goes in my luggage. Sometimes there's also small items of luggage in the pockets of my pants and jacket.

alan3

Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:21 pm

32andBelow wrote:
Good for the pax.

For what part?

Trying to board with an oversized bag? Or causing a disruption? Or for wearing 8 pants and 10 shirts? Or going straight to the racial profiling card? Or for changing his name to Mr Hawaii?

Flying is already far cheaper than it has been in aviation history, you really want to encourage a Mob Rule protest strategy for every flight for every nutbar like this?

flydude380

Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:24 pm

Not the first time I've seen this happen in my role... I can't comprehend how some individuals take pride in embarrassing themselves!!

I don't feel any sympthathy that he is a cheap-skate and can't comply with the terms and conditions of his ticket.

I don't feel any sympthathy for pulling out the race card.

However, I don't justify denying him boarding if he actually wore the clothes and they were going to remain on his body for the duration of the flight.

I think there is more to this story though. Perhaps, he was being abusive?

32andBelow

Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:24 pm

alan3 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
Good for the pax.

For what part?

Trying to board with an oversized bag? Or causing a disruption? Or for wearing 8 pants and 10 shirts? Or going straight to the racial profiling card? Or for changing his name to Mr Hawaii?

Flying is already far cheaper than it has been in aviation history, you really want to encourage a Mob Rule protest strategy for every flight for every nutbar like this?

Nor rule saying you cant wear multiple sets of clothes. Your logic is like saying if you showed up with a 52 and a 48 the airline shouldnlt let you make the bags 50/50

berari

Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:28 pm

moo wrote:
The fact that he immediately goes for the racial card immediately destroys all sympathy I have for him.

Agreed, he could have used this opportunity to show how restrictive some of these fares are (yes I know he knew what he paid for!) and gained his 15 seconds of fame with it.

toobz

Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:30 pm

im so over this..people wanting their 5mins of fame. Racial profiling..? This idiot lost me there completely...This is the new world we live in. Entitlement and Me Me Me and My Rights..ughh

moo

Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:40 pm

32andBelow wrote:
alan3 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
Good for the pax.

For what part?

Nor rule saying you cant wear multiple sets of clothes. Your logic is like saying if you showed up with a 52 and a 48 the airline shouldnlt let you make the bags 50/50

In my opinion, if you unreasonably try to sidestep reasonable rules then the rules should be applied as if you never attempted to side step them.

This bloke didn't just take a jumper out of his baggage, he took most of the baggage out of the baggage. That's unreasonable behaviour and the airline are, in my opinion, perfectly within their rights to refuse to board him.

kliff0rd

Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:43 pm

Could the case be made that wearing so many clothes could potentially put the passengers at risk (overheating, DVT, trouble breathing, etc)? Maybe the chances are all slim, but a medical issue on board because someone wanted to wear all their clothes doesn't help that person, nor the other passengers, and certainly not the crew who have to deal with the situation. In this situation it looks like check-in or gate staff made the call, but I could see a pilot not wanting to deal with this and simply removing them from the flight.

Geoff1947

Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:45 pm

A cheapskate refusing to pay for his baggage. No story.

Geoff

Yflyer

Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:47 pm

hOMSaR wrote:
what rule is violated if you wear "too many clothes" on a plane?

It sounds like the actual reason for being denied boarding was that he was being disruptive, not because he was wearing too many clothes. Headline writers do that all the time, writing headlines in the form of "Event B Happens After Event A", creating an association in your mind that B must have been because of A, even though it was really for some completely different reason that is briefly mentioned in one sentence in the fourth paragraph of the article. But since A is more attention grabbing, it becomes the headline.

cpd

Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:49 pm

This seems like a bit of a stunt from someone who is obviously a pretty clever cookie.

That said, I'd be interested in seeing what rules were actually broken. I know of no rule saying you cannot wear multiple layers of clothing.

alan3

Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:51 pm

32andBelow wrote:
alan3 wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
Good for the pax.

I mean this would not have started if he had followed his baggage allowance rules to begin with.

Would be like be being told you have to wear shoes after trying to board barefeet. So instead of buying a pair, you instead stick your feet into empty Starbucks cups and try to board with those. And say "hey man, no rule says I can't do this right"?

deebee278

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:01 pm

I can't even imagine him getting through security with all those clothes on, assuming he did. I'd think that would be a big red flag. He made his point. How much did that extra night at KEF cost versus the bag fee? Oh wait, he probably slept in the terminal. He certainly had enough padding around him to sleep on the floor.

ODwyerPW

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:05 pm

I think he has watched too many Amazing Race episodes.
learning never stops.

NozPerry

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:12 pm

I would be searching all over my house to try and find a single ounce of sympathy for him, looking at his tweets and videos he’s simply a tool. Instead of paying £65 excess baggage at the airport for his BA flight he’d rather pay 107-269€ (Looking at booking a last minute next day ticket) to travel on easyjet and it was naïve that he thought airlines don’t share information regarded boarding refusal especially at an airport like KEF.

It’s happened on easyjet before when a pax thought it would be clever to layer up before going on a flight and instead suffered a fit and passed out onboard.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3155944/Boyband-singer-collapsed-heat-exhaustion-EasyJet-flight-wearing-clothes-avoid-excess-luggage-fee.html
I love the feel of a Go Around in the morning

747megatop

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:15 pm

flydude380 wrote:
can't comply with the terms and conditions of his ticket.

"terms and conditions"? Sometimes I (and many who i know) feel that we need a lawyer to interpret the terms and conditions. I wish airlines make things a little bit simpler. Perfect one such example is when myself and my family were headed from SNA to PDX by united and the ticket i had booked didn't allow carryon baggage. Finally when we were at the boarding gate my wife was arguing with me why i had to checkin our bags. She didn't believe me when i told her the rules (i had done my research and homework) and she turned to a co-passenger to find out (who was also clueless). I had to finally show both the co-passenger and my wife the boarding card with "no carryon baggage" in some insignificant corner of the boarding card along with all the other printed mumbo-jumbo.[easy to blame my wife & the other co-passenger & any other passenger for not doing their homework/research...but beyond making sure that they get the airline right + date, time and terminal right..how much more research can an avg passenger expected to do considering that there are waaaaay too many things hidden in fine prints and "i agree" checkboxes?...without hiring a lawyer or full time assistant of course].

Now, back to this specific case; besides finding it amusing that a guy can wear 8 trousers and 10 shirts i don't see a reason why he should be denied boarding if we was not causing trouble or harm to anyone and had complied with all the rules and regulations. It is not that he was drunk and causing trouble to others! There could be more that what meets the eye in this news report!

Yflyer

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:18 pm

deebee278 wrote:
I can't even imagine him getting through security with all those clothes on, assuming he did.

That's one detail that I was curious about that wasn't really clear in the article. I'm not sure at what point he actually put on all those clothes. Did he put them on before he arrived at the airport? Or when he was told he's have to pay a fee for his bag did he put them on right then and there in the terminal, making a big scene? If it's the latter it would certainly explain why he was denied boarding.

moo

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:20 pm

Yflyer wrote:
deebee278 wrote:
I can't even imagine him getting through security with all those clothes on, assuming he did.

That's one detail that I was curious about that wasn't really clear in the article. I'm not sure at what point he actually put on all those clothes. Did he put them on before he arrived at the airport? Or when he was told he's have to pay a fee for his bag did he put them on right then and there in the terminal, making a big scene? If it's the latter it would certainly explain why he was denied boarding.

He was initially denied checkin for an oversize or overweight carry on on a carry on only ticket - he then emptied the bag and put the additional clothing on in the checkin hall.

CarlosSi

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:29 pm

Hah, I’ve thought about doing something similar, but 8 shirts and 10 pants? Maybe not as much. Just to trim off a pound and a half maybe.

Unless there was any incident or continued disruptions prior to his alternative flight, he should’ve been let on the reacommodated flight. Forgive and forget, don’t be a harda&;. De-escalate, don’t complicate.

usflyer msp

Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:32 pm

Considering there literally is wearable carry-on baggage, I don't see the problem with his behaviour....

infinit

Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:15 am

Sorry, I couldnt miss the chance at a Friends reference :D

dfwjim1

Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:17 am

LOL...the guys nickname is "Ryan Hawaii"...no wonder he is such a boor. On a lighter side I wonder what he would do if he had a "bodily emergency"?

JustSomeDood

Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:18 am

usflyer msp wrote:
Considering there literally is wearable carry-on baggage, I don't see the problem with his behaviour....

Considering that Obesity rates are only going up globally, people might not even notice the extra girth taken up! :lol:

aerolimani

Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:21 am

Wait… who needs 8 pairs of pants when they travel?

IPFreely

Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:26 am

How was he planning to go to the bathroom? I applaud his creativity but I'm not sure he thought this one through all the way.

undertheradar

Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:26 am

Yflyer wrote:
hOMSaR wrote:
what rule is violated if you wear "too many clothes" on a plane?

It sounds like the actual reason for being denied boarding was that he was being disruptive, not because he was wearing too many clothes. Headline writers do that all the time, writing headlines in the form of "Event B Happens After Event A", creating an association in your mind that B must have been because of A, even though it was really for some completely different reason that is briefly mentioned in one sentence in the fourth paragraph of the article. But since A is more attention grabbing, it becomes the headline.

How true. The media at its NORMAL LOW! :lol: The passenger probably goes through life 'pulling out the race card' EVERY time he doesn't get what he wants, which actually harms those who suffer REAL RACE DISCRIMMINATION. ZERO SYMPATHY FROM ME TOO!

travaz

Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:28 am

I have been on a few AA flights (Domestic) and on every flight there was someone that tried to get around the basic economy no carry on rule. I will say AA was very consistent about the way they handled the passengers. I did notice a sharp one bring a bag that was pretty close to being to big to fit in the overhead and when he was to board he played dumb and got the bag checked for free. He was not on a basic economy ticket but didn't want to pay the bag fee. There is always a few around looking to work an angle for a freebie.

Super80Fan

Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:37 am

There is a pretty easy answer here, where in their COC does it say you can't wear that much clothing?
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

AtomicGarden

Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:39 am

While I don't fully agree with him being denied boarding, I can imagine a news report in a paralel universe where a certain airline had to divert while en route because of a disruptive passenger who took off ALL of his clothing in the lav (which took him no less than 20 minutes) and attempted to put them in the overhead bin. Or in another universe, flight diverted because of a certain Mr Hawaii was suffering from a bad case of dehydration and low blood pressure because of all the clothing he was wearing.

Honestly, I will sound totally aristocratic, but this is what we get when flying becomes so cheap that anybody can lay his waste of a person inside an airplane.

A boss of mine once did something similar, but got away with it because she probably wasn't such a dick.
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

moo

Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:44 am

Super80Fan wrote:
There is a pretty easy answer here, where in their COC does it say you can't wear that much clothing?

Where in the COC does it say you *can*?

This bloke was trying to circumvent the rules - and the rules were applied anyway.

Good riddance.

RobertPhoenix

Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:06 am

I remember charter flights in the 70's from UK to Ski resorts, where the baggage allowance was so small that many people wore their Ski Suit and Ski Boots on the plane. It was common, and I don't recall anyone having a problem with it.

tonystan

Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:06 am

He wasn’t refused because he was wearing too much...he was refused because of his subsequent abusive behavior.

Remember the “fake news” mantra that has been all the rage the last year? Well this is a perfect example. The story is not untrue, but how the reports are printed are somewhat!
My views are my own and do not reflect any other person or organisation.

26point2

Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:53 am

Who travels with 8 pair of trousers? Mr Hawaii clearly not a seasoned traveler.

Spacepope

Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:50 am

infinit wrote:
Sorry, I couldnt miss the chance at a Friends reference :D

I am disappointed it took to pst 25 for it to come up!
The last of the famous international playboys

davies2911

Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:47 am

cpd wrote:
This seems like a bit of a stunt from someone who is obviously a pretty clever cookie.

That said, I'd be interested in seeing what rules were actually broken. I know of no rule saying you cannot wear multiple layers of clothing.

I think the word is smart**s. Doesn’t equate to clever. There was the incident on an Easyjet plane a few years ago where a teen trying the same thing did collapse and needed medical assistance from overheating.

mast2407

Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:07 am

moo wrote:

:checkmark:

What a tool.

keesje

Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:30 am

hOMSaR wrote:
Cheap or not (and I'm somewhat surprised that one could put on eight pairs of pants, I'd think it would get rather tight, but that's neither here nor there...), what rule is violated if you wear "too many clothes" on a plane? The quote from BA about offering extra (for a fee) services if someone needs to check a bag seems to ignore the fact that this person didn't need to check a bag.

OMG is it really necessary to spend bites on this forum discussing the number of pants a person can wear & how tight it would be..
"Never mistake motion for action." Ernest Hemingway

BartSimpson

Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:00 am

moo wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

Where in the COC does it say you *can*?

This bloke was trying to circumvent the rules - and the rules were applied anyway.

Good riddance.

Where in the COC does it say that you "can" wear an overcoat?
Where in the COC does it say that you "can" wear a ring?
Where in the COC does it say that you "can" wear a watch?

If something is not forbidden, then it is allowed - not the other way round.

Kikko19

Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:01 am

Who on earth travels with 8 pairs of pants? This chap deserved to be offloaded just for that.

jomur

Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:05 am

At the end of the day the airline can deny someone from boarding for no reason at all. Then if the passenger kicks up a fuss then even more reason to deny them.

It appears security where called somewhere along the time line of this incident and that would be enough for other airlines, easyjet in this case, to deny boarding later on that day.

The airline I work for would also refuse travel to someone who wouldn't pay for a bag and tried this.. One or 2 items would probably be fine but a whole bags worth??? No...

jomur

Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:07 am

Kikko19 wrote:
Who on earth travels with 8 pairs of pants? This chap deserved to be offloaded just for that.

Depends if they meant pants as in trousers or pants as in underwear... Different meanings in different countries..

KingOrGod

Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:32 am

Super80Fan wrote:

Then he can evacuate the plane last. And god help him if it's an overwater evacuation.

He's simply taking the p*ss, and then pulling the racial card. Double [email protected] really.

And fwiw, it was not to avoid excess baggage charges, it was to avoid any baggage charges as he booked a hand luggage flight only.

notaxonrotax

Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:19 am

Racial card? Pants on fire! But which one?

No Tax On Rotax
For anybody that happens to be wondering:"yes, owning your own aircraft is a 100% worth it!"

flyingturtle

Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:40 am

Super80Fan wrote:

Eeeeexactly. All calls for calling that guy a "cheapskate" absolutely miss the point.

When they deal with passengers, airlines are never shy to wield the 20-inch gun called CoC. But then, airliners react totally surprised when a passenger uses the CoC to his or her advantage.

And when in doubt, a customer-friendly company always errs in favor of the customer.

The airline is free not to do future business with him.

David
Reading accident reports is what calms me down

SheikhDjibouti

Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:59 am

BartSimpson wrote:
Where in the COC does it say that you "can" wear an overcoat?
Where in the COC does it say that you "can" wear a ring?
Where in the COC does it say that you "can" wear a watch?

If something is not forbidden, then it is allowed - not the other way round.

I can see that your namesake would argue that way, but in the real world that has consequences.

This joker claims to be an "artist and clothing designer", and I suspect some of this clothing was recently purchased (in Iceland) for import to the UK. This may well explain the ridiculous amounts of pants (trousers?), but it also part of his business, and I'll bet that in addition to the stunt he's pulling on the airlines, he is circumventing import regulations. It's not necessarily a big deal; I'm sure plenty of us have returned from abroad with a shiny new (tax-free) camera or watch, but that's for personal use. To operate in that manner as a business is fraud.

Meanwhile, you'll find this hard to believe, but I'm an American Football Quarterback, and I'm planning on wearing my full outfit next time I take a flight.
With all that reinforcement and padding, a full security check will be almost impossible.
Working my way down the centre aisle to reach my seat, a fair number of people are going to be caught out by my shoulder pads. And it will cause quite a hold up too.
But particularly I feel sorry for the people sitting either side of me, with Kevlar, plastic shields, and other unpleasantness compromising their on-board space. But hey, I've got my rights, don't you know......
And "if something is not forbidden, then it is allowed"
:banghead:

I am a great believer in reasonableness. Never mind what the law allows or doesn't allow; what would the man on the Clapham omnibus say?

Returning to the theme of "artist and clothing designer"; is there the slightest chance that this whole episode is a nifty way to raise his profile? I suspect not, but I also believe that in the long run this incident will give him a certain notoriety that he will use to his advantage. :hissyfit:
Nothing to see here; move along please.

cpd

Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:14 pm

keesje wrote:
hOMSaR wrote:

OMG is it really necessary to spend bites on this forum discussing the number of pants a person can wear & how tight it would be..

Of course it is. You've been here long enough, you know what it is like. If two flies are crawling up a wall, there will be a debate over which one reaches the top first.

jomur wrote:
At the end of the day the airline can deny someone from boarding for no reason at all.

So if I were working one day and you were to be on my plane, if I so felt like banning you just because I thought it'd be a good joke, I could get away with it? I don't think so. I'd probably be out of a job, or at the very least admonished severely. Well, I don't work in that industry fortunately. And I'm not so cheap that I have to do stunts like this.

What we are seeing is customers becoming as clever and scheming as airlines are. Some airlines are always ready to find some loophole or get-out clause in all manner of situations, but now customers are starting to act the same way, the airlines are totally shocked!? If there handn't been this race to the bottom with these faux cheap prices, this wouldn't be happening.
Last edited by cpd on Wed Jan 17, 2018 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos