Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

thomasphoto60
Topic Author

UA IAH-SYD starts 18 January 2018

Fri Jan 19, 2018 12:57 pm

I suppose like many, I too forgot about this new service. As there appears to be no updated reports on the HAS site, I might have completely forgotten about it myself, had I not checked Flightradar24 and noticed a UA 787 closely tailing NZ29 ( I have my setup configured to read only traffic in and out of IAH). As I am away, I am unaware if local media covered the launch. At this point seems that this new flight has received little notice. Anyone know if there was big celebrations concerning this new route?
Last edited by qf789 on Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added date to title
"Show me the Braniffs"

neomax

Re: IAH-SYD began yesterday.

Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:01 pm

I only found one article on it from KHOU. The irony is not lost on the fact that KHOU is the arch rival of KIAH. :rotfl:

http://www.khou.com/travel/united-now-o ... /509362726

qf789

Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:02 pm

United Airlines was sent out a lot of tweets a week ago about the new service however nothing today

You can see the flight arrive live from Sydney Airport's Instagram account

https://twitter.com/SydneyAirport/statu ... 5773669376
Forum Moderator

EK413

Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:04 pm

thomasphoto60 wrote:
I suppose like many, I too forgot about this new service. As there appears to be no updated reports on the HAS site, I might have completely forgotten about it myself, had I not checked Flightradar24 and noticed a UA 787 closely tailing NZ29 ( I have my setup configured to read only traffic in and out of IAH). As I am away, I am unaware if local media covered the launch. At this point seems that this new flight has received little notice. Anyone know if there was big celebrations concerning this new route?

The inaugural commenced today not yesterday & expect celebrations upon her arrival in SYD.

Flight UA101 from Houston to Sydney
https://fr24.com/UAL101/102b06b6

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

UAL777UK

Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:31 pm

Great stuff. I hope its a success.

thomasphoto60
Topic Author

Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:54 pm

:bigthumbsup:
thomasphoto60 wrote:
neomax wrote:
I only found one article on it from KHOU. The irony is not lost on the fact that KHOU is the arch rival of KIAH. :rotfl:

Good one..... :bigthumbsup:
"Show me the Braniffs"

winginit

Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:47 pm

An interesting time to begin such a service no? We've literally just passed the peak travel window for the market and are headed full speed into the demand trough, with March through May being particularly brutal for travel between the US and Oz.

BC77008

Fri Jan 19, 2018 2:54 pm

neomax wrote:

Good one! And yes, channel 11-KHOU could be considered an arch rival to channel 39-KIAH :lol:
MY favorite airline and hub is bigger and/or better than YOUR favorite airline and hub!

Boeingphan

Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:00 pm

Yeah I read on twitter somewhere that taking off one way it'll take 2 days and coming back you take off and land 75 mins apart on the same day. I find it fascinating stuff to say the least.

United787

Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:13 pm

winginit wrote:
An interesting time to begin such a service no? We've literally just passed the peak travel window for the market and are headed full speed into the demand trough, with March through May being particularly brutal for travel between the US and Oz.

I am sure UA knew about this and have set expectations accordingly. With regulatory approvals and logistical planning, timing doesn't always work out.

RyanairGuru

Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:18 pm

Boeingphan wrote:
Yeah I read on twitter somewhere that taking off one way it'll take 2 days and coming back you take off and land 75 mins apart on the same day. I find it fascinating stuff to say the least.

Which is exactly the same as every other flight from North America to Australia. Nothing unique to this service.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

texdravid

Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:13 pm

Sucks that IAH has flights to both SYD and AKL.

Just goes to show how timid AA/QF are. Even with them being both OW, new planned flights from DFW to MEL or BNE or AKL are languishing.

And look how brave UA is to go to a OW fortress in SYD.

Sheesh. Once again IAH owns DFW. Internationally IAH is always big brother to DFW. In the next few years I fear AI to DEL from IAH. That will sting even worse.
Tort reform now. Throw lawyers in jail later.

LAXdude1023

Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:23 pm

texdravid wrote:

Just goes to show how timid AA/QF are. Even with them being both OW, new planned flights from DFW to MEL or BNE or AKL are languishing.

Sheesh. Once again IAH owns DFW. Internationally IAH is always big brother to DFW. In the next few years I fear AI to DEL from IAH. That will sting even worse.

Is the drama necessary. DFW has PVG, HKG, and ICN which Id personally rather have than SYD. Those are more practical destinations.

Houston is a more international city than Dallas so of course its going to have more service to international destinations, but last I checked DFW was doing very well for itself.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

Obzerva

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:01 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
texdravid wrote:

Is the drama necessary. DFW has PVG, HKG, and ICN which Id personally rather have than SYD. Those are more practical destinations.

Houston is a more international city than Dallas so of course its going to have more service to international destinations, but last I checked DFW was doing very well for itself.

Agreed, I also don’t think DL/VA would consider SYD a oneworld fortress hub, as that imply that no other airline gets a look in, which is clearly not the case.

zkncj

Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:26 pm

texdravid wrote:

UA doesn't operate IAH-AKL, It is operated by NZ with an 789 (Although currently being subbed with an 77E at times due to 3x 789s being grounded). NZ/UA do have an joint venute though.

AVENSAB727

Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:50 pm

zkncj wrote:
texdravid wrote:

UA doesn't operate IAH-AKL, It is operated by NZ with an 789 (Although currently being subbed with an 77E at times due to 3x 789s being grounded). NZ/UA do have an joint venute though.

He meant that IAH has flights to SYD and AKL. Not just UA.
Always look on the bright side of Life!

texdravid

Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:52 pm

I said IAH, not UA.

RyanairGuru

Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:55 am

DFW-AKL makes no sense on QF metal, and AA can’t even make AKL year round from LAX so they’re not going to jump into DFW-AKL. The reality is that with feed on both ends of the route AKL-IAH is practical but AKL-DFW isn’t. If NZ were in One World they’d be flying to DFW and not AKL. If QF was in Star Alliance they’d be flying to IAH and not DFW. Demand from Australia-Pacific to Texas is relatively limited on an O&D basis, those routes live and die on connections. IAH-SYD is viable without (much) feed on one end because Australia is a much larger market than New Zealand.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

qf789

Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:25 am

Video of UA101 getting the water cannon in SYD

https://twitter.com/SydneyAirport/statu ... 1333714944
Forum Moderator

qf789

Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:29 am

UA100 SYD-IAH departed SYD about 10 minutes ago

https://www.flightradar24.com/UAL100/102d8223
Forum Moderator

DWC

Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:49 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
If NZ were in One World they’d be flying to DFW and not AKL.

That typo made my day ;)

NichCage

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:06 am

Nice to see that the 789 is allowing for routes like IAH-SYD to be launched. Hopefully it works out well and lasts.

IAH also has service to all six continents which is also an added bonus.

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but is Indonesia considered to be part of the Australian continent? A few other countries are in it (like New Zealand) are part of it, but I wonder if Indonesia is. For example, AMS has service to five continents, plus CGK if Indonesia is considered one. So does AMS theoretically have service to six continents or no?

LAX772LR

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:37 am

NichCage wrote:
Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but is Indonesia considered to be part of the Australian continent?

No. Very notably an Asian country.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

smi0006

Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:18 am

What a fantastic route to see! Great work from UA, feels like only yesterday they announced the route! Impressive to see three UA 789 in Sydney (scheduled!) at once.

Wouldn't surprise me if the QF / AA JV gets up, if NZ and UA apply to have New Zealand and Australia included as one market for their JV, maybe even add in AC, similar to what has taken place in the Atlantic market. Gives better coverage to BNE/PER/ADL.

jetero

Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:47 am

LAX772LR wrote:
NichCage wrote:
Sorry if this sounds like a dumb question, but is Indonesia considered to be part of the Australian continent?

No. Very notably an Asian country.

What does one (geography) have to do with another (cultural ties)?

jetero

Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:24 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:

I was going to say, all IAH has on its hub airline to get to Asia is NRT, which is conducive enough for connections, but it almost seems easier to connect on UA via LHR to EMEA and South Asia (nevermind FRA) than to Asian destinations via NRT.

That said, isn’t DFW essentially in the same bucket, with essentially all connections routing via NRT? Or are connecting routings common via HKG, PVG, and ICN? (Yes, I know AA has a codeshare with CX from HKG—my question is as to the prevalence of connections to Asian destinations for DFW-originating itineraries via HKG.)

texdravid

Re: UA IAH-SYD starts 18 January 2018

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:34 am

Yeah everyone is answering why DFW-AKL doesn’t exist, but no one is elaborating why DFW-MEL/BNE isn’t happening.
That was the main point of my rant.

With the 787, QF and/or AA should have DFW-SYD daily and then split BNE/MEL 3X each or something like that.

Just feel that IAH and the airlines that serve it are way more aggressive than DFW and its airlines.

DFW has plenty of O&D. Just timidity all around.
Yeah congrats to IAH. But man am I jealous as a DFW fan.

JBusworth

Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:03 am

texdravid wrote:
Yeah everyone is answering why DFW-AKL doesn’t exist, but no one is elaborating why DFW-MEL/BNE isn’t happening.

With the 787, QF and/or AA should have DFW-SYD daily and then split BNE/MEL 3X each or something like that.

Just feel that IAH and the airlines that serve it are way more aggressive than DFW and its airlines.

I think the daily QF A380 kills the chance of seeing AA on that route at the same time. The MEL/BNE-DFW flights will probably still happen, QF continues to grow its US presence but these are routes for the second batch of 787s. For the first 8, QF chosen to do MEL-SFO due to the larger O&D and whilst they may still do BNE-DFW, I think BNE-ORD is more likely has it has more O&D and will more likely stunt UA's Australia growth than new DFW routes.

I wonder what affect the UA 787 on IAH-SYD will have on DFW-SYD yields, then again many Aussies would never fly UA.

RyanairGuru

Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:32 am

texdravid wrote:

Simple: Qantas currently have TWO 787s, and AA won’t touch it absent the JV being approved.

BNE and/or MEL to DFW seem inevitable with 787s 9+ at QF.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

United1

Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:03 pm

UA 100 is just about to cross into Mexico...

https://www.flightradar24.com/UAL100/102d8223
I know the voices in my head aren't real but sometimes their ideas are just awesome!!!

Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:09 pm

[photoid]non[/photoid]

Im always amazed at the guys who design and build planes. Here is a flight that goes 17+ hours, arrives at its destination and refuels. Then what, 2 hours later it flies back. And its mostly water it flies over so they better have gotten it right because not a lot of places to put it down.

DaufuskieGuy

Sat Jan 20, 2018 4:55 pm

JBusworth wrote:
texdravid wrote:

I think the daily QF A380 kills the chance of seeing AA on that route at the same time. The MEL/BNE-DFW flights will probably still happen, QF continues to grow its US presence but these are routes for the second batch of 787s. For the first 8, QF chosen to do MEL-SFO due to the larger O&D and whilst they may still do BNE-DFW, I think BNE-ORD is more likely has it has more O&D and will more likely stunt UA's Australia growth than new DFW routes.

I wonder what affect the UA 787 on IAH-SYD will have on DFW-SYD yields, then again many Aussies would never fly UA.

i thought QF was going to down gauge DFW SYD to 787 and add MEL DFW also 787.

RyanairGuru

Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:44 pm

DaufuskieGuy wrote:
JBusworth wrote:
texdravid wrote:
Yeah everyone is anuswering why DFW-AKL doesn’t exist, but no one is elaborating why DFW-MEL/BNE isn’t happening.

i thought QF was going to down gauge DFW SYD to 787 and add MEL DFW also 787.

Qantas have said nothing of the sort. There was an Anet rumour to that effect, but nothing more. It would be impossible with their first batch of 787s anyway.

On that has anyone been able to show yet that a 789 can make DFW-MEL without a technical stop?
Worked Hard, Flew Right

NichCage

Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:23 pm

How can a flight like IAH-SYD be daily when it skips two days getting there?

RyanairGuru

Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:37 pm

[*]
NichCage wrote:
How can a flight like IAH-SYD be daily when it skips two days getting there?

Eh? It takes two frames to operate daily. If you dedicated two frames to just this one route (which is of course not realistic) each would operate the IAH-SYD sector every second day. Over two weeks it would operate from IAH-SYD on Mon, Wed, Fri, Sun, Tues, Thur, Sat (and back to Monday). The aircraft leave US on Monday and arrives in Sydney on Wednesday, leaves Sydney on Wednesday, and arrives in Houston on Wednesday, ready to go again on Wednesday night.

Every North America-South Pacific route is exactly the same, so I’m not sure why this is a novelty for this particular route.
Last edited by RyanairGuru on Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

EK413

Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:38 pm

Anyone know why there was an aircraft swap upon arrival SYD? The inbound SFO aircraft operated UA100 back to IAH.

EK413

RyanairGuru

Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:40 pm

EK413 wrote:
Anyone know why there was an aircraft swap upon arrival SYD? The inbound SFO aircraft operated UA100 back to IAH.

EK413

Apart from some domestic inter-hub flying Sydney is currently the only 787 route from IAH. They are therefore going to be using Sydney as a bridge to rotate the aircraft in and out of Houston, and aircraft swaps are going to be fairly common on this route.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

EK413

Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:09 am

RyanairGuru wrote:
EK413 wrote:

EK413

Apart from some domestic inter-hub flying Sydney is currently the only 787 route from IAH. They are therefore going to be using Sydney as a bridge to rotate the aircraft in and out of Houston, and aircraft swaps are going to be fairly common on this route.

Cheers, so I take it SFO will be the most common to rotate the aircraft as that’s their main maintenance base? Going to be interesting should one of the inbounds run late.

EK413

iahcsr

Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:16 pm

EK413 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
EK413 wrote:

EK413

Cheers, so I take it SFO will be the most common to rotate the aircraft as that’s their main maintenance base? Going to be interesting should one of the inbounds run late.

EK413

The last couple days the aircraft routing has been MEL LAX IAH SYD SFO and show same for the next two days as well. In the other direction SFO SYD IAH (long sit ...Mx?) LAX.
Last edited by iahcsr on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

neomax

Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:31 pm

iahcsr wrote:
EK413 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

EK413

The last couple days the aircraft routing has been MEL LAX IAH SYD SFO and show same for the next two days as well.

Yup! The domestic 787 is back!

B737900ER

Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:46 pm

EK413 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
EK413 wrote:

EK413

EK413

UA is capable of doing maintenance at any hub. So operational efficiency would be the deciding factor.

And while SFO may employ the most tech ops workers I would hardly refer to it as the main maintenance base.

neomax

Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:01 pm

B737900ER wrote:
And while SFO may employ the most tech ops workers I would hardly refer to it as the main maintenance base.

I mean they don't call it the Superbay for nothing! :D

EK413

Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:14 pm

B737900ER wrote:
EK413 wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

EK413

UA is capable of doing maintenance at any hub. So operational efficiency would be the deciding factor.

Main maintenance base perhaps ain’t the correct term however it’s clear UA perform majority of the workload in SFO. From memory when UA operated the B747 to SYD & aircraft went tech they’ll nightstopped the SFO Service opposed to LAX. I believe it’s easier to sub an aircraft ex-SFO?

EK413

psa1011

Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:57 pm

What do people think about the possibility of UA starting SFO-BNE/MEL? Seems strange that AC now has more service to YVR than UA at SFO.

B737900ER

Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:59 pm

EK413 wrote:
B737900ER wrote:
EK413 wrote:

EK413

Main maintenance base perhaps ain’t the correct term however it’s clear UA perform majority of the workload in SFO. From memory when UA operated the B747 to SYD & aircraft went tech they’ll nightstopped the SFO Service opposed to LAX. I believe it’s easier to sub an aircraft ex-SFO?

EK413

It may seem that way. But there are hubs that have a higher yield than SFO, meaning they get more work done. I’ll leave it at that because although my statement is fact based some are too emotional to accept it.

B737900ER

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:01 pm

neomax wrote:
B737900ER wrote:

I mean they don't call it the Superbay for nothing! :D

SFOMM is a ghost town compared to its glory years. And it’s high cost of living and operational costs are going to keep it that way

AMERICAN757

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:04 pm

I believe UA broke ground in late 2016 on a new Maintenance facility at IAH centered around the wide-body fleet.

DaufuskieGuy

Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:54 pm

AMERICAN757 wrote:
I believe UA broke ground in late 2016 on a new Maintenance facility at IAH centered around the wide-body fleet.

quite symbolic of the larger CA to TX exodus (UHaul rates are double to leave CA versus enter it)

LAXintl

Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:44 pm

Route will be reduced to 5x weekly effective August.

Will return daily starting Oct. 22nd for peak northern winter season.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

joeljack

Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:49 pm

LAXintl wrote:
Route will be reduced to 5x weekly effective August.

Will return daily starting Oct. 22nd for peak northern winter season.

Friend just flew to SYD via IAH a week or two ago, he said business class was 3/4 full but economy had less than 40 people in it. He flew back via LAX...SYD-LAX was full in business class and economy had about 50 people in it he said.

Not saying a sample size of 2 flights means anything but maybe it does saying that it is being reduced to 5x weekly.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos