airplaneboy
Topic Author

WN & DL make 2018 Fortune’s Most Admired Companies List

Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:35 am

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/southwes ... rc=applewf

http://fortune.com/worlds-most-admired-companies/list/

Congratulations to Southwest and Delta. Southwest came in at number 8, and Delta at 31. Both companies are run exceptionally well. This is the 24th consecutive year WN has made the list. Cheers to both organizations!

ilovelamp

Re: WN & DL make 2018 Fortune’s Most Admired Companies List

Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:39 am

I have no idea how this list works, but Delta is ranked #1 in their industry and SWA third yet they are placed overall like you mention.

neomax

Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:13 am

Boeing is ranked above Delta and DL is one spot above SQ (?)

Lockheed, AF/KL, Airbus, NH, CX, LH, QF also make appearances.

Suffice to say, more than a few of these baffle me.

panamair

Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:49 am

The individual industry list is voted on by executives and others involved in that particular industry (i.e., airline execs and airline analysts voted Delta #1, Singapore #2, etc.), while the overall list is voted on by everyone across industries (i.e., execs from various industries voted Southwest #8 overall, Delta #31 overall, and Singapore #32 overall).

DWC

Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:58 am

Because this forum was created in Europe by Europans, let me rant a little :
1. FORTUNE is a nobody media outside fortress USA.
2. If the Financial Times ran such stupid Billboard Top Hits, BA, LH, EW, FR & U2 would rank first.
3. In fact, seen from anywhere else in the world, AK, EK, FZ, G9, QR or SQ would come up first.
4. I can't see why execs worldwise would rank DL first, J in Europe is a joke, but much of Asia has offered better products than the US3.
In a way, Fortune reminds of Skytrax awarding 5 stars to LH : both laughable.

AirCalSNA

Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:20 am

DWC wrote:
Because this forum was created in Europe by Europans, let me rant a little :
1. FORTUNE is a nobody media outside fortress USA.
2. If the Financial Times ran such stupid Billboard Top Hits, BA, LH, EW, FR & U2 would rank first.
3. In fact, seen from anywhere else in the world, AK, EK, FZ, G9, QR or SQ would come up first.
4. I can't see why execs worldwise would rank DL first, J in Europe is a joke, but much of Asia has offered better products than the US3.
In a way, Fortune reminds of Skytrax awarding 5 stars to LH : both laughable.

I'm not sure the rant is well-taken, as I would expect executives to admire qualities that may or may not related to the "product" as seen from a customer's point of view, such as the wisdom of decisions as to growth, year-to-year stability, brand identity, strategic investment decisions and the like. That's why a company like Southwest, for example, would probably top the other companies that you think should come out on top based solely on customer experience. Unquestionably Southwest is not a luxury airline and the others you mention all beat it in terms of amenities and the like. But Southwest has been very successful in creating strong brand loyalty and often crushing more "luxurious" competition (e.g., Virgin America's unsuccessful attempt to serve SNA many years ago). As for DL, I think they are still largely non-unionized, which something executives, as I imagine, think is a pretty mean feat.

DWC

Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:30 am

AirCalSNA wrote:
I'm not sure the rant is well-taken, as I would expect executives to admire qualities that may or may not related to the "product" as seen from a customer's point of view, such as the wisdom of decisions as to growth, year-to-year stability, brand identity, strategic investment decisions and the like. That's why a company like Southwest, for example, would probably top the other companies that you think should come out on top based solely on customer experience. Unquestionably Southwest is not a luxury airline and the others you mention all beat it in terms of amenities and the like. But Southwest has been very successful in creating strong brand loyalty and often crushing more "luxurious" competition (e.g., Virgin America's unsuccessful attempt to serve SNA many years ago). As for DL, I think they are still largely non-unionized, which something executives, as I imagine, think is a pretty mean feat.

What I am saying is that the Fortune results as well are your references are statiscally skewed towards US users, as if the USA were the whole world. Admitedly, the fact that the forum is all in English keeps many other nationalities away & thus support that impression.
Fortune's results are possibly valid for the US public & SNA Pax, but certainly not worldwide : if you have any idea of the industry in Europe or Asia as your username would suggest, you'd know ASAP these results are not consistent with them.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos