Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

IADCA

Re: New Icelandair livery coming

Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:23 pm

arcticcruiser wrote:
Etkas wrote:
I have very strong feelings about the Icelandair livery. It's an unpopular opinion I know but I actually liked the old livery better, the white and blue one as can be seen in this photo: https://imgproc.airliners.net/photos/air ... .jpg?v=v40

For some reason I've disliked the yellow since it was changed, possibly because it doesn't represent Iceland in any way. I know the current one is easier to identify in the sky but I really think the original could have been updated to fix that problem. Now the newest livery additions with Hekla Aurora and the glacier one are more on par with Iceland. In my opinion the original livery next to them would look amazing.

Icelandair are obviously still using yellow but I'm very excited to see the rest of the livery, does anyone know when the delivery will happen?

As far as I've heard here in Iceland, the Europe predictions are true for 737's and the 757's will be kept.

P.S. While I'm at it, Icelandair is really missing an opportunity by not using its first 757, TF-FIH, as part of the latest advertising campaigns by giving it a special livery like Hekla. It was the plane that started Icelandairs's relationships with the 757 and is the ONLY plane in their fleet that has been with Icelandair since it left Boeing in 1990. It was always a special plane to fly on and I've been hoping they give it the respect it deserves but sadly it has ended its passenger service and has been converted to cargo. It doesn't even have its name anymore. :(

TF-FIH is a freighter now. TF-FII was delivered a month later than FIH. Still in the fleet, although it has been used in several wet-lease contracts.

If you look at TF-FII's recent flight activity, it looks like it's doing one right now, actually.

mjoelnir

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:39 pm

Bricktop wrote:
QXAS wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:
The 737-8 can not go anywhere in the USA, at least not from KEF.

That doesn’t sound accurate, KEF-BOS is 2413 miles. If that’s not within range of the 737-8 from KEF then the MAX 8 would not have the sales it does. I’d expect the MAX 8 to get around 3400 miles. Which puts BNA, ATL, STL, and ANC in range from KEF. Even if it can’t make 3400 miles, the jet certainly can make North America. To say it can’t is utterly ridiculous and downright uninformed. They will use the MAX 8 to CLE.

I think you're getting hung up on an English language semantic thing. "Anywhere" can mean "nowhere" or "everywhere" depending on context. When I tell my misbehaving teenager "You're not going anywhere!" that means "there is nowhere you can go". Conversely, if he replies "I can go anywhere I want", he means everywhere. I think mjoelnir's meaning in this case is the "everywhere" definition. Obviously a MAX8 can go KEF-BOS, but certainly not KEF-LAX. Somewhere in the USA, not everywhere. ;-)

Thank you for explaining my words.

Mjoelnir

QXAS

Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:09 pm

Bricktop wrote:
QXAS wrote:
mjoelnir wrote:
The 737-8 can not go anywhere in the USA, at least not from KEF.

That doesn’t sound accurate, KEF-BOS is 2413 miles. If that’s not within range of the 737-8 from KEF then the MAX 8 would not have the sales it does. I’d expect the MAX 8 to get around 3400 miles. Which puts BNA, ATL, STL, and ANC in range from KEF. Even if it can’t make 3400 miles, the jet certainly can make North America. To say it can’t is utterly ridiculous and downright uninformed. They will use the MAX 8 to CLE.

I think you're getting hung up on an English language semantic thing. "Anywhere" can mean "nowhere" or "everywhere" depending on context. When I tell my misbehaving teenager "You're not going anywhere!" that means "there is nowhere you can go". Conversely, if he replies "I can go anywhere I want", he means everywhere. I think mjoelnir's meaning in this case is the "everywhere" definition. Obviously a MAX8 can go KEF-BOS, but certainly not KEF-LAX. Somewhere in the USA, not everywhere. ;-)

I sure hope that’s the case. mjoelnir is typically a reliable poster. Taking that sort of shot at the 738 is unlikely. I don’t know the European brand of english, but where I am, my interpretation is how the vast majority would. Thank you for clearing that up for me.
I am NOT an employee of any airline or manufacturer. I speak for myself, not on the behalf of any company.

N766UA

Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:20 pm

While I’m here... what *is* Ice Air’s logo? Is it an I? An F? A torch? I’ve always liked it but I’ve never figured out what it is!

KLDC10

Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:56 pm

N766UA wrote:
While I’m here... what *is* Ice Air’s logo? Is it an I? An F? A torch? I’ve always liked it but I’ve never figured out what it is!

It's a flying 'F', from their predeccessor (founded in 1937) 'Flugfélag Íslands'. 'Flugfélag Íslands' merged with 'Loftleiðir' in 1979, though it was more a case of the former buying out the latter. The new company became known as 'Icelandair'.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146
737/738/739/744/748/752/763/772/789
A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/A346/A359
Q400/E170/E175/E190/CS300

SRQKEF

Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:57 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
N766UA wrote:

It's a flying 'F', from their predeccessor (founded in 1937) 'Flugfélag Íslands'. 'Flugfélag Íslands' merged with 'Loftleiðir' in 1979, though it was more a case of the former buying out the latter. The new company became known as 'Icelandair'.

Well, actually you’re only half right. It is indeed correct that the logo is a hybrid of a F and wing which makes it a flying F. However, the F stands for “Flugleiðir” (direct translation would be “Airways”) which was the Icelandic name of Icelandair from the merger of FÍ and LL in 1973 until they took up the Icelandair name in Iceland too in 1998.
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

KLDC10

Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:04 pm

SRQKEF wrote:
KLDC10 wrote:
N766UA wrote:

Well, actually you’re only half right. It is indeed correct that the logo is a hybrid of a F and wing which makes it a flying F. However, the F stands for “Flugleiðir” (direct translation would be “Airways”) which was the Icelandic name of Icelandair from the merger of FÍ and LL in 1973 until they took up the Icelandair name in Iceland too in 1998.

Ah yes, that's where I'm getting confused. Thanks for clearing that up :)
If I'm correct, however, the merger in 1973 was not completed until 1979? I.e. integration of the two airlines. At least, that's when Loftleiðir ceased operations for good.

And of course, for anyone reading this, the previous 'Loftleiðir' is not to be confused with the current 'Loftleiðir', which is a subsidiary of the Icelandair group and provides both charter flights and wet leases. The 757 which landed in Antarctica a couple of years ago was operated by 'Loftleiðir' I believe.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146
737/738/739/744/748/752/763/772/789
A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/A346/A359
Q400/E170/E175/E190/CS300

arcticcruiser

Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:13 pm

KLDC10 wrote:

And of course, for anyone reading this, the previous 'Loftleiðir' is not to be confused with the current 'Loftleiðir', which is a subsidiary of the Icelandair group and provides both charter flights and wet leases. The 757 which landed in Antarctica a couple of years ago was operated by 'Loftleiðir' I believe.

The Antarctic operation was a Loftleiðir wet-lease, but operated by Icelandair crew and on the Icelandair AOC. Loftleiðir does not hold an AOC.

SRQKEF

Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:01 am

KLDC10 wrote:
SRQKEF wrote:
KLDC10 wrote:

Ah yes, that's where I'm getting confused. Thanks for clearing that up :)
If I'm correct, however, the merger in 1973 was not completed until 1979? I.e. integration of the two airlines. At least, that's when Loftleiðir ceased operations for good.

Yep, correct on both counts. My dad is actually the founder of the current Loftleiðir wet-lease operation back in 2003. :)

tommyarias

Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:27 am

From Boeing's site:

The only change will be the split-tip winglet.
"Insert Generic Signature or Quote" - Generic Name

rj777

Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:44 am

my guess is that Boeing put that up there to hide the actual livery.

F27500

Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:51 am

I'll take a stab at it .. its gonna be an all white fuselage .. the blue on the tail swooshing down under the tail ... and the "ICELANDAIR" titles in huge billboard titles in front of the wing.

REVOLUTIONARY.

kanban

Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:20 am

word is they are combining a stylized fish and Westerns famous slogan "The Only Way to Fly" over the cargo doors :duck:

Etkas

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:19 am

arcticcruiser wrote:
Etkas wrote:

P.S. While I'm at it, Icelandair is really missing an opportunity by not using its first 757, TF-FIH, as part of the latest advertising campaigns by giving it a special livery like Hekla. It was the plane that started Icelandairs's relationships with the 757 and is the ONLY plane in their fleet that has been with Icelandair since it left Boeing in 1990. It was always a special plane to fly on and I've been hoping they give it the respect it deserves but sadly it has ended its passenger service and has been converted to cargo. It doesn't even have its name anymore. :(

TF-FIH is a freighter now. TF-FII was delivered a month later than FIH. Still in the fleet, although it has been used in several wet-lease contracts.

Thank you for the response, yes TF-FII is important too. I'll be very happy if it's actually getting a livery update! I wonder if it'll be related to its name, Eyjafjallajökull, the volcano that grounded the air traffic in 2010.

But like you say, TF-FII wasn't always with Icelandair and was sort of a background plane. All the Icelandair plane models, advertising and media proudly promoted TF-FIH as the flagship of the fleet.

SRQKEF

Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:56 am

Those of you who are predicting how the new livery looks like, there isn't one. The MAX will have just the same livery as the 757 and 767, minus the tiny and minor tweaks posted above.

icelandair75w

Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:34 pm

SRQKEF wrote:
Those of you who are predicting how the new livery looks like, there isn't one. The MAX will have just the same livery as the 757 and 767, minus the tiny and minor tweaks posted above.

I did hear however that they may introduce a twist on one (1 single) MAX aircraft in the future, but that could just be a rumour, who knows ;)

JannEejit

Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:18 pm

KLDC10 wrote:
N766UA wrote:

Speaking of Loftleidir, I recall reading that it used to be nicknamed 'The hippie airline' back when students/backpackers would use it as an early days transatlantic low cost airline between the US and Europe via KEF. I believe Bill and Hilary Clinton were two such students who used them for this purpose. I myself though can recall flying on a Loftleidir branded 737-300 operating for FlyGlobespan on a sunshine trip from Glasgow to Tenerife as recently as 2004.

SRQKEF

Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:44 pm

JannEejit wrote:
KLDC10 wrote:
N766UA wrote:

Speaking of Loftleidir, I recall reading that it used to be nicknamed 'The hippie airline' back when students/backpackers would use it as an early days transatlantic low cost airline between the US and Europe via KEF. I believe Bill and Hilary Clinton were two such students who used them for this purpose. I myself though can recall flying on a Loftleidir branded 737-300 operating for FlyGlobespan on a sunshine trip from Glasgow to Tenerife as recently as 2004.

Yep, that's correct! Offered low-cost JFK-KEF-LUX.

You surely mean a 763? Loftleidir only has 752s and 763s, both of which operated for Globespan back in the day.

lostsound

Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:23 pm

I don't see any evidence of a new livery. I'm guessing someone misspoke and it will look like the rest of the fleet with at most minor changes.

JannEejit

Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:42 pm

SRQKEF wrote:
JannEejit wrote:
KLDC10 wrote:

Yep, that's correct! Offered low-cost JFK-KEF-LUX.

You surely mean a 763? Loftleidir only has 752s and 763s, both of which operated for Globespan back in the day.

I got that wrong, the aircraft in question came from Islandsflug, not Lofteleidir. My bad etc...

CarlosSi

Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:44 pm

I thought the F was supposed to represent the auroras.

SRQKEF

Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:53 pm

CarlosSi wrote:
I thought the F was supposed to represent the auroras.

Nope. However, I can see why you’d think that as the ‘lines’ are similar, and would love to see the how the tail logo would look in aurora colors on TF-FIU! :)

SRQKEF

Subtle livery change for Icelandair

Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:16 am

Seems like FI has made a small change to the livery on the new 737MAX after all! In addition to the already noted logoless outboard winglet, the orange tail logo is of a different more pastel-like color than before and the fuselage is much more white. Personally, I have to say I really don’t like the changes and hope they don’t apply them to the 757s and 767s...too many white fuselages in the skies already!

Photo:

https://mobile.twitter.com/KariKarason1 ... 8069928964

And the previous livery for comparision (note different tail logo and fuselage):

NickolayAv

Re: Subtle livery change for Icelandair

Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:55 am

Another day and another airline that is ruining its livery.
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson

AA737-823

Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:03 am

Now let's not get too carried away.
Lufthansa has ruined their brand, yes. (What on earth were they thinking, with that stupid yellow square at ONE door? Dumbest thing I ever saw on a plane)
But this is a very MILD update. The colors are all still there. The main effect is basically the same.
I can't say that I like the very one-dimensional tail logo. Looks like they took all the depth out of it. But maybe better photos will change my mind.

But yeah, this is hardly "ruined," at all. Just a little refresh.

EA CO AS

Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:05 am

Looks like the "Icelandair" titles are missing from the tail as well.
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

CBBW

Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:11 am

AA737-823 wrote:
Now let's not get too carried away.
Lufthansa has ruined their brand, yes.

Yes, we wouldn't want to be hyperbolic here! :lol:

I'm not a fan of this at first glance. I liked the colour gradient and title on the tail and I don't think that the downward curve on the blue underbelly adds anything. Oh, well.

N766UA

Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:17 am

Um, subtle? What the f#&% is that?!

Icelandair has one of the classier liveries out there; they've totally ruined it! God, no!

jeffh747

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:02 am

I can barely tell any difference, other than the revised livery looks a little bit cleaner. It doesn't look that bad at all. They could've gone completely Lufthansa on us and ruined it, so I'll chalk it up as a positive change.
ATR-72-600, A318 A319 A320 A320neo A321 A321neo A332 A333 B717 B727 B734 B73G B738 B739 B752 B762 B763 B772 B788 CRJ2 DHC6 DHC8-300 E145 E190 MD82 MD83 MD90 SF340B

Kno

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:18 am

Awful. Cheap and tacky.

DTWorld

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:20 am

Also is it just me, or does it look like the shade of blue on the tail is lighter?

Sad to see this. Icelandair had such a simple yet classy livery that I loved seeing. At least we still have the aurora paints which are beyond gorgeous.

B6JFKH81

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:23 am

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1384287

Was also discussed here. ;-)
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

LHUSA

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:25 am

Mission accomplished - if their goal is to look like a generic LCC. Cheap and a major downgrade.

SRQKEF

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:51 am

According to one source on a local aviation group in Iceland, it will go through more painting once in KEF where the full livery will be applied. Sure hope that's the case!

Themotionman

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:15 am

SRQKEF wrote:
According to one source on a local aviation group in Iceland, it will go through more painting once in KEF where the full livery will be applied. Sure hope that's the case!

I hope that's the case too. Seems like the finer details have yet to be painted like the logo on the winglets and the texture and name of the tail logo.
Last edited by Themotionman on Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:16 am, edited 3 times in total.

arcticcruiser

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:06 am

Themotionman wrote:
SRQKEF wrote:

I hope that's the case too. Seems like the finer details have yet to be painted like the logo on the winglets and the texture and name of the tail logo.

Apparently that is the case. More work to be done. Looks kinda bland. But then again it is a 737. Bland is what they are.

TheLion

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:50 am

arcticcruiser wrote:
Themotionman wrote:
SRQKEF wrote:

Apparently that is the case. More work to be done. Looks kinda bland. But then again it is a 737. Bland is what they are.

I hope they get rid of the title on the tail. Tail titles don’t really suit airlines for the most part. An exception is Virgin, whose signature motif IS their identity.

OA940

Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:14 am

This is barely any change, and once again this site displays the fear of change perfectly. It's a perfectly fine livery.
A350/CSeries = bae

oldannyboy

Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:03 pm

...Subtle my ass!!! It's an entirely white fuselage... guys, are we looking at the same darn thing? Yes??

Looks cheap, generic and tacky as hell, if that is truly going to stay like that, and do away with the all the detailing and the lovely blue belly. The new logo looks awful, and the ugly-duckling looks of the 737 do indeed their part!

Dahlgardo

Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:19 pm

Strange to see an Icelandair 737 again after so many years.
They should do a retro livery now they have re-acquired this jurassic type of aircraft.
leave your nines at home and bring your skills to the battle

pallvidar

Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:53 pm

Quite the downgrade in quality

Slash787

Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:12 pm

I really liked their Northern Lights Livery

lostsound

Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:18 pm

This livery looks older than their current one. Almost like they've leased the plane from another airline and halfassed their branding over it.
So disappointed, the belly with the line had so much more character.

SRQKEF

Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:43 pm

Like I said, from what I’ve heard today the rest of the livery will be added once it gets to KEF.

hvusslax

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:00 pm

I wouldn't mind losing the name from the tail. It defeats the point of the logo which should be iconic enough to stand on its own. But I guess it will be added at KEF and they are finishing the belly there as well.

dc855

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:12 pm

SRQKEF wrote:

Sorry for going a bit off topic. But can you give me links to Icelandic aviation groups. I'd be very interested in checking them out. :)

Runway28L

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:27 pm

I would've been fine with this if the name was kept on the tail and maybe the "F" was on the winglets. Not so sure how I feel about this update.

ACCS300

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:28 pm

Don't mind the titles being removed from the vertical fin either, having it 2x is a bit redundant, perhaps the logo could have been made a bit larger as a result.

bgm

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:34 pm

It looks like the decals are missing, that would explain the more basic looking livery.

ahj2000

Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:06 pm

I actually kind of like this. Especially the grey belly, maybe not so much much new yellow/orange colour. We will have to see what’ve the final results are.
-Andrés Juánez