Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Overthecascades
Topic Author

Xiamen Air in Seattle

Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:56 am

How’s it doing? Future plans? I was able to find schedule beyond Oct this year which I find it odd. Is that normal?

NichCage

Re: Xiamen Air in Seattle

Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:08 pm

I might not be able to answer the question, but it must be doing well if it is still being operated.

I also don't understand how Shenzhen can handle an flight to North America, considering how close they are to CAN and HKG. The local market between Seattle and Shenzhen must be rather small I assume. I guess the plane picks up most passengers in Xiamen, stops over in Shenzhen, and goes on to Seattle. What market does this flight even serve?

I understand why Xiamen Air is serving YVR and LAX (because they have large Asian populations) but seeing them at SEA makes me wonder what there trying to go for.

masgniw

Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:38 pm

NichCage wrote:
I also don't understand how Shenzhen can handle an flight to North America, considering how close they are to CAN and HKG.

There is no CAN-SEA service and there's only one HKG-SEA flight on DL (I don't think it's even daily). Further, crossing the border into/out of HKG is a non-negligible experience that could tack hours onto your travel.

Also, keep in mind that Shenzen is home to 12 million people.

Overthecascades
Topic Author

Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:38 pm

The route was an outcome when President Xi visited seattle several years ago. At least it’s what I hear. Shenzhen prefecture is a much bigger, richer and more commercially important hub (stock market is in Shenzhen plus Alibaba and lots tech startups) than Xiamen that’s why the route is backtracking like this. Not that I like how it’s planned. :-)

717atOGG

Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:43 pm

SEA-SZX is changing from 2 to 3 flights per week in May, which is a promising sign, albeit a small one. RT flights are now consistently $800-$1100, which is an improvement from when they were around $500 before. Having DL feed, SZX essentially being a secondary airport for HKG, and lots of tech companies in Shenzhen are probably the reasons for operating the flight. Other than that, I don't know how they're doing in SEA.
A320/321, A332, 712, 73G/8/9ER, 744, 752/3, E145, E175, CR9

Overthecascades
Topic Author

Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:56 pm

717atOGG wrote:
SEA-SZX is changing from 2 to 3 flights per week in May, which is a promising sign, albeit a small one. RT flights are now consistently $800-$1100, which is an improvement from when they were around $500 before. Having DL feed, SZX essentially being a secondary airport for HKG, and lots of tech companies in Shenzhen are probably the reasons for operating the flight. Other than that, I don't know how they're doing in SEA.

Thank you. Shouldn’t we see October and November schedule and prices in places like google flights by now? I didn’t so I wanted to check with folks here

wedgetail737

Sun Jan 21, 2018 6:16 pm

717atOGG wrote:

Correction...the SEA-SZX flights are going from 3X to 4X weekly this summer. One of the last times I was at SEA, the Xiamen ticket counter had a fairly long line of check-ins. I would like to hope they are doing fairly well.

DL is going to a daily 777-200ER on the SEA-HKG route this summer. Off the subject a little bit, I'm still holding out that CX will start SEA-HKG sooner rather than later with A350 equipment.

Polarisguy

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:11 pm

masgniw wrote:
NichCage wrote:
I also don't understand how Shenzhen can handle an flight to North America, considering how close they are to CAN and HKG.

There is no CAN-SEA service and there's only one HKG-SEA flight on DL (I don't think it's even daily). Further, crossing the border into/out of HKG is a non-negligible experience that could tack hours onto your travel.

DL39 makes the trip 7x week. Originates in ATL with 763 then changes in SEA for 330. Not a bad flight flew it on 30 oct. planes were full both legs
Flown on DC3, 6,7,8,9,10 Conviar 440,880, Boeing 707,717,727,737,7472-3-4, Concorde, HS125, Lear23, Airbus 318,319,320,330 YS11, Saab340, Short 330,360, Cessna 150,172,177,210,310,340,421

wedgetail737

Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:19 pm

Polarisguy wrote:
masgniw wrote:
NichCage wrote:

DL39 makes the trip 7x week. Originates in ATL with 763 then changes in SEA for 330. Not a bad flight flew it on 30 oct. planes were full both legs

That 330 goes to a 777-200ER this summer.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos