DobboDobbo
Topic Author

Re: MAN news - 2018

Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:14 pm

I’m with you on almost all of those points.

If VS were to open a second MAN-Florida route, I’d be shocked if it wasn’t MIA (chiefly because they are already well set up there from the LHR flight). I could see TPA at a push, but even that seems unlikely from VS (as opposed to TCX).

The big unknown factors for VS at MAN are: (i) how they can offer attractive options for the India-USA market; and (ii) can they leverage BE to connect regional UK into their network?

These might help marginal route decisions like MIA.

Scottiedog

Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:37 pm

Courtesy of PlaneTalk Issue 70 - to whom full credit is given. Please do not copy to any other Forum or Threads.

David_itl

Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:14 pm

Half year profits up for the Group. £40 million dividend to the local councils, MAN maintained a busier simmer than STN even after Monarch's collapse. The signs are there for a busy 2019....

"The new long haul routes, coupled with strong short haul growth that backfilled Monarch’s capacity and a resurgence in Summer traffic to Turkey, means MAG forecasts a return to significant passenger growth for Manchester for the remainder of the year and for next Summer."

https://www.thebusinessdesk.com/northwest/news/2033628-solid-summer-for-manchester-airports-group

David_itl

Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:29 am

Airlneroute has reported that Ethiopian is running a 777 on the 16rth December. Hopefully it's a result of heavy MAN demand and not due to heavy BRU demand!

Scottiedog

Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:46 pm

Issue 71 of PlaneTalk was published last Friday. Unfortunately some of the photos relating to airside workings appear to be repeated from the previous week, however I have included them for the sake of completeness.

Please do not copy to any other Forums or Thread.

This photo doesn't seem to have been updated for many weeks

This set of photos appears to be the same as in last week's edition.

DobboDobbo
Topic Author

Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:10 pm

November 2018 Stats

Rolling 12 month total: 28,145,259
November 2018 total: 1,854,322
% change YoY: +7.1%

“Manchester Airport has now seen two successive months of strong growth in passenger numbers, as the successful ‘backfill’ of slots previously operated by Monarch leads to further growth across the winter season. This growth was further bolstered by the successful introduction of a new long haul link from Manchester to Mumbai with Jet Airways. Overall, long haul traffic to the Caribbean, Middle East and Asia was up 8.8% year on year as Manchester continues to play a major role in connecting the North to global economic hubs”.

https://mediacentre.magairports.com/mag ... ve-season/

jubaexpress

Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:52 pm

Any idea on the numbers on the inaugural Ethiopian flight, which I think was slated for yesterday (11th December)?

User001

Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:00 pm

Seen it reported that there were 54 in and 220 out. The ET CEO was onboard too. With 220 MAN pax out, that didn’t leave much room for BRU pax!

jubaexpress

Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:57 pm

User001 wrote:
Seen it reported that there were 54 in and 220 out. The ET CEO was onboard too. With 220 MAN pax out, that didn’t leave much room for BRU pax!

Assuming there is no 5th freedom, that's impressive!

How do they allocate seats on a flight like this? It's clearly not 50:50, so did they let Manchester get more seats this round because it's the inaugural and in the future it's more like 50:50? Or do they just let pricing win? The ET flights from Brussels in the past have always loaded quite well, though not full as it always stops elsewhere.

DobboDobbo
Topic Author

Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:05 pm

I suppose this reflects that MAN is an overwhelmingly outbound market.

In the meantime, some PR puff on the new route in the link below.

In addition to the quoted comments, the ET CEO made (pretty standard for this type of occasion) comments that future bookings were encouraging and he hoped to increase frequency to daily and (I think - it was on video and the sound was not clear) non-stop.

https://mediacentre.manchesterairport.c ... takes-off/

jubaexpress

Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:18 pm

DobboDobbo wrote:

In addition to the quoted comments, the ET CEO made (pretty standard for this type of occasion) comments that future bookings were encouraging and he hoped to increase frequency to daily and (I think - it was on video and the sound was not clear) non-stop.

I don't really think this is a surprise, though? It's always been an outbound leisure market.

Also given the countries ET serves and the restrictive visa regime for many, it will probably stay that way, too.

Mullion

Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:26 pm

There is a lot of business traffic to Africa and Ethiopian should pick quite a sizable ammount and after watching that programme about the Foreign Office I think they are aiming at a lot more after Brexit.

Luftymatt

Thu Dec 13, 2018 12:13 am

DobboDobbo wrote:

It wouldn't be an accurate assumption to make based solely on the inaugural flight.
chase the sun

Lablade

Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:37 am

Disappointing to see that Thomas Cook has apparently pushed back the start of Man-Lax to June, rather than beginning in May.

Any chance that could change or are schedules for 2019 locked in now?

DobboDobbo
Topic Author

Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:31 am

Luftymatt wrote:
DobboDobbo wrote:

It wouldn't be an accurate assumption to make based solely on the inaugural flight.

I take your point - albeit my view is based on a wider body of evidence than the ET inaugural flight (or the 9W one for that matter).

DobboDobbo
Topic Author

Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:36 am

jubaexpress wrote:
DobboDobbo wrote:

I don't really think this is a surprise, though? It's always been an outbound leisure market.

Also given the countries ET serves and the restrictive visa regime for many, it will probably stay that way, too.

I agree with the first part (outbound) but I think the term “leisure” is a bit of a misnomer as the overwhelming majority of air travel (wherever you look) is properly classified as “leisure” travel.

Agree with the ET service point as well. I suspect there will be decent two way traffic with South Africa, Kenya, Namibia (and quite possibly the West African oil hotspots) but I suspect the vast majority will be outbound.

jubaexpress

Thu Dec 13, 2018 9:28 am

DobboDobbo wrote:
jubaexpress wrote:
DobboDobbo wrote:

I agree with the first part (outbound) but I think the term “leisure” is a bit of a misnomer as the overwhelming majority of air travel (wherever you look) is properly classified as “leisure” travel.

Agree with the ET service point as well. I suspect there will be decent two way traffic with South Africa, Kenya, Namibia (and quite possibly the West African oil hotspots) but I suspect the vast majority will be outbound.

I've tried on many occasions to have Kenyan and South African friends visit the UK (even with residence cards from the Schengen Zone) who were denied. I cannot imagine there will be a lot of traffic originating from those countries, even South Africa.

Though I'm not sure I understand your point about leisure traffic? Are you saying that most people globally are travelling for leisure, or there is some statistic fudge going on?

There's no shame in leisure travel. My point was rather it's Manchester to the world, rather than the world descending on Manchester.

DobboDobbo
Topic Author

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:44 am

jubaexpress wrote:
DobboDobbo wrote:
jubaexpress wrote:

I've tried on many occasions to have Kenyan and South African friends visit the UK (even with residence cards from the Schengen Zone) who were denied. I cannot imagine there will be a lot of traffic originating from those countries, even South Africa.

Though I'm not sure I understand your point about leisure traffic? Are you saying that most people globally are travelling for leisure, or there is some statistic fudge going on?

There's no shame in leisure travel. My point was rather it's Manchester to the world, rather than the world descending on Manchester.

No criticism from me - I think you make good points - particularly with it being Manchester (and the rest of “the North”) to the world.

The point with leisure travel is statistics wise. I think something like 80-85% of UK air travel is leisure traffic (I forget the exact figures but it is somewhere in the airports commission documentation).

David_itl

Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:17 pm

United's 767 operations now announced....

"“The introduction of the Boeing 767-400 aircraft is the most significant increase in capacity on our nonstop Manchester – New York/Newark service in over a decade and underscores our commitment to Manchester and the North-West of England. "

Nice passing reference about what previous expansion was like... if only we could go back to the olden days of the route going 757, DC10, 777 then 2 757s....
[url]​https://www.businesstraveller.com/business-travel/2018/12/13/united-to-increase-capacity-on-manchester-newark-route/​​​[/url]

jubaexpress

Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:26 am

DobboDobbo wrote:
jubaexpress wrote:
DobboDobbo wrote:

No criticism from me - I think you make good points - particularly with it being Manchester (and the rest of “the North”) to the world.

The point with leisure travel is statistics wise. I think something like 80-85% of UK air travel is leisure traffic (I forget the exact figures but it is somewhere in the airports commission documentation).

Which, with globally famous tourist attractions and enormous diaspora populations both of other countries here and our country elsewhere, a high proportion of leisure travel is not a surprise.

Any idea on the loads on both the Mumbai and Addis first few flights?

DobboDobbo
Topic Author

Fri Dec 14, 2018 7:08 pm

PR piece on the Christmas getaway...

https://mediacentre.manchesterairport.c ... christmas/

User001

Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:57 am

Another new route for 2019 now confirmed.

SAS 3 weekly to Aarhus from 1st April flying Mon/Wed/Fri with CRJ-900.

Also worth noting that's 5 routes from Man for SAS now, so a good commitment from them (OSL/ARN/CPH and BGO being the other 4)

Armodeen

Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:04 pm

User001 wrote:

Wow now that is a niche route! Would be a nice little trip to fly into Billund and out of Aarhus though

8herveg

Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:19 pm

Armodeen wrote:
User001 wrote:

Wow now that is a niche route! Would be a nice little trip to fly into Billund and out of Aarhus though

That is a niche route indeed. What's the reason for the route? SAS don't even serve Heathrow, but they're going to serve MAN? Seems rather odd....

David_itl

Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:24 pm

Cathay A350-1000s for next summer confirned by airlineroute

User001

Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:46 pm

8herveg wrote:
That is a niche route indeed. What's the reason for the route? SAS don't even serve Heathrow, but they're going to serve MAN? Seems rather odd....

Route should do well, Denmark tends to do well with CPH/BLL and now AAR all served. In terms of LHR, worth noting SAS serve MAN-BGO without serving BGO-LHR, so, it’s not a new thing for SAS.

Scottiedog

Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:00 pm

Issue 72 of the MANTP Updates is now available - to whom full credit is given. Please do not copy to any other Forums or Threads.

David_itl

Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:44 pm

Thonas Cook have launch their 2020 long-haul programme,. Between MAN and LGW there's 500,000 seats. 12 routes ex-MAN with daily JFK and MCO with the report also saying SEA, MBJ and LAS are there as well

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/319525/thomas-cooks-2020-long-haul-flights-go-on-sale

DobboDobbo
Topic Author

Tue Dec 18, 2018 9:17 pm

David_itl wrote:
Thonas Cook have launch their 2020 long-haul programme,. Between MAN and LGW there's 500,000 seats. 12 routes ex-MAN with daily JFK and MCO with the report also saying SEA, MBJ and LAS are there as well

http://www.travelweekly.co.uk/articles/319525/thomas-cooks-2020-long-haul-flights-go-on-sale

Thanks David - interesting there is no mention of SFO or LAX...

MANMatthew

Sat Dec 22, 2018 8:23 pm

Can anyone shed any light on a comparison I am doing between previous times and current operations at MAN - what First Class options do PAX have either leaving or coming into MAN?
I assume it’s just a question of whether EK or EY operate F class on any of their current services?

VS4ever

Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:07 pm

DobboDobbo wrote:
David_itl wrote:

https://www.thomascookairlines.com/en/g ... _S2020.pdf

LAS,LAX, SFO,SEA,MBJ,JFK, and MCO all noted on their timetable release above. So they are still up there for now.
That feeling when you sit at the end of a runway, brakes are released and the raw power takes over. Now that is a thing of beauty and it never gets old.

DobboDobbo
Topic Author

Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:54 pm

VS4ever wrote:
DobboDobbo wrote:
David_itl wrote:

https://www.thomascookairlines.com/en/g ... _S2020.pdf

LAS,LAX, SFO,SEA,MBJ,JFK, and MCO all noted on their timetable release above. So they are still up there for now.

Many thanks. It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out, in particular whether VS and TCX continue to fight it out on the MAN-LAX market (and whether the market expands and/or the season elongates in some way).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos