QB737
Topic Author

YVR to Welcome Hainan Airlines

Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:56 pm

Ben YVR

winginit

Re: YVR to Welcome Hainan Airlines

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:00 am

Sensible. Was always odd that they'd started nonstop YYC service to compliment YYZ before adding YVR.

9252fly

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:02 am

So what's the latest count of Mainland China airlines that fly to YVR ?

NichCage

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:15 am

Even before this, HU was basically serving YVR through Beijing Capital Airlines, which is an subsidiary.

Hong Kong Airlines serves YVR as well, which is also an subsidiary of HU.

Why does HU have so many subsidiary's in the first place?

QB737
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:26 am

9252fly wrote:
So what's the latest count of Mainland China airlines that fly to YVR ?

Including Hainan;
From China 7
Hong Kong 2
Taipe 2
Ben YVR

nname

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:31 am

NichCage wrote:
Why does HU have so many subsidiary's in the first place?

Purchase of failing airlines (ie. Hong Kong Airlines), JV with local government (ie. Air Changan), through mergers but choose to keep separate brands (ie. Tianjin Airlines), leisure division (ie. Beijing Capital), low-cost division (ie. Lucky Air).

As far as I know, Hainan sold most of it's share of HKA last year so it's no longer the majority share holder...

juliuswong

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:32 am

The full list for Hainan Airlines Group of airlines (direct ownership/ affliation):
Air Chang'an
Beijing Capital Airlines (since May-2010)
Fuzhou Airlines (since Oct-2014)
Grand China Air
GX Airlines
Hainan Airlines
HK Express
Hong Kong Airlines
Lucky Air (since 2004)
Tianjin Airlines (through Grand China Airlines Holding Company, since 2004)
Urumqi Air
West Air
Suparna Airlines (previously Yangtze River Express and Yangzte River Airlines)
China Xinhua Airlines (wholly-owned since 2011)
Guangxi Beibu Gulf Airlines (since Feb-2015)

The Group also has stakes in some carriers based outside China,including Africa World Airlines, Aigle Azur (48%), Azul Brazilian Airlines (23.7%), Comair (6.2%), MyCargo Airlines, TAP Air Portugal (2.5%) and 13% stake in Virgin Australia.

Source: CAPA
- Life is a journey, travel it well -

ahj2000

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:30 am

winginit wrote:
Sensible. Was always odd that they'd started nonstop YYC service to compliment YYZ before adding YVR.

NOT really, they could serve it from Beijing. Same reason why they went to Seattle’s and Chicago before LA and NYC.
-Andrés Juánez

planemanofnz

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:34 am

Amazing how much HU has beefed up SZX as a long-haul hub, lately - AKL, BNE, BRU, CNS, DUB (rumoured), MAD, VIE and now YVR!

Cheers,

C.

AAvgeek744

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:51 am

YVR has a pretty impressive mix of carriers to China. Air China, Beijing Capital, China Eastern, China Southern, Sichuan, Xiamen, and Hainan coming. In addition to AC.

hayzel777

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:59 am

Lets hope this will help them pay their leases on the planes!

alan3

Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:23 am

I'm not sure YVR can keep adding international routes unless they add more gates, or force them to spread to different departure times.

I know someone at AC who said their recent Shanghai flight had to circle YVR for 45 minutes because there were no available gate slots in the international terminal.

Today, for example, there were 13 International departures from YVR just between 11:30am and 1:30pm alone! (11 to Asia, 2 to Europe). There are only about 13 international gates (and that's at a push, using the interchange domestic and US gates that can convert to international).

whywhyzee

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:24 pm

alan3 wrote:
I'm not sure YVR can keep adding international routes unless they add more gates, or force them to spread to different departure times.

I know someone at AC who said their recent Shanghai flight had to circle YVR for 45 minutes because there were no available gate slots in the international terminal.

Today, for example, there were 13 International departures from YVR just between 11:30am and 1:30pm alone! (11 to Asia, 2 to Europe). There are only about 13 international gates (and that's at a push, using the interchange domestic and US gates that can convert to international).

Short answer - they can't. The only reason they are able to keep adding flights is because during the winter, a large portion of the European flights don't operate. (AC to LHR, BA to LHR, LH to FRA, AF to CDG and KL to AMS are the only flights, giving it a total of ~ 4 flights a day to Europe, though don't shoot me if I missed any, it's early in the morning and I haven't had my coffee yet.) This leaves gate space for the Chinese flights. In the summer, there isn't enough space, China Eastern and a couple others use the deice pads as hard stands and bus passengers to the terminal.

longhauler

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:01 pm

alan3 wrote:

While they may have had to circle YVR for 45 minutes, weather being the likely reason, it would not have been due to lack of gate space. If an aircraft arrived before a gate is available, they just shut down on the ground to wait. The de-icing bay is the most common place.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

Dominion301

Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:07 pm

alan3 wrote:

YVR have international wing expansion plans, including the addition of 4 remote stand bussing gates: https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/y ... 71743.html

In there it also says YVR surpassed 24 million pax in 2017, meaning in 5 years YVR's pax numbers have grown by almost 50%.

nname

Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:57 am

alan3 wrote:

There should be 17 international gates (50-76) and can potentially get to 21 if they have to (48, 49, 77, 78 can all be configured for international departure, and any of the US gates can be used as international arrival). This includes a temporary gate added between 58 and 64 for this summer, but not including two remote stand locations. More US flights will be pushed to use gates 90-93 during the summer to free up 75, 76 for international.

alan3

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:44 am

nname wrote:
alan3 wrote:

There should be 17 international gates (50-76) and can potentially get to 21 if they have to (48, 49, 77, 78 can all be configured for international departure, and any of the US gates can be used as international arrival). This includes a temporary gate added between 58 and 64 for this summer, but not including two remote stand locations. More US flights will be pushed to use gates 90-93 during the summer to free up 75, 76 for international.

I've personally always seen the divider after 73, and never seen 74 onwards for international, but I can understand their need to use as much space as possible. Makes arrivals a hell though when a dozen Asian flights arrive at once!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos