Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AirbusMDCFAN
Topic Author

Passenger thinks AirAsia's uniforms are revealing to the point of being 'disgusting

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:12 am

Link/Source: http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/01/2 ... nator.html

"A woman claiming to be a frequent AirAsia passenger says she’s fed up with the uniforms worn by the airline’s female flight attendants, and called them “quite disgusting” in a letter she penned to Malaysian Senator Hanafi Mamat — or so says Mamat, who claims he received the letter last week and who, coincidentally, had publicly criticized the uniforms in December."
"In the letter, which Mamat shared to Facebook on Jan. 14, a woman calling herself Dr. June Robertson from Wellington, New Zealand, wrote that she was “pleased to read” that Mamat was unhappy with AirAsia uniforms, and added that she, too, was “very offended by the extremely short skirts these females wear on AirAsia.”

What this person have thought if she saw the "hot pants" WN flight attendants used to wear in the 1970's
or when Vietjet does the bikini calendar.

grbauc

Re: Passenger thinks AirAsia's uniforms are revealing to the point of being 'disgusting

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:27 am

I think the uniforms are classy.

flee

Re: Passenger thinks AirAsia's uniforms are revealing to the point of being 'disgusting

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:33 am

If she is disgusted, why not try flying another airline? No one is forcing her to fly on AirAsia.

gatibosgru

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:33 am

How about we ask the actual staff what they think about it rather than some politicians opinion? If the people wearing it have no problem, great! If they also find it distasteful, than they change it.
@DadCelo

zeke

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:49 am

Their crew I have run into love their uniforms and being a little cheeky. It’s nice to be around them, they enjoy their work and travel.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

seahawk

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:00 am

Uniforms should not be sexy.

TheFlyingDisk

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:00 am

I remember once seeing a "flash of spectacular thigh" (as Steely Dan would put it) from a rather beautiful Malaysia Airlines stewardess in her tight Kebaya uniform. That's far more sexy than AirAsia's meh short skirt to be honest.

Seriously, don't we have much better things to do than to care about how short some stewardesses skirts are?
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

zeke

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:09 am

seahawk wrote:

Don’t you think that should be the decision of the people who wear them ?

You should see how they dress away from work when they go out. Makes their uniform seem modest.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

RoySFlying

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:16 am

zeke wrote:
seahawk wrote:

How common is it for airlines to let the crew determine what the uniform will be? Aren't those sort of decisions made by somebody higher up the food chain?

As to the uniforms, how about eye candy for those who like gorgeous young men? Skimpy shorts, open-necked short-sleeved shirts. Fair's fair.

Looking at the letter, is it genuine? It just seems that the layout isn't what you'd expect from a business letter.

zeke

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:18 am

The uniform is the same how one decides to wear it varies.

seahawk

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:23 am

zeke wrote:
seahawk wrote:

You should see how they dress away from work when they go out. Makes their uniform seem modest.

Nope, as it is mandatory for the employees to wear the uniform it is up to the employer to decide their design. And this must take the comfort of the the employee and well as the feelings of the customers into consideration.

I personally think long trousers should be standard for male and female crews, simply because a trouser made from cotton or other natural materials work much better when sliding down an emergency slide than tights. As you work for an airline, go to the FA training and slide down the emergency slides in you sport shorts and tell us how you liked it. There is a reason nearly everybody uses long coveralls or long trousers for that training.

T1a

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:50 am

Nope, as it is mandatory for the employees to wear the uniform it is up to the employer to decide their design. And this must take the comfort of the the employee and well as the feelings of the customers into consideration.

I personally think long trousers should be standard for male and female crews, simply because a trouser made from cotton or other natural materials work much better when sliding down an emergency slide than tights. As you work for an airline, go to the FA training and slide down the emergency slides in you sport shorts and tell us how you liked it. There is a reason nearly everybody uses long coveralls or long trousers for that training.

While uniforms are mandatory, most airlines give their FAs a choice. Male cabin crew can often choose between diffrent Jackets (single or double brest), different colored ties, whether or not to wear a vest and so on. The choices for female cabin crew usually have an even larger variaty. At my company the ladies can choose from a body or blouse for underneath; a dress, a vest with skirt combo, or the vest with pants combo. Even different panty hoses are available, as well as 23 different types of shoes, from flats all the way to stilettos. It's all up to the individual. But still the most common complain I hear from the ladies is that the uniform is too conservative and they would like it to be tailored "more appealing".
All views expressed under this username are mine as a private person and don't necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

Bongodog1964

Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:02 am

T1a wrote:

While uniforms are mandatory, most airlines give their FAs a choice. Male cabin crew can often choose between diffrent Jackets (single or double brest), different colored ties, whether or not to wear a vest and so on. The choices for female cabin crew usually have an even larger variaty. At my company the ladies can choose from a body or blouse for underneath; a dress, a vest with skirt combo, or the vest with pants combo. Even different panty hoses are available, as well as 23 different types of shoes, from flats all the way to stilettos. It's all up to the individual. But still the most common complain I hear from the ladies is that the uniform is too conservative and they would like it to be tailored "more appealing".

To my mind this isn't "uniform" by its very definition uniform should result in all the crew looking more or less the same. Here in the UK cabin crew uniforms tend to have very few variations, some appear to have none at all, look at a VS crew walking through a terminal, the ladies look nearly identical, most even down to the choice of hair colour.
Meanwhile I've seen crews for the US majors where its hard to believe they even work for the same airline even when there's a group of them together.

flydude380

Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:03 am

Some people have a lot of time on their hands. Not to mention, two-faced.

The uniforms are quite tight and revealing. Saying that, I've not looked at the article, but, is this woman jelly cause she does not have the figure?

Pacific

Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:21 am

Wonder how practical the skirts are when the FAs take that step up onto the seat to tidy up the overhead bins.

BestWestern

Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:25 am

God to see that Fox News is rebroadcasting the opinions of the ultra conservative Muslim minority of Malaysia.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

zeke

Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:26 am

flydude380 wrote:
Some people have a lot of time on their hands. Not to mention, two-faced.

The uniforms are quite tight and revealing. Saying that, I've not looked at the article, but, is this woman jelly cause she does not have the figure?

I think it maybe religious based, one of the major religions in Malaysia would have women cover up totally.

Bongodog1964

Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:41 am

I just had a look on Google images, all I can see are skirts approx 4" (100mm) above the knee and blouses with the top button undone. By UK standards its all rather modest.

BartSimpson

Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:44 am

Fun thing is - is that woman a real person or is it just another fake "opinion"?

The NZ Herald has made some checks:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11979848

workhorse

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:12 am

Malaysia: truly NOT Asia

WIederling

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:28 am

seahawk wrote:

you want grain sacks with side boobs?
Murphy is an optimist

seahawk

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:41 am

WIederling wrote:
seahawk wrote:

Many airlines achieve good looking and functional. That is all a uniform needs to be.

WIederling

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:02 pm

seahawk wrote:
WIederling wrote:
seahawk wrote:

Many airlines achieve good looking and functional.

Beyond the fake complaint we have that here.
Skirt length fluctuates all the time.
Murphy is an optimist

VV

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:03 pm

What does her husband think?

JannEejit

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:05 pm

I see KLM crews overnighting at a hotel near my work place often and amongst the uniform blue for cabin crew, the females are a mix of skirts and trousers. All of whom are still unmistakenly KLM crew though. So I guess options do work...

WIederling

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:09 pm

VV wrote:

after a perky marriage it is all the way downhill now.
;-)
Murphy is an optimist

T1a

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:26 pm

To my mind this isn't "uniform" by its very definition uniform should result in all the crew looking more or less the same. Here in the UK cabin crew uniforms tend to have very few variations, some appear to have none at all, look at a VS crew walking through a terminal, the ladies look nearly identical, most even down to the choice of hair colour.
Meanwhile I've seen crews for the US majors where its hard to believe they even work for the same airline even when there's a group of them together.

Well, I work for a European legacy, so not as far from the UK as you might think. The example of KLM was already given, and you can throw the other European mainland legacies in the same basket. They all give their crew a variety of choices while still maintaining a uniform look. I've never heard anybody say that a Lufthansa or Swiss Crew doesn't look uniform. They are clearly identifyable as representatives of their airline, while still giving the individual a choice to wear something they feel comfortable in.
All views expressed under this username are mine as a private person and don't necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

seahawk

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:30 pm

WIederling wrote:
seahawk wrote:
WIederling wrote:

Many airlines achieve good looking and functional.

Beyond the fake complaint we have that here.
Skirt length fluctuates all the time.

As I said, I am no fan of skirts for functional uniforms. A trouser simply offers more protection to the leg, be it when you scratch your leg at something in the cabin or when you slide down the emergency slide. I always find it strange that passenger are recommended to wear jeans or other natural material trousers in case of an emergency and female FAs wear skirts. And such short skirts are imho a stupid idea,when you think of an emergency or a passenger spoiling hot beverage.

Sadly the reason for this "complaint" has a very different motivation, which I do not support.

brindabella

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:33 pm

VV wrote:

Actually, it's much, much worse.

Being a Western male, I am well-trained and totally understand that appreciating nice-looking ladies is a very very bad thing.

Totally unacceptable in fact.

So imagine my shock to realise that the young ladies inside those clinging uniforms have obviously been chosen for their good looks.

The fact that many of them are very nice young ladies is just no excuse whatsoever.

So sad. So very sad! :talktothehand: :crazy:

cheers

:biggrin:

The f
Billy

Bongodog1964

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:50 pm

T1a wrote:

Well, I work for a European legacy, so not as far from the UK as you might think. The example of KLM was already given, and you can throw the other European mainland legacies in the same basket. They all give their crew a variety of choices while still maintaining a uniform look. I've never heard anybody say that a Lufthansa or Swiss Crew doesn't look uniform. They are clearly identifyable as representatives of their airline, while still giving the individual a choice to wear something they feel comfortable in.

"Skirt or trousers" is a fairly standard uniform choice in any walk of life here in the UK, what I have seen however at times in the US particularly is where there appears to be a multiple choice over each piece of clothing, when you see 6 cabin crew members and each one is completely different thats the point its no longer uniform.

Bongodog1964

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:52 pm

BartSimpson wrote:
Fun thing is - is that woman a real person or is it just another fake "opinion"?

The NZ Herald has made some checks:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=11979848

Just because someone has the prefix "Dr" does not mean they are medically qualified "Dr indicates that they have studied beyond degree level at University and achieved a doctorate.

F27500

Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:21 pm

Hey .. that "massage parlor" look works for them. Its a tacky airline anyway, so why is it a shock that their FAs are allowed to look like hookers?

airbazar

Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:32 pm

Bongodog1964 wrote:
[
Just because someone has the prefix "Dr" does not mean they are medically qualified "Dr indicates that they have studied beyond degree level at University and achieved a doctorate.

You are correct only because a Dr. is anyone with a Doctorate degree, be it in engineering or economy, it doesn't matter what it is in.
A medical doctor has the prefix of MD.

raylee67

Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:42 pm

This person's favorite airline is probably Taliban era's Ariana Afghan Airlines. Or Air IS, if there is one.
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 359/51 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788/89 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI LX
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK PD
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

JetBuddy

Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:52 pm

grbauc wrote:

I think they look great as well.

Route66

Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:56 pm

BestWestern wrote:
God to see that Fox News is rebroadcasting the opinions of the ultra conservative Muslim minority of Malaysia.

Yes, good to see Fox reporting the increasing influence of ultra-conservative Muslims in Malaysia. This may not be worth a storyline but it is the trend in the region, like it or not. Except it's not a "minority". http://www.pewforum.org/2013/04/30/the- ... ut-sharia/

Slug71

Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:08 pm

flee wrote:
If she is disgusted, why not try flying another airline? No one is forcing her to fly on AirAsia.

JetBuddy wrote:
grbauc wrote:

I think they look great as well.

This!

zakuivcustom

Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:13 pm

Route66 wrote:
BestWestern wrote:

Yes, good to see Fox reporting the increasing influence of ultra-conservative Muslims in Malaysia. This may not be worth a storyline but it is the trend in the region, like it or not. Except it's not a "minority". http://www.pewforum.org/2013/04/30/the- ... ut-sharia/

It's the same country where a "Sharia-compliant" airline (Rayani Air) was form also. Of course, that airline went nowhere quick.

And it's the same senator that make this statement:
http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/catego ... -uniforms/

So, I guess he learned this time and make up some random person from "western world" that has a problem with the uniform. Malaysian taxpayer at work right there :banghead: :banghead:

CarbonFibre

Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:15 pm

Perhaps wearing a black sack from head to toe would be better?

alfa164

Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:17 pm

flydude380 wrote:
Some people have a lot of time on their hands. Not to mention, two-faced. The uniforms are quite tight and revealing. Saying that, I've not looked at the article, but, is this woman jelly cause she does not have the figure?

She was probably "planted" on that flight - if she even exists, as many Malaysian observers think the "letter" was a fake - by the well-known senator Mamat. He has been trying to make a name for himself among the more strident Muslims in Malaysia, taking every opportunity he can to complain about loss of traditional values (sound familiar?) and trying to rile the more backward instincts of the fundamentalists (sound even more familiar?). He will do almost anything to get his name in the news; I am surprised he hasn't taken to Twitter yet.

If you have seen the uniforms, they are no more revealing than those of most any airlines world-wide. In truth, they are more classy than I would have expected from a discount carrier... but don't let that prevent a political loudmouth from pointing to them in an attempt to boost his own time in the media.

BestWestern wrote:

An ambitious, pandering politician + Fox News = a sure-fire understanding of why we get this kind of story.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

Mortyman

Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:26 pm

Good thing she apparently wasn't around in California in the 70's ... ;-)

PSA Airlines:

Southwest Airlines:

The world has indeed gone down hill ... :-)

dtw2hyd

Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:38 pm

I am confused here on who complained, a Malay or a Kiwi.

Malaysia is a mix of three different cultures with three distinct dress codes. Air Asia uniform is no different than what Chinese wear daily.

Did the Kiwi Doctor/Doctorate miss the NZ's swimsuit ad?
All posts are just opinions.

tphuang

Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:43 pm

I've been on AirAsia many times. Nothing unusual about the uniforms.

Jayafe

Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:46 pm

Passenger thinks AirAsia's uniforms are revealing to the point of being 'disgusting

And I think that the passenger who thinks AirAsia's uniforms are revealing to the point of being 'disgusting, is stupid. Can I also have my own thread? Please close this irrelevant "news".

CFRPwingALbody

Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:57 pm

Let's show where this fuzz is about:
Image Image

zakuivcustom

Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:19 pm

dtw2hyd wrote:

Malaysia is a mix of three different cultures with three distinct dress codes. Air Asia uniform is no different than what Chinese wear daily.

Technically it's a NZ women, somehow writing a Malaysian senator, to complain about it. Of course, it has been point out that:
1. The English used in the complaint letter does not sounds like it's from a Kiwi.
2. The senator is known before (see my link) wanting to impose Sharia dress code on airlines

Quite frankly, I just don't see why a NZ woman would actually KNOW how to complain to a Malaysian senator (that I doubt anyone outside of Malaysia even know), not to some NZ news source or even to the corporate at AirAsia. In another word, the whole story is fishy. :white: :white:

aviationjunky

Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:21 pm

I don't see what the issue is.. Maybe it's a mix of it hugging their bodies and also being *sultry* red. People have too much time on their hands. With everything going on in the world, let's please stop and try to get an airline to change their uniforms.
LAS is Life

andymartin

Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:28 pm

I think she is just jealous that the crew are a lot easier on the eye than she probably is. Maybe spend more time down the gym dear instead of writing letters of complaint.

zeke

Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:32 pm

tphuang wrote:
I've been on AirAsia many times. Nothing unusual about the uniforms.

Nothing unusual under the uniform either, they are humans.

dtw2hyd

Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:56 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:

Technically it's a NZ women, somehow writing a Malaysian senator, to complain about it. Of course, it has been point out that:
1. The English used in the complaint letter does not sounds like it's from a Kiwi.
2. The senator is known before (see my link) wanting to impose Sharia dress code on airlines

Quite frankly, I just don't see why a NZ woman would actually KNOW how to complain to a Malaysian senator (that I doubt anyone outside of Malaysia even know), not to some NZ news source or even to the corporate at AirAsia. In another word, the whole story is fishy. :white: :white:

If the senator has an issue with female FA dress code, they should roster the male FA who dances Toxic on his next flight. He got some moves.
All posts are just opinions.