Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WIederling

Re: Passenger thinks AirAsia's uniforms are revealing to the point of being 'disgusting

Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:11 pm

F27500 wrote:
Hey .. that "massage parlor" look works for them. Its a tacky airline anyway, so why is it a shock that their FAs are allowed to look like hookers?

Never seen a prostitute with that kind of tame outfit.
you live in an "girls depleted, anything that uses the other loo environment" ?
Murphy is an optimist

Bongodog1964

Re: Passenger thinks AirAsia's uniforms are revealing to the point of being 'disgusting

Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:23 pm

airbazar wrote:
Bongodog1964 wrote:
[
Just because someone has the prefix "Dr" does not mean they are medically qualified "Dr indicates that they have studied beyond degree level at University and achieved a doctorate.

You are correct only because a Dr. is anyone with a Doctorate degree, be it in engineering or economy, it doesn't matter what it is in.
A medical doctor has the prefix of MD.

MD is the term in the USA, but certainly not here in the UK,

In the UK all medical doctors are prefixed with "Dr" except surgeons and consultants who are confusingly prefixed with "Mr" I would imagine that New Zealand would follow the UK convention in this matter

aviatorcraig

Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:24 pm

F27500 wrote:
Hey .. that "massage parlor" look works for them. Its a tacky airline anyway, so why is it a shock that their FAs are allowed to look like hookers?

Clearly you go to much more upmarket massage parlors than I do then! :rotfl:
707 727 Caravelle Comet Concorde Dash-7 DC-9 DC-10 One-Eleven Trident Tristar Tu-134 VC-10 Viscount plus boring stuff!

United787

Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:24 pm

BestWestern wrote:
God to see that Fox News is rebroadcasting the opinions of the ultra conservative Muslim minority of Malaysia.

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree... ultra conservative religious beliefs are similar no matter what religion. One woman's hijab is another woman's tichel which all look similar to the head covering the Catholic nuns wore in my elementary school and the Amish wear in Indiana. But shhhhh, don't tell them that...

neutrino

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:04 pm

F27500 wrote:

What do hookers look/dress like anyway? Are they uniform (pun)?
I've seen ladies of the night who are well dressed; like well, ladies....
Sure, how they are coutured out of general public eyes could be another story.....oops, am I saying too much? :worried:
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis

TC957

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:47 pm

Well, I think those Air Asia girls look just fab. I bet this woman moaning is just an ugly overweight middle-aged looser who's just jealous she can't look like an Air Asia girl anymore.

Runway28L

Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:59 pm

The uniforms imo aren't bad. I've seen worse, but everyone has their opinions and/or beliefs.

The problem is how these stories get into the mainstream media and they usually take the most radical opinion from one person rather than the rest of the population and make it "newsworthy".

But hey they gotta rack up the amount of views their story gets!

jeffrey1970

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:41 pm

If this lady does not like the uniforms to the point that she felt she needed to write a letter to a Malaysian politician then she should just fly on another airline.
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

bhill

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:45 pm

AirbusMDCFAN wrote:
Link/Source: http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/01/2 ... nator.html

"A woman claiming to be a frequent AirAsia passenger says she’s fed up with the uniforms worn by the airline’s female flight attendants, and called them “quite disgusting” in a letter she penned to Malaysian Senator Hanafi Mamat — or so says Mamat, who claims he received the letter last week and who, coincidentally, had publicly criticized the uniforms in December."
"In the letter, which Mamat shared to Facebook on Jan. 14, a woman calling herself Dr. June Robertson from Wellington, New Zealand, wrote that she was “pleased to read” that Mamat was unhappy with AirAsia uniforms, and added that she, too, was “very offended by the extremely short skirts these females wear on AirAsia.”

What this person have thought if she saw the "hot pants" WN flight attendants used to wear in the 1970's
or when Vietjet does the bikini calendar.

I see nothing wrong with them, they look just like suits many female execs wear. Seems to me though that pants would allow many of the tasks they perform to be easier to do.
Carpe Pices

Noise

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:51 pm

If they find it disgusting then they don't need to fly AirAsia.

Super80Fan

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:53 pm

You have got to be kidding me. Rock on, Air Asia FA's.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

Armodeen

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:00 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
dtw2hyd wrote:
I am confused here on who complained, a Malay or a Kiwi.

Malaysia is a mix of three different cultures with three distinct dress codes. Air Asia uniform is no different than what Chinese wear daily.

Did the Kiwi Doctor/Doctorate miss the NZ's swimsuit ad?

Technically it's a NZ women, somehow writing a Malaysian senator, to complain about it. Of course, it has been point out that:
1. The English used in the complaint letter does not sounds like it's from a Kiwi.
2. The senator is known before (see my link) wanting to impose Sharia dress code on airlines

Quite frankly, I just don't see why a NZ woman would actually KNOW how to complain to a Malaysian senator (that I doubt anyone outside of Malaysia even know), not to some NZ news source or even to the corporate at AirAsia. In another word, the whole story is fishy. :white: :white:

As you allude to in your post, I rather think that the senator has written this complaint himself to get to some air time for his own personal vendetta :roll: :lol:

It's clearly not written by a native English speaker.

QXAS

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:25 pm

raylee67 wrote:
This person's favorite airline is probably Taliban era's Ariana Afghan Airlines. Or Air IS, if there is one.

I don’t remember the details but I once saw an online simulator that to get around trademark issues renamed the airlines featured. There was a Telda MD-80, an Americana 727 and an IS Airways 737.

I see nothing in these uniforms that aren’t more or less industry standard, in the US the skirt may be a finger width longer and the blouse buttoned all the way up.
I certainly see nothing offensive. Uniforms are supposed to be functional, professional and comfortable. As a poster has noted these may not be as functional as slacks, in my perspective they’re professional, and I’d assume they’re comfortable (I’m a male so I have no idea). Uniforms go through trends. There have been uniforms far more modest, and scandalous than these. If these uniforms are to be pulled, it had better be for reasons of functionality rather than them being revealing.
In Malaysia I understand that there are people who would push for sharia dress code. Airlines can’t please everyone. If the uniforms offend you, pick another airline.
To this woman: Vote with your wallet, if an airline is losing customers because of the uniforms, they’ll change them. That’s how business works. Complaining, but continuing to fly the same airline shows the execs it’s not a big issue to passengers and more of an annoyance than a problem.
I am NOT an employee of any airline or manufacturer. I speak for myself, not on the behalf of any company.

PDX88

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:37 pm

A 2 page thread discussing one lady's opinion on flight attendant unifoms? We must be running out of stuff to talk about.

Obzerva

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:47 pm

Mortyman wrote:
Good thing she apparently wasn't around in California in the 70's ... ;-)

PSA Airlines:

Southwest Airlines:

The world has indeed gone down hill ... :-)

Those uniforms are amazing! hadn’t seen them before.

Just made me wonder (and apologies for going off topic) has any airline ever tried having a crew in retro uniforms whilst crewing a retro livery jet?

I realise logistically it would be difficult, with crew changes, aircraft positioning, but as a PR exercise for an airline in an anniversary year for a day or week who had an aircraft in retro livery it would be a great PR move.

Have a few uniforms made, in a few different sizes, dry cleaned and available for the crew for the period of time they decided to do the promotion.

Just a thought.

A60Stock

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:59 pm

I have seen the letter, it is in such appalling English that I doubt a doctor would have written it. The grammar is all wrong, at least one spelling error, the wording is unbecoming of anyone with a modicum of restraint or reasonability - to use the word 'prostitute' in a letter is not the language of a professional, unless said professional is a police officer. Also, may I ask, would a lay person from outside of Kuala Lumpur really refer to the airport as KLIA?

If someone had a bee in their bonnet about scantily dressed air hostesses, what good would it do to write to some politician? Surely the airline would be better placed to address any complainant's concern. As much as I hate to use the phrase, I deem this to be 'fake news.'
Types flown: A319, A320, B734, B738, B744, B77W and E195.
Airports flown to/from: DUB, JFK, LGW, LHR, LIS, LTN, PDL, SEN and STN.
Airlines flown with: AA, BA, BD, BE, EI, and FR.
Next flights: W9 LTN - SVG - LTN
Home Airport: LHR

Blimpie

Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:08 pm

T1a wrote:
Nope, as it is mandatory for the employees to wear the uniform it is up to the employer to decide their design. And this must take the comfort of the the employee and well as the feelings of the customers into consideration.

I personally think long trousers should be standard for male and female crews, simply because a trouser made from cotton or other natural materials work much better when sliding down an emergency slide than tights. As you work for an airline, go to the FA training and slide down the emergency slides in you sport shorts and tell us how you liked it. There is a reason nearly everybody uses long coveralls or long trousers for that training.

While uniforms are mandatory, most airlines give their FAs a choice. Male cabin crew can often choose between diffrent Jackets (single or double brest), different colored ties, whether or not to wear a vest and so on. The choices for female cabin crew usually have an even larger variaty. At my company the ladies can choose from a body or blouse for underneath; a dress, a vest with skirt combo, or the vest with pants combo. Even different panty hoses are available, as well as 23 different types of shoes, from flats all the way to stilettos. It's all up to the individual. But still the most common complain I hear from the ladies is that the uniform is too conservative and they would like it to be tailored "more appealing".

As an ex-coastie, I would say then it's more of a dress code than a uniform. Hence the term "uniform"

u·ni·form
ˈyo͞onəˌfôrm/
adjective
adjective: uniform

1. Not changing in form or character; remaining the same in all cases and at all times.

I'm just saying.
Now get the hell off of my lawn your dang kids!

AtomicGarden

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:31 am

High school girls here (mostly catholic schools) wear skirts with half that length. I think these FAs skirts are OK, they are not police or military uniforms. Prudes everywhere...
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

LockheedBBD

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:43 am

dtw2hyd wrote:
I am confused here on who complained, a Malay or a Kiwi.

A Kiwi passenger complained to a Malaysian politician via a letter, and the politician agreed with the passenger.

LockheedBBD

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:46 am

AtomicGarden wrote:
High school girls here (mostly catholic schools) wear skirts with half that length. I think these FAs skirts are OK, they are not police or military uniforms. Prudes everywhere...

I always found that strange, Catholic nuns wear conservative dresses that go down to the ground as well as head coverings, but the uniforms for the kids are skimpy in comparison. Strange contradictions. At the same time, the uniforms for the secular schools in my area are much more conservative than those for the Catholic schools. It's like the world has gone upside down.

JannEejit

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:51 am

I'm reminded of a time around ten years ago when I flew into Kiev for a few days work and was met with the sight of female immigration officers with the longest legs you'd ever seen, tiny (and I do mean tiny) mini skirts, stilleto heels, barely buttoned up blouses and big soviet era style peaked hats. The look was completed with a huge gun belt and pistol, and some very serious attitude. For the 45 minutes or so it took to clear customs I was in heaven !!! ;-)

StrandedAtMKG

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:13 am

:roll:

They're three-quarter length sleeves and skirts that really aren't even that short. Some people need hobbies (other than writing legislators complaining about others' work uniforms). While I am strongly of the opinion that F/A's are there for our safety and comfort and not to be eye candy, AirAsia's uniforms are fine.

On another note, I question whether wearing heels on an aircraft is practical (or safe in an emergency when quick evacuation is paramount), but since I'm not the one wearing them I'll mind my own business.

VV

Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:20 am

Why do people fly? Because they want to see the cute ladies in red.

TheFlyingDisk

Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:15 am

BestWestern wrote:
God to see that Fox News is rebroadcasting the opinions of the ultra conservative Muslim minority of Malaysia.

Conservative Christians & Muslims share somewhat similar beliefs, believe it or not!
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

BestWestern

Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:39 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
BestWestern wrote:

Conservative Christians & Muslims share somewhat similar beliefs, believe it or not!

Oh, I believe it all right. The ultra conservatives are fewer in Malaysia than in the US.
Greetings from Hong Kong.... a subsidiary of China Inc.

oldannyboy

Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:28 am

Totally fabricated letter, from a bogus traveler, probably crafted by the clever senator's office to back his religious interference into mundane issues.

As I have said many times, the moment any religion wants to dictate over other people's personal liberties -such as what to wear- well to me it has already gone way too far....Religion should be a very personal thing. Whatever you elect to believe must not affect my life, my personal liberties or my decisions. It's sad to see such a beautiful country like Malaysia fast sliding down the muddy road of religious interference............

Blimpie

Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:52 am

I DEMAND that AIrAsia uniforms skirts be shorter. SHORTER DAMNIT!

See, the uniform issue can go both ways :)
Now get the hell off of my lawn your dang kids!

WIederling

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:18 pm

JannEejit wrote:
I'm reminded of a time around ten years ago when I flew into Kiev for a few days work and was met with the sight of female immigration officers with the longest legs you'd ever seen, tiny (and I do mean tiny) mini skirts, stilleto heels, barely buttoned up blouses and big soviet era style peaked hats. The look was completed with a huge gun belt and pistol, and some very serious attitude. For the 45 minutes or so it took to clear customs I was in heaven !!! ;-)

Russian ladies in general tend to be dressed to the well choosen nines and "tastefully done" makeup wise.
( easy to filter out Russian "Spätheimkehrer" in Germany.)

Additionally the ladies there have a different stance to project authority in the (former) East Block.
Murphy is an optimist

NearMiss

Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:33 pm

Is this "person" actually confusing "good looks" with "being sexy and sexually arousing"? :sarcastic:
"There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

CitizenJustin

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:02 pm

This type of miserable person spends their life looking for things to complain about. If they want to be unhappy and miserable, fine, but the issue is they cause unnecessary problems for other people. I’ve worked in customer service for a long time and in a “the customer is alway right” environment, I’ve seen several people reprimanded for frivalous complaints by awful people. She most certainly complains about many things other than uniforms.

I’m sure she’s a real gem to work with.

zakuivcustom

Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:30 pm

I am surprised nobody mention Vietjet Air yet :lol:

On the other hand, at least they didn't pull the stunt on their Jakarta flight:
https://nypost.com/2017/08/25/airline-t ... m-country/

Of course, they are creating "outrage" for having "sexy" calendar sale lately:
http://fortune.com/2017/12/28/vietjet-b ... criticism/

The CEO (who is a female, btw) is laughing all the way to the bank, though.

On the other hand, maybe VJ should start doing tgat on all their flights to Malaysia, make sure that the senator that complain and complain is on board. :stirthepot:

BartSimpson

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:15 pm

Funny (or rather depressing) how many people here on this forum feel the need to judge that woman without really knowing her and to tell her how to think and behave, to the point of advising her to work out.

Really funny though because most certainly this is a make-up letter and either this woman does not exist at all or her name has been used without her knowledge.

VolvoBus

Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:41 pm

I suppose it is possible that ,if this letter is genuine, it was written by a Malaysian who is married to a Kiwi and uses her married name.

From farther out in left field,could it have been written on behalf of AirAsia? Straight from the Michael O'Leary playbook - almost any publicity is good publicity, especially when it is virtually free. I bet a lot more people are now aware of AirAsia than were before.

TC957

Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:17 pm

Good point ! I bet MoL is kicking himself for not having thought up this publicity stunt himself.

AtomicGarden

Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:39 am

This is starting to look like a false flag marketing operation! people are warned that FAs are wearing skimpy clothing thru a false complaint, company shows they are nice and feminine and crews like them, and now potential pax are thinking of flying with Air Asia...

AtomicGarden

Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:45 am

I really like this livery, shame they stick to somebody's grandma for the tail :box:

zeke

Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:23 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:

Bacon and eggs for breakfast!!!
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

VV

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:46 am

AtomicGarden wrote:
This is starting to look like a false flag marketing operation! people are warned that FAs are wearing skimpy clothing thru a false complaint, company shows they are nice and feminine and crews like them, and now potential pax are thinking of flying with Air Asia...

It is very probable. It would be a very effective publicity and does not cost a lot.

Before reading this thread I didn't know AirAsia's flight attendants can be cute. Will it be an important aspect for my choice in the future? I do not think so, but if I ever take an AirAsia flight I will have a special attention on their flight attendants' look.

kgaiflyer

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:53 pm

I'm more inclined to think that this might be an inexpensive way of getting publicity for the airline.

I would have no problem with my daughters wearing something like this.

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/01/2 ... nator.html

readytotaxi

Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:21 pm

I wonder what they would have made of Hooters Air. :shock:

you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

slider

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:42 pm

Ahh, once again the industry of creating faux offense to everything chimes in.

If the uniforms are practical, durable AND look good, who cares? These ladies look beautiful, the uniforms are all fitted correctly (more than I can say for many US-based FAs I see), and they look like they're having fun. The morality police can naff right off.

And there's nothing wrong with, as a man, complimenting these ladies' good looks and classy appearance.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos