neomax
Topic Author

TV crew arrested at EWR smuggling fake bomb to film TSA reaction

Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:52 pm

Somehow, this went relatively unnoticed. This has to be amongst the stupidest things ever done at an airport. Idiots.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2018/0 ... throu.html

Lentini2001

Re: TV crew arrested at EWR smuggling fake bomb to film TSA reaction

Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:00 pm

Up there with careful how you open my case, there's a bomb in it hahahaha kind of thing some idiots have been known to say...

DL747400

Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:00 pm

What a stupid thing to do, and right across the river from NYC. If these individuals are TRULY are associated with any real media organization, they should all be fired. Media should know better. And in terms of the TSA, FBI, etc....throw the book at them. I wonder how many travelers may have missed their flights as a result of this stunt.
From First to Worst: The history of Airliners.net.

All posts reflect my opinions, not those of my employer or any other company.

Indy

Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:05 pm

DL747400 wrote:
What a stupid thing to do, and right across the river from NYC. If these individuals are TRULY are associated with any real media organization, they should all be fired. Media should know better. And in terms of the TSA, FBI, etc....throw the book at them. I wonder how many travelers may have missed their flights as a result of this stunt.

If they were with a legit media organization, they were likely put on this assignment. They shouldn't be fired. The person that put them on the assignment should get the boot. Incredibly stupid stunt.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

Indy

Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:09 pm

"CBS2, citing unnamed sources, reported that the group was associated with the CNBC show 'Staten Island Hustle.' The television station said that the production company affiliated with the show, Endemol Shine North America, released a statement late Thursday."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/dr- ... c820f52b49

Chances are the network put them on this assignment and if that is they case, the company should have to pay all fines and pay for their legal defense. And of those guys get off without jail time, they should quit their jobs and work for a company that isn't a complete joke and reckless like that.
Indy = Indianapolis and not Independence Air

flyingcat

Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:38 pm

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2018/01/9_arrested_at_newark_airport_were_part_of_reality.html

There are differing stories from TSA and the passengers. The passengers say the luggage was a prototype for vacuum compression luggage. TSA believes that the group were trying to get an IED through. TSA says they were filming the checkpoint to see if they could get through.

ual763

Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:09 pm

flyingcat wrote:
http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2018/01/9_arrested_at_newark_airport_were_part_of_reality.html

There are differing stories from TSA and the passengers. The passengers say the luggage was a prototype for vacuum compression luggage. TSA believes that the group were trying to get an IED through. TSA says they were filming the checkpoint to see if they could get through.

Hahahahaha vacuum compression luggage? Literally can't make this sh*t up. Tell that to the judge.
From flying to the NOTAM office

JannEejit

Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:26 pm

Well we could also say well done to the security services for finding this 'fake' bomb. We could also remind ourselves that it was indeed a 'fake bomb' and that these TV types however dumb it was, were in the end not terrorists and they never got the 'bomb' through. I work in television myself and yes I deal with idiots and dumb ideas on a daily basis.

enilria

Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:02 pm

Same thread with same exact title and same story was posted Friday and deleted by mods. Not sure why.

iahcsr

Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:09 pm

Well it can be said this group did succeed in getting a reaction from the TSA.... just not the one they were expecting. :roll:
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

kjeld0d

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:33 pm

thought police! crime in progress!

Flighty

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:37 pm

Filming the TSA is the more worrisome/serious crime versus the fake weapon.

Super80Fan

Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:55 pm

Flighty wrote:

WRONG. Filming TSA is a first amendment protected activity. Unless you are filming off limits areas/their screens, there is no law being broken. If you don't like it, stay at home with the blinds drawn.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

stl07

Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:59 pm

enilria wrote:
Same thread with same exact title and same story was posted Friday and deleted by mods. Not sure why.

I have been noticing this happen on multiple threads. The Buzz thread yesterday was a recirculation thread too and the original was deleted
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

Blimpie

Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:02 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
Flighty wrote:

WRONG. Filming TSA is a first amendment protected activity. Unless you are filming off limits areas/their screens, there is no law being broken. If you don't like it, stay at home with the blinds drawn.

Partially incorrect. While, public servants have no expectation of privacy on the tax payer's dollars, most airports are private property, not public. Airports are legally, publically accessible, but not actual public spaces owned by the state.

First amendment rights limit ones ability of what they may legally record on said private property. Also, it is pretty well established and posted that recording of TSA in the security checkpoints/passenger screening is quite off-limits.
Now get the hell off of my lawn your dang kids!

Super80Fan

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:01 pm

Blimpie wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
Flighty wrote:

Partially incorrect. While, public servants have no expectation of privacy on the tax payer's dollars, most airports are private property, not public. Airports are legally, publically accessible, but not actual public spaces owned by the state.

First amendment rights limit ones ability of what they may legally record on said private property. Also, it is pretty well established and posted that recording of TSA in the security checkpoints/passenger screening is quite off-limits.

Pure ignorance. Airports are not private property (with some notable exceptions, including JFK's T4), they are public property, but are limited to people who have legitimate business there. Also the TSA themselves allow photography at their checkpoints as long as you aren't interfering with the screening process or filming their screens. Here is a link to where the TSA states this, I hope you do some research next time before posting false information. https://www.tsa.gov/travel/frequently-a ... checkpoint
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

CairnterriAIR

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:25 pm

I guess they found out what their reaction would be......

mast2407

Tue Jan 23, 2018 11:41 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
Blimpie wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

Pure ignorance. Airports are not private property (with some notable exceptions, including JFK's T4), they are public property, but are limited to people who have legitimate business there. Also the TSA themselves allow photography at their checkpoints as long as you aren't interfering with the screening process or filming their screens. Here is a link to where the TSA states this, I hope you do some research next time before posting false information. https://www.tsa.gov/travel/frequently-a ... checkpoint

Without having ever been in the USA, I’m commenting!

In Ireland, there are signs preventing the use of cameras or recording devices pretty much the entire way from the initial boarding pass check point to the airside of the security checkpoint.

Also, we have private operators for airports in Europe, which is what I thought Blimpie was potentially referring to, in which case, recording on somebody’s property is entirely suspect, particularly where matters of security and data protection arise. I wanted to take photos of an airport for personal use (student of architecture), which is fully public in ownership and use by the way, and I had to seek permission to do so.

Wave whatever amendment you like, common sense suggests unless you’ve got a clear reason to do so, leave the photography and videotaping to the pros in the airport.

Super80Fan

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:01 am

mast2407 wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
Blimpie wrote:

In Ireland, there are signs preventing the use of cameras or recording devices pretty much the entire way from the initial boarding pass check point to the airside of the security checkpoint.

Also, we have private operators for airports in Europe, which is what I thought Blimpie was potentially referring to, in which case, recording on somebody’s property is entirely suspect, particularly where matters of security and data protection arise. I wanted to take photos of an airport for personal use (student of architecture), which is fully public in ownership and use by the way, and I had to seek permission to do so.

Wave whatever amendment you like, common sense suggests unless you’ve got a clear reason to do so, leave the photography and videotaping to the pros in the airport.

Common sense suggests you don't comment on other countries laws when you don't know what you're talking about. Europe isn't the USA buddy.
RIP McDonnell Douglas
RIP US Airways

iseeyyc

Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:32 am

DL747400 wrote:

Probably destined for youtube. Its not a "social experiment"...its "messing with law enforcement". Just don't do it.

mast2407

Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:34 am

Super80Fan wrote:
mast2407 wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:

Common sense suggests you don't comment on other countries laws when you don't know what you're talking about. Europe isn't the USA buddy.

Thanks for the geography lesson.

By the way, you're precisely what is wrong with this website. People trying to have a discussion with you, openly, and all you do is shut them down with insults and telling them to back off in the process. I was simply informing you of how stuff works this side of the pond. And my common sense comment (Not yours), still stands:

mast2407 wrote:

YYZYYT

Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:54 pm

flyingcat wrote:

Maybe I read the story differently, but I don't see the TSA reaction to be that the group was trying to get an IED through, the spokesman only stated that it "looked like" an IED. Anyway, not the kid of "stupid" I thought when I first read the thread title, but still stupid.

And as for the raging debate over filming in a public area: It's a complex issue here in Canada, AND in the US (where I travel frequently, calm down).

There are certainly many exemptions and qualifications to the rule that it's "ok to film in a 'public" place", but "not ok in 'private' place". There are many private places where the public has free access, where there is no expectation of privacy, and many public areas where there are legitimate (including security) reasons to restrict any such "right". Some examples would be courthouses, security checkpoints, military installations. While the rules vary from country to country, they are all based in common sense. I would think that any member of this forum who lives in a liberal democracy, with enshrined notions of individual rights and freedoms, would get that (for example, do you have to live in the US to think it's a good idea to take a video of the security gate at a US Air Force Strategic Air Command base??)

Heck, even the US which (justifiably) takes personal liberty very seriously has limits, as to "time place and manner" that they can be exercised. After all, it was a US Supreme Court Justice who wrote that freedom of speech doesn't include the right to shout "fire" in a crowded theater (paraphrasing). In fact, IIRC that sentence was written in a decision upholding wartime espionage laws, which restricted liberties.

Etheereal

Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:32 pm

mast2407 wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
mast2407 wrote:

Thanks for the geography lesson.

By the way, you're precisely what is wrong with this website. People trying to have a discussion with you, openly, and all you do is shut them down with insults and telling them to back off in the process. I was simply informing you of how stuff works this side of the pond. And my common sense comment (Not yours), still stands:

mast2407 wrote:

"common sense" isnt really common, so you're just using a fallacy.
Also, as superfan says: If the 1st Ammendment allows recording (as long as its outside the "restricted" areas), then u should be fine. There's no "common sense" applied there.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos