DLHAM
Topic Author

Hainan to fly to HAM

Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:54 pm

According to Airlineroute on Twitter (https://twitter.com/Airlineroute/status/955941379435151360), Hainan intendes to move some Berlin frequencies to Hamburg. The plan is to fly Beijing - Hamburg from August twice a week with A330 "and/or" 787. This has been requested to the CAAC yesterday.

Why move frequencies? Chinese Airlines have limited frequencies to Germany which are all used, no expansion possible without cutting back somewhere else.

This would be Hamburgs first real, long awaited China flight. (Not mentioning that stupid 1-2 weekly China Eastern flight via FRA back in 2011/2012/2013).
My Instagram Account: Instagram

drdisque

Re: Hainan to fly to HAM

Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:36 pm

Hamburg is potentially a bigger market. As a shipping and science city it has some natural business ties to China. If the Berlin route was doing poorly, I definitely understand the motive to try HAM instead of just giving up the frequencies.

AirbusOnly

Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:26 pm

I will only believe that if I see the first Hainan bird at HAM...how often such flights were announced already @ HAM airport

DLHAM
Topic Author

Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:34 pm

AirbusOnly wrote:
I will only believe that if I see the first Hainan bird at HAM...how often such flights were announced already @ HAM airport

Do you have examples? I can remember many rumors which never happened, but its never been that concrete.
But I also dont want to be happy too early ... just in case ...

B777LRF

Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:40 pm

HNA Group is presently in a spot of bother, financially, having previously engaged in an aggressive expansion exercise costing a lot of money. Recently their HK Express brand has been barred from expansion and adding aircraft to their fleet by the CAAC.

Furthermore, Hainan (or one of the other HNA Group brands) have previously announced new routes to this, that and the other European and North American destinations, only to cancel them very quietly rather close to launch day.

As a previous poster put it, I'll believe it when we see one in HAM.
Signature. You just read one.

r2rho

Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:09 pm

Nothing yet spotted in German media... and given HAM's history of "success" with gaining intercontinental flights, plus the total passiveness of local authorities in the matter, I too will believe it when I see the first aircraft.

As for the route itself, it certainly makes sense, though I could see higher potential in PVG than PEK.

DLHAM
Topic Author

Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:31 pm

r2rho wrote:
Nothing yet spotted in German media... and given HAM's history of "success" with gaining intercontinental flights, plus the total passiveness of local authorities in the matter, I too will believe it when I see the first aircraft.

As for the route itself, it certainly makes sense, though I could see higher potential in PVG than PEK.

In German:

https://www.mopo.de/hamburg/direktflug-nach-china-bald-geht-s-von-hamburg-direkt-nach-peking--29554482

dc10lover

Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:02 pm

I read they will also be serving YVR ( Vancouver BC)
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

dc10lover

Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:03 pm

It's good they are growing.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

zakuivcustom

Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:46 pm

dc10lover wrote:

Yes, they certainly are:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1384501

For the proposed flight itself, HU is only flying PEK-TXL 3 times per week right now. If they shifted 2 to HAM that means there would be only 1/wk flight left to TXL. Certainly not good news for Berlin. On the other hand, imo all HU seems to be doing is throwing on a dartboard all the secondary cities you can think of and hope some would work.

Ferryflight

Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:58 pm

Air Berlin and Hainan had a cooperation in Berlin. I guess this is the main reason.

Cunard

Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:47 am

dc10lover wrote:
It's good they are growing.

Yeah that's all well and done but at what cost considering the groups current position!
94 Countries, 327 Destinations Worldwide, 32 Airlines, 29 Aircraft Types, 182 Airports, 335 Flights.

LTU932

Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:58 pm

r2rho wrote:

UA had a nice run until after a decade they decided to cut down on HAM. That being said, I don't think this new flight to China will last long, but I hope I'm wrong.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

MaxiAir

Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:23 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
dc10lover wrote:

Yes, they certainly are:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1384501

For the proposed flight itself, HU is only flying PEK-TXL 3 times per week right now. If they shifted 2 to HAM that means there would be only 1/wk flight left to TXL. Certainly not good news for Berlin. On the other hand, imo all HU seems to be doing is throwing on a dartboard all the secondary cities you can think of and hope some would work.

Berlin is 5/7 in the summer, so they would just stay at 3/7 when Hamburg takes over the remaining 2/7. I hope it happens and I hope they send the A330 and 787 each weekly.
Flown on - 306,313,318,319,320,321,332,333,343,345,346,359,35K,388, 712,733,734,735,736,73G,738,744,748,752,753,763,77E,77L,77W, 788, 789, M11, M1F, M88, CR7,CR9, E35,E45,E75,E90,E95, AR1,AR8, DHT,DH1,DH4, and some more ;)

patrickw421

Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:49 pm

B777LRF wrote:
HNA Group is presently in a spot of bother, financially, having previously engaged in an aggressive expansion exercise costing a lot of money. Recently their HK Express brand has been barred from expansion and adding aircraft to their fleet by the CAAC.

Furthermore, Hainan (or one of the other HNA Group brands) have previously announced new routes to this, that and the other European and North American destinations, only to cancel them very quietly rather close to launch day.

As a previous poster put it, I'll believe it when we see one in HAM.

Just for record the expansion ban for HK Express was decided and enforced by HKCAD and not CAAC as they are based in Hong Kong.

I hope this is a more thought through decision than many of their other decisions which seem to be quite randomly decided.

r2rho

Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:11 pm

UA had a nice run until after a decade they decided to cut down on HAM. That being said, I don't think this new flight to China will last long, but I hope I'm wrong.

They did and the flight was always well booked, but have decided to deploy assets elsewhere, as happened to STR which even got cut completely. IMO "secondary" cities like these are suffering from the effect of TATL JV's, as UA doesn't really care much if HAM pax fly on them non-stop or via FRA on the JV - they will still get the money. Any spill to AF-KL will be low-yielding pax anyway, and Star frequent flyers will stay loyal.

N14AZ

Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:25 pm

DLHAM wrote:
AirbusOnly wrote:

Do you have examples? I can remember many rumors which never happened, but its never been that concrete.

China Eastern flew to HAM several years ago but stopped it due to low pax numbers. IIRC it was an extension of the flight from PEK to FRA.

DLHAM
Topic Author

Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:43 pm

N14AZ wrote:
DLHAM wrote:
AirbusOnly wrote:

China Eastern flew to HAM several years ago but stopped it due to low pax numbers. IIRC it was an extension of the flight from PEK to FRA.

Well, its no wonder that the route wont perform good. Only once a week and via FRA, that was a joke. Which important Business Traveller do you want to attract, most of them in Germany are Star Alliance Status members. Why should they use MU with such a bad frequency AND a stop in FRA. The flight must be nonstop to drive them away from Star Alliance.
If the flight would have been nonstop (PVG - HAM - CDG was a good option IMO these days) it would have been a sucess. But I am sure the traffic rights were not allowing several nonstop flights a week.

At the beginning there were only between 10 and 20 passengers on each flight. After some time it developed better, average 50-70 pax. There were also flights leaving with over a 100.

NichCage

Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:08 pm

Air Transat also served YYZ-HAM for a quite a while.

Sad to see UA drop year round EWR-HAM. I'm sure a 752 could fly the route year round pretty well.

LTU932

Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:07 pm

NichCage wrote:
Sad to see UA drop year round EWR-HAM. I'm sure a 752 could fly the route year round pretty well.
They already did that, but the problem has always been the headwinds during the winter on the westbound. That was one of the reasons for switching to the 763.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos