Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AA321T
Topic Author

American Main Cabin Extra Enhancements

Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:23 pm

An internal memo was just sent out outlining enhancements that are coming to Main Cabin Extra on all mainline and regional flights effective February 1st. The highlights include preferred boarding, reserved overhead bin space (all bins will be placarded as reserved for First/Business/MCE/Main Cabin pax, and complimentary beer, wine, and spirits.

Should be nice upgrades to the experience, as long as the crews follow through with the changes.

OKCDCA

Re: American Main Cabin Extra Enhancements

Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:40 pm

Good news! I was wondering how much longer Delta was going to get away with being the only airline offering complimentary alcoholic beverages in their version of MCE. I'll be curious how this is implemented on Eagle flights on the 140/145's where there is no MCE but "preferred seats."

As for the reserved bin space, I think it will work itself out with MCE having preferred boarding as they should all be on board with bags stowed before economy passengers. I've also noticed cabin crews being more assertive about making passengers sitting towards the back not place their carry-ons towards front just because they see an open bin space but actually making people carry it to the back of the plane.

AA321T
Topic Author

Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:54 pm

OKCDCA wrote:
Good news! I was wondering how much longer Delta was going to get away with being the only airline offering complimentary alcoholic beverages in their version of MCE. I'll be curious how this is implemented on Eagle flights on the 140/145's where there is no MCE but "preferred seats."

As for the reserved bin space, I think it will work itself out with MCE having preferred boarding as they should all be on board with bags stowed before economy passengers. I've also noticed cabin crews being more assertive about making passengers sitting towards the back not place their carry-ons towards front just because they see an open bin space but actually making people carry it to the back of the plane.

It’s good news overall! The memo does specifically state that “MCE will not take the place of Preferred Seats”, so take that as you will I guess. It also states that we’re not responsible for monitoring overhead bin space, but I can already foresee people getting upset with me that “their” reserved space is not available to them.

AAtakeMeAway

Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:39 pm

AA321T wrote:
An internal memo was just sent out outlining enhancements that are coming to Main Cabin Extra on all mainline and regional flights effective February 1st. The highlights include preferred boarding, reserved overhead bin space (all bins will be placarded as reserved for First/Business/MCE/Main Cabin pax, and complimentary beer, wine, and spirits.

Should be nice upgrades to the experience, as long as the crews follow through with the changes.

For these purposes, exit row seats that aren't part of the MCE section, such as row 24 and seats 25A and 25F on the 32B, are considered MCE, right? I love 25F and I love comp spirits.

drdisque

Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:39 pm

I've noticed that AA's MCE prices are usually pretty low compared to UA economy plus, maybe this is a way they feel like they can get more buy ups at higher prices.

OKCDCA

Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:51 pm

AAtakeMeAway wrote:
AA321T wrote:

For these purposes, exit row seats that aren't part of the MCE section, such as row 24 and seats 25A and 25F on the 32B, are considered MCE, right? I love 25F and I love comp spirits.

I would think they would have to be as they are shown as MCE when you look at a seat map and are sold for a premium.

OB1504

Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:17 pm

I wonder if later on AA will make MCE a dedicated fare class like Delta did with Comfort+.

AAtakeMeAway wrote:

That's going to make for some awkward interactions for the FAs, having to explain to passengers why only one person in their row gets freebies.

AAtakeMeAway

Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:24 pm

OB1504 wrote:
I wonder if later on AA will make MCE a dedicated fare class like Delta did with Comfort+.

AAtakeMeAway wrote:

That's going to make for some awkward interactions for the FAs, having to explain to passengers why only one person in their row gets freebies.

Yes, I suppose it would be handled in a similar fashion to the free BOB snack item for Exec Plats.

jbs2886

Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:36 pm

Finally! This has been my biggest complaint since switching from Delta. Comfort + on DL was more than just extra leg room and earlier boarding and I always thought MCE should have more.

Austin787

Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:02 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
Finally! This has been my biggest complaint since switching from Delta. Comfort + on DL was more than just extra leg room and earlier boarding and I always thought MCE should have more.

Be careful what you wish for. It's possible these enhancements could cause AA to copy DL by turning MCE into its own cabin with its own fare classes. Which would mean MCE becomes a class you have to upgrade into - moving from a window/aisle in regular economy into a middle MCE is hardly an "upgrade".

CHI2DFW

Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:36 pm

Now that I switched jobs and don’t fly every other week this happens!

tcfc424

Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:07 am

This is an awesome development!

9w748capt

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:00 am

Austin787 wrote:
jbs2886 wrote:

Be careful what you wish for. It's possible these enhancements could cause AA to copy DL by turning MCE into its own cabin with its own fare classes. Which would mean MCE becomes a class you have to upgrade into - moving from a window/aisle in regular economy into a middle MCE is hardly an "upgrade".

I'm sure hoping AA doesn't go that far - especially now that most of their widebodies have premium economy. Would definitely suck if MCE turns into comfort+.

usxguy

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:31 am

Alaska has also offered complimentary alcohol + a mini snack box for those in the premium section; and Virgin America has unlimited food & beverages for Main Cabin Select.

WkndWanderer

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:33 am

OKCDCA wrote:

Alaska also does free alcoholic drinks along with the snack box in their premium class.

AAtakeMeAway

Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:37 am

Are exit row seats part of DL Comfort +?

burnsie28

Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:56 pm

AAtakeMeAway wrote:
Are exit row seats part of DL Comfort +?

No its a defined non-split cabin. So there are some fleets where Comfort+ does entail the exit rows (some 767-300's) but otherwise unless it flows from Comfort+ row in front of it then it's not part of Comfort+.

Did they say anything about enhanced snacks which DL does on longer flights for Comfort+? They come around with a little basket that has a more robust offering than just the standard snacks.

burnsie28

Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:00 pm

OKCDCA wrote:

Probably the same that DL did before making the first row of the RJ's C+. It's not offered so wouldn't be an issue.

AA321T
Topic Author

Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:39 pm

burnsie28 wrote:
Did they say anything about enhanced snacks which DL does on longer flights for Comfort+? They come around with a little basket that has a more robust offering than just the standard snacks.

No upgraded snacks were mentioned.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos