Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ojas
Topic Author

Emirates Announces non stop flights to EWR

Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:51 am

Effective 01st June 2018, Emirates will announce a new non stop flights to EWR and also reduce one non stop flight to JFK

EK 223 DXB - EWR 0300 0900
EK 224 EWR - DXB 1150 0820+1

Daily B777-300ER ( 3 class)

Current operation to NYC: 3 daily non stop to JFK + 1 daily via MXP to JFK + 1 daily via ATH to EWR
From 01st June: 2 Daily Non stop to JFK + 1 daily via MXP to JFK + 1 non stop to EWR + 1 daily via ATH to EWR

https://www.emirates.com/media-centre/e ... rom-1-june
Great leaders don't tell you what to do ... they show you how it's done!

hayzel777

Re: Emirates Announces non stop flights to EWR

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:01 am

Not surprising...lots of Indians in NJ.

adambrau

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:05 am

I understand that DXB is mainly connecting pax and UA doesn't fly there anymore anyway. America First doesn't apply to all industries ie air transport and that is fine because our government allowed these deals. But as a Global Services member I will never enter an Emirates cabin and Dubai (IMHO) as a creative NY downtowner seems trashier than our Vegas. But i understand my fellow country people who actually possess the braveness to travel outside our borders may be intrigued by EK. I'll stick with the friendly skies ;)
JFK Friendly

UAEflyer

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:11 am

Good sucking from Canada :)
If Canada will not allow , JFK & SEA always there ;)

aviationaware

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:14 am

Not surprising, but interesting to see that they are dropping one JFK rotation for it.

LAX772LR

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:55 am

I'm shocked that this route didn't come yearrrrrrrs ago, but good to finally see it now.
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

Arion640

Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:23 am

adambrau wrote:
I understand that DXB is mainly connecting pax and UA doesn't fly there anymore anyway. America First doesn't apply to all industries ie air transport and that is fine because our government allowed these deals. But as a Global Services member I will never enter an Emirates cabin and Dubai (IMHO) as a creative NY downtowner seems trashier than our Vegas. But i understand my fellow country people who actually possess the braveness to travel outside our borders may be intrigued by EK. I'll stick with the friendly skies ;)

I've never understood comments like this, you're entitled to your opinion ofcourse, but just don't get why people hate airlines like EK. Dubai is certainly not trashier, you haven't even been by the sounds of it? There are certainly a lot more dodgy things going on in new york than dubai...

I live in the UK and I'm no way loyal to British Airways one bit.

bgm

Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:51 am

adambrau wrote:

"braveness to travel outside our borders" ?

Given that kind of ignorant mentality, it's probably better you don't travel internationally. Yikes.

gokmengs

Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:17 am

adambrau wrote:

WOW! I think its better you stick to domestic travel. Let them posses the braveness of dealing with your globally open mind.
Yaşa Mustafa Kemal Paşa Yaşa, Adın Yazılacak Mücevher Taşa

chepos

Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:01 am

adambrau wrote:

Hmmm, how to even analyze this. Have to say, been to both Vegas and Dubai, Vegas is the trashier of the two. Not sure I would even call Dubai trashy. Yes, if is full of malls and tourist, but not sure I would compare it to Vegas.
Fly the Flag!!!!

ltbewr

Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:41 am

As others suggested, it will be an option for those going to/from India as well as good connections at both EWR and DXB especially to many cities directly not well served by other airlines out of EWR and not have to go to JFK.

dtw2hyd

Thu Jan 25, 2018 11:50 am

UA and AI already offer non-stops to BOM/DEL and AI 5th freedom EWR-LHR-AMD. Both have captive markets. It will be interesting to see EWR-India prices.
All posts are just opinions.

BENAir01

Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:18 pm

adambrau wrote:

I’m quite glad that you don’t have the “braveness” to travel outside this country because most people, with your ignorant closed off idiotic mindset and they would send you right back. Kind of sad though how much you are missing out on. Then again, if you’re not brave enough to experience cool things, that’s on you, so why am I sad for you?
Why is flying so expensive? And why is flying well so much more?

Delta757MD88

Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:33 pm

Will this be with the new configuration?
Flown on: MD-88/90 DC-9 717 737-7/8/900, 757-2/300, 767-3/400 777-200/300ER 787-9, E145/170/175, CRJ-100/200/700/900, A319/320 A333 A350 Q300/400.

jfklganyc

Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:34 pm

Just to check, they are dropping a 380 at JFK for a 777 at EWR? Big loss of seats, no? I know EWR cant handle the 380, but it says that EK has an excess of seats in the NY market (as many of us have long suspected)

Cointrin330

Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:38 pm

Does this mean the ATH-EWR-ATH segment gets dropped (it never made any sense, though it was the only year-round nonstop to ATH from the US as all other services (PHL, JFK, EWR) are all seasonal. Interesting to see them drop one A380 at JFK for this flight and will be even more interesting to see what pricing pressure this may exert on the UA/AI nonstop flights.

STT757

Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:45 pm

Cointrin330 wrote:
Does this mean the ATH-EWR-ATH segment gets dropped .

No, this will be in addition to the EWR-ATH-DXB flight. EK is merely moving one of the three JFK frequencies to EWR.

After June 1st:

JFK-DXB 2x, JFK-MXP-DXB 1
EWR-DXB 1, EWR-ATH-DXB 1
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

DWC

Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:51 pm

ojas wrote:
Effective 01st June 2018, Emirates will announce a new non stop flights to EWR and also reduce one non stop flight to JFK

EK 223 DXB - EWR 0300 0900
EK 224 EWR - DXB 1150 0820+1

Daily B777-300ER ( 3 class)

Current operation to NYC: 3 daily non stop to JFK + 1 daily via MXP to JFK + 1 daily via ATH to EWR
From 01st June: 2 Daily Non stop to JFK + 1 daily via MXP to JFK + 1 non stop to EWR + 1 daily via ATH to EWR

https://www.emirates.com/media-centre/e ... rom-1-june

That is still 5 daily WB flights into & out of NYC ( about half what they have for London ), pretty amazing as it is ULH, just like CX...

DolphinAir747

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:22 pm

Awesome. I’ve been calling for this for years, makes sense given the India traffic.

However I don’t understand why they keep EWR-ATH and JFK-MXP. Seems like they are charging very cheap fares on these and could improve yields and connectivity with an all-nonstop 3x JFK 2x EWR operation.

worldranger

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:32 pm

adambrau wrote:

Don’t know where to start on this post, I’ll just leave it at - it’s take a lot of courage to get onto an American manufactured aircraft that will be serving this route, getting checked in by American gate staff, eating American catered food, drinking beer & wine from America on board, paying ticket taxes to the American government, taking American transport to the airport, buying sundries from American owned franchises at terminal - and flying directly to DXB from an American city.

Now that’s courageous

airbazar

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:36 pm

jfklganyc wrote:
Just to check, they are dropping a 380 at JFK for a 777 at EWR? Big loss of seats, no? I know EWR cant handle the 380, but it says that EK has an excess of seats in the NY market (as many of us have long suspected)

That's until they increase it to 2x daily. I'd be shocked if this doesn't go to 2 daily within a year.
Keep in mind that an EWR flight will now be able to draw passengers from Philadelphia.

DaveFly

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:43 pm

adambrau wrote:

I agree! I just returned from Bangalore via BA and London. I cringe at the thought of transferring at some third world Arab sheikdom. And yeah, I prefer to remain in the States; plenty to see here, although Vegas ain’t my kind of place.

I guess fearing the UAE makes me a racist. My bad.
L1011,DC8,DC9,DC10,MD80/90
A300,A319,320,321,330,340,
CRJ,E135/45/190,
DH8,Avro85,DHBeaver,AstarHelo,F100,ATR42

TryToFlySomeday

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:44 pm

Congrats to EK! They may not be able to get loyal Indians customers away from UA’s nonstops from DEL/BOM - EWR, but they will for sure capture whatever Pakistanis going from KHI/LHE/ISB - EWR via DXB much easier now.
Pakistani American born and raised near CHI (ORD/MDW). Relatives are from both India and Pakistan

hz747300

Thu Jan 25, 2018 1:46 pm

Why do airlines always announce routes right before they fail?
Keep on truckin'...

hohd

Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:02 pm

Considering that a fair number of passengers on the EK EWR flight connect to India, both UA and AI are probably are not very thrilled at this. But timings wise, the EK flight outbound is not very convenient compared to UA and AI (especially for passengers going to BOM).

dmstorm22

Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:06 pm

jfklganyc wrote:

Wasn't EK hinting at already dropping one of the A380 flights at JFK to a 77W? Makes sense in a way to move it to EWR for catchment, but I agree part of the story here is a downsize of the seats available in the NYC metro area.

Irehdna

Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:17 pm

hohd wrote:
Considering that a fair number of passengers on the EK EWR flight connect to India, both UA and AI are probably are not very thrilled at this. But timings wise, the EK flight outbound is not very convenient compared to UA and AI (especially for passengers going to BOM).

EK operates a flight EK506, which departs DXB at 0930 and arrives in BOM at 1430. Arriving at BOM in daylight would be very valuable to many people, instead of a late evening arrival.

dmstorm22

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:00 pm

hohd wrote:

I don't know, awaits to be seen really. UA has run those EWR-DEL/BOM routes for years. From what I understand with decent LF and yields. This with so many 1-stop options, including at one point 7 ME3 flights out of JFK, those flights have continued on.

The NYC Metro area of course has a giant south Asian population, but more pointedly a fairly high-income south Asian population as well, where they would pay more to potentially take a non-stop option, or enough business in DEL or BOM to need a non-stop and avoid the 3-4 extra hours.

On the whole, I don't see this is a large threat to UA's and AI's non-stops out of EWR. If anything, the reduction in overall EK capacity across the NYC metro is a sign that those routes (or even the EU players that do quite well with south Asians, particularly BA and LH) are in good standing.

FSDan

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:23 pm

It looks like as of now they're still planning on running the A380 on JFK-MXP-DXB - it's hard to believe the capacity is warranted on JFK-MXP with 4 other airlines also on the route. If any EK route from JFK gets downgauged to a 77W, I hope it's this one. Also, the JFK-MXP-DXB and late JFK-DXB nonstop leave within 40 minutes of each other. I'm surprised they didn't choose to cut the late nonstop from JFK and keep the earlier evening one to offer better timing options.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

slcdeltarumd11

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:32 pm

The big looser here will be star alliance. Lots of traffic from ewr-india.

EK has been so over serving JFK for years, we all expected something to happen with that crazy operation. I wouldn't be surprised if we still see one of those non-stops change to a stop in Europe.

Dominion301

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:45 pm

I bet Porter's happy so that they can now feed a nonstop EWR-DXB from YTZ, especially on the days of the week YYZ-DXB doesn't (can't) operate.

spinotter

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:45 pm

BENAir01 wrote:
adambrau wrote:

I’m quite glad that you don’t have the “braveness” to travel outside this country because most people, with your ignorant closed off idiotic mindset and they would send you right back. Kind of sad though how much you are missing out on. Then again, if you’re not brave enough to experience cool things, that’s on you, so why am I sad for you?

Dubai is a cool thing? In my opinion it shows how low the human race is capable of going. Not that I have anything against EK or any other airline, but who could be proud of where humanity is going?

kiowa

Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:54 pm

adambrau wrote:

I fly a lot of international including Dubai. I avoid Dubai as well. I have described it to friends as a "Vegas without a renewable resource". Trashy is not the word that I would use but I have no desire to ever go back.

PW100

Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:05 pm

DWC wrote:
That is still 5 daily WB flights into & out of NYC ( about half what they have for London ), pretty amazing as it is ULH, just like CX...

Haven't been counting lately, but I expect the amount of LON - NYC WB flights to be closer to 20 (perhaps even 25) than 10. BA alone is flying 13 daily round trips. Add in AA, VS, DL, UA, and probably another couple of airlines, that's way more than your "double-five" . . .

But I do agree with your point in that 5 times daily (inl\clsuing A380s) is still pretty amazing capacity on such a long route.
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"

jasoncrh

Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:13 pm

Why are you "fearing" the UAE? I lived there and it's totally fine. It's defnitely not a third world place. Lots to see in the States, but richer and older cultures that have helped influence our development come from elsewhere. I like seeing where things originate. but Ymmv

DaveFly wrote:
adambrau wrote:

I agree! I just returned from Bangalore via BA and London. I cringe at the thought of transferring at some third world Arab sheikdom. And yeah, I prefer to remain in the States; plenty to see here, although Vegas ain’t my kind of place.

migair54

Thu Jan 25, 2018 5:40 pm

hohd wrote:

I think timings are not bad, arriving DXB at 0820am good for many flights leaving Dubai after 0930 with EK, SIN, ADD, EBB, NBO, DAR, BOM, DEL, LUN-HRE, BKK, SGN, MLE, CMB and many more, also now EK and FZ work closer with connecting pax between both.

The flight EK has removed is EK207/208 I think that flight has been seasonal for a while, it was not year round, but after adding think new flight to EWR, I will be surprise if EK re-starts the flight.

jfklganyc wrote:

Technically, but JFK loss one daily A380 and in the last months EWR got the DXB-ATH-EWR and the DXB-EWR, so 1 daily A380 less but 2 B77W to EWR, I think this way will work better offering 5 daily flights to NYC area with non-stop options from JFK and EWR.

Delta757MD88 wrote:
Will this be with the new configuration?

I think for that we will have to wait to know this for sure, but so far only GVA and BRU have the new First class suites, new configuration has 6 F suites, old has 8F.

airbazar

Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:02 pm

dmstorm22 wrote:
The NYC Metro area of course has a giant south Asian population, but more pointedly a fairly high-income south Asian population as well, where they would pay more to potentially take a non-stop option, or enough business in DEL or BOM to need a non-stop and avoid the 3-4 extra hours.

On the whole, I don't see this is a large threat to UA's and AI's non-stops out of EWR. If anything, the reduction in overall EK capacity across the NYC metro is a sign that those routes (or even the EU players that do quite well with south Asians, particularly BA and LH) are in good standing.

The downside of the non-stop is that it requires an additional side trip to go shopping in Dubai :) People underestimate the power of the DXB stop for a lot of these passengers. DXB itself is often the deciding factor. We American's may not care about the stop in DXB, especially when traveling for business, but many, many people and especially on the Indian side of the market see it as an actual benefit. flying EK is also a bit of a status symbol for Indians.

LAX772LR

Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:08 pm

DaveFly wrote:

Nah, just highly irrational and clearly inexperienced.

If you feel safe in a country where mass shootings are a "meh" (had four already this week, one of them being a school)... then you certainly have nothing to fear about the UAE.

But you'd need education, or even just a general sense of awareness, to know that...
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

dz09

Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:27 pm

adambrau wrote:

Global Services? if you were paying for your own tickets, I'm sure you'll consider EK or any other airlines offering a better value. As to the friendly Skies airline, it is also my preferred airline and I'll soon be a two million miler with them. However, I'm tired of transiting through Europe everytime I need to go to the UAE. I wish UA would consider a direct flight to Dubai from Newark. With the new Polaris service, I'm sure they can give EK a run for their money.

your characterization of Dubai is simply not fair or correct!

dz09

Thu Jan 25, 2018 6:37 pm

DaveFly wrote:
adambrau wrote:

don't worry, fearing the UAE does not make you a racist. It just makes you an idiot. I am a 1000% pro-American but to call the UAE a third world place is simply being ignorant.

Galwayman

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:01 pm

Really wish EK would operate Lon > NYC

BA is just as dreadful as the US3 these days :-(

airzona11

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:15 pm

Galwayman wrote:

What aspect is EK better at LON - NYC? They wouldn't have frequency so it would be trivial. I am not bashing EK, just not sure EK has anything better than US3/BA. I think EK is going to do really well EWR, that is a lot of easy connections to India/Asia

pasu129

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:24 pm

adambrau wrote:

I never understand why people relates Vegas as trash. Vegas has more 5* 5Diamonds hotels on a 5miles strip than any city, let's not forget about all the gourmet and celebrity chefs restaurants, as well as world class entertainment. You are correct Vegas economy is not build on financial institutes (btw that industry crashed world economy in 2008) but world class entertainment, which no other city in the world offers.

If you would like to talk about trash, please look at your backyard, sorry that's called Staten Island, and your Jersey Shores.

Back to Aviation, EK's continual growth within US is a benefit for all consumers, creates competitive environment and advancements in both airlines' soft and hard product. Congrats!
Viva Las Vegas

airzim

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:25 pm

Galwayman wrote:

EK is over-rated.

Unless you're flying First or the A380 (which can't fly to EWR), avoid EK

2-3-2 Business Class on 777s.

Angled flat J for most of the rest of the fleet (although lie flat is coming slowly).

3-4-3 in Econ.

Lousy FFP.

Sounds like luxury!

pasu129

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:27 pm

dz09 wrote:
DaveFly wrote:
adambrau wrote:

don't worry, fearing the UAE does not make you a racist. It just makes you an idiot. I am a 1000% pro-American but to call the UAE a third world place is simply being ignorant.

Agree 100%
Viva Las Vegas

BENAir01

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:49 pm

spinotter wrote:
BENAir01 wrote:
adambrau wrote:

Dubai is a cool thing? In my opinion it shows how low the human race is capable of going. Not that I have anything against EK or any other airline, but who could be proud of where humanity is going?

I wouldn’t necessarily say Dubai is a cool place, but certainly there are many places outside the US worth visiting. For example, a few years ago I was in El Calafate, in Patagonia, and it was incredible.
And wtf does this thread or Dubai for that matter have to do with humanity and where it’s going? I mean, I also am not a big fan of humanity, but not because of a flight from Newark to Dubai or a city itself.
Last edited by BENAir01 on Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BENAir01

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:50 pm

DaveFly wrote:
adambrau wrote:

Just to confirm: you’re being sarcastic, correct?

gatibosgru

Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:50 pm

DaveFly wrote:
adambrau wrote:

Take the OT conversation to another thread. This isn't about your opinion on EK or UAE, it is about the new service from DXB-EWR.
@DadCelo

Arion640

Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:53 pm

airzim wrote:
Galwayman wrote:

EK is over-rated.

Unless you're flying First or the A380 (which can't fly to EWR), avoid EK

2-3-2 Business Class on 777s.

Angled flat J for most of the rest of the fleet (although lie flat is coming slowly).

3-4-3 in Econ.

Lousy FFP.

Sounds like luxury!

Yes but if they did start LON-NYC it would certainly be on an A380.

And hmmmm, what other carriers have 3-4-3 on the 777....hmmmm, oh the US3 maybe?

FSDan

Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:02 pm

Arion640 wrote:
And hmmmm, what other carriers have 3-4-3 on the 777....hmmmm, oh the US3 maybe?

Out of the US3, two have 3-4-3 (AA and UA). DL is one of the few airlines in the world that has decided to keep 3-3-3 seating.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos