Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
AirbusCanada
Topic Author
Posts: 648
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:14 am

Biman approves purchase of three Q400 from Bombardier

Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:04 pm

Biman Bangladesh Airlines is set to buy three 80-seater aircraft from Canada for $22.42 million each under a government-to-government arrangement.

The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has given its consent for Biman Bangladesh Airlines to buy three Bombardier Dash 8 aircraft for operation on both domestic and international routes .

Biman’s government-to-government purchase proposal, under Ministry of Civil Aviation and Tourism, was approved at a meeting of the committee presided over by Finance Minister AMA Muhith.

Biman already has two Dash 8-Q400 aircraft in its fleet on rental basis, at a monthly cost of $168,000. The airlines took lease of the aircraft for five years from Egypt’s Smart Aviation Company in 2015.

Links
http://www.thedailystar.net/business/tourism/biman-plans-buy-three-80-seater-aircraft-1507513
http://www.dhakatribune.com/business/2017/12/21/cabinet-approves-biman-proposal-procure-3-bombardier-dash-8-aircraft/
 
leghorn
Posts: 1297
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:13 am

Re: Biman approves purchase of three Q400 from Bombardier

Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:58 pm

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sing ... ium=Social

Bombardier expects strong sales of Q400 this year.

I'd be hopeful too but if all those operators of Q400 who we hope migrate to CS100/CS300 dispose of their planes that will dampen demand for new Q400 planes.
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2894
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Biman approves purchase of three Q400 from Bombardier

Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:54 pm

leghorn wrote:
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-singapore-airshow-bombardier/bombardier-expects-strong-sales-of-q400-turboprops-this-year-executive-idUSKBN1FQ0X5?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=Social

Bombardier expects strong sales of Q400 this year.

I'd be hopeful too but if all those operators of Q400 who we hope migrate to CS100/CS300 dispose of their planes that will dampen demand for new Q400 planes.


How many existing Q operators will be replacing their aircraft with CS1/3s?

I too can see 2018 being a second consecutive excellent year for Q400 sales. I can see potentially AC, WS and PD all placing top-up orders. WS could easily handle absorbing another 20 Qs in their fleet within the next five years. If PD ever wants to grow again, they'll need more Qs too at some point.

Well with this order, that makes 9 Q400s sold thus far in 2018. Not a bad start.
 
leghorn
Posts: 1297
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:13 am

Re: Biman approves purchase of three Q400 from Bombardier

Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:32 pm

http://aviationweek.com/singapore-airsh ... bombardier

"ATR ate our lunch"

I wonder what they mean by improving the Q400.
Is it like "new improved recipe" which usually means no better but cheaper to produce or actually new capability.
 
AirbusCanada
Topic Author
Posts: 648
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:14 am

Re: Biman approves purchase of three Q400 from Bombardier

Wed Feb 07, 2018 7:18 pm

Dominion301 wrote:

I can see potentially AC, WS and PD all placing top-up orders. WS could easily handle absorbing another 20 Qs in their fleet within the next five years. If PD ever wants to grow again, they'll need more Qs too at some point.

Well with this order, that makes 9 Q400s sold thus far in 2018. Not a bad start.


PD's current fleet of Q400 is getting quite old.
Instead of expanding fleet, they need to order some new metals to replace current one or at least refurbish them to keep their brand image.

With AC and WS both getting brand new MAX and CSeries aircraft, PD needs to step up their game.

Slightly different topic:

BBD has put its 152-hectare Downsview Airport location up for sale a couple of weeks ago as part of its financial turnaround plan.

I think it's a damm good idea both for BBD and the city. If they close down the entire airport and replace with mixed high rise condo plus green space.
It will put downward pressure on Local housing cost, add some much needed green space for the residences, help bombardier earn some $$$ and reduce production cost at the same time.
There are plenty of options to relocate: Waterloo, Hamilton, Pearson, Oshawa.
Win Win for everyone..

Link:
http://business.financialpost.com/g00/p ... &i10c.ua=1
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2894
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Biman approves purchase of three Q400 from Bombardier

Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:10 pm

AirbusCanada wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

I can see potentially AC, WS and PD all placing top-up orders. WS could easily handle absorbing another 20 Qs in their fleet within the next five years. If PD ever wants to grow again, they'll need more Qs too at some point.

Well with this order, that makes 9 Q400s sold thus far in 2018. Not a bad start.


PD's current fleet of Q400 is getting quite old.
Instead of expanding fleet, they need to order some new metals to replace current one or at least refurbish them to keep their brand image.

With AC and WS both getting brand new MAX and CSeries aircraft, PD needs to step up their game.

Slightly different topic:

BBD has put its 152-hectare Downsview Airport location up for sale a couple of weeks ago as part of its financial turnaround plan.

I think it's a damm good idea both for BBD and the city. If they close down the entire airport and replace with mixed high rise condo plus green space.
It will put downward pressure on Local housing cost, add some much needed green space for the residences, help bombardier earn some $$$ and reduce production cost at the same time.
There are plenty of options to relocate: Waterloo, Hamilton, Pearson, Oshawa.
Win Win for everyone..

Link:
http://business.financialpost.com/g00/p ... &i10c.ua=1


Dash 8s are built like tanks, so the oldest DH4s/Q400s around are still young by Dash 8 standards. Check out the age of some of AC's DH1s/DH3s for comparison. Do some of PD's early Qs need a cabin refresh? Perhaps.

As for Donwsview, I thought the plan was to sell off everything at the airfield that BBD doesn't need, essentially keeping their buildings and the runway?
 
Skywatcher
Posts: 913
Joined: Sat Sep 14, 2002 11:19 am

Re: Biman approves purchase of three Q400 from Bombardier

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:37 pm

I don't know why BBD doesn't move the Q-400 production to the old CRJ facility at Trudeau (YUL). It's a huge building and looks more or less dead every time I take off on the runway beside it.
 
AirNovaBAe146
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:36 pm

Re: Biman approves purchase of three Q400 from Bombardier

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:55 pm

In late January, WS obtained two former Island Air Q400s that became available from a leasing company. Both are about a year old and will only require minor reconfiguration and some teal paint before entering service, probably by the spring. By the end of 2018 WS Encore will have 47 Q400s.

Any news on prospective customers for the former Colgan/ United Express Qs that have been sitting at YYZ for the last few years?
 
wrongwayup
Posts: 442
Joined: Thu Jan 07, 2016 6:23 pm

Re: Biman approves purchase of three Q400 from Bombardier

Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:03 pm

Skywatcher wrote:
I don't know why BBD doesn't move the Q-400 production to the old CRJ facility at Trudeau (YUL). It's a huge building and looks more or less dead every time I take off on the runway beside it.


They build Challengers there now. Not quite at the same clip as CRJs back in the heyday, but still more than Q400 today.
 
1900Driver
Posts: 137
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:17 pm

Re: Biman approves purchase of three Q400 from Bombardier

Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:48 pm

wrongwayup wrote:
Skywatcher wrote:
I don't know why BBD doesn't move the Q-400 production to the old CRJ facility at Trudeau (YUL). It's a huge building and looks more or less dead every time I take off on the runway beside it.


They build Challengers there now. Not quite at the same clip as CRJs back in the heyday, but still more than Q400 today.


Looks like BBD wants to sell the downsview site. Great real estates & can generate close to a billion desperately needed dollars. Should that be the case, then we could see the q400 line move to ymx.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/bombard ... -1.3757569
 
QXAS
Posts: 366
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2015 5:26 am

Re: Biman approves purchase of three Q400 from Bombardier

Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:24 am

Dominion301 wrote:
AirbusCanada wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:

I can see potentially AC, WS and PD all placing top-up orders. WS could easily handle absorbing another 20 Qs in their fleet within the next five years. If PD ever wants to grow again, they'll need more Qs too at some point.

Well with this order, that makes 9 Q400s sold thus far in 2018. Not a bad start.


PD's current fleet of Q400 is getting quite old.
Instead of expanding fleet, they need to order some new metals to replace current one or at least refurbish them to keep their brand image.

With AC and WS both getting brand new MAX and CSeries aircraft, PD needs to step up their game.

Slightly different topic:

BBD has put its 152-hectare Downsview Airport location up for sale a couple of weeks ago as part of its financial turnaround plan.

I think it's a damm good idea both for BBD and the city. If they close down the entire airport and replace with mixed high rise condo plus green space.
It will put downward pressure on Local housing cost, add some much needed green space for the residences, help bombardier earn some $$$ and reduce production cost at the same time.
There are plenty of options to relocate: Waterloo, Hamilton, Pearson, Oshawa.
Win Win for everyone..

Link:
http://business.financialpost.com/g00/p ... &i10c.ua=1


Dash 8s are built like tanks, so the oldest DH4s/Q400s around are still young by Dash 8 standards. Check out the age of some of AC's DH1s/DH3s for comparison. Do some of PD's early Qs need a cabin refresh? Perhaps.

As for Donwsview, I thought the plan was to sell off everything at the airfield that BBD doesn't need, essentially keeping their buildings and the runway?

There’s also the fact that there’s no current suitable replacement for the DH1. Airlines either need to keep what they have flying, or upguage to DH3/CR2, both of which are quickly aging as well.
In NA the ATR carries a negative stigma especially in cooler climates. So one could also say that there isn’t a “customer approved” DH3 replacement currently being produced. PT is upguaging. AC is keeping the DH1/DH3 flying. How many cycles is a DH1 certified to handle? And, how close are the AC frames getting to that number?
I am NOT an employee of any airline or manufacturer. I speak for myself, not on the behalf of any company.
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2894
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Biman approves purchase of three Q400 from Bombardier

Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:14 am

QXAS wrote:
Dominion301 wrote:
AirbusCanada wrote:

PD's current fleet of Q400 is getting quite old.
Instead of expanding fleet, they need to order some new metals to replace current one or at least refurbish them to keep their brand image.

With AC and WS both getting brand new MAX and CSeries aircraft, PD needs to step up their game.

Slightly different topic:

BBD has put its 152-hectare Downsview Airport location up for sale a couple of weeks ago as part of its financial turnaround plan.

I think it's a damm good idea both for BBD and the city. If they close down the entire airport and replace with mixed high rise condo plus green space.
It will put downward pressure on Local housing cost, add some much needed green space for the residences, help bombardier earn some $$$ and reduce production cost at the same time.
There are plenty of options to relocate: Waterloo, Hamilton, Pearson, Oshawa.
Win Win for everyone..

Link:
http://business.financialpost.com/g00/p ... &i10c.ua=1


Dash 8s are built like tanks, so the oldest DH4s/Q400s around are still young by Dash 8 standards. Check out the age of some of AC's DH1s/DH3s for comparison. Do some of PD's early Qs need a cabin refresh? Perhaps.

As for Donwsview, I thought the plan was to sell off everything at the airfield that BBD doesn't need, essentially keeping their buildings and the runway?

There’s also the fact that there’s no current suitable replacement for the DH1. Airlines either need to keep what they have flying, or upguage to DH3/CR2, both of which are quickly aging as well. That it upguage to larger modern RJs.
PT is upguaging. AC is keeping the DH1/DH3 flying for now. How many cycles is a DH1 certified to handle? And, how close are the AC frames getting to that number?


Well I know the DH1s will not be around AC as long as the DH3s, even though some DH3s are older than some DH1s. Jazz is working with Bombardier for the DH3 life extension program that should add a good 20 additional years worth of cycles to these birds if AC want to keep them that long.
 
leghorn
Posts: 1297
Joined: Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:13 am

Re: Biman approves purchase of three Q400 from Bombardier

Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:03 pm

http://www.lesaffaires.com/secteurs-d-a ... 0804400000

Q400 isn't dead yet.
Head of Bombardier says they now have some resources free with which to improve it and the CRJ jets.
 
Dominion301
Posts: 2894
Joined: Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:48 pm

Re: Biman approves purchase of three Q400 from Bombardier

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:51 am

leghorn wrote:
http://www.lesaffaires.com/secteurs-d-activite/aeronautique-et-aerospatiale/bombardier-veut-reinvestir-dans-ses-crj-et-q400/600588?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=le-bilan_15-fevrier-2018&oft_id=23150168&oft_k=77Y7IOhO&oft_lk=FWPyuo&oft_d=636543100804400000

Q400 isn't dead yet.
Head of Bombardier says they now have some resources free with which to improve it and the CRJ jets.


Excellent. BBD need a good sized (say +20 frames) to keep the CRJ line alive.
 
baje427
Posts: 832
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:42 am

Re: Biman approves purchase of three Q400 from Bombardier

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:16 pm

leghorn wrote:
http://www.lesaffaires.com/secteurs-d-activite/aeronautique-et-aerospatiale/bombardier-veut-reinvestir-dans-ses-crj-et-q400/600588?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=le-bilan_15-fevrier-2018&oft_id=23150168&oft_k=77Y7IOhO&oft_lk=FWPyuo&oft_d=636543100804400000

Q400 isn't dead yet.
Head of Bombardier says they now have some resources free with which to improve it and the CRJ jets.


i wonder what improvements can be made to the Q400 perhaps they will equip them with another cabin refresh (maybe adding the Cseries styled IFE as an option) and some some reliability improvements.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos