Slash787

Re: Origin of Airline Names

Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:34 am

Vistara means "Limitless Expanse" in Sanskrit.

WIederling

Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:04 pm

First one ever:
DELAG == Deutsche Luftschiffahrts-Aktiengesellschaft ~= "German Airship Travel Corporation"

Luft Hansa is less linked to the Trade Hansa but leverages the meaning of "Hansa" := group / entourage / crowd
as it was the agglomeration of the existing airlines in Germany:
Junkers Luftfahrtgesellschaft ( biggest at the time with the widest network coverage.)
Deutschen Aero Lloyd
DAL was created via fusion of DLR and a bunch of smaller startups.
Murphy is an optimist

msiebert09

Sun Jan 28, 2018 2:26 pm

Continental Airlines - Named after region / Continental Divide in the Western United States.

TedToToe

Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:32 pm

LoftleidirDC8 wrote:
Actually SABENA stands for Such A Bad Experience, Never Again!
TWA Teeny Weeny Airlines
That's what we called them when I worked for AA.
On a reality based thought: Loftleiðir is a compound of the Icelandic words for Air and Way.

TWA = Try Walking Across!

albertocsc

Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:02 pm

Slash787 wrote:
Etihad means "Together" or "United".

I've always found interesting that you can unite the names Etihad, Air Arabia and Emirates and you get the name of the country where they are from :D

BREECH

Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:40 pm

Kilopond wrote:
BREECH wrote:
[...]Oh, well, I don't know the names of birds even in my native language, so that's some consolation. :-)[...]

:D Haha, there is a reason we are at a discussion board. So please allow me to enlighten you this time. Here is a pic of a [en]heron/[it]airone quite similar to the AirOne stylised tail logo, just the spout doesn't point upwards.

That should be the Alitalia-Etihad alliance logo. And the slogan: Hey, I'm trying!
No friendship, love or respect unite people as much as shared hatred.
Sergey Dovlatov

BREECH

Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:41 pm

Cunard wrote:
BREECH wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
Emirates does have a suffix, it’s Emirates Airline. Airline in the singular, with no S.

It's not mentioned anywhere on their website or in any other public place. I've never seen the name Emirates Airline.

The Emirates Group website lists their subsidiaries and list amongst others

Dnata
Emirates Airline

It's also listed on their Wikipedia page as Emirates Airline.

Not quite. On Wikipedia it says Emirates (Airline) because just Emirates redirects to the United Arab Emirates.
No friendship, love or respect unite people as much as shared hatred.
Sergey Dovlatov

deltacto

Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:32 pm

TedToToe wrote:
TWA = Try Walking Across!

better yet

FATFlyer

Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:25 pm

Allegiant is a bit of an easter egg choice.

Originally the company was going operate as WestJet Express. But there was name conflict with both Westjet Air Center, the FBO at RAP along with WestJet in Canada (which was starting up at the same time). So the name Allegiant was chosen.

The easter egg? G4 was founded by Mitch Allee (2 "e"'s instead of 1 like the company name). The company name choice allowed for a recognition nod to the founder.

Mitch Allee owns software company CMS Solutions which provided airline company software.
"Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness." - Mark Twain

tommyarias

Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:59 pm

Copa Airlines started as COPA back in 1944, which stands for Compañía Panameña de Aviación.

"Insert Generic Signature or Quote" - Generic Name

AirIndia

Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:54 am

BREECH wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:
Emirates does have a suffix, it’s Emirates Airline. Airline in the singular, with no S.

It's not mentioned anywhere on their website or in any other public place. I've never seen the name Emirates Airline.

Phosphorus

Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:50 am

Kilopond wrote:
Alrosa = "diamonds of Russia", abbreviated from the first syllables of "almazy Rossii" with an attached "a". Thats's also the name of the airline's holding conglomerate, a diamond mining company. Watch the diamond at the tail.

Incorrect.
Rather, incomplete.
AlRoSA is not just "diamonds of Russia"
It's "ALmazy ROssii-SAha", i.e. "diamonds of Russia-Yakutia", with Saha meaning Yakutia in Yakut language.
So "a" is not random "attached "a".

FlyCaledonian wrote:
British Airways was formed from BOAC (British Overseas Airline Corporation), BEA (British European Airways), Cambrian Airways and Northeast Airways.

BOAC was also said to stand for Better On A Camel!

a.k.a. "Boeing Only Airline Company"
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam

JCTJennings

Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:31 am

BREECH wrote:
A question to add to the topic. Why some are Airlines and some are Airways. I suppose British Airways was named after British Railways to keep the commonality. But still, we have Pakistan Airlines but Qatar Airways, Singapore Airlines but Thai Airways. Etihad is also "Airways" while Emirates doesn't have any "suffix". And then we have a whole bunch of "Air" in both preceding and following positions - Air France, Air India, but Gulf Air. And the mystery of them all - Delta Air Lines. Why the split?

The idea that British Airways would want to be in any way associated with British Railways (by that time shortened to British Rail anyway) is hilarious. In fact BOAC was formed from a merger of state owned Imperial Airways and privately owned British Airways just before WW2. European routes were hived off after the war to the newly formed British European Airways Corporation (always known as BEA) and the South American routes went to British South American Airways Corporation. After a couple of disastrous crashes BSAA was folded back into BOAC. All of these were state owned corporations. When the government decided to merge BOAC and BEA, they used the dormant British Airways name which was still owned by BOAC. The long haul airline's crews used to refer to BEA as Back Every Afternoon.

sturmovik

Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:10 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
eidvm wrote:
Irish national airline Aer Lingus comes from the anglisation of Aer Loingeas, Loingeas being the Irish word for fleet (a "Long" is a ship or large boat :old: ), so basically Aer Lingus shares it's name with Aeroflot/ Air Fleet.

That's quite interesting. I had always assumed it was the creation of Mr Lingus, although personally I always preferred his wife, Constance.

Haven't posted in years, but have to jump in and say.. that was underrated af! :D
'What's it doing now?'

Yflyer

Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:12 pm

StrandedAtMKG wrote:
Funny, but DELTA is actually an acronym for Doesn't Ever Leave The Airport. :duck:

And I'd always thought it stood for "Damn, Everything Leads To Atlanta."

thgsr08

Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:16 pm

VARIG - Viações Áereas Rio Grandense (or Rio Grande do Sul - a brazilian State - Airlines)
TAM - Transporte Áereo Marília (Marilia is a city located 400km from Sao Paulo. - where the founder was born.)
Azul - David Neeleman's favorite colour - Blue.
GOL - it was an open contest by phone or internet and people could vote for the name of the brand new airline back in 2001. Gol means "goal". - if im not mistaken.
LATAM - Latin American airlines or simply the union between LAN + TAM.
:checkeredflag:

bzcat

Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:26 pm

My favorite defunct airline name of all time is U-Land Airlines. It was a LCC based in Taiwan with an implied optimistic view of the aviation skills of its passengers... :) The short Wikipedia article does not do justice the short but color history of this airline. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U-Land_Airlines

The English name "U-Land" was a trans-iteration of the parent company's Mandarin name "Ruìlián". Safe to say, it didn't go thru any sort of focus group or proper vetting by someone with reasonable proficiency in the English language.

Another Taiwanese airline with nonsensical name is EVA... The airline was incorporated by the Evergreen Group, at one point the largest container shipping company in the world. But there was an US-based cargo airline call Evergreen International Airline (now also defunct) so Evergreen Group initially named its airline Evergreen Airways to differentiate from the US company. But Evergreen International didn't like it and contested Evergreen Airways' ICAO and US trademark applications so Evergreen Group decided to shorten the English name of its airline to Eva Airways, which later became EVA Airways. But despite its use of all caps in the title (always EVA Airways, never Eva Airways), is not an initial or abbreviation - the name is pronounced Eva, not E. V. A. and it doesn't stand for anything.

AtomicGarden

Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:22 am

leleko747 wrote:

[b]Gol

Just a cheesy name. Gol is Portuguese for "goal", like when you score when playing football.

Also, in Portuguese it is pronounced "go" as the English word. Kinda clever when you think about it.
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

afriwing

Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:47 am

Any idea why Easyjet refer to themselves as easyJet? (small e and a capital J)

LH707330

Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:49 am

Phosphorus wrote:

FlyCaledonian wrote:
British Airways was formed from BOAC (British Overseas Airline Corporation), BEA (British European Airways), Cambrian Airways and Northeast Airways.

BOAC was also said to stand for Better On A Camel!

I've also heard that Qantas pilots referred to them as Boy's Own Aero Club.

red66mustang

Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:02 am

jplatts wrote:
Southwest Airlines is named after the Southwestern United States, the region where the airline was founded and the region where its DAL home base and HOU and PHX focus cities are located. In addition, Southwest now serves additional destinations in the Southwestern U.S. along with destinations in the West Coast, Mountain West, Midwest, Northeast, and Southeast regions of the U.S., and in addition to that, Southwest also now serves international destinations in Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean.

Alaska Airlines is named after the state of Alaska, the state where its original operations were located in. Even though Alaska Airlines has expanded beyond the state of Alaska, Alaska Airlines still has an Alaskan hub at ANC and Alaska Airlines does still operate intrastate routes within the state of Alaska.

The current Frontier Airlines, which is now an ULCC, took its name from a defunct legacy carrier that discontinued operations in 1986, and the original Frontier Airlines, which operated between 1950 and 1986, took its name from its location in the Frontier of the United States.

Virgin America was named after Virgin Group, the owner of the Virgin brand, and Virgin America was partially owned by Virgin Group prior to its acquisition by Alaska Airlines.

Are you a bot forming sentences from information found on Wikipedia and Google?

jplatts

Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:42 am

red66mustang wrote:
jplatts wrote:
Southwest Airlines is named after the Southwestern United States, the region where the airline was founded and the region where its DAL home base and HOU and PHX focus cities are located. In addition, Southwest now serves additional destinations in the Southwestern U.S. along with destinations in the West Coast, Mountain West, Midwest, Northeast, and Southeast regions of the U.S., and in addition to that, Southwest also now serves international destinations in Mexico, Central America, and the Caribbean.

Alaska Airlines is named after the state of Alaska, the state where its original operations were located in. Even though Alaska Airlines has expanded beyond the state of Alaska, Alaska Airlines still has an Alaskan hub at ANC and Alaska Airlines does still operate intrastate routes within the state of Alaska.

The current Frontier Airlines, which is now an ULCC, took its name from a defunct legacy carrier that discontinued operations in 1986, and the original Frontier Airlines, which operated between 1950 and 1986, took its name from its location in the Frontier of the United States.

Virgin America was named after Virgin Group, the owner of the Virgin brand, and Virgin America was partially owned by Virgin Group prior to its acquisition by Alaska Airlines.

Are you a bot forming sentences from information found on Wikipedia and Google?

I do look up information about WN, AA, DL, and UA from multiple sources, not just on Wikipedia or Google, but on southwest.com, swamedia.com, southwestaircommunity.com, aa.com, delta.com, and united.com.

I am familiar with Southwest Airlines since I live in the DFW Metroplex, where Southwest Airlines's home base is located, and I have actually been on DAL-HOU and DAL-PHX nonstop flights on WN.

I have flown on Virgin America to LAX from DFW over 5 years ago, but I will probably fly to LAX from Dallas on WN, AA, or DL the next time I fly to LAX from Dallas.

I have flown between DFW and CVG on Frontier Airlines several times during the last three years.

I have never flown on Alaska Airlines, but I have flown to SEA from DFW on AA and DL before. Alaska Airlines's history can be found at https://www.alaskaair.com/content/about-us/history.

dennypayne

Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:54 am

Yflyer wrote:
StrandedAtMKG wrote:
Funny, but DELTA is actually an acronym for Doesn't Ever Leave The Airport. :duck:

And I'd always thought it stood for "Damn, Everything Leads To Atlanta."

The one I heard most was "Don't Expect Luggage To Arrive."
A300/310/319/320/321/332/333/343/380 AN24/28/38/148 AT7 B190
B717/722/732/3/4/5/7/8/9 742/744/752/753/762/763/764/772/773/788/789
CR2/7/9 D8S D93/4/5 DHC2/3/7/8 D28/38 EMB/EM2/ER3/D/4/E70/75/90
F50/100 J31 L10 L410 M11/80/90 RJ85 SF3 SU9 T134/154 Y42

ro1960

Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:04 am

Phosphorus wrote:

BOAC operated Britannias and VC-10s as well so this one doesn't really make sense.
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports

Phosphorus

Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:20 am

ro1960 wrote:
Phosphorus wrote:

BOAC operated Britannias and VC-10s as well so this one doesn't really make sense.

Reputation.
BOAC was known to crave 707's and other Boeing products, and played political games to get out of purchasing British. While they did, eventually, buy some British airplanes, it took Cabinet and Parliamentary intervention to get deals rolling. Also, at BOAC's behest, multiple tweaks were made to designs of those planes (especially VC-10, AFAIR, was affected by this relentless tweaking), to the point of them being overoptimized for certain missions, and thus killing their export appeal.
AN4 A40 L4T TU3 TU5 IL6 ILW I93 F50 F70 100 146 ARJ AT7 DH4 L10 CRJ ERJ E90 E95 DC-9 MD-8X YK4 YK2 SF3 S20 319 320 321 332 333 343 346 722 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 744 74M 757 767 777
Ceterum autem censeo, Moscovia esse delendam

Jomar777

Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:26 am

ClipperYankee wrote:
LAN was originally Lan Chile, for Lineas Aereas Nacionales Chile, before morphing with TAM into LATAM.

100% Correct. May I add also that TAM was know as Taxi Aereo Marilia (Marilia - a city in Sao Paulo - Air Taxi (private jets for hire...). Then, with the expansion, it became Transportes Aereos Meridionais (Meridional Air Transport) which was still TAM before renaming it to simply TAM.

Upon the merger, LATAM was chosen because this acronym also stands for Latin America (just like EMEA is for Europe ME and Africa). A poor choice in a way since LATAM is very close to LATAO in Portuguese, which means pejoratively "Big Junk" or "Sucata".

Another one on this is the fact that the (extremely...) Old Brazilian Presidential Aircraft, a B707, was nicknamed "SUCATAO" (very big piece of Junk) by the Brazilians until it got replaced by the actual A319ACJ.

LupineChemist

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:22 am

One of the ones I like in Spain is Air Nostrum (based in Valencia on the Mediterranean coast). It's a play on the Latin 'mare nostrum' literally meaning "our sea" referring to the Mediterranean.

VC10er

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:52 am

I’m SHOCKED nobody has brought up “Song”. I can tell you how that name came to be as I was there for the project but didn’t participate. Like they say about making law: it’s was like watching sausage being made, it wasn’t fun to watch.
Then United caved in and launched Ted, which from a strategic branding standpoint was BRILLIANT. It effectively connected the LLC to its master brand while standing apart. As it was a dudes name, United was able to give the brand persona...some real persona and tone of voice. Pentagram did the work and as they often do: did a great job. When it comes to names, it actually doesn’t matter much if consumers like it or not, it’s an empty vessel until the brand is given meaning. If the best airline in the world was named Dingus - it would not matter...it would come to mean “best airline in the world” and people would stop thinking about the name itself over what it stands for. Eg: Coke-a-Cola in total abstract would be puked on, but instead it’s filled with meaning today (both positive and negative) who’s image is carefully managed every day in Atlanta. Nobody even thinks about it anymore.
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

Kashmon

Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:10 am

Channex757 wrote:
Cathay is an Anglicised version of a traditional name for pre-Revolution China. Goes back a long way. From that we get Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd, shortened to Cathay Pacific where used.

most people do not even use the Pacific
just
Cathay
also Cathay was originally based in Shanghai

FW200

Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:04 pm

LoftleidirDC8 wrote:
Actually SABENA stands for Such A Bad Experience, Never Again!

Freshside3 wrote:
SpaceshipDC10 wrote:
The now defunct (I believe) SAHSA got its name from Stay At Home, Stay Alive. ;) Nah, not true, but somehow fun.

Just like ALITALIA......Airplane Lands In Turin, All Luggage In Athens....:)

And I always thought, ALITALIA stood for Always late in takeoff, always late in arrival. :duck:

For THY there have been some badmouthers calling it They hate you!

dennypayne

Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:11 pm

VC10er wrote:
I’m SHOCKED nobody has brought up “Song”. I can tell you how that name came to be as I was there for the project but didn’t participate. Like they say about making law: it’s was like watching sausage being made, it wasn’t fun to watch.

Go on.... inquiring minds want to know... :D
A300/310/319/320/321/332/333/343/380 AN24/28/38/148 AT7 B190
B717/722/732/3/4/5/7/8/9 742/744/752/753/762/763/764/772/773/788/789
CR2/7/9 D8S D93/4/5 DHC2/3/7/8 D28/38 EMB/EM2/ER3/D/4/E70/75/90
F50/100 J31 L10 L410 M11/80/90 RJ85 SF3 SU9 T134/154 Y42

JulietteBravo

Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:10 pm

SWISS means

So What... It‘s Still Swissair

;)

gzm

Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:13 pm

You forgot Olympic (Onassis Likes Your Money Paid In Cash).
Do you think we can make one for Aegean?

VC10er

Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:48 pm

dennypayne wrote:
VC10er wrote:

Go on.... inquiring minds want to know... :D

Dear friends who worked on that project might be on a.net and I don’t want to insult them. But the name (while I didn’t really like it, met the brief of irreverent, upbeat, fun- but it was arbitrary) it was more around how that livery came to life that drove me nuts. I think there could have been a more holistic idea and solution vs “whatever!” I did think the idea behind Ted and tying it back to United was better for the consumer/flier as they understood it was the LLC from United. Song with a Delta logo tucked under only confused people. Either way, I’m happy that trend is OVER!
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

NameOmitted

Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:56 pm

FlyCaledonian wrote:
Another defunct UK Charter airline, Britannia Airways, started life in 1961 as Euravia but in 1964 rebranded as Britannia after acquiring Bristol Britannia aircraft. It became Thomsonfly in 2005; Thomson Airways in 2008 (after merging with First Choice); and in 2017 it became TUI Airways as TUI finally killed off the Thomson brand in the UK.
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f9/f8/7f/f9f87ff4e002daaef454f95a8e89018f.jpg

So... I'm pretty sure Britannia is not supposed to be in a wheel-chair here, but that's all I see. What should I be seeing?

VX321

Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:58 pm

NameOmitted wrote:
FlyCaledonian wrote:
Another defunct UK Charter airline, Britannia Airways, started life in 1961 as Euravia but in 1964 rebranded as Britannia after acquiring Bristol Britannia aircraft. It became Thomsonfly in 2005; Thomson Airways in 2008 (after merging with First Choice); and in 2017 it became TUI Airways as TUI finally killed off the Thomson brand in the UK.

So... I'm pretty sure Britannia is not supposed to be in a wheel-chair here, but that's all I see. What should I be seeing?

It’s a chariot.

PennPal

Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:15 pm

Does anyone know the origin of the name Air Atlanta Icelandic??

XAM2175

Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:53 pm

VX321 wrote:
NameOmitted wrote:

It’s a chariot.

I've always understood it to be a depiction of Britannia seated, with a shield depicting the Union Flag:

av757

Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:22 pm

AVIANCA the original acronym was,
Aerovias Nacionales de Colombia

And after the Avianca-Taca joint venture was later modified to,
Aerovias del Continente Americano

AV757

sunking737

Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:23 pm

Sun Country Airlines chose their name because they started flying from Minnesota to warm weather destinations like Florida, Las Vegas, Mexico, and the Carribean. 35 years airborne and still going strong
"Don't believe it unless its parked on the ramp, or printed in the schedule...SUBJECT TO CHANGE"

I'm a SUNDUCK......Worked for RC & SY @ MSP

Freshside3

Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:34 pm

VC10er wrote:
Then United caved in and launched Ted, which from a strategic branding standpoint was BRILLIANT. It effectively connected the LLC to its master brand while standing apart. As it was a dudes name, United was able to give the brand persona...some real persona and tone of voice. Pentagram did the work and as they often do: did a great job. When it comes to names, it actually doesn’t matter much if consumers like it or not, it’s an empty vessel until the brand is given meaning. If the best airline in the world was named Dingus - it would not matter...it would come to mean “best airline in the world” and people would stop thinking about the name itself over what it stands for. Eg: Coke-a-Cola in total abstract would be puked on, but instead it’s filled with meaning today (both positive and negative) who’s image is carefully managed every day in Atlanta. Nobody even thinks about it anymore.

Now, was Delta's "Song" first? Or was Air Canada's "Tango"? Anyone know who copied who??

Freshside3

Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:39 pm

Kilopond wrote:
BREECH wrote:
[...] The company's name is ALmazy ROssii-SAkha. [...] The initial idea was to abbreviate it as ARS, but it was dropped almost immediately because of the obvious English homonym.

That's interesting and perfectly makes sense, thank you for enlightening me.

Some time ago, there had been an Italian airline with a word play as it's name: AirOne. The meaning in English is obvious. Bu If pronounced in Italian it means "heron". That bird had been their tail logo as well as their callsign.

There used to be a carrier called Air One, in the USA....if I recall correctly, they used to have STL-ATL service........

stl07

Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:09 am

Freshside3 wrote:
Kilopond wrote:
BREECH wrote:
[...] The company's name is ALmazy ROssii-SAkha. [...] The initial idea was to abbreviate it as ARS, but it was dropped almost immediately because of the obvious English homonym.

That's interesting and perfectly makes sense, thank you for enlightening me.

Some time ago, there had been an Italian airline with a word play as it's name: AirOne. The meaning in English is obvious. Bu If pronounced in Italian it means "heron". That bird had been their tail logo as well as their callsign.

There used to be a carrier called Air One, in the USA....if I recall correctly, they used to have STL-ATL service........

Interestingly, Air Choice One today announced STL-Jackson-ATL flights.
Interesting how every thread is spammed with "bring back paid membership, there are too many spammers"

AtomicGarden

Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:35 am

VX321 wrote:
NameOmitted wrote:
FlyCaledonian wrote:

It’s a chariot.

I see a seated lady with a shield at her side. And Boeing's 90s livery.
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

DWC

Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:57 am

StrandedAtMKG wrote:
LH707330 wrote:
Delta: delayed every late time always :duck:

Speaking of highjacks, here are some I have heard over the course of the years :duck:

AEROPERU : "Aeropeor" ( "Airworse" )
PIA ( Pakistan International ) : "Please Inform Allah" ( during the Pakistani-Indian wars )
AI ( Air India ) : "Allah Informed"
EL AL : "Every Landing Always Late"
EMIRATES : "Every Member Is Readily Available to Exercice Sex"
LUFTHANSA : "Let Us ... The Hostesses And Noone Says Anything"
SABENA : "Such a Bad Experience, Never Again"

DWC

Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:31 am

Channex757 wrote:
Cathay is an Anglicised version of a traditional name for pre-Revolution China. Goes back a long way. From that we get Cathay Pacific Airways Ltd, shortened to Cathay Pacific where used.

What ?! "traditional name for pre-Revolution China" ?? That is utterly incorrect ;)

Cathay comes from the Khitans about a millenium ago, a extinct non-chinese nomadic people from present day Mandchuria ( so very unchinese that even the Great Wall just North of Beijing designed & built at infinite human costs to fend off the very northern "barbarians" is actually & thoroughly south of all of Mandchuria ! ). Because the Russians in Siberia ( and Marco Polo ! ) were in contact with them, the russian word for China is KITAI, but is totally unrelated to China, which comes from the Qin ( pronounced "Tchin" ) dynasty, the first ever in China.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathay
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qin_dynasty

afcjets wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Lol you can't be serious, can you now enlighten us on how Hawaiian and Aloha got their names?

Frankly, after reading that first comment... lol... I wondered if anyone would take the trouble to lecture us about AeroMexico, Air France, Cubana de Aviación, Egypt Air, Ethiopian, Lloyd Aereo Boliviano, Norwegian, Qatar Airways, SAA, SAS, Singapore Airlines, Thai International...
Last edited by DWC on Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:50 am, edited 2 times in total.

osloflyer

Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:48 am

So I always thought that the “Cathay “ in Cathay Pacific came from a comic strip named “Cathay and the Tiger” I think, that one of the founders liked. Anyone else heard that story?

jplatts

Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:54 am

DWC wrote:
afcjets wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Lol you can't be serious, can you now enlighten us on how Hawaiian and Aloha got their names?

Frankly, after reading that first comment... lol... I wondered if anyone would take the trouble to lecture us about Air France, Boliviana de Aviación, Qatar Airways, Singapore Airlines, Thai International...

Aeromexico, Air Canada, Air China, Air France, Air India, Boliviana de Aviación, British Airways, Emirates, Egyptair, Japan Airlines, Kenya Airways, Korean Air, Qatar Airways, Singapore Airlines, South African Airways, Thai International, Turkish Airlines, and others in the world are all named after the countries that they are based in.

Hawaiian Airlines is named after the state of Hawaii, and all of Hawaiian's flights either originate in or end in the state of Hawaii. Aloha took its name after the Hawaiian language greeting.

SheikhDjibouti

Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:14 am

I'm saying absolutely nothing. :shakehead:
Nothing to see here; move along please.

jplatts

Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:35 am

notdownnlocked wrote:
jplatts wrote:
DWC wrote:
Frankly, after reading that first comment... lol... I wondered if anyone would take the trouble to lecture us about Air France, Boliviana de Aviación, Qatar Airways, Singapore Airlines, Thai International...

Aeromexico, Air Canada, Air China, Air France, Air India, Boliviana de Aviación, British Airways, Emirates, Egyptair, Japan Airlines, Kenya Airways, Korean Air, Qatar Airways, Singapore Airlines, South African Airways, Thai International, Turkish Airlines, and others in the world are all named after the countries that they are based in.

Hawaiian Airlines is named after the state of Hawaii, and all of Hawaiian's flights either originate in or end in the state of Hawaii. Aloha took its name after the Hawaiian language greeting.

Oh Dear God, You have left Air New Zealand off your list. Let us all get our shovels and let's dig very deep to try to find exactly from where Air New Zealand got its name and what country it represents.

I agree, and Air New Zealand was actually named after the country where its operations are based, and Air New Zealand's home base is at AKL.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos