Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FA9295

Re: Southwest Airlines Network Thread 2018

Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:48 am

Does anyone know when the next schedule update is...?

WN732

Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:57 am

FA9295 wrote:

August 16th.

wnflyguy

Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:01 am

FA9295 wrote:

August 16 2018
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

TucsonDave

Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:27 am

jplatts wrote:
Why did WN keep ATL-RIC nonstop service after the WN-FL merger but drop FL ATL-BUF, ATL-CLT, ATL-MEM, ATL-PWM, ATL-ROC, and ATL-ICT nonstop service?

It seems unusual for WN to not have dropped ATL-RIC nonstop service inherited through the WN-FL merger when many markets similar in size to RIC have lost nonstop service to ATL on WN subsequent to the WN-FL merger, but ATL is currently the only destination that is served nonstop out of RIC on WN. How could WN's ATL-RIC nonstop service survive the service cuts made by WN at ATL and other former FL stations following the WN-FL merger, but other markets similar in size to RIC lose nonstop service to ATL on WN following the WN-FL merger?

We often fly WN to/from RIC. Strong loads into/from ATL. Wish they would offer N/S to FL, SW, and Midwest. The area would support more service.

jplatts

Tue Jul 31, 2018 3:53 pm

Will WN ever start service out of MIA? The MIA/FLL situation is different from the MDW/ORD, DAL/DFW, HOU/IAH, and LGA/JFK situations since WN serves the closer-in commercial airports in Chicago (MDW), Dallas (DAL), Houston (HOU), and New York City (LGA) whereas WN only serves the airports that are further out from Downtown Miami in the Greater Miami market. MIA is also one of the few remaining major leisure destinations in the U.S. that isn't currently served by WN.

If WN does start service out of MIA, I could see WN serving ATL, BWI, MDW, HOU, and BNA nonstop from MIA. WN could also possibly add nonstop service to additional destinations such as CMH, DAL, DEN, IND, MCI, MKE, MSY, MCO, PIT, PVD, STL, and TPA out of MIA if WN starts service out of MIA.

drdisque

Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:26 pm

If WN does start MIA it will be a small or mid-size station with service just to core WN markets that have strong demand to Miami - BWI, MDW, ATL would be the only definites I see. Possibles are PHL, HOU, STL, BOS, or EWR (I know EWR isn't a huge station for WN but NYC-MIA is a huge market, but I don't see them using LGA slots on it, however, if they did they would have something that B6 doesn't in the market). I don't see them chasing snowbird markets like MKE, IND, PIT, or CMH or markets with limited traffic demand to MIA to begin with (MCI, MSY) or fly Intra-state out of MIA.

jplatts

Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:48 pm

drdisque wrote:
If WN does start MIA it will be a small or mid-size station with service just to core WN markets that have strong demand to Miami - BWI, MDW, ATL would be the only definites I see. Possibles are PHL, HOU, STL, BOS, or EWR (I know EWR isn't a huge station for WN but NYC-MIA is a huge market, but I don't see them using LGA slots on it, however, if they did they would have something that B6 doesn't in the market). I don't see them chasing snowbird markets like MKE, IND, PIT, or CMH or markets with limited traffic demand to MIA to begin with (MCI, MSY) or fly Intra-state out of MIA.

I agree with your point that WN would only serve a few core WN markets such as BWI, MDW, and ATL nonstop from MIA initially if WN starts service out of MIA. WN serving MIA nonstop from DAL might also be a possibility if WN starts service out of MIA since WN has its home base at DAL, since WN already has nonstop service out of DAL to all of the other AA hub markets, and since there is a lot of demand to both MIA and FLL from the DFW Metroplex.

Balloonchaser

Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:20 pm

Pre Irma we saw Southwest exploring the idea of a mass Caribbean Expansion.. Have we seen or heard anything further about this? SXM, CUR, BGI, ANU, etc

jplatts

Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:27 pm

There was an article titled "New QC Airport Director wants to bring Southwest Airlines in" which stated that MLI Airport Director Ben Leischner said that WN has contacted him about possibly starting service out of MLI in the future, and that article can be found at https://wqad.com/2018/08/02/ben-leischner-takes-over-as-qc-airport-director/.

AMA, LBB, MAF, and ECP are currently the only WN domestic destinations that are located in markets smaller than MLI. WN also plans on starting service out of OGG, KOA, and LIH, which are all located in markets smaller than that of MLI, but OGG, KOA, and LIH are all located in Hawaii.

In my opinion, while WN has contacted MLI about possibly starting service out of MLI in the future, WN is unlikely to start service out of MLI anytime soon since WN serves very few domestic markets in the contiguous U.S. that are as small as MLI and since there are also domestic markets in the larger than MLI that aren't currently served by WN such as BFL, FAT, TYS, LEX, MSN, SBN, and SYR.

compensateme

Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:47 pm

jplatts wrote:
There was an article titled "New QC Airport Director wants to bring Southwest Airlines in" which stated that MLI Airport Director Ben Leischner said that WN has contacted him about possibly starting service out of MLI in the future, and that article can be found at https://wqad.com/2018/08/02/ben-leischner-takes-over-as-qc-airport-director/.

AMA, LBB, MAF, and ECP are currently the only WN domestic destinations that are located in markets smaller than MLI. WN also plans on starting service out of OGG, KOA, and LIH, which are all located in markets smaller than that of MLI, but OGG, KOA, and LIH are all located in Hawaii.

In my opinion, while WN has contacted MLI about possibly starting service out of MLI in the future, WN is unlikely to start service out of MLI anytime soon since WN serves very few domestic markets in the contiguous U.S. that are as small as MLI and since there are also domestic markets in the larger than MLI that aren't currently served by WN such as BFL, FAT, TYS, LEX, MSN, SBN, and SYR.

I highly doubt WN initiated first contact with MLI; rather, they returned its call. Just a new airport director trying to sell himself IMO.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

wnflyguy

Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:09 pm

Balloonchaser wrote:
Pre Irma we saw Southwest exploring the idea of a mass Caribbean Expansion.. Have we seen or heard anything further about this? SXM, CUR, BGI, ANU, etc

SXM was originally leaked by the airport leaders that WN would start service in April 2018 . PSE and BQN from my understanding both were also being planned for 2018 But all those plans obviously got pushed back.
WN shifted gears and put Hawaii back at priority number 1 .
That's largely because of the damaged infrastructure in the Caribbean.
Then during all this the Virgin America bidding war which was successfully won by AS forced WN to double Down on protecting it's most profitable marketshare in California.

The Caribbean will trickle in slowly over the next few years especially with the Runway reconstruction over next year at FLL.

SXM is pushing hard for completing renovation by January 2019. With the competition still at a withdrawal down service levels I wouldn't be surprised if WN jumped into SXM in early 2019 with a daily FLL and weekend Saturday only BWI flights.

But other than Hawaii only PAE is Scheduled for 2019 officially I believe. PAE window for adding flights is from October 2018 to Any time in 2019 because of the Stupid political FAA 2Nd traffic impact review.

WN is hosting an event in HNL on August 7 hopefully we will get an update or announcement on the flight schedule for Hawaii.

The only other huge ramp up in the Caribbean I could see is if WN were to buy JetBlue.
But that's whole different speculation which just mentioning it will cause a A.Net S##tshow response.

Flyguy
My Wings are clipped just another Retired Airline person. The Ultimate Armchair out of the loop airline industry geek. Aloha Mr Hand!

Balloonchaser

Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:28 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
Balloonchaser wrote:

SXM was originally leaked by the airport leaders that WN would start service in April 2018 . PSE and BQN from my understanding both were also being planned for 2018 But all those plans obviously got pushed back.
WN shifted gears and put Hawaii back at priority number 1 .
That's largely because of the damaged infrastructure in the Caribbean.
Then during all this the Virgin America bidding war which was successfully won by AS forced WN to double Down on protecting it's most profitable marketshare in California.

The Caribbean will trickle in slowly over the next few years especially with the Runway reconstruction over next year at FLL.

SXM is pushing hard for completing renovation by January 2019. With the competition still at a withdrawal down service levels I wouldn't be surprised if WN jumped into SXM in early 2019 with a daily FLL and weekend Saturday only BWI flights.

But other than Hawaii only PAE is Scheduled for 2019 officially I believe. PAE window for adding flights is from October 2018 to Any time in 2019 because of the Stupid political FAA 2Nd traffic impact review.

WN is hosting an event in HNL on August 7 hopefully we will get an update or announcement on the flight schedule for Hawaii.

The only other huge ramp up in the Caribbean I could see is if WN were to buy JetBlue.
But that's whole different speculation which just mentioning it will cause a A.Net S##tshow response.

Flyguy

Totally correct! But with TNCM resuming full service around December, wouldn’t SWA want to join in on the fun? Air Canada and American are bringing their MAX aircraft in and JetBlue is doing Mint Service on the KBOS/KJFK-TNCM routes and Air France has brought back the A343 (With Joon)

If those airlines are able to do that, the interest and loads are coming back. I feel like Southwest is missing their opportunity to secure a good spot in the schedule as I know for a fact that airlines are about to announce new service in the coming month. Southwest has the opportunity to join in before they get the really early or really late spots. I know that people fly SWA and I also think that Southwest will prosper at TNCM aswell as bring in new passengers to the island.

SWADawg

Sun Aug 05, 2018 2:20 pm

jplatts wrote:

This was an FL market that was cut in the first round of route culling during the WN/FL integration. Knowing the MLI market the way I do. I thought at the time that the cutting of service to MLI before WN even flew one flight in there was a big mistake. DSM, which is a similar if not smaller market has been successful, and IMO MLI would have been very successful with just 3 daily flights to STL, MDW, DEN, LAS, or PHX. All markets that have been served very successfully by previous Airlines in the past. I wouldn’t be surprised if WN hasn’t at least had exploratory talks with the QC Airport about future service. With such a high concentration of large focus cities (don’t call them hubs) in the Midwest, MLI is the perfect add geographically to pull in passengers from Eastern Iowa and Western Illinois.
My posts are my opinion only and do not reflect the views of Southwest Airlines

barney captain

Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:25 pm

That's promising news. Do you have any further details about what type of an event it is? Press conference? Time?
Southeast Of Disorder

QANTAS747-438

Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:25 pm

barney captain wrote:

That's promising news. Do you have any further details about what type of an event it is? Press conference? Time?

It's a travel industry event called "A Southwest Talk Story: Serving Hawaii With Heart".
My posts/replies are strictly my opinion and not that of any company, organization, or Southwest Airlines.

jplatts

Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:30 pm

In addition to the WN event titled "A Southwest Talk Story: Serving Hawaii With Heart" that is taking place on Tuesday, WN is also starting the following 4 new nonstop routes on Tuesday: ATL-BNA, CVG-DEN, BDL-STL, and LAX-TPA.

jplatts

Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:58 pm

The date of the next WN schedule extension that was originally scheduled on August 16th has now been pushed out to August 30th. The WN schedule extension on August 30th will extend the WN flight schedule to April 5, 2019.

Does anyone know why the date of the next WN schedule extension has been pushed out to August 30th?
Is WN going to be offering flights to Hawaii for sale on August 30th?
What new WN nonstop routes between domestic destinations in the contiguous U.S. are likely to be announced in the August 30th schedule extension?
What new WN international nonstop routes are likely to be announced in the August 30th schedule extension?

wnflyguy

Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:58 pm

jplatts wrote:
The date of the next WN schedule extension that was originally scheduled on August 16th has now been pushed out to August 30th. The WN schedule extension on August 30th will extend the WN flight schedule to April 5, 2019.

Does anyone know why the date of the next WN schedule extension has been pushed out to August 30th?
What new WN nonstop routes between domestic destinations in the contiguous U.S. are likely to be announced in the August 30th schedule extension?
What new WN international nonstop routes are likely to be announced in the August 30th schedule extension?

Boeing is starting to have serious delays on the MAX delivery schedules.
The Engines are now being estimated 30 to 60 days late for each aircraft in 2019.
This could have something to do with holding the schedule release a few weeks longer.
Maybe they need to retweak the schedule in anticipation of lack of aircraft.

Flyguy

n471wn

Mon Aug 06, 2018 4:31 pm

wnflyguy wrote:
jplatts wrote:

The Engines are now being estimated 30 to 60 days late for each aircraft in 2019.
This could have something to do with holding the schedule release a few weeks longer.

Flyguy

I am puzzled as to WN’s current aircraft utilization. Here we are in busy August and they have 3 700’s sitting on the sidelines. N772SW in VCV waiting to be re-registered and now fully reconditioned N7869A and N7889A at PAE. Other than 9/11 have not seen SWA birds parked like this

wnflyguy

Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:57 pm

n471wn wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Flyguy

I am puzzled as to WN’s current aircraft utilization. Here we are in busy August and they have 3 700’s sitting on the sidelines. N772SW in VCV waiting to be re-registered and now fully reconditioned N7869A and N7889A at PAE. Other than 9/11 have not seen SWA birds parked like this

From my understanding WN had 3 extra aircraft available for the 5 PAE slots and possible 11 extra LGB slots.

PAE September opening got pushed
Off for the FAA extra environmental Traffic impact review.
LGB slots reassignment also got held off because even though JetBlue made it Public there cutting service in LGB. JetBlue has not officially return the unused slots back to the city of Long Beach for redistribution. For now WN only added 5 temporary slots to LGB that can be extended every 180 days out.

Flyguy

joeblow10

Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:14 pm

Bear in mind there is this supposed Hawaii announcement (w/ execs in HNL) tomorrow where we should be finding out more about targeted start dates. Not suggesting anything will actually be on sale, but I could easily see that being a central reason the extension got pushed back...especially if they can start selling Spring Break flights

Also I'm pretty sure WN has made clear initial Hawaii flights will be done on the plain old -800 while the MAX still gets ETOPS certified. Not only that, they drew down a lot of capacity in the last schedule release, which while coinciding with the winter down-season, also allows some flexibility to put HI flights in the system.

barney captain

Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:31 pm

3 a/c is a statistical zero when looking at the total fleet count. I suspect there are probably three times that many aircraft in various phases of D checks, repaint etc at any given time. Those 3 aircraft aren't "parked" (9-11 style), they are there for a reason, and have likely been scheduled that way for some time.
Southeast Of Disorder

n471wn

Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:37 pm

barney captain wrote:

3 a/c is a statistical zero when looking at the total fleet count. I suspect there are probably three times that many aircraft in various phases of D checks, repaint etc at any given time. Those 3 aircraft aren't "parked" (9-11 style), they are there for a reason, and have likely been scheduled that way for some time.

I certainly understand that at any one time a/c are out of service for checks and painting but these three are ready to go and not in the rotation. The explanation noted above on PAE and LGB is in my judgement the correct answer—thanks for all comments!

jaxfss

Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:45 am

I saw a WN 737 with ETOPS on the nose gear door at MCO last week. Not sure if it was a 700 or 800. How many 737's have ETOPS certification.

jaxfss

Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:46 am

I saw a WN 737 with ETOPS on the nose gear door at MCO last week. Not sure if it was a 700 or 800. How many 737's have ETOPS certification.

ADrum23

Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:54 am

jaxfss wrote:

I believe only the 738’s have ETOPS, but someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

N383SW

Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:10 am

ADrum23 wrote:
jaxfss wrote:

I believe only the 738’s have ETOPS, but someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

Yes and the ones that are ETOPS (or soon to be certified) are the 83XX nose numbers.

mwmav8r01

Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:35 am

ADrum23 wrote:
jaxfss wrote:

There were 10 or so ETOPS birds since they were delivered. More being added. And some are MAX even though they wont be in the initial batch doing HI service.

Cubsrule

Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:49 am

jplatts wrote:
In addition to the WN event titled "A Southwest Talk Story: Serving Hawaii With Heart" that is taking place on Tuesday, WN is also starting the following 4 new nonstop routes on Tuesday: ATL-BNA, CVG-DEN, BDL-STL, and LAX-TPA.

I don’t know about the others, but at least in Nashville they are doing a huge media push for BNA-ATL. I walked past the inaugural party setup at C4 tonight and it looked bigger than anything WN has done for new BNA cities in the recent past.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

barney captain

Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:22 am

mwmav8r01 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
jaxfss wrote:

There were 10 or so ETOPS birds since they were delivered. More being added. And some are MAX even though they wont be in the initial batch doing HI service.

28 800's - the first 28 delivered. I would expect all of them to be put to use in that capacity very soon. We do have a few MAX's that were delivered ETOPS, but they will not be in the initial HI launch.
Southeast Of Disorder

Bluegrass60

Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:14 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
jplatts wrote:

I don’t know about the others, but at least in Nashville they are doing a huge media push for BNA-ATL. I walked past the inaugural party setup at C4 tonight and it looked bigger than anything WN has done for new BNA cities in the recent past.

"maybe someone can help me understand why WN is flying BNA-ATL with 5 daily nonstops? They are competing directly with DL 10 daily nonstops. This is a 248 mile distance. I don't see how WN wins this battle with DL. DL will match fares and provides first, comfort and coach classes. Maybe am missing something here?"

tphuang

Tue Aug 07, 2018 12:50 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
jplatts wrote:

"maybe someone can help me understand why WN is flying BNA-ATL with 5 daily nonstops? They are competing directly with DL 10 daily nonstops. This is a 248 mile distance. I don't see how WN wins this battle with DL. DL will match fares and provides first, comfort and coach classes. Maybe am missing something here?"

since it's 248 miles route, people won't care about first or comfort class. This is the kind of routes that WN tradtionally does well on. Now DL is most likely going to dominate here, but WN is strong enough on both end that they could make this work. We will have to wait and see the numbers though.

midway7

Tue Aug 07, 2018 1:08 pm

Any plans for additional service to PDX. I flew into my new home airport Sunday night. Place was crazy busy at 12:30AM. Seems PDX has a lot of redeye departures, as well as a lot of flights that come in at the same hour. Saw a few 800's at the gates, including the one I was on.

I realize it is probably seasonal. Hopefully some new service is in the works.

WN732

Tue Aug 07, 2018 3:50 pm

Does anyone know when the Hawaii event takes place today?

southwest1675

Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:18 pm

midway7 wrote:
Any plans for additional service to PDX. I flew into my new home airport Sunday night. Place was crazy busy at 12:30AM. Seems PDX has a lot of redeye departures, as well as a lot of flights that come in at the same hour. Saw a few 800's at the gates, including the one I was on.

Would love to see BNA-PDX. April would be a good time to start it.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

Lexy

Tue Aug 07, 2018 4:23 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
jplatts wrote:

Gotta do something to compete with the 6 daily 757 trips DL is throwing on ATL-BNA this month. Even if they are the "old" 757's.
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA

jplatts

Tue Aug 07, 2018 6:05 pm

tphuang wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

since it's 248 miles route, people won't care about first or comfort class. This is the kind of routes that WN tradtionally does well on. Now DL is most likely going to dominate here, but WN is strong enough on both end that they could make this work. We will have to wait and see the numbers though.

WN currently serves RSW, GSP, RIC, IAD, and PBI nonstop from ATL but not from BNA, and WN is now able to provide connections to these 5 destinations out of BNA through ATL. WN also will be able to connect passengers to EWR from ATL through BNA once WN resumes BNA-EWR nonstop service resumes in January 2019.

wnflyguy

Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:08 pm

WN732 wrote:
Does anyone know when the Hawaii event takes place today?

I wanna say 2PM Central time.

WN has extended Bookings window for LGB extra flights. Which include 3 LAS, 2 extra SMF (4) and 1 weekend only DEN service now until 12/31/2018.

Flyguy

Bluegrass60

Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:50 pm

jplatts wrote:
tphuang wrote:
Bluegrass60 wrote:

WN currently serves RSW, GSP, RIC, IAD, and PBI nonstop from ATL but not from BNA, and WN is now able to provide connections to these 5 destinations out of BNA through ATL. WN also will be able to connect passengers to EWR from ATL through BNA once WN resumes BNA-EWR nonstop service resumes in January 2019.[/quote

"all due respect, why would anyone from ATL choose to connect at BNA or anywhere else for domestic routes?? They can go nonstop on WN to many destinations....and choose Delta for the rest (which is all of them). Conversely, if you are not a WN A Lister in Nashville, why would you not select Delta with an ATL connection to everywhere?

FA9295

Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:11 pm

southwest1675 wrote:
midway7 wrote:

Would love to see BNA-PDX. April would be a good time to start it.

I'm hoping for BNA-PDX and MKE-PDX.

jplatts

Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:37 pm

Bluegrass60 wrote:
jplatts wrote:
tphuang wrote:

WN currently serves RSW, GSP, RIC, IAD, and PBI nonstop from ATL but not from BNA, and WN is now able to provide connections to these 5 destinations out of BNA through ATL. WN also will be able to connect passengers to EWR from ATL through BNA once WN resumes BNA-EWR nonstop service resumes in January 2019.

"all due respect, why would anyone from ATL choose to connect at BNA or anywhere else for domestic routes?? They can go nonstop on WN to many destinations....and choose Delta for the rest (which is all of them). Conversely, if you are not a WN A Lister in Nashville, why would you not select Delta with an ATL connection to everywhere?

While I agree that most ATL-area passengers would not choose to connect at BNA, there are some ATL-area travelers who would be willing to connect to AMA, CRP, HRL, LBB, and MAF on WN through DAL or HOU. However, DL doesn't serve AMA, CRP, LBB, and MAF, and there is also no nonstop service out of ATL to AMA, CRP, HRL, LBB, and MAF.

There are some destinations in the Western U.S. such as BOI, BUR, EUG, LGB, ONT, and GEG that aren't served nonstop from ATL, but DL can connect passengers to these destinations in the Western U.S. from ATL through its SLC hub.

I also agree that there are some BNA-area travelers who would choose to connect through ATL on DL, but there are also some BNA-area travelers who would consider WN if they can travel to their final destination from BNA on WN either nonstop or with only 1 connection in between BNA and their final destination.

ucdtim17

Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:35 pm

QANTAS747-438 wrote:
barney captain wrote:

It's a travel industry event called "A Southwest Talk Story: Serving Hawaii With Heart".

So is this a nothing? Or happening later?

tphuang

Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:48 pm

What happened to the HI announcement?

FA9295

Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:34 am

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/f ... 927600002/

This article was released today, saying that Southwest will not be serving PSP anytime soon. I swear there's been threads popping up left and right about people wondering if they'll eventually be coming to PSP. And I guess that answer is no (at least for now).

dbo861

Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:12 am

https://www.southwest.com/html/air/news ... awaii.html

Here it is.

While specific routes are not yet available for purchase, our initial intention is to begin Hawaii nonstop service from Oakland (OAK), San Diego (SAN), San Jose (SJC), and Sacramento (SMF).*Subject to required government approvals. From California, you can reach Honolulu, HI (Oahu), Kahului, HI (Maui), Kona, HI (Island of Hawaii), and Lihue, HI (Kauai). We also intend to provide interisland service, so you can fly between the Hawaiian Islands with us, too.

No dates or specific routes. No real surprises with cities either. Interesting that they plan to provide interisland service, going against Hawaiian.

WeatherPilot

Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:19 am

I'm guessing the interisland service is just a way to pick up as many pax as possible before flying to the mainland.

joeblow10

Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:25 am

Heard from somebody that one of the big problems with inter island service is that WN would basically be relegated to operating out of the Mainland terminal at HNL... meaning you’d have to clear USDA and all their requirements even if only flying inter island.

I’d be shocked if interisland is running immediately once they start service

KMCOFlyer

Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:29 am

joeblow10 wrote:
Heard from somebody that one of the big problems with inter island service is that WN would basically be relegated to operating out of the Mainland terminal at HNL... meaning you’d have to clear USDA and all their requirements even if only flying inter island.

Don’t see why this would be such a big deal. If you are carrying any items that aren’t allowed by the USDA, you can always place them in checked luggage which isn’t a problem for WN since bags are free.

joeblow10

Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:31 am

KMCOFlyer wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:

Don’t see why this would be such a big deal. If you are carrying any items that aren’t allowed by the USDA, you can always place them in checked luggage which isn’t a problem for WN since bags are free.

My understanding was this was exactly the problem: your checked bags get inspected by the USDA in the mainland terminal based on how the baggage system works? Could be wrong... but I guess the situation has been somewhat of a headache for them

KMCOFlyer

Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:53 am

joeblow10 wrote:
KMCOFlyer wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:

My understanding was this was exactly the problem: your checked bags get inspected by the USDA in the mainland terminal based on how the baggage system works? Could be wrong... but I guess the situation has been somewhat of a headache for them

No, if you are flying to the mainland you must first take your checked bags to the USDA station where the put a tag on your bag saying it has gone through USDA. If WN operates out of the Overseas Terminal and you are flying inter-island, there is no reason to need to stop at the USDA station. Due to the layout at HNL however, if you go through TSA in the Overseas Terminal, you won’t be able to carry on items not allowed by USDA even if traveling inter-island and those items will need to be checked if flying WN. Other airports such as OGG/LIH/KOA or the inter-island Terminal at HNL, this isn't a problem because there is a second X-Ray machine in each gate area checking for restricted items in carry on bags if a mainland flight is departing from that gate. If a inter-island flight leaves from that gate, the X-Ray machine is simply not used.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos