WN732

Re: Southwest Airlines Network Thread 2018

Fri Dec 21, 2018 9:04 pm

jplatts wrote:
ericm2031 wrote:
LGB also can make up for some of the slots/passengers WN has lost at SNA and may not be getting back anytime soon. 82% load factor isn't bad for a new station, although fares are trash. It's a long term play that plays into their intra-CA strategy and also keeps anyone else from trying to expand there.

Is there any way that the capacity limits at SNA can be increased to allow WN to add more flights out of SNA? While SNA does not have any perimeter restrictions, SNA has slot restrictions, gate limits, and limits on the total number of passengers flying in and out of SNA per year.

If the capacity restrictions are loosened at SNA, WN could bring back SNA-AUS, SNA-MDW, SNA-MCI, and SNA-STL nonstop service, and WN could also add SNA-BWI, SNA-BNA, and SNA-SAT nonstop service.

One way is for Orange County to be less stupid and allow the airport to operate with its full potential. Airplanes are much quieter now than when the noise laws were set in place years ago.

joeblow10

Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:27 am

Internal SWA posting circulating says FAA has approved the ETOPS procedures for WN - all that’s left is an exercise and the validation flights.

Any idea how long the proving runs will take? Looks like if they push it they could be flying by spring break or at least by next summer

Amchi757300

Sat Dec 22, 2018 5:08 am

Apologies if this is not the right place to post.

I am an East Bay (SF) dweller hailing from Orlando, and really enjoying the daily OAK/MCO service that started earlier this year on WN.

Anecdotally, having flown in both directions probably 4x since it was introduced, it was a mixed bag of completely full to getting my own row for poor man's business class. Here's to hoping it sticks around for the long run.

Anyone know how it is performing?

jplatts

Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:00 am

While WN has limited room to add daily nonstop flights to more destinations out of DAL, WN has more than enough room to add Saturday-only nonstop service to places such as GRR and ORF from DAL since WN only currently does around 150 flights a day on the Saturday schedule out of DAL.

Will WN ever add Saturday-only DAL-GRR or DAL-ORF nonstop service?

Jshank83

Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:51 am

jplatts wrote:
While WN has limited room to add daily nonstop flights to more destinations out of DAL, WN has more than enough room to add Saturday-only nonstop service to places such as GRR and ORF from DAL since WN only currently does around 150 flights a day on the Saturday schedule out of DAL.

Will WN ever add Saturday-only DAL-GRR or DAL-ORF nonstop service?

Nope. Never. Not even in the year 2231.

wnflyguy

Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:11 am

joeblow10 wrote:
Internal SWA posting circulating says FAA has approved the ETOPS procedures for WN - all that’s left is an exercise and the validation flights.

Any idea how long the proving runs will take? Looks like if they push it they could be flying by spring break or at least by next summer

Rumor has it that the Government shutdown has
Bang WN ETOPS tabletop and planned validation flights to a complete Halt.
Sounds like the high hopes for a February start date is now going to be April at best.

Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

PlanesNTrains

Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:58 am

wnflyguy wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:

Sounds like the high hopes for a February start date is now going to be April at best.

Flyguy

Wait - they were going to launch flights in 45 days? That seems extremely unlikely.

Not sure what “bang” and “tabletop” were meant to say.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

Silver1SWA

Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:59 am

wnflyguy wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:

Flyguy

With the way things have gone so far nothing would surprise me but that same internal posting referenced above mentioned both the ETOPS news and the government shutdown but never connected the two and never implied there would be a negative impact.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

PlanesNTrains

Sat Dec 29, 2018 6:02 am

Silver1SWA wrote:
wnflyguy wrote:
joeblow10 wrote:

Flyguy

With the way things have gone so far nothing would surprise me but that same internal posting referenced above mention both the ETOPS news and the government shutdown but never connected the two and never implied there would be a negative impact.

I’m at the point where with a particular poster any statement beginning with “Rumor has it....” I am just going to ignore.
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

jplatts

Sat Dec 29, 2018 9:00 pm

WN is likely to start service out of another airport in the DFW Metroplex in addition to DAL in January 2025, and this will not be the first time that WN has started service out of a new station in January as WN had started service out of DEN, FLL, JAX, LAS, MSY, PHX, SAN, TPA, and PBI in January.

L410Turbolet

Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:44 pm

Anyone knows why Southwest decided to block access to its website from (certain?) non-US IP addresses? I have sent a question regarding this to their customer service and got a standard copy/paste reply that "they are working on it" with their provider. This has been 2+ months ago.
Up until very recently Allegiant had the same problem or more likely policy for many years.
My question is: has the volume of reservations from foreign visitors to the US been so negligible, that WN can afford to simply cut off/ignore this source of revenue?

joeblow10

Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:46 pm

L410Turbolet wrote:
Anyone knows why Southwest decided to block access to its website from (certain?) non-US IP addresses? I have sent a question regarding this to their customer service and got a standard copy/paste reply that "they are working on it" with their provider. This has been 2+ months ago.
Up until very recently Allegiant had the same problem or more likely policy for many years.
My question is: has the volume of reservations from foreign visitors to the US been so negligible, that WN can afford to simply cut off/ignore this source of revenue?

I don’t think they “can” ignore it as much as they simply “do” ignore it - whether it be IT systems or policy, WN has got to step up it’s game on increasing foreign points of sale if it wants to succeed in serving anywhere but an intl. beach market. It’s part of the reason they’re reducing MEX, and one of the main reasons they still have not started Canada.

You’re probably right in the sense that the volume of foreign travelers has been negligible to SWA, but I think that’s due to a combo of unfamiliarity with the brand abroad, as well as the lackluster IT that has always plagued WN. The side effect is once again that anything that’s not a foreign vacation destination has been a tough time for Southwest and it’s going to continue to be that way unless something changes.

wnflyguy

Mon Dec 31, 2018 10:14 pm

Well looks like WN is not going to make the Hawaii ticket sales by the End of 2018.
As Rumored WN last few required ETOPS validations are all now pushed into the 31 days of January 2019. This is definitely due to the pending government shutdown.
Happy New Years to my fellow airline nerds.
Flyguy
my post are my opinion only and not those of southwest airlines and or airtran airlines.

atcsundevil

Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:15 am

Please continue in next year's thread.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1411829

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos