killswitch13
Topic Author

Indigo to start low-cost flights to Europe from next winter

Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:15 am

InterGlobe Aviation's Indigo Airlines is planning to start low-cost flights to major European cities including London, Paris, Hong Kong, and Madrid from New Delhi from next winter.

Source: http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/business/indigo-to-start-low-cost-flights-to-europe-from-next-winter-2493199.html

Blerg

Re: Indigo to start low-cost flights to Europe from next winter

Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:26 am

killswitch13 wrote:
InterGlobe Aviation's Indigo Airlines is planning to start low-cost flights to major European cities including London, Paris, Hong Kong, and Madrid from New Delhi from next winter.

Source: http://www.moneycontrol.com/news/business/indigo-to-start-low-cost-flights-to-europe-from-next-winter-2493199.html

Hong Kong is one of the nicest cities in Europe.

I wonder what impact this will have on, not only Air India, but its Star Alliance partners and the MEB3.

PM

Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:38 am

With A330s. Good. Much my favourite Indian airline. I wish them every success.

SCQ83

Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:40 am

Blerg wrote:
killswitch13 wrote:

I wonder what impact this will have on, not only Air India, but its Star Alliance partners and the MEB3.

First thought.

Madrid? Air India started MAD-DEL not long ago (and currently it is the only India-Spain route). It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Blerg

Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:04 am

SCQ83 wrote:
Blerg wrote:
killswitch13 wrote:

First thought.

Madrid? Air India started MAD-DEL not long ago (and currently it is the only India-Spain route). It doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Maybe they hope to squeeze them out of the market. I can't imagine AI being extremely competitive especially now when there are plans to privatize them and when a new management might be taking over. I don't think there are that many markets in Europe that can sustain a direct, year-round flight to India.

kotoka

Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:15 am

Blerg wrote:

I don't think there are that many markets in Europe that can sustain a direct, year-round flight to India.

You do realize that just about every major European city has a direct year-round flight to India?

Antarius

Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:17 am

Blerg wrote:
killswitch13 wrote:

Hong Kong is one of the nicest cities in Europe

I guess it finally floated away? Or is the OP/Author still under the assumption that HK is a British territory?

Kidding aside - good for Indigo. Unquestionably the best airline in India, IMO, by a long shot. Will be good for the traveling diaspora to have another good option
2018: AUA CLT IAH HOU DFW COS DEN CLL ORD PEK PVG PHX SFO SJC OAK PHL YYC STL DTW HNL OGG JFK LGA EWR GIG GRU IGU CWB SDU MDW BOS IAD DCA PBI FLL MIA

Antarius

Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:22 am

Blerg wrote:
I don't think there are that many markets in Europe that can sustain a direct, year-round flight to India.

???

BA flies to several cities, multiple times a day from LHR. Same for LH at FRA and MUC. AF from CDG. AY from Helsinki. KL from AMS. Swiss from ZRH. Aeroflot from Moscow.

India can support a lot of daily flights to Europe.
2018: AUA CLT IAH HOU DFW COS DEN CLL ORD PEK PVG PHX SFO SJC OAK PHL YYC STL DTW HNL OGG JFK LGA EWR GIG GRU IGU CWB SDU MDW BOS IAD DCA PBI FLL MIA

Blerg

Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:31 am

And how many of those airlines that fly there rely solely on O&D and how many are there because of connections? For example, Ukraine International Airlines is launching DEL but 54% of their passengers last year were transfers. It's safe to assume that most on this route will be transferring at KBP as well.

My point is that Indigo will have to rely on O&D alone, unless they will find a partner in Europe. Now, how many destinations in Europe can sustain a lowcost flight to India with connections being offered only on one end? Destinations such as Copenhagen, Kiev or Helsinki could barely work without feed.

sibibom

Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:49 am

I wonder if it is NEO? London, Birmingham, Paris, Rome. Amsterdam, Istanbul etc will work no doubt. Madrid(and Spain in general) is a growing market especially after a Bollywood movie (grew multiple times). Remember they have A321Neos too which can try some of the destinations eventually. However, 7-8 hours in those seats will be a nightmare! I hope they get better seats on A330.

opticalilyushin

Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:55 pm

Dublin nearly became an Air India hub years ago, until they realised heavy 777s and their short runway wouldn't work.. who knows though

royroy

Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:00 pm

I wonder if they will expand east with A330s aswell? possibly even increase capacity on middle east routes

eicvd

Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:18 pm

kotoka wrote:
Blerg wrote:

You do realize that just about every major European city has a direct year-round flight to India?

DUB hasn’t, plenty of options via the ME3 but nothing direct.
COYBIB

raylee67

Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:47 pm

For HKG, AI and 9W will get affected most. CX has a stable following for the India routes. Indigo will not be able to compete for connection traffic to North America via HKG, and local business people will continue to prefer CX over any Indian carriers when they travel to India for business. The problem of HKG-India service is that, unlike service to Japan, Korea, Australia or S.E. Asia, a low-cost entrant will not spur demand a lot. Hong Kong tourists who were not planning to go to India are not going to find India appealing because there are some low cost flight tickets available, so Indigo will be competing against the existing carriers on existing demand.
319/20/21 332/33 342/43/45 388 707 717 732/36/3G/38/39 74R/42/43/44/4E/48 757 762/63 772/7L/73/7W 788 D10 M80 135/40/45 175/90 DH1/4 CRJ/R7 L10
AY LH OU SR BA FI
AA DL UA NW AC CP WS FL NK
CI NH SQ KA CX JL BR OZ TG KE CA CZ NZ JQ RS

dtw2hyd

Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:47 pm

Best for Indigo is to tie-up with Norwegian and go in a big way.

Spiderguy252

Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:09 pm

Past experience suggests that you shouldn't read too much into these announcements from SG/6E.

Believe it when you see it.
Vahroone

CaliguyNYC

Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:21 pm

raylee67 wrote:
For HKG, AI and 9W will get affected most. CX has a stable following for the India routes. Indigo will not be able to compete for connection traffic to North America via HKG, and local business people will continue to prefer CX over any Indian carriers when they travel to India for business. The problem of HKG-India service is that, unlike service to Japan, Korea, Australia or S.E. Asia, a low-cost entrant will not spur demand a lot. Hong Kong tourists who were not planning to go to India are not going to find India appealing because there are some low cost flight tickets available, so Indigo will be competing against the existing carriers on existing demand.

India is a source country and Indigo is going after Indian origin pax who are very price sensitive. So demand to a city like Hong Kong could most definitely go up (HKG, BKK and SIN are three cities in the FE that Indian tourists are very comfortable in). Maybe add KUL to the list and then the rest of Asia is exotic for many Indians.

Let's see if Indigo can make this work. To me all airlines to India offer low fares in coach so not quite sure how much lower fares can go. Maybe they will have a decent sized PE class which could work in India. And Madrid - WTF? Unless Indigo plans on offering EU-DEL-BKK/SIN garbage cheap fares. And I agree not that many EU cities can support daily O&D flights to India. Maybe they should have offered onward to EWR & SFO. My guess is that 9W is really glad it got it's partnership with AF/KL/DL/VS off the ground when it did. Also interesting that Indigo is going after DEL. AI will feel this.

dtw2hyd

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:31 pm

I think 9W will cash in from all this confusion, They just need to be ready to connect as many Indian cities as possible to AMS, as soon as AI sale is final.

vadodara

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:43 pm

Blerg wrote:
And how many of those airlines that fly there rely solely on O&D and how many are there because of connections? For example, Ukraine International Airlines is launching DEL but 54% of their passengers last year were transfers. It's safe to assume that most on this route will be transferring at KBP as well.

My point is that Indigo will have to rely on O&D alone, unless they will find a partner in Europe. Now, how many destinations in Europe can sustain a lowcost flight to India with connections being offered only on one end? Destinations such as Copenhagen, Kiev or Helsinki could barely work without feed.

Seems like Indigo's plan is to capture a developing market. Based on their traffic numbers/pattern, they may feel that this class may be willing to make their next move to fly to S. Europe, destinations in S. E. Asia. So yes, it is O/D traffic.

If they wanted to partner someone, they may have already looked at Qatar. Obviously, they dont have the financial need nor do they see an advantage in partnering.

Either way, another good option for the traveling class.

unrave

Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:59 pm

Spiderguy252 wrote:
Past experience suggests that you shouldn't read too much into these announcements from SG/6E.

This is the most sane reply in this thread. Every quarter SG makes some announcement about low cost long haul flights but nothing has materialised so far.
India: World's fastest growing major economy. World's fastest growing aviation market.

sibibom

Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:31 am

unrave wrote:
Spiderguy252 wrote:

This is the most sane reply in this thread. Every quarter SG makes some announcement about low cost long haul flights but nothing has materialised so far.

Indigo isn't Spicejet! It's run by a bunch of professionals who seem to know what they are doing (atleast so far). I am pretty sure they will launch a widebody flight next year.

binayak

Tue Jan 30, 2018 7:28 am

Well I don't think indigo needs connection at Europe end. Once they start offering low fares to any city in Europe, passenger traffic will increase to that place. They will create their own market. The worst affected will be air India as they have been aggressively expanding to Europe. Jet airways will be safe as they have strong tie up with AF, KLM and Delta.
The best preparation for tomorrow is doing your best today

Blerg

Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:15 am

How low can Indigo go in order to stimulate demand? It's not like flying to India is expensive. flydubai offers Indian connections for as little as €370.

Kashmon

Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:15 am

If Indigo flew SYD-BLR-LGW ( should work on A330-300?)
OR PER/MEL
and offered their LCC type fares
that would be extremely interesting- all the young 20 somethings would start flying them

Kashmon

Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:19 am

raylee67 wrote:

CX does not get affected by LCC's anyway and they have a loyal following
AI/9W will be screwed
but this will be good
CX wants to expand in India but cannot due to limited rights- greater Indian flights should change that.
and Indians who would have never considered HKG would now fly

also anyone that wants to launch HKG in the next 7 years needs to get in NOW - they are running out of slots - 2018 CX is undergoing its biggest destination expansion ever not to mention HX is rapidly occupying any free slot left.

unrave

Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:38 pm

There really seems to be some substance to this story now. IndiGo have appointed Wolfgang Prock-Schauer as their new COO, possibly to plan their international expansion.

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/com ... 594060.ece
India: World's fastest growing major economy. World's fastest growing aviation market.

vadodara

Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:21 pm

Blerg wrote:
How low can Indigo go in order to stimulate demand? It's not like flying to India is expensive. flydubai offers Indian connections for as little as €370.

Essentially, the traffic that Indigo has captured flew on upper class in Railways. So to answer your question, roughly that is the upper limit. Right now, the potential market is 300-400 mm, give or take.

Sure, Fly Dubai will/can exist; however, if Indigo play's its cards right, it will have significant advantage in large cities like Delhi from where it can offer non-stops as well as secondary cities where likes of Fly Dubai cannot fly.

vadodara

Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:23 pm

sibibom wrote:
unrave wrote:
Spiderguy252 wrote:

Indigo isn't Spicejet! It's run by a bunch of professionals who seem to know what they are doing (atleast so far). I am pretty sure they will launch a widebody flight next year.

But Spicejet is making money and their expansion plans seem to be reasonable. That is no gurantee that they may not stumble in future. In the meantime, they have a growing underserved market.

Does not hurt to be bold!

CPHFF

Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:14 pm

New York, London, Paris, Munich......
Everybody talk about pop muzik
Never underestimate the power of ignorance

UltimoTiger777

Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:34 pm

I remember reading the other year (in Airliner World magazine) about a start up Indian airline wanting to fly between the UK & India called POP. I suppose this would see them off pretty quick?

Cunard

Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:18 am

If you remember what was proposed by the virtual airline POP in their initial press release your fully appreciate as to why we haven't heard anymore about their so called start up so I would assume that you can immediately discount POP ever happening anytime soon :-)

On a side note are there any updates on VISTARA and their long haul ambitions that were floating around a few months ago?

Slash787

Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:40 pm

Well this would be bad news for Jet Airways, I still don't get why they are not taking the deliveries of their B789's, its the perfect aircraft to restart US flights and add more European destinations.

alan3

Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:58 pm

I just hope IndiGo stops requiring their flight attendants to wear those bob-cut wigs. Rather silly.

binayak

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:33 am

Slash787 wrote:
Well this would be bad news for Jet Airways, I still don't get why they are not taking the deliveries of their B789's, its the perfect aircraft to restart US flights and add more European destinations.

They are not taking the delivery because their hub BOM is saturated. They don't want to start USA flights from Delhi as that would lead to direct competition with AI. They are waiting for navi Mumbai airport. Well Jet won't be affected much. India is a developing market. The LCC will target tourists particularly and not corporates like jet. 9W will also receive 75 B737max 10 which are cheaper to operate and will have sky interiors and new IFEs. They can fly them to Europe. Anyways after ten years living standard of people will improve and yes people will prefer luxury once they are richer. This is where jet will have an advantage. Today the people who have just been dreaming about a European vacation will fly indigo in future and today who is just able to afford an abroad trip in an LCC will fly jet in future. LCC and full service will co exist.

unrave

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:04 am

ET has some updates. The plan is to start start flights to Frankfurt, Paris and Gatwick, Manchester and Birmingham in the UK starting October 2018 and to Brussels, Rome, Milan and Zurich in 2019.

https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/in ... 798597.cms

killswitch13
Topic Author

Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:33 pm

Direct competition to AI especially if they plan to start all routes ex DEL

Bhoy

Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:19 pm

unrave wrote:
There really seems to be some substance to this story now. IndiGo have appointed Wolfgang Prock-Schauer as their new COO, possibly to plan their international expansion.

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/com ... 594060.ece

Excellent news, what with his stellar track record at bmi and Air Berlin... :roll:

vadodara

Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:42 pm

Interesting that Indigo has upped the ante. ET was quiet ambigous regarding the fleet.

My guess is that Airbus might make a play with some used 340's to kick-off the service eventually to be replaced either by the 330's or the 350's.

unrave

Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:40 pm

I believe they would be keen on something more fuel efficient. Would the 330neos be available by then?

binayak

Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:47 am

killswitch13 wrote:
Direct competition to AI especially if they plan to start all routes ex DEL

Well I wonder how much will air India advertise their Europe destinations after indigo enters there. Both the airlines operating from same hub and both target tourists to fill Europe flights. Ai must look for only corporate destinations like 9W if they want to stay in business after 2019

unrave

Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:39 am

binayak wrote:
Ai must look for only corporate destinations like 9W if they want to stay in business after 2019

Well there is no need to compete if you end up being acquired by your competitor

binayak

Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:43 am

unrave wrote:
binayak wrote:
Ai must look for only corporate destinations like 9W if they want to stay in business after 2019

Well there is no need to compete if you end up being acquired by your competitor

I think indigo is slowly losing interest in air India. They have upgraded their a320 order to a321LR and will also acquire a330. These will let them fly to a wide range of destinations. So they will be better with flying long haul themselves.

What I wonder is if AI, indigo, spicejet, vistara all crowd at Delhi, who will hub at navi Mumbai? 9W?

MaverickM11

Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:04 am

This could make life suddenly very unpleasant at the ME3

Blerg wrote:

:checkmark: Indigo could find out the hard way, like all the other longhaul LCCs, that cheap fares are the easy part.
E pur si muove -Galileo

Kashmon

Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:09 am

binayak wrote:
unrave wrote:
binayak wrote:

I think indigo is slowly losing interest in air India. They have upgraded their a320 order to a321LR and will also acquire a330. These will let them fly to a wide range of destinations. So they will be better with flying long haul themselves.

What I wonder is if AI, indigo, spicejet, vistara all crowd at Delhi, who will hub at navi Mumbai? 9W?

Indigo

Indigo controls 40% of the market
I believe they are dominant at almost every airport in India now
9W does not stand a chance...

sevenair

Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:11 am

Kashmon wrote:
If Indigo flew SYD-BLR-LGW ( should work on A330-300?)
OR PER/MEL
and offered their LCC type fares
that would be extremely interesting- all the young 20 somethings would start flying them

You can already easily get U.K.-AUS returns for £650-700 return already. Including bags, food and IFE. They'd have to be significantly cheaper and have a much lower cost base to actually fill the planes and make a profit.
BeLeave in better.

binayak

Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:46 am

Kashmon wrote:
binayak wrote:
unrave wrote:

I think indigo is slowly losing interest in air India. They have upgraded their a320 order to a321LR and will also acquire a330.These will let them fly to a wide range of destinations. So they will be better with flying long haul themselves.

Indigo

I was saying 9W because they will have 75 B737max 10 in the next few years. Those planes are fuel efficient. So 9W is well prepared to face indigo in long haul route. Indigo will have all their Europe flights from Delhi as per their current plan.

tonyban

Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:45 pm

CPHFF wrote:
New York, London, Paris, Munich......
Everybody talk about pop muzik

That just made my day ! Gave me the biggest smile I've had in ages. Good one !

Cunard

Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:41 pm

binayak wrote:
Kashmon wrote:
binayak wrote:
I think indigo is slowly losing interest in air India. They have upgraded their a320 order to a321LR and will also acquire a330.These will let them fly to a wide range of destinations. So they will be better with flying long haul themselves.

Indigo

I was saying 9W because they will have 75 B737max 10 in the next few years. Those planes are fuel efficient. So 9W is well prepared to face indigo in long haul route. Indigo will have all their Europe flights from Delhi as per their current plan.

The B737max 10 may well be 'fuel efficient' but they totally lack the range to fly from India to the United Kingdom non stop regardless of how many 9W have on order they won't be sending them to Europe.

binayak

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:04 am

Cunard wrote:
binayak wrote:
Kashmon wrote:

Indigo

The B737max 10 may well be 'fuel efficient' but they totally lack the range to fly from India to the United Kingdom non stop regardless of how many 9W have on order they won't be sending them to Europe.

Not UK but the B737max 10 can take you from Mumbai to places like Milan, Zurich, Madrid etc which are at Southern part of Europe. With the help of them, 9W can compete with indigo. Even spicejet will use the same type of aircraft for their Europe flights after 2 years. I didn't mean that 9W will send all the 75 to Europe but they will try with atleast 4 or 5.

unrave

Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:26 am

I don't think 9W intend to use them for international ops. The current order of 75 MAX aircraft is barely sufficient to replace their existing fleet and use for domestic expansion. If they are keen on international expansion they will take delivery of the 787s that they have on order.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos