Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

avi8

Re: QF announces 787 BNE-LAX-JFK

Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:24 am

I seem to be confused. Does QF sell JFK-LAX-JFK tickets or do all passengers on the JFK flight connect to Australia flights?
avi8

Gemuser

Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:08 am

QF does not have the right to carry local passengers LAX-JFK-LAX. It only has the right to carry passengers that connect to/from an international flight at LAX. QF actually restrict this a bit more by enforcing that they must connect to/from a QF flight only. This is avoid/reduce the chance of a stuff up violating their traffic rights.

Gemuser

325i

Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:14 am

Hi bzcat, thanks for your input. Sorry about being "Sydneycentric" however basically my comment about Dallas being "civil" relates to Immigration/Customs procedures.
Have never experienced the treatment one receives in Dallas in Los Angeles.LAX is the pits.
Maybe one day you may end up with this option ex BNE.
Oh, ex DFW on AA to JFK was in J class
Enjoy your next trip.
Cheers.

USAOZ

Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:29 am

Gemuser wrote:
QF does not have the right to carry local passengers LAX-JFK-LAX. It only has the right to carry passengers that connect to/from an international flight at LAX. QF actually restrict this a bit more by enforcing that they must connect to/from a QF flight only. This is avoid/reduce the chance of a stuff up violating their traffic rights.

Gemuser
Think QF can carry local freight LAX/JFK & V.V.

NichCage

Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:03 am

So how many flights per week does QF operate out of LAX now? LAX-SYD got reduced I believe when AA started SYD, LAX-MEL will get a few flights cut when MEL-SFO starts, while BNE is getting a little boost.

Gemuser

Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:39 am

USAOZ wrote:
Gemuser wrote:

Gemuser
Think QF can carry local freight LAX/JFK & V.V.

I think you will find that is not so, but there MIGHT be an Atlas Air charter involved.

Gemuser

qf789

Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:39 am

NichCage wrote:
So how many flights per week does QF operate out of LAX now? LAX-SYD got reduced I believe when AA started SYD, LAX-MEL will get a few flights cut when MEL-SFO starts, while BNE is getting a little boost.

Currently there is

BNE-LAX daily 744
SYD-LAX daily A388 ( has been up to 10 weekly over summer with QF17/18 operating a seasonal service)
MEL-LAX daily A388, 6 weekly 789, from 12 Feb to late March will be reduced 12 weekly (3 weekly A388, 9 weekly 789)
Forum Moderator

JBusworth

Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:39 am

avi8 wrote:
I seem to be confused. Does QF sell JFK-LAX-JFK tickets or do all passengers on the JFK flight connect to Australia flights?
As far as I'm aware there needs to be a Qantas international flight on the same booking, but is does not need to be the same day. Once stayed a few days in LA on the way back from NYC and flew the QF108 as its was then. Might have changed since though.

EK413

Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:31 am

qf789 wrote:
NichCage wrote:

Currently there is

BNE-LAX daily 744
SYD-LAX daily A388 ( has been up to 10 weekly over summer with QF17/18 operating a seasonal service)
MEL-LAX daily A388, 6 weekly 789, from 12 Feb to late March will be reduced 12 weekly (3 weekly A388, 9 weekly 789)

Wasn’t SYD-LAX 6 x weekly A380 1 x weekly B744 due to DFW going daily A380.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

JBusworth

Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:26 am

EK413 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
NichCage wrote:

Currently there is

BNE-LAX daily 744

Wasn’t SYD-LAX 6 x weekly A380 1 x weekly B744 due to DFW going daily A380.

EK413

Yes, SYD-LAX is 6 weekly A380 with up to 3 weekly B747.

ClassicLover

Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:32 pm

JBusworth wrote:
As far as I'm aware there needs to be a Qantas international flight on the same booking, but is does not need to be the same day. Once stayed a few days in LA on the way back from NYC and flew the QF108 as its was then. Might have changed since though.

That's correct as far as I am aware. It doesn't have to connect, you can stay in LA "as long as you like", then get the flight to New York.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

XAM2175

Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:52 pm

ClassicLover wrote:
JBusworth wrote:
As far as I'm aware there needs to be a Qantas international flight on the same booking, but is does not need to be the same day.

That's correct as far as I am aware. It doesn't have to connect, you can stay in LA "as long as you like", then get the flight to New York.

Yes, "INTERNATIONAL ONLINE CONNECTING OR STOPOVER TRAFFIC ONLY" is the only stipulation - so there must be a QF flight to or from the US on the same ticket but there is no limit to the transfer duration other than those that apply to the validity of the whole ticket (which by my recollection of IATA rules would be a maximum of one year from the date of first sector on the ticket).

RyanairGuru

Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:01 pm

bzcat wrote:
klakzky123 wrote:
I think if the AA-QF JV ever gets approved, the LAX-JFK flight will quickly go away. But QF clearly feels invested in having a presence in JFK and will probably want to hold onto its slots there so it can fly nonstop when the time comes. But if the AA-QF JV ever gets approved, then that argument goes away.

Someone mentioned up thread that the passenger load is about 200 pax and with full front cabin. I doubt AA can absorb this many additional pax and especially in F and J given that it commands very healthy LAX-JFK O&D yields. The only way to accommodate this many extra pax in mid morning departure ex-LAX will be for AA to schedule a widebody plane, which also means taking if off an intentional rotation. So why not just let QF fly those pax and AA can focus on O&D yield?

Spot on. With or without a JBA, if QF were to withdraw from JFK then AA would have to add significant additional capacity to LAX-NYC to carry interline traffic at marginal yield. It simply doesn’t make sense. The current situation works pretty well for everyone so therefore is unlikely to change anytime soon.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

XAM2175

Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:12 pm

I'd suggest as well that JFK has a significant vanity value to QF, though they'd probably only ever admit it on the same drunken night they take up the remaining A380 options :p

Showing the Roo in New York and having a straight red line from SYD to JFK on the route maps (a function of the "direct" flight number even with the change-of-gauge in LAX) isn't worth all that much but it's not worthless either.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos