alfa164

Re: United denies boarding to an Emotional Support Peacock

Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:50 am

SurlyBonds wrote:
Medical malpractice is, of course, a private right of action, and it also requires an injury for which a plaintiff can seek damages. Who's being injured here?

No; medical malpractice can be an Administrative Law issue; wherein the State has the right to revoke a medical license after an administrative hearing. The State(s), following any complaints about a medical practicioner's actions, have a right (and usually a responsibility) to pursue a hearing as to whether he or she is guilty of malpractice.

Medical malpractice can also be, but is not necessarily, a tort action.

SurlyBonds wrote:
As to "unfair trade practices," care to state the statute they're violating?.

The Deceptive Trade Practices Acts in most states, which includes a provision for action should a person do, or claim to be eligible to do, an act that he or she is not eligible to do legally. Coupled with the requirement that a doctor obtain and respond to the medical conditions he or she personally sees or discovers, or which another competent referring physician sees or discovers and relates to him or her, I would argue that providing medical documentation without a competent examination of the patient would be an act that would be, or in the proper course of business should be, outside his or her legal activities.

Such actions can be brought by either the State or any aggrieved party which, in this case, might even be an airline that had been defrauded into allowing a passenger to carry an animal onboard under false pretenses.
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

GBNWB

Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:43 pm

This all sounds very made up to me, you don’t see anyone in UK airports hauling animals around. I’m sat at MAN as we speak and there isn’t a peacock in sight.

I wouldn’t be overly happy about sitting near a dog on an aircraft. I would put up with it if a guy was blind but otherwise I’d be thinking it should be in the hold.

ZaphodHarkonnen

Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:57 pm

GBNWB wrote:
This all sounds very made up to me, you don’t see anyone in UK airports hauling animals around. I’m sat at MAN as we speak and there isn’t a peacock in sight.

I wouldn’t be overly happy about sitting near a dog on an aircraft. I would put up with it if a guy was blind but otherwise I’d be thinking it should be in the hold.

Seeing eye dogs are the classic assistance dog example but they aren't the only one. Others include support dogs for people treating PTSD, hearing dogs, calming dogs for people with syndromes like Downs where the animal keeps them calm. And those are only the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

The one thing all these animals have in common is they get a huge amount of training on how to do their role and how to behave in public. They will be quiet no matter the noise and bustle, stay right next to their owner, and lay down under their legs or seat. You only notice the properly trained ones when you see them.

The problem here seems to be a loophole in the US agreements that have people abusing this system. A loophole that does not exist in other countries, or so it appears.

Anyways, the main point is it isn't just seeing eye dogs that are the good ones. It more comes down to the animal having the right sort of training.

Slash787

Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:32 pm

What will be next? Emotional Support Cow on Air India?

Blimpie

Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:31 pm

I'll toss my hat in to the ring.

So, I was seated beside a guy with an Emotional Support Weasel (most likely a ferret) last week. It was in a cage and under his feet, and I noticed it didn't have a vest on, so it was likely a pet.

Now, for me, I have an ESA aardvark named Harvey, but I haven't flown with him since all that Hollywood stuff started up last fall. He provides emotional support for having small limbs and whatnot. I think the SDM IV code 304.81
Now get the hell off of my lawn your dang kids!

alfa164

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:30 pm

Slash787 wrote:
What will be next? Emotional Support Cow on Air India?

An emotional support pig on a Saudi or El Al flight would be interesting...
I'm going to have a smokin' hot body again!
I have decided to be cremated....

Planesoul

Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:41 am

I like planes so much they give me emotional support. I just need the whole damn aircraft for myself. So could I get a private ride please?

Myriad

Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:54 am

Maybe an emotional support coyote to address fears of animals for other passengers?
it can join the other animals (cats, dogs, birds, etc) for a mid-flight snack

Bongodog1964

Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:49 am

SurlyBonds wrote:
JannEejit wrote:
So why doesn't the 2/3 of the rest of the world feel the need to bring little Tiddles on board for comfort ? I agree flying can be frightening and stressful for lots of people but other emotional support avenues are out there and explorable. I used to get really stressed before flying, eventually having done enough of it, the feeling left me, and long before I was checking for available wildlife to accompany me. How stressful is an airliner cabin experience for an animal anyway ?

For the same reason that 2/3 of the rest of the world doesn't get things like ramps in addition to stairways, accessible toilets, and so on. Developed countries with the rule of law tend to introduce them first. Back in the day you could have asked why "2/3 of the rest of the world is perfectly OK with smoking on aircraft."

I think it is reasonable to put some constraints on what animals qualify as "emotional support animals," but that doesn't mean you throw the baby out with the bathwater. Emotional support dogs have been very effective when provided a public service in settings like hospitals and even airport terminals. Yes, they are helpful to veterans, and you "little Tiddles" comment is offensive to people in that community. Damn offensive, frankly.

Here in the UK, there is a 100% requirement for full disabled access on all new buildings, accessible toilets etc, but no "emotional support animals" We also have a lot of veterans who have fought alongside US personnel in some very messy war zones.

This requirement to accept "emotional support animals" appears to be purely a US situation, and people in the US ought to be questioning why that is.

JannEejit

Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:26 am

Bongodog1964 wrote:
SurlyBonds wrote:
JannEejit wrote:
So why doesn't the 2/3 of the rest of the world feel the need to bring little Tiddles on board for comfort ? I agree flying can be frightening and stressful for lots of people but other emotional support avenues are out there and explorable. I used to get really stressed before flying, eventually having done enough of it, the feeling left me, and long before I was checking for available wildlife to accompany me. How stressful is an airliner cabin experience for an animal anyway ?

For the same reason that 2/3 of the rest of the world doesn't get things like ramps in addition to stairways, accessible toilets, and so on. Developed countries with the rule of law tend to introduce them first. Back in the day you could have asked why "2/3 of the rest of the world is perfectly OK with smoking on aircraft."

I think it is reasonable to put some constraints on what animals qualify as "emotional support animals," but that doesn't mean you throw the baby out with the bathwater. Emotional support dogs have been very effective when provided a public service in settings like hospitals and even airport terminals. Yes, they are helpful to veterans, and you "little Tiddles" comment is offensive to people in that community. Damn offensive, frankly.

Here in the UK, there is a 100% requirement for full disabled access on all new buildings, accessible toilets etc, but no "emotional support animals" We also have a lot of veterans who have fought alongside US personnel in some very messy war zones.

This requirement to accept "emotional support animals" appears to be purely a US situation, and people in the US ought to be questioning why that is.

Yes that's my point "why just the US ?" and not an attempt to belittle the needs of emotionally distressed individuals as the previous poster appears to be accusing me of. There is of course an insinuation in said post that it's because some places are more 'sophisticated' than others... ;-)

WIederling

Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:50 am

JannEejit wrote:
Yes that's my point "why just the US ?" and not an attempt to belittle the needs of emotionally distressed individuals as the previous poster appears to be accusing me of. There is of course an insinuation in said post that it's because some places are more 'sophisticated' than others... ;-)

The major difference is in ill defined law making ( here right to ESA but no legal right to ask for qualified documentation.)
and a pronounced litigation culture.

That may be more sophisticated ( the Borgia used to be very sophisticated people. Still honoured, look at Game of Thrones popularities )
but it is a less civil society.
Murphy is an optimist

washingtonflyer

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:33 am

I've got an emotional support sloth. He's very patient (me too)!

Although I prefer my emotional support chair. Guarantees me an open seat on my flights..

Bjm0517

Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:57 pm

neomax wrote:
Somebody seriously needs to make a thread of the top 10 most ridiculous emotional support animals. What do you mean I can't take my emotional support rattlesnake? The rattle soothes my nerves!

One of the comments made me (choke) of laughter:

"There go my plans to bring my ESA pet elephant…."

:rotfl:

My gosh, your right :lol: the next headliners gonna be

(Insert Any Airline here) costomser denied boarding after her emotional support bear attempts to nip flight attendant

This is ridiculous

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos