Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Max Q
Topic Author

Does Qantas still operate polar sightseeing flights ?

Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:24 pm

Air New Zealand used to offer these until
the tragic crash of one of their DC10s during a flight

Qantas subsequently started polar ‘tourist’
flights on the 747 Classics and later the -400

Anyone know if they still operate?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

clrd4t8koff

Re: Does Qantas still operate polar sightseeing flights ?

Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:29 pm

The internet is your friend..

http://www.antarcticaflights.com.au
Last edited by clrd4t8koff on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

qf789

Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:31 pm

Max Q wrote:
Air New Zealand used to offer these until
the tragic crash of one of their DC10s during a flight

Qantas subsequently started polar ‘tourist’
flights on the 747 Classics and later the -400

Anyone know if they still operate?

Yes they normally do around 3-4 charter flights every summer, refer to the following

http://www.antarcticaflights.com.au/
Forum Moderator

bgm

Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:29 pm

http://bfy.tw/GK25

Look what the first result is ;)

Max Q
Topic Author

Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:45 am

In the time it took to refer me to Google you could instead ponder the reason people go to this website

As an enthusiast aviation forum it is and always has been a far more interesting and informative source for such questions than Google

Thanks QF789 for the interesting link

Has anyone been on one of these flights?

GGg

qf789

Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:56 am

Max Q wrote:
In the time it took to refer me to Google you could instead ponder the reason people go to this website

As an enthusiast aviation forum it is and always has been a far more interesting and informative source for such questions than Google

Thanks QF789 for the interesting link

Has anyone been on one of these flights?

I haven’t done one but it’s one flight I’ve always wanted to take, to my knowledge they are popular, maybe pop into the Australian thread someone there might have done one
Forum Moderator

26point2

Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:06 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:

Is this meant to be helpful? Smarmy answer. Perhaps this is a question others would like an answer to. What’s the point of this site if we can’t all learn from it.

EK413

Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:27 am

There’s one coming up in February 12 Ex MEL & 18 Ex BNE if I’m not mistaken.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

clrd4t8koff

Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:13 am

26point2 wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

Is this meant to be helpful? Smarmy answer. Perhaps this is a question others would like an answer to. What’s the point of this site if we can’t all learn from it.

What's the point of the internet if people aren't going to use it and instead post questions they could have found the answer to in 2-seconds?

Other commenters said almost the same thing, look at reply 3. Why did you single me out? Smarmy move.

EK413

Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:36 am

We all have access to the internet at our finger tips but it’s always easier to get the answers here at the one and only A.net ;)

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

SheikhDjibouti

Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:40 am

26point2 wrote:
clrd4t8koff wrote:

I think you are being a tad harsh.
Sometimes (not always) the OP genuinely just needs a pointer in the right direction, such as a website address, and nothing more.

On the other hand, if this OP is more interested in the wider history of polar sightseeing flights, a discussion here on a.net is entirely appropriate.

My own search engine provided multiple answers to the antarctic flights question, 99% of which were expedia/kayak/cheapoflights.com, none of which actually answered the question. :hissyfit:
I might as well have asked for flights to "Uptheswaneeriver"; somehow they all promise to offer a great deal until you call them up.

Fractionally off-topic in that it doesn't strictly address the OP's question, it is possible to fly to and land in Antarctica. But not from Oz.
Currently this outfit only offer one-way trips ( :lol: ).... with the return leg by sea.
Usually used are 70 passenger BAE 146-200 manufactured in the United Kingdom by British Aerospace and equipped with 4 turbofan Honeywell engines. It is a high-wing aircraft with very short runway requirements which makes it particularly suited for this kind of destination. It is operated by Aerovias DAP, which has more than 20 years of experience of flying in Patagonia and Antarctica. Substitute aircraft however may be used as necessary.

I'm not sure what "substitute" aircraft they have up their sleeves, but you'd think they would jazz the aircraft up a bit. If this HS146 suffers a runway excursion and ends up in a snowdrift, they'll never find it.

https://www.coolantarctica.com/Travel/F ... rctica.php
Nothing to see here; move along please.

XAM2175

Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:29 pm

QF and NZ actually started operating the flights at the around the same time - obviously though NZ never resumed theirs after the Erebus disaster.

As an aside for the slighly-less-well-heeled enthusiast, watch for the QF charters from Perth as the aircraft (always a 744 at the moment, which statistically means a 744ER more often than not) usually operates the SYD-PER and PER-SYD positioning sectors in passenger service.

dredgy

Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:34 pm

Duplicate post.
Last edited by dredgy on Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dredgy

Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:37 pm

I did a Qantas flight once for NYE in first class, was insanely expensive iirc and (IMO) not worth it. The view of the ice is stunning, the whole atmosphere was a big party for New Years (and New Years during the days as great) and the guest lecturers were fairly interesting. But you had to rotate seats and al, it really left me with was an urge to set foot in the ground. It also felt quite hedonistic to be drinking champagne and listening to explorers talk about how Antarctica must be preserved, all while blasting pollution into the atmosphere over on a massive, fuel inefficient jet.

Max Q
Topic Author

Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:26 am

XAM2175 wrote:
QF and NZ actually started operating the flights at the around the same time - obviously though NZ never resumed theirs after the Erebus disaster.

As an aside for the slighly-less-well-heeled enthusiast, watch for the QF charters from Perth as the aircraft (always a 744 at the moment, which statistically means a 744ER more often than not) usually operates the SYD-PER and PER-SYD positioning sectors in passenger service.

I didn’t know Air New Zealand and Qantas
started these flights around the same time

Always thought QF started theirs some time after the Erebus crash as ANZ had no interest in resuming theirs

GGg

Max Q
Topic Author

Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:29 am

dredgy wrote:
I did a Qantas flight once for NYE in first class, was insanely expensive iirc and (IMO) not worth it. The view of the ice is stunning, the whole atmosphere was a big party for New Years (and New Years during the days as great) and the guest lecturers were fairly interesting. But you had to rotate seats and al, it really left me with was an urge to set foot in the ground. It also felt quite hedonistic to be drinking champagne and listening to explorers talk about how Antarctica must be preserved, all while blasting pollution into the atmosphere over on a massive, fuel inefficient jet.

Interesting account, while I’m sure it’s
an incredible sight it does seem like a lot of money to spend to end up back where you started

GGg

speedbird52

Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:40 am

Forgive me, but what is the point of flying along if you can't get window seating? Also, couldn't you get this same experience for a more justifiable price flying to South Africa or Argentina?

JBusworth

Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:47 am

speedbird52 wrote:
Forgive me, but what is the point of flying along if you can't get window seating? Also, couldn't you get this same experience for a more justifiable price flying to South Africa or Argentina?

QF flights to JNB and SCL from SYD indeed do often pass over parts of Antarctica, its one of the reason that they use the 747s on the flights as the pilots have Antarctica training. The added cost of the return flights probably outweigh the discount of the JNB and SCL flights though.

speedbird52

Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:54 am

JBusworth wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:

QF flights to JNB and SCL from SYD indeed do often pass over parts of Antarctica, its one of the reason that they use the 747s on the flights as the pilots have Antarctica training. The added cost of the return flights probably outweigh the discount of the JNB and SCL flights though.

But you do have to remember you also get to see JNB and SCL...

NichCage

Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:59 am

What would happen if there was ever an emergency with the aircraft flying over Antarctica? That would be pretty scary.

But still, I would love to fly over Antarctica at one point in my life. Seems like a once in a lifetime experience.

BAeRJ100

Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:53 am

speedbird52 wrote:
Forgive me, but what is the point of flying along if you can't get window seating?

As mentioned by another poster (who has been on one of these flights) - you rotate during the flight so that everyone gets a chance to see something.
B737/738/739/744ER/752/753/763/77L/77W/788/789
A223/320/321/332/333/346/359/388
MD82/MD88/717/F100/RJ85/RJ100/146-100/200/300
E175/190/CRJ700/900

speedbird52

Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:00 am

BAeRJ100 wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:
Forgive me, but what is the point of flying along if you can't get window seating?

As mentioned by another poster (who has been on one of these flights) - you rotate during the flight so that everyone gets a chance to see something.

I feel consideribly less smart now as I assumed the seats physically rotated :oops: . Don't they also sell center seats that do not rotate? What on earth would the point of those be.

brucetiki

Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:26 am

BAeRJ100 wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:

Most seats do.

The cheap economy seats (middle seats of middle section of plane), and the cheapest business class seats (middle section of plane) don't rotate. There's also about a $3000 price difference between the centre business seats and the window business seats.
The early bird catches the worm, the late bird will be featured on a You Tube video

ClassicLover

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:02 am

speedbird52 wrote:
Don't they also sell center seats that do not rotate? What on earth would the point of those be.

It's not like you stay seated throughout the flight. You can go look out the windows in the doors, for example. Also, people are not going to be precious about hogging the windows all the time, so you'll get a look, even without a window seat. I hear it's very much a casual and enjoyable experience for all.

What will be interesting is what will happen after the Boeing 747s are retired at Qantas. Apparently these are easily the most suitable aircraft for the charter (I think the A380 has too much wing to see down as well), and I doubt twins are going to be an option. I'd get in and do it soon if it's something you've always wanted to do.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos