Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flymco753
Topic Author

BTS Data Sets

Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:46 am

Where would one find O&D between 2 markets using the BTS DB1B data?

Lets say, I'm trying to look up CLE-KEF and what the O&D is to analyze the market? Or what if I wanted to see what the largest US-KEF markets are? Any help is greatly appreciated. I need detailed steps if possible.
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

RushmoreAir

Re: BTS Data Sets

Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:14 am

It's a pain in the ass to get access to international O&D/T-100 data unless you already have it through your employer/school, as its usage is restricted by the DOT:

https://www.bts.dot.gov/topics/airlines ... a#RESTRICT

Also, should note that DB1B only includes tickets in their sample that had at least one segment of their ticket on a U.S. carrier. So you won't have full visibility on FI's O&D traffic, for instance. The international T-100 data (instructions to access are also in the link above) will have the onboards/seats by month for every non-stop flight that touches the U.S. Thus, you will be able to figure out loads on FI KEF-SFB for instance, but not the traffic composition. To make it clearer, some examples:

Pax 1: LHR-KEF-SEA-GEG (FI/AS) - included in T-100 dataset for KEF-SEA and SEA-GEG, included in DB1B sample
Pax 2: KEF-BWI (FI) - included in T-100 dataset for KEF-BWI, not included in DB1B sample
Pax 3: KEF-JFK (DL) - included in T-100 dataset for KEF-JFK, included in DB1B (since U.S. marketing carrier)

Thus you really won't be able to gauge which local KEF-US markets are the strongest very well, but you can at least use LFs to get a general indication.

If you're actually looking at CLE-KEF though, that market should have good visibility on DB1B before FI/WW enter since nearly every CLE-XXX-KEF O&D pax will fly on a U.S. carrier for at least one segment.

[edited to fix link]
NW UA DL F9 CO WN LO QF FI AC MU CA EU LH LX DY B6 AA HA NZ MW HU U2 SK AF EK IB HX WS G4 AZ IG 4B

The views and opinions as expressed in this post are entirely my own and are not those of my employer, Hawaiian Airlines, Inc

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos