Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
ben175
Posts: 805
Joined: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:44 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:29 am

IndianicWorld wrote:
ben175 wrote:
waoz1 wrote:
China Eastern to commence trail flights into Perth from October... fingers crossed it does well

https://thewest.com.au/news/tourism/pus ... b88748428z


Fantastic. Looking forward to the official announcement. I'm assuming 3 x weekly with a 332 to start off.


I would expect PVG should be able to do fairly well, but it is concerning that CZ has not been able to get much traction in its time in the PER market.

PER doesn’t have a significant Chinese population, unlike SYD and MEL, which also hinders its chances to gain a foothold in the market. BNE has only recently started gaining momentum, but for a long time it also struggled to gain attention given the focus on tapping into the larger markets first.

Good luck to them with this trial.


CAN has no denying been somewhat of a slow burner, but the O&D demand from Perth to Shanghai would be light years ahead of the demand to Guangzhou. CAN relies almost entirely on connections.
 
oskarclare
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:53 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:47 am

https://www.routesonline.com/news/29/br ... t=brisbane

Interesting article here regarding Routes Asia next month. Looking forward to many new airlines and connections.

The article highlights India,Japan,China and Korea.Both increased flights and new cities in those countries.

BNE-KIX by QF and BNE-TYO by NH would be Japan.

BNE-CKG by GS and BNE-XMN by MF and BNE-CTU by 3U would be the main 3.

BNE-DEL by AI or Jet Airways

BNE-SEL more flights by KE and perhaps OZ?

American Airlines attendance is also interesting as well as Norwegian.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11138
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Tue Feb 20, 2018 3:59 am

QF seeks to expand codeshare with Air Niugini

http://australianaviation.com.au/2018/0 ... r-niugini/
Forum Moderator
 
Qantas16
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:51 am

qf789 wrote:
QF seeks to expand codeshare with Air Niugini

http://australianaviation.com.au/2018/0 ... r-niugini/


Some of the arguments in this article are bs.

"“Further, Qantas said Air Niugini was unlikely to maintain Boeing 767-300 wide body flights on Brisbane-Port Moresby absent the codeshare."

PX has been flying the 767 to BNE with <100pax for years and years, not sure why that is suddenly going to change. Not only that, the 2 767s they have are relatively under utilised and if BNE flying was reduced then I'm not sure they have anywhere better to send them. They have one 787 on order, likely to replace the 2 767s, so when that (eventually/ever) arrives, I'm sure we will then see BNE reduced to more 737s but until then, I am skeptical.

"A downgauge to smaller narrowbody aircraft would have a significant impact on the freight market between Australia and PNG.
“It is unlikely that alternative freighter operators would match the regular schedules from the Qantas/Air Niugini code share arrangements,” Qantas said."


If PX were to downgauge then I'm sure that someone would fill the freight market. Their are plenty of domestic freighters sitting empty all day that could fly to POM if needed.

Overall, I think QF should be allowed to codeshare on TSV/CNS-POM flights but BNE/SYD should face restrictions/conditions.

PX should also look at capturing more of the BNE/SYD/CNS/TSV-NRT/HKG/SIN/MNL traffic. Whilst it would be low yielding out of BNE/SYD/CNS it would help them fill the aircraft and out of TSV they would be more competitive given the lack of other options.
 
USAOZ
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:34 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:37 am

re Jetgo's new E175 .................

News back in Dec that jetgo adding larger aircraft to their fleet of ERJ135/40/45's & getting an 88 seater to flying BNE/SIN via Karratha in Western Australia.

Where else will this aircraft be used ?

BNE/ABX/BNE on busy days like Fri & Sun ?

Know someone was looking at BNE/ABX/BNE using 100 seaters before Jetgo announced they were flying there.
 
USAOZ
Posts: 443
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:34 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:39 am

Qantas16 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
QF seeks to expand codeshare with Air Niugini

http://australianaviation.com.au/2018/0 ... r-niugini/


Some of the arguments in this article are bs.

"“Further, Qantas said Air Niugini was unlikely to maintain Boeing 767-300 wide body flights on Brisbane-Port Moresby absent the codeshare."

PX has been flying the 767 to BNE with <100pax for years and years, not sure why that is suddenly going to change. Not only that, the 2 767s they have are relatively under utilised and if BNE flying was reduced then I'm not sure they have anywhere better to send them. They have one 787 on order, likely to replace the 2 767s, so when that (eventually/ever) arrives, I'm sure we will then see BNE reduced to more 737s but until then, I am skeptical.

"A downgauge to smaller narrowbody aircraft would have a significant impact on the freight market between Australia and PNG.
“It is unlikely that alternative freighter operators would match the regular schedules from the Qantas/Air Niugini code share arrangements,” Qantas said."


If PX were to downgauge then I'm sure that someone would fill the freight market. Their are plenty of domestic freighters sitting empty all day that could fly to POM if needed.

Overall, I think QF should be allowed to codeshare on TSV/CNS-POM flights but BNE/SYD should face restrictions/conditions.

PX should also look at capturing more of the BNE/SYD/CNS/TSV-NRT/HKG/SIN/MNL traffic. Whilst it would be low yielding out of BNE/SYD/CNS it would help them fill the aircraft and out of TSV they would be more competitive given the lack of other options.
decade or so ago, needed to fly BNE/SYD in a hurry & tickets were expensive so I got a QF frequent flyer ticket on a PX 763 from international terminal to international terminal (there was nothing else available unless wanted to pay big bucks)
 
User avatar
eta unknown
Posts: 2864
Joined: Wed Jun 13, 2001 5:03 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:26 am

It's no secret the PX BNE 767 flights are primarily freight runs. Eventually the route will be flown with 737 max when these are delivered- eventually the 767's will be retired and at that point PX will either need to aquire a 737 freighter or wet lease one. The QF submission above is just spin that the governing bodies can't see through.
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5558
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:46 am

qf789 wrote:


Captain Lisa Norman currently in PAE for C1 flight and has confirmed she’ll be operating captain on the delivery PAE-ASP.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11138
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:58 am

EK413 wrote:
qf789 wrote:


Captain Lisa Norman currently in PAE for C1 flight and has confirmed she’ll be operating captain on the delivery PAE-ASP.

EK413


She also flew ZNA on delivery, was she PIC for ZNB & ZNC
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5558
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:33 am

qf789 wrote:
EK413 wrote:
qf789 wrote:


Captain Lisa Norman currently in PAE for C1 flight and has confirmed she’ll be operating captain on the delivery PAE-ASP.

EK413


She also flew ZNA on delivery, was she PIC for ZNB & ZNC


Not sure about -ZNB & -ZNC but I know definitely -ZND. Speaking of which here’s -ZND being de-iced.

https://instagram.com/p/BfZybumlwJ-/

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11138
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:29 pm

QF joins DL and UA on wanting the 797

https://www.perthnow.com.au/business/av ... b88750717z
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11138
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:38 pm

Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11138
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:03 pm

Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1974
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:17 pm

qf789 wrote:
QF joins DL and UA on wanting the 797

https://www.perthnow.com.au/business/av ... b88750717z


This article talks a lot about comfort but i bet the seats get packed in when its built!
 
DeltaB717
Posts: 1719
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:49 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:34 pm

qf789 wrote:
QF joins DL and UA on wanting the 797

https://www.perthnow.com.au/business/av ... b88750717z


Considering this article (a) doesn't have quotes from QF and can't otherwise attribute the sentiment of QF wanting the B797 to the airline itself, and (b) claims Delta is the world's largest airline, I'm taking this with a grain of salt. They probably would be interested, but I'll wait until QF says it, thanks...
 
downdata
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:38 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:24 am

which will be a big step forward in comfort with a 2-3-2 configuration in economy, 1-2-2 in premium economy and 1-1-1 in business class


What? What the hell is 1-2-2 suppose to look like. Is he in charge of both the 797 program and the seating plan at delta?
 
qf002
Posts: 3681
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:14 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:27 am

downdata wrote:
What? What the hell is 1-2-2 suppose to look like. Is he in charge of both the 797 program and the seating plan at delta?


QF used to have 767s with a 1-2-2 configuration in J.
 
downdata
Posts: 589
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2016 2:38 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:17 am

qf002 wrote:
downdata wrote:
What? What the hell is 1-2-2 suppose to look like. Is he in charge of both the 797 program and the seating plan at delta?


QF used to have 767s with a 1-2-2 configuration in J.


Well ee also had 2-5-2 on a 777 but that is also not coming back.
 
qf002
Posts: 3681
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:14 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:20 am

downdata wrote:
Well ee also had 2-5-2 on a 777 but that is also not coming back.


Yeah because there is an alternative that makes more sense from a cost and operational perspective.

What alternative makes more sense if you want to fit 5 seats across?
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11138
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:28 am

Stronger international growth gives Sydney Airport a lift in profit

http://australianaviation.com.au/2018/0 ... rt-profit/
Forum Moderator
 
QF744ER
Posts: 431
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:36 am

qf789 wrote:
QF joins DL and UA on wanting the 797

https://www.perthnow.com.au/business/av ... b88750717z


Look at who the author of the article is, our so called "aviation expert", like everyone else acquainted with the industry and/or remotely familiar take his articles with a shovelful of salt.
 
QF744ER
Posts: 431
Joined: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:59 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:46 am

[photoid][/photoid]
a320fan wrote:
angusjt wrote:
QF744ER wrote:

The PER-SIN and SYD-DPS flights are only ever operated by -VZZ and XZA thru to J....not sure what differences -XZL thru to -XZP have and why these never operate these longer International services. Any takers??


If I recall correctly XZP was used for the inaugural QF71/72 flight back in 2015. I also recall seeing XZM operating QF71/72 a couple times over the past year or so, but dont quote me on that.

Perhaps these aircraft have some required equipment for the overwater flights.


Yes that's correct too...XZL-P don't permanently carry overhead life rafts, that the other mentioned B738's carry. I was told that equipment that was/is carried in the Jetconnect B738's will be installed into these 4 aircraft as they are bought back onto the VH register.

The VY*'s are lower thrust rated and have flap differences.
 
DavidByrne
Posts: 1673
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:48 am

downdata wrote:
qf002 wrote:
downdata wrote:
What? What the hell is 1-2-2 suppose to look like. Is he in charge of both the 797 program and the seating plan at delta?


QF used to have 767s with a 1-2-2 configuration in J.


Well ee also had 2-5-2 on a 777 but that is also not coming back.

2-5-2 is arguably better for more pax than 3-3-3; only one passenger per row has to clamber past two others to get in and out of their seat, compared with two in a 3-3-3 configuration. Just sayin’ . . .
This is not my beautiful house . . . This is not my beautiful wife
 
User avatar
Goodbye
Posts: 939
Joined: Mon Jan 22, 2001 1:41 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:58 am

qf789 wrote:


What does C1, C2, B1, B2 etc mean with regards to test flights?
✈︎
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2561
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:12 am

Goodbye wrote:
qf789 wrote:


What does C1, C2, B1, B2 etc mean with regards to test flights?


B1 etc are Boeing test flights before delivery to customer for acceptance testing.

C1 etc are the customer acceptance flights before formally accepting delivery and transfer of ownership.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
tullamarine
Posts: 2561
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 1999 1:14 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:19 am

2-5-2 is arguably better for more pax than 3-3-3; only one passenger per row has to clamber past two others to get in and out of their seat, compared with two in a 3-3-3 configuration. Just sayin’


I flew 2-5-2 on MH 772s and it was fine. I was in Y on window seat and only had to pass one person to get to aisle.

I cannot believe that 2-3-2 will make a comeback. Pax loved it but accountants hated it. It added a lot of weight, width and aerodynamic drag for a single extra seat per row over 737/A320.

It is unlikely in these days of direct aisle access that airlines will go for 1-2-2 in business. That sounds like a W class configuration these days given the J class of the early 763s is very much like the W class of today except legroom is a bit less in W. J class would probably be 1-2-1 in lie-flat config.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 788/9, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E75/90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR
 
TN486
Posts: 556
Joined: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:08 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:26 am

http://australianaviation.com.au/2018/0 ... l-flights/

Worth reading and following. I remember discussion on this topic was in one of our recent threads, and I am sure there is more water to go under the bridge yet. Qantas and Virgin saying the same thing!! wow.
remember the t shirt "I own an airline"on the front - "qantas" on the back
 
smi0006
Posts: 2575
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:52 am

tullamarine wrote:
2-5-2 is arguably better for more pax than 3-3-3; only one passenger per row has to clamber past two others to get in and out of their seat, compared with two in a 3-3-3 configuration. Just sayin’


I flew 2-5-2 on MH 772s and it was fine. I was in Y on window seat and only had to pass one person to get to aisle.

I cannot believe that 2-3-2 will make a comeback. Pax loved it but accountants hated it. It added a lot of weight, width and aerodynamic drag for a single extra seat per row over 737/A320.

It is unlikely in these days of direct aisle access that airlines will go for 1-2-2 in business. That sounds like a W class configuration these days given the J class of the early 763s is very much like the W class of today except legroom is a bit less in W. J class would probably be 1-2-1 in lie-flat config.


I must say rather random the 797 conversation has come up. I fly regularly, once a fortnight if not more on the east coast- and was only just thinking how much I missed the QF767. I know the business class service has been reduced over the years, but there was nothing like an early morning breakfast or dinner service on a QF767 in J. In comparison to the 737 I cant put my finger on the atmosphere, more people, more window more atmospheric light, greater seat pitch? More crew in J? Was sad to see the old 767 go, but if they can make a 797 work domestically and flexibly into Asia - would be phenomenal
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11138
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:01 am

Trials will begin in Canberra in April and Sydney in May as the governments begins rolling out facial recognition technology

https://www.airlineratings.com/news/aus ... r-control/
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11138
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:04 am

Goodbye wrote:
qf789 wrote:


What does C1, C2, B1, B2 etc mean with regards to test flights?


Typically with Boeing every aircraft delivered will have 2 test flights from Boeing (B1,B2) and then normally 2 customer acceptance flights (C1,C2). On some occasions customer acceptance flights will be less or more than 2. With QF's 789's ZNB and ZNC neither of those had customer flights
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11138
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:08 am

tullamarine wrote:
2-5-2 is arguably better for more pax than 3-3-3; only one passenger per row has to clamber past two others to get in and out of their seat, compared with two in a 3-3-3 configuration. Just sayin’


I flew 2-5-2 on MH 772s and it was fine. I was in Y on window seat and only had to pass one person to get to aisle.

I cannot believe that 2-3-2 will make a comeback. Pax loved it but accountants hated it. It added a lot of weight, width and aerodynamic drag for a single extra seat per row over 737/A320.

It is unlikely in these days of direct aisle access that airlines will go for 1-2-2 in business. That sounds like a W class configuration these days given the J class of the early 763s is very much like the W class of today except legroom is a bit less in W. J class would probably be 1-2-1 in lie-flat config.


Articles I have seen floating around have all suggested Business will be 1-1-1, Premium Economy 1-2-2 and Economy 2-3-2
Forum Moderator
 
Qantas16
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:33 am

TN486 wrote:
http://australianaviation.com.au/2018/02/are-charges-and-regulatory-hurdles-barriers-to-more-regional-flights/

Worth reading and following. I remember discussion on this topic was in one of our recent threads, and I am sure there is more water to go under the bridge yet. Qantas and Virgin saying the same thing!! wow.


People are crazy if they think that allowing cabotage on northern regional routes will lead to actual services. Can anyone actually name a route in northern Australia that would be profitable for a foreign airline to operate that is currently underserved? Because I cannot think of one.
 
Qantas16
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:15 am

Philippine Airlines this week filed additional changes for Manila – Brisbane route, effective from 01MAY18. The airline will continue to operate 3 weekly flights with Airbus A340-300, instead of 4 weekly Airbus A321neo.


Source: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -may-2018/

Shame BNE won't get to see the A321neo straight away but good to see the A340 a little bit longer in BNE!
 
oskarclare
Posts: 164
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:53 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:32 am

Qantas16 wrote:
Philippine Airlines this week filed additional changes for Manila – Brisbane route, effective from 01MAY18. The airline will continue to operate 3 weekly flights with Airbus A340-300, instead of 4 weekly Airbus A321neo.


Source: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -may-2018/

Shame BNE won't get to see the A321neo straight away but good to see the A340 a little bit longer in BNE!


Probably don't have CASA approval yet. PR will be kicking themselves as the A340 is way too much capacity for BNE-MNL at the moment.
 
sq256
Posts: 296
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:37 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:38 pm

There is (was?) certain issues identified in one of the engine suppliers for the A320NEO family per this thread. Leading to a temporary suspension.

PAL may have been one of the affected customers.
 
Bluebird191
Posts: 373
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2011 2:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:08 pm

Qantas16 wrote:
Philippine Airlines this week filed additional changes for Manila – Brisbane route, effective from 01MAY18. The airline will continue to operate 3 weekly flights with Airbus A340-300, instead of 4 weekly Airbus A321neo.


Source: https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... -may-2018/

Shame BNE won't get to see the A321neo straight away but good to see the A340 a little bit longer in BNE!


Not forgetting that’s in addition to the all white A340’s we see here that are owned and operated by HiFly. At least we get to see some colour (other than white) on an A340 a few times each week.
 
redroo
Posts: 584
Joined: Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:28 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:58 pm

Qantas16 wrote:
TN486 wrote:
http://australianaviation.com.au/2018/02/are-charges-and-regulatory-hurdles-barriers-to-more-regional-flights/

Worth reading and following. I remember discussion on this topic was in one of our recent threads, and I am sure there is more water to go under the bridge yet. Qantas and Virgin saying the same thing!! wow.


People are crazy if they think that allowing cabotage on northern regional routes will lead to actual services. Can anyone actually name a route in northern Australia that would be profitable for a foreign airline to operate that is currently underserved? Because I cannot think of one.



Exactly. Can anyone see Air Asia flying Karratha to Kununurra or Darwin to Derby?
 
Qantas16
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:51 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:22 am

Bluebird191 wrote:
Not forgetting that’s in addition to the all white A340’s we see here that are owned and operated by HiFly. At least we get to see some colour (other than white) on an A340 a few times each week.


That is true but it's essentially a private charter, so nice to see some RPT service

oskarclare wrote:
PR will be kicking themselves as the A340 is way too much capacity for BNE-MNL at the moment.


Forward bookings are good, though filling 36J seats won't happen. MNL has been identified by BAC as an underserved destination ex-BNE and there is certainly demand for more/better services than are currently offered with PR via DRW.
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11138
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:31 am

Forum Moderator
 
waoz1
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:31 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:37 am

qf789 wrote:


Be nice if they stick around replace one of those 772s
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11138
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:42 am

AJ has talked up the prospects of the 797 for QF today

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-ceo-inc ... boeing-797
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11138
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:26 am

From today's half year results for QF Group

QF announces record first half profit

Underlying Profit before tax $976 million up 15%
Record results from QF domestic, JQ Group and QF loyalty
Statutory Profit before tax $857 million up 20%
Record level of operating cash flow, net free cash flow of $772 million
Up to $500 million shareholder return
QF Domestic $447 million underlying EBIT up 20%, LF up 1.4% to 78.7%, resource sector posted modest growth, first time since 2014
JQ domestic $205 million underlying EBIT
QF International $222 million EBIT, down 5.5%, LF increase 3.1% to 84.4%
JQ International reported strong earning, impact of Bali ash cloud around $10 million
QF Loyalty posted a profit of $184 million, up 1.7%

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... -training/

JQ will take delivery of 18 A321LR's between 2020-2022. The other 81 A320neo family will be split up between A320neo and A321neo and primarily will be used as replacement for existing fleet though also allows scope for growth depending on market conditions

http://newsroom.jetstar.com/jetstar-int ... 321neo-lr/

QF to keep the 4 non 747ER's till the end of 2019, previously planned to go this year

For the presentations, refer to

http://investor.qantas.com/FormBuilder/ ... tation.pdf

QF Group will establish a pilot academy capable of training up to 500 pilots a year. Initially the academy will start with 100 pilots and grow to 500. It is expected to begin in 2019

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... t-academy/

A new Sydney International Airport business lounge expected to be finished by 2019

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... ss-lounge/

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-promise ... ource=hero

All turboprops will get a cabin upgrade

https://www.qantasnewsroom.com.au/media ... n-upgrade/

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantaslink-to- ... ource=grid
Forum Moderator
 
User avatar
qf2220
Posts: 1974
Joined: Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:16 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:54 am

qf789 wrote:
AJ has talked up the prospects of the 797 for QF today

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-ceo-inc ... boeing-797


Ok, so with 789 and Project Sunrise, where does that leave the 789??
 
User avatar
qf789
Moderator
Topic Author
Posts: 11138
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:42 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:56 am

waoz1 wrote:
qf789 wrote:


Be nice if they stick around replace one of those 772s


I would say it will either go on SQ213/226 or SQ223/214

Perth Airport Press Release, adding the 787-10 to 1 service will add 38,000 seats on the route a year

http://www.perthairport.com.au/Home/cor ... 10-flights
Forum Moderator
 
waoz1
Posts: 580
Joined: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:31 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:16 am

qf789 wrote:
waoz1 wrote:
qf789 wrote:


Be nice if they stick around replace one of those 772s


I would say it will either go on SQ213/226 or SQ223/214

Perth Airport Press Release, adding the 787-10 to 1 service will add 38,000 seats on the route a year

http://www.perthairport.com.au/Home/cor ... 10-flights


Funny how Qantas can only do 2 flights a day on this route with 737-800s make nearly a billion in profit then Singapore adds another 38,000 seats.
:/
 
User avatar
EK413
Posts: 5558
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:26 am

With the confirmation of the 4 x non -ER 400’s hanging around until the end of 2019 certainly sheds some light as to why the next batch of B789’s wasn’t taken up.

It’s great to see the B747 going strong.

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!
 
FromCDGtoSYD
Posts: 388
Joined: Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:29 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:43 am

waoz1 wrote:
Funny how Qantas can only do 2 flights a day on this route with 737-800s make nearly a billion in profit then Singapore adds another 38,000 seats.
:/


Keep in mind SQ can tap into pax transfering from Europe, US and Asia whereas QF mostly has to rely on O&D on this route
 
getluv
Posts: 594
Joined: Thu Jun 11, 2015 12:11 pm

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:12 am

qf2220 wrote:
qf789 wrote:
AJ has talked up the prospects of the 797 for QF today

https://www.ausbt.com.au/qantas-ceo-inc ... boeing-797


Ok, so with 789 and Project Sunrise, where does that leave the 789??


There's plenty of room for the remaining 787 options.
I'm that bad type.
 
qf002
Posts: 3681
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:14 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:39 am

qf2220 wrote:
Ok, so with 789 and Project Sunrise, where does that leave the 789??


Right in the middle, just as the A330s slotted in between the 767s and the 747/A380s.

797 for domestic, Tasman and smaller Asian routes
787 for smaller long-haul and bigger Asian routes (particularly cargo)
777/A350 for bigger long-haul routes

The A380 (while she's still around) then continues doing pretty much what she is doing today covering biggest routes (though I imagine with 777/A350s coming in we would see some adjustments, ie DFW would lose the A380 and possibly no more SYD-SIN-LHR etc - any freed up capacity would be used to replace the 744ERs).
 
smi0006
Posts: 2575
Joined: Wed Jan 16, 2008 7:45 am

Re: Australian Aviation Thread - February 2018

Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:52 am

qf002 wrote:
qf2220 wrote:
Ok, so with 789 and Project Sunrise, where does that leave the 789??


Right in the middle, just as the A330s slotted in between the 767s and the 747/A380s.

797 for domestic, Tasman and smaller Asian routes
787 for smaller long-haul and bigger Asian routes (particularly cargo)
777/A350 for bigger long-haul routes

The A380 (while she's still around) then continues doing pretty much what she is doing today covering biggest routes (though I imagine with 777/A350s coming in we would see some adjustments, ie DFW would lose the A380 and possibly no more SYD-SIN-LHR etc - any freed up capacity would be used to replace the 744ERs).


I wonder how big a fleet of 797 QF would be looking at, and how this impacts their 738 fleet renewal also.

Whilst from an a geek perspective I’d wish they’d hurry up with more orders. From a business perspective there are a hell of a lot of moving metrics and interwoven decisions and negotiations!! Not to mention the significant network change they are about to undertake this year- interesting times ahead.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos