yashk
Topic Author

Rumor: AI to increase frequency on SFO, SYD, MEL

Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:30 pm

As per this link, seems like AI will expand SFO from 6 weekly to 9 weekly. What would it be: the new 3 weekly on a different time - probably a 1 pm departure from delhi and 6 pm departure from SF - or would the existing flight go 7 weekly plus 2 weekly on a different time. With the net addition of one 77W, there were plans for starting 3 weekly LAX, I believe expanding SFO is a better move on their part.

As for SYD/MEL, both seem to be up-gauged to 5 weekly each .

http://livefromalounge.boardingarea.com ... ne-sydney/

kriskim

Re: Rumor: AI to increase frequency on SFO, SYD, MEL

Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:58 pm

They have talked about MEL and SYD increases for early last year but it never happened. I hope it happens this time round, I mean if UL can make MEL-CMB daily, you would assume AI can too.
A world built upon connectivity.

yashk
Topic Author

Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:52 pm

Well the new 3 weekly to SFO will be from Mumbai instead.
https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/in ... 793127.cms

ikolkyo

Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:03 pm

I feel like AI could have really used those 789s that were denied by the board.

Irehdna

Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:17 pm

Why BOM-SFO? I think that would likely just become BOM-DEL-SFO. IMO while BLR-SFO is not likely either, it would make more sense than a flight from BOM.

simpv

Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:40 pm

Does Air India have any free aircraft, or would this be a result of a reduction on another route?

airlinermiami

Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:54 pm

I also heard that AI is increasing frequencies on the Delhi-Madrid non-stop flight ...

MIAFLLPBIFlyer

Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:22 pm

Irehdna wrote:
Why BOM-SFO? I think that would likely just become BOM-DEL-SFO. IMO while BLR-SFO is not likely either, it would make more sense than a flight from BOM.

Air India has some unwritten rule about serving intercontinental destinations from South India.

Irehdna

Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:33 pm

Also, I highly doubt a 77W can fly DEL-LAX nonstop. If a 77W could fly DEL-LAX/SFO, then it would have made much more sense for AI to make SFO 4x 77W rather than 6x 77L. I have read stories that even the JFK/EWR flights have weight restrictions sometimes and have to occasionally unload luggage or take a fuel stop.

IMO DEL-LAX makes much more sense than any US route starting in a city outside DEL. The last 77L can serve DEL-LAX 3/wk.

For AI to be considering BOM-SFO over routes like BOM-FRA/HKG/CDG/ORD/JFK seems absurd. I highly doubt this BOM-SFO will come to fruition any time soon.

timpdx

Mon Feb 05, 2018 5:50 pm

Can AI buy back the 772LRs that they sold to EY? Etihad is getting rid of them.
Flown 2018: LAX, ARN, DXB, ALA, TAS, UCG, ASB, MYP, GYD, TBS, KUT, BER, TLS, SVO, CCF, DUB, LGW MEX, BUR, PDX, ORD, SLC

babastud

Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:38 pm

This is great news! This will be a success, good work and make it happen AI...

devmapper

Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:08 pm

Irehdna wrote:
Also, I highly doubt a 77W can fly DEL-LAX nonstop. If a 77W could fly DEL-LAX/SFO, then it would have made much more sense for AI to make SFO 4x 77W rather than 6x 77L. I have read stories that even the JFK/EWR flights have weight restrictions sometimes and have to occasionally unload luggage or take a fuel stop.

IMO DEL-LAX makes much more sense than any US route starting in a city outside DEL. The last 77L can serve DEL-LAX 3/wk.

For AI to be considering BOM-SFO over routes like BOM-FRA/HKG/CDG/ORD/JFK seems absurd. I highly doubt this BOM-SFO will come to fruition any time soon.

Let AI load the schedules first. I am not sure a BOM-SFO route would survive the privatization process. Remember, the DEL-LAX flight was postponed to summer 2018 because they didn't have any aircraft capable of flying that route.

I think AI will probably look to fly 77Ls on the BOM-SFO route if that starts up. 77Ws have been used on the DEL-SFO route in the past, and I think AI is probably looking to use the old 77Ws on all 6 days on that route. DEL-LAX is likely to use the remaining new 77W (3x weekly).

Confirmation: https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/in ... 793127.cms

alan3

Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:11 pm

Slightly off topic (but in the same general world region)......would there ever be a need for an India to Fiji service, given the large Indian population in Fiji?

subramak1

Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:15 pm

alan3 wrote:
Slightly off topic (but in the same general world region)......would there ever be a need for an India to Fiji service, given the large Indian population in Fiji?

The VFR traffic is practically non existent. The people of Indian Origin in Fiji were moved there in late 19th century. There are not a lot of ties between the indentured laborers who live in Fiji and their ancestor's descendants in India.

Subu

vadodara

Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:42 pm

alan3 wrote:

There is a much larger diaspora between India and Africa, E. Africa in particular.

Previous govt.s were policies were not very helpful; with more liberal policies, traffic seems to have picked-up. Ethiopian Air is rapidly expanding India services.

If these trends continue, who knows, countries like Fiji and perhaps the Carribean Islands may see connectivity in distant future.

berari

Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:27 pm

vadodara wrote:
Previous govt.s were policies were not very helpful; with more liberal policies, traffic seems to have picked-up. Ethiopian Air is rapidly expanding India services.

Ethiopian recently received allocation for an extra 7 frequencies per week (currently operates 14 to Mumbai, 14 to Delhi) under the scheme to use up AI's unused allocations to a country with existing bilaterals., We have yet to see where Ethiopian will use these 7 frequencies that it recently acquired,

indcwby

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:27 pm

timpdx wrote:
Can AI buy back the 772LRs that they sold to EY? Etihad is getting rid of them.

Wouldn't be surprised by it and also, would be laughing if they pay for what they sold it for.
A319, A320, A330, A340, B717, B727, B737, B747, B757, B767, B777, CRJ7, DC10, MD88, MD11, E145, E175
"Always remember that you fly an airplane with your head, not your hands."

SA744

Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:33 pm

Maybe the SYD flight could have AKL as an add on, if pricing is affordable they could do pretty well on the route?

babastud

Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:24 am

Are they proposing starting this summer from BOM-SFO?

voxkel

Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:14 am

Is there a possibility that BOM-SF actually becomes BOM-SJC? Just like for NYC DEL goes to JFK but BOM goes to EWR? There is also a sizable Indian diaspora in the South Bay, in addition to a strong business/technology community in Santa Clara County.

Additionally, EWR (until June) and SJC are probably the only US airports near a strong S. Asian population that lack nonstop ME3 flights.

smi0006

Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:31 am

If AI do want to compete better for higher yielding traffic ex-AU they do need better frequency. 3 weekly doesn’t cut it against SQ,TG,MH who are all daily to several Indian cities.

SA744 wrote:
Maybe the SYD flight could have AKL as an add on, if pricing is affordable they could do pretty well on the route?

AI used to operate DEL-SYD-MEL-DEL one day and DEL-MEL-SYD-DEL the other day - they obviously aren’t opposed to tag on flights. However I’m sure their codeshare agreement with NZ covers the key Tasman markets. Any traffic they captured 5th freedom would be very low yielding

Sula123

Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:14 am

How much of a market is India-Australia for the ME3? Are they making it work with a combination of low prices and frequency/volume or does the backtracking it involves make it a market that doesn’t work so well for them?

unrave

Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:48 am

Sula123 wrote:
How much of a market is India-Australia for the ME3?

ME3 are not big players in the India-Australia market. The largest carrier by far is SQ, followed by MH and TG.
India: World's fastest growing major economy. World's fastest growing aviation market.

babastud

Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:28 pm

[quote="smi0006"]If AI do want to compete better for higher yielding traffic ex-AU they do need better frequency. 3 weekly doesn’t cut it against SQ,TG,MH who are all daily to several Indian cities.

I disagree the SFO-DEL flight started 3x a week then doubled to 6x a week and is currently one of AI most profitable international flights.

babastud

Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:33 pm

voxkel wrote:
Is there a possibility that BOM-SF actually becomes BOM-SJC? Just like for NYC DEL goes to JFK but BOM goes to EWR? There is also a sizable Indian diaspora in the South Bay, in addition to a strong business/technology community in Santa Clara County.

Additionally, EWR (until June) and SJC are probably the only US airports near a strong S. Asian population that lack nonstop ME3 flights.

SJC would not work, like SFO would. SFO would capture entire Bay Area + Plus connecting traffic LAX, PDX etc. I have no doubt that there are many Indians in the Valley, but where talking about a drive or train of 45 min to SFO it's a non-issue!

dredgy

Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:53 pm

Sula123 wrote:
How much of a market is India-Australia for the ME3? Are they making it work with a combination of low prices and frequency/volume or does the backtracking it involves make it a market that doesn’t work so well for them?

Australia-India traffic usually goes via Singapore or Thailand. Qantas codeshares with Jet Airways I think.
Last time I flew Air India SYD-DEL, business class had like 10 people in it and economy looked half empty. While it might have been out of the usual, I wasn't under the impression that the route was a roaring success.

killswitch13

Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:45 pm

BOM-SFO?? Another bluff I feel. They were supposed to start NBO and FRA last july as per their twitter handle.

yashk
Topic Author

Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:53 pm

The existing DEL-SFO flight is about to become a daily flight. Makes sense making this flight daily before starting new ones.
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/bus ... 807468.cms

tcaeyx

Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:13 pm

killswitch13 wrote:
BOM-SFO?? Another bluff I feel. They were supposed to start NBO and FRA last july as per their twitter handle.

Same goes for LAX. Are there any concrete plans for any of these cities to actually begin?

voxkel

Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:17 pm

babastud wrote:
voxkel wrote:

SJC would not work, like SFO would. SFO would capture entire Bay Area + Plus connecting traffic LAX, PDX etc. I have no doubt that there are many Indians in the Valley, but where talking about a drive or train of 45 min to SFO it's a non-issue!

AI chose to drop BOM-JFK in favour of BOM-EWR, going head to head with CO (now UA). There must have been a reason why they did that.

To drive on the 101 freeway from San Jose to SFO can be hellacious at times. Same goes for the Verrazano Bridge and Belt Parkway to JFK. Both drives would take about 1 hr under normal conditions. There are many people an businesses both in NJ and SV that would prefer a nonstop to SJC/EWR.

Irehdna

Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:22 pm

killswitch13 wrote:

Moral of the story is to not take any news about AI new flights seriously until it gets loaded into booking engines.

babastud

Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:40 pm

voxkel wrote:
babastud wrote:
voxkel wrote:

AI chose to drop BOM-JFK in favour of BOM-EWR, going head to head with CO (now UA). There must have been a reason why they did that.

To drive on the 101 freeway from San Jose to SFO can be hellacious at times. Same goes for the Verrazano Bridge and Belt Parkway to JFK. Both drives would take about 1 hr under normal conditions. There are many people an businesses both in NJ and SV that would prefer a nonstop to SJC/EWR.

Because NJ is full of Indians! and EWR is a closer and easier trip for them. Moreover, EWR is a star alliance hub, and connection hub.

Granted the 101 can be "hell" at times, an ultra-long thin route like SJC to India has to rely solely on Premium pax, even though their is a ton of money in the Valley I don't think the full demand is their especially that it goes both way's meaning how many from the North, east and SF are going to trek down to SJC to catch a flight? Moreover, the AI flight pulls in a ton of Connections from LA, and so easy with so many LA-SF flights.

You also have to think about what it cost for separate staff, offices, etc at SJC. When you already have a system up and running at SFO, the cost is minimal. Why split your Ops!

devmapper

Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:41 pm

babastud wrote:
Granted the 101 can be "hell" at times, an ultra-long thin route like SJC to India has to rely solely on Premium pax, even though their is a ton of money in the Valley I don't think the full demand is their especially that it goes both way's meaning how many from the North, east and SF are going to trek down to SJC to catch a flight? Moreover, the AI flight pulls in a ton of Connections from LA, and so easy with so many LA-SF flights.

You also have to think about what it cost for separate staff, offices, etc at SJC. When you already have a system up and running at SFO, the cost is minimal. Why split your Ops!

India-bound passengers may work in the valley, but they live predominantly in the communities south east of the bay (think Milpitas, Fremont, Union City, etc. towards San Leandro and Alameda). To such passengers, travel times to SFO vs SJC is a wash, perhaps even skewed towards SFO.

Irehdna

Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:47 pm

Latest rumor is that AI is considering 9/wk DEL-SFO. Looks like BOM-SFO plans have (predictably) dropped.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/bus ... 962557.cms

Still surprised there is more demand out of SFO than JFK/ORD. For a while I was thinking they would add a 2nd morning flight out of JFK as that has historicaly been AI's prestige US destination. IIRC for several years the only US nonstops were to JFK/ORD.

Sightseer

Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:23 am

Irehdna wrote:
Latest rumor is that AI is considering 9/wk DEL-SFO.

Not a rumor. Per this week's OAG thread DEL-SFO goes 9x weekly starting in April.

legacyins

Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:40 am

Irehdna wrote:
Latest rumor is that AI is considering 9/wk DEL-SFO. Looks like BOM-SFO plans have (predictably) dropped.

Still surprised there is more demand out of SFO than JFK/ORD. For a while I was thinking they would add a 2nd morning flight out of JFK as that has historicaly been AI's prestige US destination. IIRC for several years the only US nonstops were to JFK/ORD.

Per the recent OAG thread, looks like the increase will start in April.

AI SFO-DEL APR 0.9>1.3 MAY 0.8>1.3 JUN 0.9>1.3 JUL 0.8>1.3 AUG 0.9>1.3 SEP 0.9>1.3 OCT 0.8>1.2

looking at the AI site, looks like a 1800 departure from DEL with a 2030 arrival into SFO. Depart SFO 0100 with arrival into DEL 0600 +1

hayzel777

Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:42 am

legacyins wrote:
Irehdna wrote:

Per the recent OAG thread, looks like the increase will start in April.

AI SFO-DEL APR 0.9>1.3 MAY 0.8>1.3 JUN 0.9>1.3 JUL 0.8>1.3 AUG 0.9>1.3 SEP 0.9>1.3 OCT 0.8>1.2

looking at the AI site, looks like a 1800 departure from DEL with a 2030 arrival into SFO. Depart SFO 0100 with arrival into DEL 0600 +1

Pretty much the only time In the G terminal that is not heavily congested/full.

Irehdna

Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:30 am

Yes it is in the booking engine now.

AI183 = DEL (18:00) to SFO (20:30)
AI184 = SFO (01:00) to DEL (06:00+2)

Tuesday and Friday will have DEL-SFO double-daily. IIRC this would be the first India-US nonstop flight that doesn't fly through the night (AC DEL-YVR is a similar daytime flight).

legacyins

Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:44 am

Irehdna wrote:
Yes it is in the booking engine now.

AI183 = DEL (18:00) to SFO (20:30)
AI184 = SFO (01:00) to DEL (06:00+2)

Tuesday and Friday will have DEL-SFO double-daily. IIRC this would be the first India-US nonstop flight that doesn't fly through the night (AC DEL-YVR is a similar daytime flight).

The double Flights will be on Saturday and Sunday. The new Tuesday flight will have the new flight schedule though.

Irehdna

Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:46 am

Though to be fair, I actually think AI183/184 are much better timed than 173/174. The only real advantage of AI173 vs AI183 is that it arrives at SFO in the morning. But this entails a 4:30am departure from DEL.

I think many will laud the idea of landing in India at sunrise, something even most connecting flights cannot offer.

tullamarine

Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:49 am

Direct services from Australia to India are of limited value because typically pax between the 2 are travelling to a number of cities in each country. That is why the scissor hub operation by both QF/9W and SQ in SIN works so well. Flights from MEL/SYD/PER/BNE land into SIN with convenient connections to DEL,BOM,BLR etc. This works in reverse also. AI's current service to DEL is fine if DEL is your destination but otherwise you have to transfer onto what is often a chaotic domestic service to your ultimate destination and no time is saved.
717, 721/2, 732/3/4/5/7/8/9, 742/3/4, 752/3, 762/3, 772/E/W, 789, 300,310, 319,320/1, 332/3, 359, 388, DC9, DC10, F28, F100, 142,143, E90, CR2, D82/3/4, SF3, ATR

Irehdna

Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:51 am

tullamarine wrote:
Direct services from Australia to India are of limited value because typically pax between the 2 are travelling to a number of cities in each country. That is why the scissor hub operation by both QF/9W and SQ in SIN works so well. Flights from MEL/SYD/PER/BNE land into SIN with convenient connections to DEL,BOM,BLR etc. This works in reverse also. AI's current service to DEL is fine if DEL is your destination but otherwise you have to transfer onto what is often a chaotic domestic service to your ultimate destination and no time is saved.

Agreed. DEL is not a very efficient scissor hub for Australia as most of India is closer to Australia than DEL. DEL works for USA as the US flights come in and out from the north. Connecting in DEL for XXX-DEL-SYD is very analogous to a hypothetical itinerary like XXX-BOM-JFK. The city most in line of the direct flight path will naturally become the preferred scissor hub.

planemanofnz

Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:55 am

SA744 wrote:

smi0006 wrote:
I’m sure their codeshare agreement with NZ covers the key Tasman markets.

IMO, it is more likely that AI will fly directly from DEL to AKL, by-passing SYD.

tullamarine wrote:

But DEL has connecting flights to far more Indian destinations than SIN does?

See: http://www.airindia.in/domestic-network.htm.

Cheers,

C.

Irehdna

Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:59 am

planemanofnz wrote:
IMO, it is more likely that AI will fly directly from DEL to AKL, by-passing SYD.

DEL-AKL is 12495km, which is longer than even DEL-SFO (12402km) and would need a 77L. With the new frequency increases at SFO I don't see a DEL-AKL flight happening anytime soon.

planemanofnz

Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:16 am

Irehdna wrote:
planemanofnz wrote:

DEL-AKL is 12495km, which is longer than even DEL-SFO (12402km) and would need a 77L. With the new frequency increases at SFO I don't see a DEL-AKL flight happening anytime soon.

Could a 788 do it? Boeing lists the 788's range as 7,355 nm, while AKL - DEL is only 6,747 nm. Obviously winds and AI's 14 additional seats over Boeing's standard configuration might impact this. The 77W might also be able to do it, as AKL - DEL is shorter than routes like HKG - JFK, which CX uses such an aircraft on.

Cheers

C.

Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:03 am

DEL-SFO increase? Or is it Mumbai? Sounds to me that AI is trying to head off UA from serving Silicon Valley-India while they still can; at least if the rumors are true. They may not have the right equipment or even planes to serve the route(s) but they want to make sure UA doesn't out of their SFO hub.

unrave

Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:34 am

planemanofnz wrote:
But DEL has connecting flights to far more Indian destinations than SIN does?

It does, but there are two major issues with DEL:
Geography. Since most of India is closer to Australia than DEL, connecting there would involve significant backtracking.
Major Indian airports are generally too congested at peak hours so clearing immigration often involves long waits. Many passengers who fly to smaller airports prefer to connect abroad and fly to their destination direct, where immigration queues are usually much shorter owing to limited number of international flights.
India: World's fastest growing major economy. World's fastest growing aviation market.

BawliBooch

Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:53 am

vadodara wrote:
There is a much larger diaspora between India and Africa, E. Africa in particular.

Any figures to back that up? What % of the traffic on the India-Africa routes are coming from the Indian diaspora and what part of it is coming from increased business traffic and the booming medical tourism industry?

Much of the Indian diaspora in Africa with links to India have been lost to India since Idi Amin days, most of whom moved on to UK/US/Canada. 2nd/3rd gen Indian's who have grown up abroad have few links to India, if any.

Incidentally, the country with the largest Indian community in the continent, South Africa, has no direct flights to India that I know of. Jet used to operate, but that quietly went away. Most Indian's I know used to go with EK but ET is now becoming the preferred choice.

vadodara wrote:
If these trends continue, who knows, countries like Fiji and perhaps the Carribean Islands may see connectivity in distant future.

:roll: Visit Fiji sometime and talk to the Indian origin people there. Most have lived there for 90-150 years and have no links to the villages their ancestors left. Unlike the prosperous Gujarati communities who ventured into Africa (thus could afford an annual trip back "home"), most of the Fiji Indian community came from the areas which are now Jharkhand and Jaunpur area of UP - which are piss poor even today.

Irrespective of the current govt's supposed "liberal" policies, there is absolutely ZERO chance of a non-stop flight from Nadi to Ranchi or Kinshasa to Porbandar. :lol:
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle! on twitter @Banwaarilal

BawliBooch

Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:59 am

Back when I last checked, the cheapest fare to Australia from BLR was on Air Asia via KUL, followed by Tiger Airlines. Jet+SQ via SIN was a close third.

Air India was not even the fourth or fifth in line in terms of price. EK had cheaper fare, backtracking via DXB. AI is pricing themselves out of markets or they are doing exceptionally well.
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle! on twitter @Banwaarilal

Irehdna

Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:27 am

The fact that AI will operate more capacity on DEL-SFO than BOM-LHR serves as a testament to the airline's focuses these days. Personally I can't complain as it does make sense to focus on one hub, but it is nonetheless interesting to have seen BOM slowly lose its AI hub status to 9W and international carriers.

There were days that BOM-LHR was served by a daily B744 nonstop by AI, in addition to a 3-4x weekly B744 that continued to either ORD or EWR. Now there is only 1x B788 nonstop . (Technically, AI171 operates BOM-AMD-LHR-EWR but the BOM-AMD has a different flight number AI31. Almost always, the aircraft used for AI31 continues onto AI171.)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos