boeing773er

Re: American Airlines Wants to Grow in Charlotte

Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:53 pm

rbavfan wrote:
boeing773er wrote:
gunnerman wrote:
Is AA expanding at CLT because the low-cost carriers have been making life difficult by expanding at PHL?

I don’t think that’s the case, AA just added a bunch of new cities for PHL. With adding Euro destinations AA is beefing up their Midwest presence from PHL.

If anything AA is really capitalizing on their size and making PHL/CLT into even larger connecting hubs than they already were.

You realize Philidelphia is not in the Midwest, it's in the east.

Really you don’t say. I’ve been confused about where I live for the longest time.

[/sarcasm]

While AA is a little full on the east coast with hubs, each has its own purpose and doesn’t conflict with each other.

The legacy AA hubs are all there for O&D markets and then the old US hubs are very successful connecting hubs that still serve a decent sized market (minus DCA). That’s something that we didn’t get through the DL/NW or UA/CO. I think that each AA hub is going to play a key role in the future of the airline.
Work Hard, Fly Right.

flyfresno

Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:05 pm

I’m sure that AA likes the expand-ability of CLT vs PHL. There is plenty of room to add a fifth (although likely fourth as 5/23 would probably close) runway and many more gates. PHL is highly constrained in both facets. Charlotte has a ways to go, and I’m sure this is a very long term plan, but AA could grow CLT to rival ATL if the metro area continues to grow with it. Lots of money in and around CLT...

william
Topic Author

Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:24 pm

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/b ... 15859.html

Makes more room for AA to grow though AA will not be using the new gates.

Ryefly

Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:36 pm

Due to a lack of available gates at CLT, American should increase the available seats it provides on many routes, especially to CLT's largest markets until more gates become available. More A321's, 757's, less A319's and 737's. There are a lot of major routes still using regional jets that should be upgadged as well. CLT-LGA is one route that comes to mind. They currently have a CRJ-900's at certain times. This route should be all A321's. It's too bad American doesn't have a domestic plane in their fleet in the 220-250 seat range. They could use about 25 of them through out their network.

A lot of international routes are undersized as well. The article states that CLT international travelers rank 16th for paying premium fares. If they provided more premium seats they would sell more. American only offers the A332 or A333 for it's trans-atlantic flights. Both have the smallest business class in American's entire international fleet. A332 20 business class, 21 premium economy, A333, 28 business class, 0 premium economy.

CLT has some big plans in its future. They will address a lot of the concerns in regards to overcrowding , overall appearance, and taxi delays over the next four years.

CitizenJustin

Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:49 pm

JetBlueCLT wrote:
As expected. I’m still looking for all those people blabbing to me CLT would’ve been de-hubbed by now.

AA should be picking up 5 or 6 gates on A concourse this summer. That should help them out a lot.

I believe DFW will take a back seat behind Charlotte at some point in the future. On peak travel days when AA has 10 banks out of CLT their push hint about 720 flights with that. When I say peak travel days I’m referring to thanksgiving, Christmas and also certain days in the summer AA ran a midnight bank. With AA picking up more gates and the airport eventually building them more they’ll definitely have the room.

That’s a pretty big prediction, and I don’t think it will happen. DFW is positioned better geographically to handle connections, both domestic and international. DFW is the darling of American and will always be.

SESGDL

Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:02 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
JetBlueCLT wrote:
As expected. I’m still looking for all those people blabbing to me CLT would’ve been de-hubbed by now.

AA should be picking up 5 or 6 gates on A concourse this summer. That should help them out a lot.

I believe DFW will take a back seat behind Charlotte at some point in the future. On peak travel days when AA has 10 banks out of CLT their push hint about 720 flights with that. When I say peak travel days I’m referring to thanksgiving, Christmas and also certain days in the summer AA ran a midnight bank. With AA picking up more gates and the airport eventually building them more they’ll definitely have the room.

That’s a pretty big prediction, and I don’t think it will happen. DFW is positioned better geographically to handle connections, both domestic and international. DFW is the darling of American and will always be.

Agreed. In the near term, CLT simply doesn't have the demographics nor the economics to overtake DFW in scale or importance as an overall travel market. DFW will eventually rival CHI as one of the nation's largest cities and economies. It's also centrally located to capture almost all East-West connecting traffic flows. CLT is a great connecting location and an enormous hub due to its low costs, location and lack of competition, however, in an economic downturn, I think CLT will be one of the first hubs to be trimmed because it's so reliant on high-volume connecting flows. Having such a small O&D base to drive premium fares puts it at a strong disadvantage in a weak economic environment, something that won't be as detrimental to larger markets like ATL and DFW. That said, CLT is a fantastic hub and an enormous asset to AA, probably the biggest gain from the merger with HP.

Jeremy

CitizenJustin

Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:04 pm

I seem to be one of the only people here who doesn’t think CLT will ever become a mega hub. It serves a purpose, it’s growing, and CLT is on fire, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. I can see it becoming another DEN, but more than that? Nah.

afcjets

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:34 pm

AVLAirlineFreq wrote:
One of the most commonly suggested ideas on a.net for relieving some of the congestion at CLT is to convert runway 5/23 into a taxiway, which theoretically would help congestion to and from Concourse E in particular. To the best of a.net knowledge, has that idea ever been seriously considered by the airport? How often is 5/23 used as an active runway?

Yes, closing 5/23 is in the master plan. They also plan to build two more parallel runways one between 18R/36L and 18C/36C and another one just to the east on 18L/36R. Further out they plan to have four long parrallel satelitte concourses, almost an exact replica of ATL when it first opened with just concourses A-D (excluding the T concourse which was half the length it is now) and some of them would extend onto the other side of 5/23.

5/23 is not used much anymore except for landing on runway 23 (actually AA may use it for takeoff too on their somewhat recent midnight bank to avoid the trek over to 18R/36L, which I have only seen used for landing). It has very rarely been used at all during the past 30 years or so for takeoff to the SW, except during curfew hours before the new 18R/36L opened. It was not uncommon for red eye arrivals to land from the SW on runway 5 though, at least before the current 18R/36L existed.

Before 6/20/79, there was only 5/23 and 18/36 (which is now 18L/36R and was extended during the 90s) and they were approximately the same length. Ironically, in the early 1970s and likely earlier too 5/23 was the preferred and most often used runway.

Way back I believe there was another shorter crosswind runway too before even the previous terminal from the 1950s opened.

SESGDL

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:31 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
I seem to be one of the only people here who doesn’t think CLT will ever become a mega hub. It serves a purpose, it’s growing, and CLT is on fire, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. I can see it becoming another DEN, but more than that? Nah.

You don't consider the third largest hub in the world a megahub?

Jeremy

grbauc

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:42 pm

jetero wrote:
william wrote:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/tedreed/2018/01/31/american-airlines-wants-to-grow-in-charlotte-the-airport-is-building-as-fast-as-it-can/#22533ee14a2d

Remember when AA was merging with US and all the talk of shutting down Charlotte as a hub? Seems like AA is really like Charlotte but needs more room.

Remember when Delta and United said no hubs were going to be shut down?

What's your point?

Nobody ever credibly thought CLT was going anywhere.

Not even close many many of us understand it’s role.

grbauc

Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:57 pm

jplatts wrote:
There are also opportunities for further expansion by AA's competitors at CLT, including by DL, UA, and WN.

WN could also add CLT-PHX nonstop service if the demand is there for additional service to CLT in Greater Phoenix, the San Francisco Bay Area, Greater Sacramento, and Greater San Diego since PHX is one of the top destinations from CLT, since WN has nonstop service from PHX to destinations that AA does not serve nonstop from PHX, since there are some travelers in Greater Phoenix who prefer to fly on WN over AA, and since many California travelers outside of Greater Los Angeles prefer to fly on airlines other than AA.

WN could also add CLT-FLL nonstop service in order to better connect CLT to WN's international destinations, and WN could also add CLT-STL nonstop service with WN having a focus city at STL, with many St. Louis-area customers who prefer to fly on WN over AA, and to connect passengers to destinations that WN serves nonstop from STL but not from MDW or BNA.

DL could add nonstop service from CLT to its SEA and LAX hubs, but AA already has a hub at LAX and more market share than DL does at LAX. On the other hand, DL does have nonstop service from its SEA hub to destinations in Alaska and the Pacific Northwest that AA does not serve, and in addition, there are some customers in Seattle who prefer to fly on DL over AA with the recent expansion of DL's SEA hub.

UA could add nonstop service from CLT to SFO since San Francisco-based Wells Fargo has a significant presence in Charlotte, and in addition, there are many major hi-tech companies based in Silicon Valley who do business in Greater Charlotte with Bank of America being headquartered in Charlotte and with Wells Fargo having significant operations in Charlotte. UA would also be able to connect passengers onto Air China, ANA, and Asiana flights to Asia as well as Air New Zealand flights to New Zealand if it adds CLT-SFO nonstop service. UA also serves some smaller regional destinations in California and Oregon that AA does not serve through its SFO hub.

Why does AA need to expand at CLT if there are opportunities for further expansion by DL, UA, and WN at CLT? Is AA wanting to further expand at CLT in order to provide additional service for local Charlotte-area travelers who are loyal to AA and who usually fly on only AA? Is AA wanting to further expand at CLT in order to connect passengers to and from destinations that WN does not serve?

Your use of the word prefer WN over AA outside of the greater LA Area I disagree with. Sometimes it’s just the only option. I think your reading to much into that. HP/US/AA KNOW Well how compete with WN. WN seems focused on international flights right now CLT I’m not sure so much.

milemaster

Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:24 pm

SESGDL wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

Jeremy

Third largest hub in the world? I believe it's fourth by connecting flight count. Not in the top 10 by any other metric (passengers, gates, routes, etc). Perhaps I am wrong.

CLTflier

Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:42 pm

Definitely encouraging information. Don't think CLT will surpass DFW or ATL but it is exciting to watch the hub grow. United is missing out big time with no hub in the south

gunnerman

Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:58 pm

UA once had a sizeable operation at MIA but downsized it.

ADrum23

Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:16 pm

CLTflier wrote:
Definitely encouraging information. Don't think CLT will surpass DFW or ATL but it is exciting to watch the hub grow. United is missing out big time with no hub in the south

UA needs to go to BNA and begin building a hub there. They won't, but they should.

jplatts

Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:28 pm

grbauc wrote:
Your use of the word prefer WN over AA outside of the greater LA Area I disagree with. Sometimes it’s just the only option. I think your reading to much into that. HP/US/AA KNOW Well how compete with WN. WN seems focused on international flights right now CLT I’m not sure so much.

WN is the only airline to serve MDW, HOU, and MKE nonstop from LAX, but AA, UA, and NK all do serve both ORD and IAH nonstop from LAX, and ORD additionally also has nonstop service from LAX on AS and F9.

AA is the only airline to serve its CLT hub nonstop from LAX, and in addition, AA is also the only airline to serve DRO, EGE, FLG, BDL, MBJ, and GRU nonstop from LAX.

CLTflier

Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:46 am

jplatts wrote:
grbauc wrote:

WN is the only airline to serve MDW, HOU, and MKE nonstop from LAX, but AA, UA, and NK all do serve both ORD and IAH nonstop from LAX, and ORD additionally also has nonstop service from LAX on AS and F9.

AA is the only airline to serve its CLT hub nonstop from LAX, and in addition, AA is also the only airline to serve DRO, EGE, FLG, BDL, MBJ, and GRU nonstop from LAX.

And...?

jplatts

Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:58 am

CLTflier wrote:
jplatts wrote:
grbauc wrote:

And...?

I agree with grbauc's point that AA is sometimes the only option for travel to CLT or smaller regional destinations not served by DL, UA, or WN, but WN can connect passengers to CLT from at least OAK, LAX, SAN, LAS, PHX, and DEN through DAL, HOU, MDW, and BNA. In addition, DL does serve SLC nonstop from CLT, and DL can connect passengers to the West Coast from CLT through its SLC and ATL hubs. UA also has nonstop service to its DEN and IAH hubs from CLT, and UA can connect passengers to destinations west of the Rocky Mountains through DEN and IAH.

OneAA

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:10 am

JetBlueCLT wrote:

Laughing at the dreams of the above Charlotte booster.
CLT average weekday is 640 flights now. DFW average weekday is 803 flights now. DFW continues to grow, so while CLT certainly can and will grow, it won't become the center of the network as DFW is. A metro of 7 million (DFW) vs a metro of 2 million (CLT). DFW has premium travelers, while Charlotte's low cost help in connect many "kettle" from small southern cities. DFW nonstops to places like Hong Kong, Peking, Tokyo, Santiago, Lina, Buenos Aires....not going to happen from CLT. Won't even go into the cargo carried in the bellies through DFW which is one of the world's largest logistics centers, vs Charlotte.....the difference in numbers and dollars is staggering!!!!! Funny how an article on CLT growth becomes "CLT will be AA's biggest hub". Great humor read tonight.

OneAA

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:25 am

OneAA wrote:
JetBlueCLT wrote:

CLT average weekday is 640 flights now. DFW average weekday is 803 flights now. DFW continues to grow, so while CLT certainly can and will grow, it won't become the center of the network as DFW is. A metro of 7 million (DFW) vs a metro of 2 million (CLT). DFW has premium travelers, while Charlotte's low cost help in connect many "kettle" from small southern cities. DFW nonstops to places like Hong Kong, Peking, Tokyo, Santiago, Lima, Buenos Aires....not going to happen from CLT. Won't even go into the cargo carried in the bellies through DFW which is one of the world's largest logistics centers, vs Charlotte.....the difference in numbers and dollars is staggering!!!!! Funny how an article on CLT growth becomes "CLT will be AA's biggest hub". Great humor read tonight.

DaufuskieGuy

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:30 am

SESGDL wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

Jeremy

DEN is greater than CLT by 14 million, are you claiming CLT is larger because AA handles more than UA at DEN?

CLTflier

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:37 am

OneAA wrote:
JetBlueCLT wrote:

CLT average weekday is 640 flights now. DFW average weekday is 803 flights now. DFW continues to grow, so while CLT certainly can and will grow, it won't become the center of the network as DFW is. A metro of 7 million (DFW) vs a metro of 2 million (CLT). DFW has premium travelers, while Charlotte's low cost help in connect many "kettle" from small southern cities. DFW nonstops to places like Hong Kong, Peking, Tokyo, Santiago, Lina, Buenos Aires....not going to happen from CLT. Won't even go into the cargo carried in the bellies through DFW which is one of the world's largest logistics centers, vs Charlotte.....the difference in numbers and dollars is staggering!!!!! Funny how an article on CLT growth becomes "CLT will be AA's biggest hub". Great humor read tonight.

People like you were the ones saying "CLT will get dehubbed because of MIA" "CLT can't support 600+flights the local market is way too small" "the O&D market is tiny and low-yield" blah blah blah blah. Now we have people saying it's too crowded and dirty. It's not called the dirty south for nothing. Something amazing is going on down here and not just with the airport. People are moving here rapidly so you'll see the O&D base grow and the airport is accommodating growth

milemaster

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:42 am

CLTflier wrote:
People like you were the ones saying "CLT will get dehubbed because of MIA" "CLT can't support 600+flights the local market is way too small" "the O&D market is tiny and low-yield" blah blah blah blah. Now we have people saying it's too crowded and dirty. It's not called the dirty south for nothing. Something amazing is going on down here and not just with the airport. People are moving here rapidly so you'll see the O&D base grow and the airport is accommodating growth

LOL.

afcjets

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:45 am

DaufuskieGuy wrote:

DEN is greater than CLT by 14 million, are you claiming CLT is larger because AA handles more than UA at DEN?

From the article:

"Vasu Raja, American's vice president for network and schedule planning, said in an e-mail.

“But over time, as we get more capacity at the airport, we will grow the hub,” Raja said. “Charlotte is the third-largest hub on earth and is extremely successful""

Raja means CLT is the third largest single airline hub.
Last edited by afcjets on Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

afcjets

Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:04 am

OneAA wrote:
DFW nonstops to places like Hong Kong, Peking, Tokyo, Santiago, Lina, Buenos Aires....not going to happen from CLT.

DFW is in a great location to connect high yielding business travel between Asia and South America which AA is targeting. CLT will likely have a flight to Asia within the next ten years. GIG already happened and is smaller than EZE.

FSDan

Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:10 am

afcjets wrote:
DaufuskieGuy wrote:

From the article:

"Vasu Raja, American's vice president for network and schedule planning, said in an e-mail.

“But over time, as we get more capacity at the airport, we will grow the hub,” Raja said. “Charlotte is the third-largest hub on earth and is extremely successful""

Raja means CLT is the third largest single airline hub.

Raja is using a metric that suits his needs - daily departure count. By that measure, AA's CLT hub is the third busiest in the world (behind DL's ~1,000 departures from ATL and AA's ~800 departures from DFW). But the average seats per departure at CLT is going to be quite a bit lower than some other hubs. For example, I'd have to run the math to be sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if UA's ORD or IAH hubs had more daily seats than AA's CLT hub. When looking at ASMs, CLT certainly doesn't come out near the top.

It sound to me like the CLT to DEN comparison is being made based on total passenger numbers. That's a different metric, and DEN's makeup is significantly different from CLTs. Using some very rough numbers, DEN = 420 UA + 200 WN + 60 F9 + 80 OAL; CLT = 650 AA + 70 OAL. So CLT is a larger hub in that AA's hub operation there is simply much bigger than the largest hub operation at DEN (UA). However, DEN has more flights overall and larger average aircraft gauge.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

us330

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:08 am

afcjets wrote:
OneAA wrote:
DFW nonstops to places like Hong Kong, Peking, Tokyo, Santiago, Lina, Buenos Aires....not going to happen from CLT.

DFW is in a great location to connect high yielding business travel between Asia and South America which AA is targeting. CLT will likely have a flight to Asia within the next ten years. GIG already happened and is smaller than EZE.

US tried CLT-GIG and it didn't work out so well. AA can only make DFW-GIG work on a seasonal basis. I don't see much in the way of future AA deep South American expansion from CLT--but if they do, it won't be to GIG, which is more leisure oriented than GRU or EZE.

Given the joint venture with JAL, I could see a potential 3x weekly NRT-CLT with a 788 if the CLT only spokes could support such a service--but that will likely only occur after NRT-MIA.

ADrum23

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:18 am

The thing is, how big will AA realistically grow at CLT? Isn't there an upper limit that they could grow to before the market just can't support anything bigger? I mean, some are talking about growing it into an ATL-sized hub, but CLT is not even half the population of the ATL market.

UpNAWAy

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:28 am

Here is the deal on AA hubs. They all have some kind of growth restraint, which is why they all will keep growing. Each one is unique and can pick up slack from each other and be tailored to maximize it's strengths. LAX, ORD, CLT with the biggest space issues right now (although all have construction underway and more planned). DFW and PHL can add the most flights right now. PHX can be used as both a LAX and DFW connecting reliever so those two can focus on the better yielding flights.

ADrum23

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:58 am

UpNAWAy wrote:
Here is the deal on AA hubs. They all have some kind of growth restraint, which is why they all will keep growing. Each one is unique and can pick up slack from each other and be tailored to maximize it's strengths. LAX, ORD, CLT with the biggest space issues right now (although all have construction underway and more planned). DFW and PHL can add the most flights right now. PHX can be used as both a LAX and DFW connecting reliever so those two can focus on the better yielding flights.

AA needs to build PHL into a much larger operation IMO. Dump the JFK hub (expect for hub flights and LHR) and build PHL into the primary northeastern hub.

acentauri

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:01 am

ADrum23 wrote:
AA needs to build PHL into a much larger operation IMO. Dump the JFK hub (expect for hub flights and LHR) and build PHL into the primary northeastern hub.

Huh? I thought it already was.

DUDEofJETS

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:05 am

I'm retired from AA. (HP) I'm going on a cruise that ends in SJU; I looked at the loads over a month ago and decided to buy a ticket. Yep, the CLT hub really has a lot of Caribbean traffic during the winter!

strfyr51

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:12 am

CLT ia a financial hub and Banking center, It should be expanded for International connections if for no other reason!!

soflaflyer

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:45 am

william wrote:
http://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/article197415859.html

Makes more room for AA to grow though AA will not be using the new gates.

If I am understanding all of the comments in the various postings, AA will be getting gates on A vacated by UA, WN, F9, B6, & AC; equally splitting the existing 13 gates with DL for a net gain of 6-7 gates. With an average utilization of 8 flights/gate they could theoretically support 48-56 additional flights. Is that the plan as you all understand it?

jetmatt777

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:50 am

DUDEofJETS wrote:
I'm retired from AA. (HP) I'm going on a cruise that ends in SJU; I looked at the loads over a month ago and decided to buy a ticket. Yep, the CLT hub really has a lot of Caribbean traffic during the winter!

I'm booked on a cruise terminating in SJU also. Was surprised that the flights are relatively full, too.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

usflyer msp

Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:07 am

strfyr51 wrote:
CLT ia a financial hub and Banking center, It should be expanded for International connections if for no other reason!!

CLT is a domestic financial hub and Banking center...

The bank employees in CLT are generally taking business trips to Des Moines and Albany not London and Sao Paulo. The CLT banking industry is not a major supporter of intercontinental flights...

IndyHoosier

Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:25 am

usflyer msp wrote:
strfyr51 wrote:

CLT is a domestic financial hub and Banking center...

The bank employees in CLT are generally taking business trips to Des Moines and Albany not London and Sao Paulo. The CLT banking industry is not a major supporter of intercontinental flights...

I was about to post the same exact thing. It's like the people in Indy that think we should have a flight to Tokyo because there are Japanese auto plants and suppliers here, lol.

chrisair

Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:45 am

PPVRA wrote:
CLT needs a makeover the likes LGA is receiving. Total makeover.

Believe me, it's coming. Every time I fly through something changes.

Once everything is done in the year 2910, they'll start again until the year 3000.

CitizenJustin

Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:23 pm

SESGDL wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

Jeremy

CLT isn’t the third largest hub in the world. Maybe the third largest in the American Airlines system, but not even close to being in the top 10 worldwide.

afcjets

Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:47 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:

CLT isn’t the third largest hub in the world. Maybe the third largest in the American Airlines system, but not even close to being in the top 10 worldwide.

So besides DL at ATL, and AA at DFW, what airline has more departures from an airport than AA at CLT?

SESGDL

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:02 pm

DaufuskieGuy wrote:
SESGDL wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

Jeremy

I said the hub was bigger, not the airport. DEN is at minimum a hub to two airlines.

Jeremy

SESGDL

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:04 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
SESGDL wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

Jeremy

CLT is the 3rd largest hub in the country and certainly in the top 10 worldwide. I’d like to hear what hubs you think are larger.

Jeremy

us330

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:32 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
DUDEofJETS wrote:

I'm booked on a cruise terminating in SJU also. Was surprised that the flights are relatively full, too.

That's because of traditionally high demand from the mid-Atlantic/northeast US to the Caribbean during winter months. CLT is a natural spot to connect the LUS network there with flights to the Caribbean, while leaving the higher yielding traffic to Miami.

sagechan

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:38 pm

Sometimes things are as the seem. CLT excels at what it does, which is connected people to the southeast, north/south along the east coast, key Western cities and carribean. As it grows CLT will gain upgauging (probably more on the RJ side) to existing cities, expand to small and medium Midwest and central US cities, probably more carribean as CLT gains a flight to cities served through MIA already, and remains a good summer European capacity valve. There is a lot of room to grow both flights and seata from CLT without making any chamges to what its focus is.
717, 733, 734, 738, 744, 752, 763, 772, 77W, 789, A319, A320, A321, A332, A333, A359, MD88, CRJ, CR7, CR9, DH1, DH2, DH3, S340, ER4, E170, E175, E190/CO, NW, US, AC, NH, AA, UA, DL, WN, WS, SK, VY, LA, QF, AR, AV, MH, KA

windian425

Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:15 pm

BGI is rumored to be getting increased frequency from CLT next winter with at least 4x weekly flights.

CitizenJustin

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:06 pm

SESGDL wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:
SESGDL wrote:

Jeremy

CLT is the 3rd largest hub in the country and certainly in the top 10 worldwide. I’d like to hear what hubs you think are larger.

Jeremy

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... er_traffic

CLT is the 9th busiest airport in the United States and 31st in the world. Not even close to number 3 in the U.S, which belongs to ORD.

jbs2886

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:45 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
SESGDL wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

Jeremy

CLT is the 9th busiest airport in the United States and 31st in the world. Not even close to number 3 in the U.S, which belongs to ORD.

I suspect 3rd largest hub (i.e., connections), not airport.

FSDan

Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:02 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
SESGDL wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

Jeremy

The problem is that everyone is comparing apples to oranges! Are we measuring by hub traffic (i.e. one airline's operation) or total traffic, passengers or departure numbers? CLT is the third biggest hub in the world *by AA's departure count*. DL has more departures from ATL. AA has more departures from DFW. Then after that, no other airline in the world has more departures from a single airport than AA at CLT. DEN is bigger than CLT by total departures (across all airlines) and by total passenger traffic. But the biggest hub operation at DEN (UA) is much smaller than AA at CLT. I don't have hard data to support this next claim, but I would think CLT is unlikely to be the 3rd biggest hub in the world if we're looking at passenger counts. Hubs like BA at LHR have far fewer departures, but aircraft that are probably 2-3 times as large on average (at least!). Finally, if we're measuring hub size by ASMs, forget CLT being in the mix at the top.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

DaufuskieGuy

Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:43 pm

CLT is in many way's like CVG of yesteryear, high % of connecting traffic and smaller planes and limited (Europe only) intercon service. Difference is CLT area is growing and AA is committed to it while DL abandoned CVG. Given the much larger population at EWR, IAH and PHL you'd think AA and UA could eventually surpass AA at CLT, restrictions at EWR/PHL are runways, IAH is hindered by DFW and southern geography. Just like IAD, adding more runways at CLT is not going to increase departures unless AA wants to do that, and from reading the boards here it doesn't appear there are many if any new destinations to add.

SESGDL

Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:14 pm

CitizenJustin wrote:
SESGDL wrote:
CitizenJustin wrote:

Jeremy

HUB. I didn't say airport, I said hub. ORD is a busier airport, but AA's "HUB" at CLT is larger than UA's HUB and AA's HUB in ORD. Not understanding how there's confusion on this.

Jeremy

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos