Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SurlyBonds

Re: Will Hawaii see Flights to Europe?

Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:35 pm

I believe this route will eventually happen, for several reasons.

1. First off, the idea that "Europeans won't fly long-haul to leisure destinations" is ridiculous. They fly in great numbers to Thailand, Cuba, and the Seychelles, for instance, as well as to the (admittedly not seaside) destination of Las Vegas. As I recall, Sweden was somewhere on the lower half of the ten nations with the most number of victims of the 2004 tsunami. Cuba is a great example of how an island destination can market itself to Europeans.

2. Connecting traffic. No one has brought this up yet, but Europe-HNL-Oceania is a viable alternative to Asia and the Middle East for the Kangaroo route. Yes, this might require modification of immigration procedures at HNL, but NZ has made those procedures work at LAX, and Hawaii's congressional delegation punches well above its weight when it comes to things like this.

3. More efficient aircraft. 747SPs, DC10s, and such were gas guzzlers. Modern aircraft are much more fuel efficient and are better placed to do ultra-long haul.

The real question is what airline would stand the best chance of making the route work.
- I think the obvious choice is HA, especially for the connecting traffic point. It would help if HA would join an alliance, so it could get seamless onward connections in Europe.
- BA, given the connecting traffic from London, especially if they can codeshare with QF on flights to Australia.
- TK seems to make a lot of routes like this work. I'm not sure about this one, because they would lose out on a lot of the feed from Western Europe; it's a long way to backtrack to fly HNL-IST-LHR. But if there's any demand from the emerging "global south," including Eastern Europe, TK would be placed to capture it. They do seem to make HVN and work. (This also brings up the question of whether HNL is on EK's radar.)

SurlyBonds

Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:36 pm

1. First off, the idea that "Europeans won't fly long-haul to leisure destinations" is ridiculous. They fly in great numbers to Thailand, Cuba, and the Seychelles, for instance, as well as to the (admittedly not seaside) destination of Las Vegas. As I recall, Sweden was somewhere on the lower half of the ten nations with the most number of victims of the 2004 tsunami. Cuba is a great example of how an island destination can market itself to Europeans.

2. Connecting traffic. No one has brought this up yet, but Europe-HNL-Oceania is a viable alternative to Asia and the Middle East for the Kangaroo route. Yes, this might require modification of immigration procedures at HNL, but NZ has made those procedures work at LAX, and Hawaii's congressional delegation punches well above its weight when it comes to things like this.

3. More efficient aircraft. 747SPs, DC10s, and such were gas guzzlers. Modern aircraft are much more fuel efficient and are better placed to do ultra-long haul.

The real question is what airline would stand the best chance of making the route work.
- I think the obvious choice is HA, especially for the connecting traffic point. It would help if HA would join an alliance, so it could get seamless onward connections in Europe.
- BA, given the connecting traffic from London, especially if they can codeshare with QF on flights to Australia.
- TK seems to make a lot of routes like this work. I'm not sure about this one, because they would lose out on a lot of the feed from Western Europe; it's a long way to backtrack to fly HNL-IST-LHR. But if there's any demand from the emerging "global south," including Eastern Europe, TK would be placed to capture it. They do seem to make HVN and work. (This also brings up the question of whether HNL is on EK's radar.)

SurlyBonds

Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:37 pm

believe this route will eventually happen, for several reasons.

TWA902fly

Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:35 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
If one can go to the Canaries, the Balerics, or the Med in a few hours, why on a Earth would they fly for 16 hours to Hawaii? Heck, Havana or Miami are better than Waikiki.

Plus, I’d bet it is not possible on many days due to ETP considerations. The GC route, LHR-HNL, passes just east of Anchorage at ~6500nm, 15+50 at 460 knots average ground speed. That’s about a -35 knot wind. It’s 2400nm from HNL-ANC, so figure a 3+20 flight time at 10,000’ depressurization altitude (360 knot GS) from the ETP to either HNL or ANC. YVR is possible but further distance. Remember, west coast to Hawaii is the longest commonly used route without a divert.

You're aware that AS flies from ANC to HNL, OGG, and KOA, right?

'902
life wasn't worth the balance, or the crumpled paper it was written on

GSPFlyer

Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:16 am

Could it possibly be a viable stopover point between Europe and Australia/NZ?

The Great Circle distance of LHR-HNL-AKL is 300 miles shorter than LHR-LAX-AKL. Although I'm sure the stopover point being LAX helps the passenger numbers for NZ on that route.

anrec80

Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:33 am

Chemist wrote:
Given the low demand, I don't see why a one stop in LAX or SFO from Europe isn't good enough.

Because HNL->SFO/LAX is a USA domestic flight, and I am not aware of foreign airlines in the USA operating domestic sectors and were allowed to sell tickets on those. And I can’t see it economically feasible if WOW can’t sell tickets on SFO-HNL leg.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:55 am

TWA902fly wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
If one can go to the Canaries, the Balerics, or the Med in a few hours, why on a Earth would they fly for 16 hours to Hawaii? Heck, Havana or Miami are better than Waikiki.

Plus, I’d bet it is not possible on many days due to ETP considerations. The GC route, LHR-HNL, passes just east of Anchorage at ~6500nm, 15+50 at 460 knots average ground speed. That’s about a -35 knot wind. It’s 2400nm from HNL-ANC, so figure a 3+20 flight time at 10,000’ depressurization altitude (360 knot GS) from the ETP to either HNL or ANC. YVR is possible but further distance. Remember, west coast to Hawaii is the longest commonly used route without a divert.

You're aware that AS flies from ANC to HNL, OGG, and KOA, right?

'902

Yes and there’s a big difference between starting at ANC with full tanks and starting in LHR where you have know burned a large portion of your over the last 12-13 hours. Do some ETP flight planning on limiting routes. It always more critical at the end of the route. I’ve done many in the Pacific.

GF

benbeny

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:32 am

SurlyBonds wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

If one can go to the Canaries, the Balerics, or the Med in a few hours, why on [this] Earth would they fly for 16 hours (OK, 14) to Bangkok?

It's cheap to have holiday there. Besides, you have different cultures to see. Unlike Mediterranean which is a part of Europe, or West Indies that was an European colonies, you can experience vastly different cultures in Asia.

Besides, Bali is one stop from most major European cities (via DXB, SIN, KUL).

rbavfan

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:57 am

stl07 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:
devron wrote:
discussed 4 months ago viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1374205

But the answer is yes WOW with a a321

KEF is too far for a A321.

if Lax is with a neo, the neo LR should be enough in WW's books :D

LAX is at max range limits for the A321neo. an extra 400-500nm range increase will not get that non stop to hawaii.

rbavfan

Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:00 am

CARST wrote:
Wynnster8 wrote:
Will Hawaii see Flights to Europe?

I don't remember when, But there was before.

The route could have been started with most longhaul aircraft around. It could have been flown since the 747SP entered service. Later 744s, A340s, they all could have flown the route from Europe to Hawaii non-stop.

This are 6,292nm with an air-time of 13:12 hours.

That is about in the ballpark of LHR - EZE with 6,000nm and an air-time of 12:36 hours.

The currently longest route flown is DOH-AKL-DOH by QR with a 777-200LR with 7,849nm and an air-time of 16:28 hours.

And because someone brought it up, the A321LR will struggle from KEF, the route has 5,288nm with an air-time of 11:06 hours.

All distances and times from GCmap: http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=LON-HNL%0D ... 83&SU=mach

I guess the reason why no airline tried to operate the route non-stop is that it is an extremely low-yield route with 99% of the seats filled by tourists. No VFR traffic and no large natural O&D market with just unimportant business ties. Both Hawaiin and Condor have annouced they would like to start the route with new aircraft, but I'm pessimistic about this route. I'm not sure if the few tourists doing luxury holidays on the smaller islands are enough to make this non-stop route viable.

With the type of passenger traffic the 747/A340 ect. would not have been profitable where a 787/A350 could be a they are designed for for longer thinner routes.

SRQKEF

Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:02 am

Don’t know why my post was deleted...don’t remember posting anything remotely inflammatory or off-topic in my previous post. Oh well.

I’ll add my comment again then: I know for a fact Icelandair has been really close in recent years to adding HNL, and only aircraft shortage has prevented them from doing so. However, I’m not sure if it’s still in their plans but it wouldn’t surprise me. Like mjoelnir (and I in my deleted post) said earlier, while demand may not be that high for a Europe-Hawaii nonstop, I think there’s more than enough to fill 250 seats 2-3x times a week from FI’s 30+ European destinations and it’d really be a unique service. I mean, is it really more outlandish than KEF-ANC? (Which has been a great success from everything I’ve heard). :)
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

rbavfan

Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:06 am

32andBelow wrote:
Chemist wrote:
Given the low demand, I don't see why a one stop in LAX or SFO from Europe isn't good enough.

You could one stop in any major city in the USA air western Canada for Hawaii.

As above if they stopped in LA they would to have sales rights to HNL from LAX. Only from LON-LAX & LON-HNL. Resulting in a plane half full or less continuing to HNL. With Trump in office no foreign airline will get to do that, unless they build a Trump Golf course in their country. :)

stl07

Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:34 am

rbavfan wrote:
stl07 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

KEF is too far for a A321.

LAX is at max range limits for the A321neo. an extra 400-500nm range increase will not get that non stop to hawaii.

That was a joke
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

WPvsMW

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:10 am

If surfers had money, the EU/HI nonstop would have great yields.
The biggest difference between (i) Hawaii and (ii) the Med, Azores, Caribbean, SE Asia, and the REST OF THE WORLD... is the surf, esp. big surf and wind surfing. Next time you're in Maui, hang out at Ho'okina Beach Park (wind surfing capital of the world) and listen to all the European languages spoken.

Jomar777

Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:35 am

gunnerman wrote:
Jomar777 wrote:
I believe that ll hinges on the actual length of the flight. 16+ flights are not rare but the business case for them are very demanding. But, having said that, it might be an idea for an A333, for example to fly to Europe form Hawaii with a stop-over either in NYC or somewhere else on the West Coast and then following on provided it can take passengers on their stop. That would be something for the likes of Virgin, American, Delta, etc. to maybe explore. I am not sure Hawaiian would be able to.

No European carrier would fly to Hawaii via a US airport such as LAX or JFK as they won't get cabotage from the US government.

I know and you are right about that to an extent. What I considered in Virgin Atlantic's case was not a Freedom flight but something similar like Air France does with their LAX Flight which goes to the Pacific but no passengers boarding in LAX or SFO . Kind of an extension of their flights to the West Coast US.

But I think DL could do it...

flyingclrs727

Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:16 am

rbavfan wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
Chemist wrote:

As above if they stopped in LA they would to have sales rights to HNL from LAX. Only from LON-LAX & LON-HNL. Resulting in a plane half full or less continuing to HNL. With Trump in office no foreign airline will get to do that, unless they build a Trump Golf course in their country. :)

That's ridiculous. I can't imagine any administration giving rights to new 8th freedom flights in the US. QANTAS has a flight from LAX to JFK, but they are only allowed to carry passengers that are continuing a trip from Australia to the US. They don't have rights to sell stand alone LAX-JFK tickets. The rights to fly that route were awarded decades ago when aircraft had much less range than now.

VSMUT

Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:31 am

I don't think scheduled services will happen, for the simple reason that it is so obviously a charter airline market. Charter airlines are far more likely to do a handful of on-demand flights in the holiday season on behalf of tour operators who bear the cost of filling the plane. Think Thomas Cook/Condor, TUI, Edelweiss, Blue Panorama and EuroAtlantic. They could probably even get away with sending holidaymakers over in 737s and A320s - some European charter operators have done that several times in the past already. Technical stops in the US are legal, as the second freedom of the air.

benbeny wrote:
Everytime I read about Hawaii it seems that people pointing it as islands in the middle of nowhere. In reality though, I think with Hawaii as a gateway to other more exotic Pacific islands, the money is there. It might be not much, but if they manage to have direct flight to more remote areas in Pacific, I think it will end up as a tourist destination. Not in a short time, but who knows what will happen in next 5-10 years.

Yes, but many of those islands are also European colonies, and have dedicated (and usually subsidized) airlines flying directly out of Europe. There are also local airlines such as Fiji Airways. Air New Zealand, Qantas and Virgin Australia will also give Hawaii strong competition, so Hawaii is not so much the gateway. It is just one of many that have to compete for the crowd.

mercure1 wrote:
Also in my 30-years of aviation, I have not once met a European that went to Hawaii as their sole intended destination. Only people I know that have been there are either as part of a broader journey to US West Coast, or a stop on around-the-world itineraries.

Same. All the people I knew who visited Hawaii did it as part of a wider tour of the US.

SurlyBonds wrote:

1. Thailand, Cuba and the Seychelles are a fair bit shorter. Those few hours make a massive difference in price.

2. European and Australian airlines can barely make direct flights (with technical stops) between Australia and Europe viable. Not only would you have to fly a further distance, but you would also have to contend with that time-wasting customs and immigration process in the US during your connection on Hawaii.

zakuivcustom

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:36 pm

rbavfan wrote:
32andBelow wrote:
Chemist wrote:

:lol:

Speaking of that person in Mar-a-Lago, though, maybe SU should start flying MOW-HNL. If they route it MOW-VVO-HNL, both leg would be within the range of Tu-204. :stirthepot: (Yes, I am trying to be sarcastic).

P.S. I see many comparison of Hawaii to Caribbean or SE Asia. Yes, European do go there in droves. But keep in mind that those places are also relatively cheap. As I have said in an earlier post, Hawaii is anything but cheap.

devron

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:58 am

stl07 wrote:
rbavfan wrote:
stl07 wrote:

That was a joke

Some people have no sence for digital humor...

JannEejit

Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:23 pm

I can recall Hawaii being mentioned as a potential 787 destination by a Thomson/Tui executive from GLA, during a press conference when the type arrived in 2013. At the time it felt more like pulling names out of thin air when asked what kind of destinations the 787 might be able to open up. 5 years later it still only operates GLA-CUN...

Gingersnap

Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

I've been to Hawaii and the stop via LAX was no issue for me at least. Part of the experience of visiting a far flung destination in fact.
Flown on: A306 A319/20/21 A332 B732/3/4/5/7/8 B742/4 B752 B762/3 B772/W B788 C152 E195 F70/100 MD-82 Q400

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos