RainerBoeing777
Topic Author

Possible new routes for EL AL Airlines

Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:22 am

With the arrival of the new Dreamliner, El Al has new vibes and with a great improvement in its cabin, I think it is the ideal time to expand with the super efficient Dreamliner, and San Francisco announced what would be the next moviemente of EL AL.

1) Argentina and Brazil, are some of the countries with the largest population of Jews, the Tel Aviv - Buenos Aires route has been very anelada this dream can be fulfilled with the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, in the past El volo a Brasil with the route Tel Aviv - Sao Paulo Guarulhos and result in losses due to the high cost of fuel but with the efficient Dreamliner you can operate this route comfortably

2) Washington D.C. , Chicago and Philadelphia, are some of the cities in the United States with the largest population of Jews, it hurts that American dropped the route Tel Aviv-Philadelphia were improved service with one of their dreamliners, these routes can be operated comfortably with the arrivals of the Boeing 787-8 Dreamliners models, they have the effeciencia sufficiency to meet these routes

3) Canada is one of the main countries with the largest number of Jews, since Montreal already flies Air Transat & Canada, El Al could enter the market with a Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner and could maintain the service throughout the year, unlike its competitors that only fly by season

4) Australia is already ready for ultra-range flights, a Tel Aviv - Sydney flight is a little shorter than Perth - London Heathrow, an easy route to fulfill for the Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner with the greatest effeciency, and highlighting that the Jewish population in Australia is one of the largest in the world

5) Mexico has a considerable population of Jews, the economy of the country is growing more benefiting cargo operations and growing tourism is increasing, it would be great to see El Al arriving at the new Mexico City Airport with its super modern Boeing 787 -9 Dreamliner
CX - JL - LH - KE - KL - SQ - QR - QF - TG

MAH4546

Re: Possible new routes for EL AL Airlines

Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:26 am

El Al does not exist to serve populations of "Jews." I'd bet most of their U.S. originating traffic is probably Christians going on vacation.

Philadelphia-Tel Aviv is not a large local market. It was artificially inflated by US Airways entering the market, and is not a market service gap.
a.

NickolayAv

Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:37 am

Although I do think El Al could add a few of those routes, I think it should be a higher priority to expand their services in the cities they fly to, some cities should see higher frequencies and/or improved aircrafts. Also, a lot of those routes will be more expensive because they can't fly over a lot of countries.
"If you want to be a millionaire, start with a billion dollars and launch a new airline"-Richard Branson

rebr

Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:52 am

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
4) Australia is already ready for ultra-range flights, a Tel Aviv - Sydney flight is a little shorter than Perth - London Heathrow, an easy route to fulfill for the Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner with the greatest effeciency, and highlighting that the Jewish population in Australia is one of the largest in the world

Great Circle
TLV-SYD = 8,803 mi
PER-LHR = 9,010 mi

Real Life
TLV-SYD = 9,276 mi (+-)

aa87

Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:54 am

There was a news item last August that LY would begin EZE but not sure it happened.. As MAH4546 said, its simplistic to analyze LY current and potential markets based on Jewish population. Yes, most pax on most LY flights from major Jewish population centers (eg, JFK/EWR/LHR/MIA) are typically Jewish tourists. But SFO is mostly business traffic, and DL started ATL-TLV based on Christian tourism from the South (I still don't understand why that awesome route failed). And as NickolayAv suggested, there are a lot of unique factors that drive El Al market decisions. For example, I heard years ago that LY doesn't fly into Australia bc Aussies won't allow LY security to carry weapons. May not be true, just what I heard. And LY still can't overfly about 20 countries that significantly increase flight times and fuel on most eastbound flights.

jeffrey1970

Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:01 am

I am sure that it is business travelers that would make the biggest difference as to where EL AL will fly to next.
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

leleko747

Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:07 am

Not sure if this fits the subject of this thread but...
Any chance to see El Al or other Israeli carrier having flights to the Caribbean?

I guess El Al would be the only option, since they seem to be the only ones doing long haul.
I remember they were supposed to fly to Punta Cana. What happened?
I wonder when people will understand:
Embraer 190 or simply E190, not ERJ-190. E-Jets are NOT ERJs!
Boeing 747-8, not Boeing 747-800. Same goes for 787.
Airbus A320, not Airbus 320.
Airbii does not exist.

CHI787ORD

Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:38 am

ORD seems like a no brainer with the 787

tlvflyguy

Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:45 am

I agree with the others. LY added MIA and now SFO, with BOS also in recent years.
The dreamliners are great for LY, both in product upgrade and fleet diversity, but I don't see any additional growth for now.
LY also stated that the 787s will go to high-demand and high-competition routes to upgrade the product (HKG, EWR, LHR).

aemoreira1981

Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:53 am

MEX is certainly a possibility as the El Al JFK-TLV route carries a direct Aeromexico codeshare on it (although with DL effectively managing AM now, how much longer will that be)? SYD is not happening (remember, LY has to detour either via Turkey/Azerbaijan or via Djbouti), although I could see SIN as a possibility (business and tech destination similar to why LY is launching a route to SFO).

JAGflyer

Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:13 am

I don't see YUL getting service, especially with a 787. The Israeli/Jewish population in Quebec is very small. On top of it, Quebec province has generally been very much a Catholic majority so the religious travel market is insignificant IMO. The city does have a sizable Middle Eastern diaspora however most hail from Muslim countries who are less than friendly with Israel. Even so, El Al is a O&D carrier, virtually no connecting pax via TLV. If El Al was to go for another North American city I could see it being somewhere like DFW or ATL (where they can capitalize on the American/Delta network). The East coast (JFK, EWR, YYZ) is already pretty saturated for TLV.
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

chicawgo

Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:30 am

JAGflyer wrote:
I don't see YUL getting service, especially with a 787. The Israeli/Jewish population in Quebec is very small. On top of it, Quebec province has generally been very much a Catholic majority so the religious travel market is insignificant IMO. The city does have a sizable Middle Eastern diaspora however most hail from Muslim countries who are less than friendly with Israel. Even so, El Al is a O&D carrier, virtually no connecting pax via TLV. If El Al was to go for another North American city I could see it being somewhere like DFW or ATL (where they can capitalize on the American/Delta network). The East coast (JFK, EWR, YYZ) is already pretty saturated for TLV.

You think they would pick DFW or ATL before ORD? Don’t think that’s likely.

HPAEAA

Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:43 am

MAH4546 wrote:
El Al does not exist to serve populations of "Jews." I'd bet most of their U.S. originating traffic is probably Christians going on vacation.

Philadelphia-Tel Aviv is not a large local market. It was artificially inflated by US Airways entering the market, and is not a market service gap.

Agreed that they don’t serve the “Jews”, but most of their markets have large Jewish populations that travel regularly back to Israel... Christians may make up a large portion of traffic, but I’d bet most of it is low yield leisure traffic... honestly, I’d bet on more connectivity to high income economic centers, tech & high income individuals with a connection build out their premium traffic...
1.4mm and counting...

Blerg

Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:48 am

Given that no Persian Gulf airline flies to Tel Aviv, does anyone know how most people fly between Australia and Israel? Given that TK carried over a million passengers to/from TLV I suppose it is a combination of IST, KUL or SIN?

dredgy

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:10 am

Blerg wrote:
Given that no Persian Gulf airline flies to Tel Aviv, does anyone know how most people fly between Australia and Israel? Given that TK carried over a million passengers to/from TLV I suppose it is a combination of IST, KUL or SIN?

This is anecdotal, but I have a decent sample size of about 10 friends/colleagues ;p

Business travellers favour the one stop via Asia - Cathay's newish service from HKG is popular amongst Qantas frequent flyers. Qantas also codeshares on El Al flights from Bangkok and Hong Kong (also Johannesburg) and these flights are redeemable with QFF points so they're very popular.

Every person I know who travels to visit family (including one Israeli citizen) actually does fly Etihad/Emirates to Amman (or another city) and picks up a separate flight from there.

Blerg

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:14 am

dredgy wrote:
Blerg wrote:

This is anecdotal, but I have a decent sample size of about 10 friends/colleagues ;p

Business travellers favour the one stop via Asia - Cathay's newish service from HKG is popular amongst Qantas frequent flyers. Qantas also codeshares on El Al flights from Bangkok and Hong Kong (also Johannesburg) and these flights are redeemable with QFF points so they're very popular.

Every person I know who travels to visit family (including one Israeli citizen) actually does fly Etihad/Emirates to Amman (or another city) and picks up a separate flight from there.

Thank you. I completely forgot about Cathay! If the MEB3 could fly to TLV I am sure both EK and QR would offer multiple daily flights.

Galwayman

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:21 am

No need for the ME3 to go to Israel, they can pick up all that traffic in AMM

mcogator

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:41 am

There are 1.6 million Arabs in Israel and 2.8 million in the West Bank. Not including the 1.8 million in Gaza, that's 4.4 million Arabs in the area. I'm not sure if the majority flies El Al or not, but that is a large amount of ppl in the area that need to be served too.
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

acentauri

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:31 am

MAH4546 wrote:

I assume that you're aware AA is likely going to restart this route later this year (2018) or early 2019.

DobboDobbo

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:46 am

I believe El Al are due to start a route to MAN in June.

MAH4546

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:47 am

acentauri wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

I assume that you're aware AA is likely going to restart this route later this year (2018) or early 2019.

I'm aware that the A.net rumor mill seems to think that.

Doesn't change the fact it's a non-existent local market.
a.

KrustyTheKlown

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:48 am

I don't think a non-stop MEX-TLV flight is likely due to MEX altitude, such route may need a fuel stop somewhere in Europe.

Kashmon

Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:36 am

Blerg wrote:
dredgy wrote:
Blerg wrote:

Thank you. I completely forgot about Cathay! If the MEB3 could fly to TLV I am sure both EK and QR would offer multiple daily flights.

uh the ME3 are state owned
if they want to fly they can fly , their owners just need to change their minds....

Kashmon

Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:37 am

mcogator wrote:
There are 1.6 million Arabs in Israel and 2.8 million in the West Bank. Not including the 1.8 million in Gaza, that's 4.4 million Arabs in the area. I'm not sure if the majority flies El Al or not, but that is a large amount of ppl in the area that need to be served too.

yeah but the Arabs there are not wealthy

LPSHobby

Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:43 am

LATAM Brasil willl start GRU-TLV, so I think it´s hard to have 2 airlines on this route

usssla

Thu Feb 01, 2018 1:40 pm

aemoreira1981 wrote:
MEX is certainly a possibility as the El Al JFK-TLV route carries a direct Aeromexico codeshare on it (although with DL effectively managing AM now, how much longer will that be)? SYD is not happening (remember, LY has to detour either via Turkey/Azerbaijan or via Djbouti), although I could see SIN as a possibility (business and tech destination similar to why LY is launching a route to SFO).

I doubt if Malaysia and Indonesia allow LY to operate at their airspace. If not, SIN is not possible.

ADrum23

Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:35 pm

acentauri wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

Do you know this for sure? I agree AA needs to re-enter TLV, but I’d be surprised if it happened this year.

ADrum23

Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:36 pm

Still waiting for someone to start ORD-TLV..........

usairways85

Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:52 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
acentauri wrote:
MAH4546 wrote:

Do you know this for sure? I agree AA needs to re-enter TLV, but I’d be surprised if it happened this year.

This is just a.net rumor. PHL has been labeled as the prime TA gateway and there are still plenty of routes to try or re-try from PHL before TLV...DUS, TXL, EDI, MXP, BRU, etc. And if AA were to start a route that required two frames, I'd put more money on PHL-NRT than PHL-TLV.

yochai

Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:12 pm

JAGflyer wrote:
I don't see YUL getting service, especially with a 787. The Israeli/Jewish population in Quebec is very small. On top of it, Quebec province has generally been very much a Catholic majority so the religious travel market is insignificant IMO. The city does have a sizable Middle Eastern diaspora however most hail from Muslim countries who are less than friendly with Israel.

Tell this to AC and TS, both going 3 weekly each this summer on YUL-TLV...I guess the market is just not there ah :roll:

idp5601

Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:14 pm

Well for one I can possibly see them reviving plans for TLV-MNL, a route they were hoping to start in 2016 but for some reason was shelved.

NichCage

Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:12 pm

I don't see anyway LY will serve YUL. Both AC and TS fly the route, and an third airline seems like too much capacity for the market.

I don't think PHL will happen, but maybe IAD and ORD could be a possibility.

I think that a TLV-GRU-EZE flight could work well, and be profitable with the 787 (compared with the 777 several years ago and the route ended a few years after launch).

There is no way LY or even SQ could fly between TLV and SIN (because of Malaysia and Indonesia) but I'm sure it would work well. I think I read somewhere that SQ was going to start TLV, but nothing has come up as of yet.

zakuivcustom

Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:36 pm

mcogator wrote:

The bigger question is, can those Arabs even travel freely? I'm not too familiar with the movement restriction there.

As for South America (Let say, Sao Paulo). I don't believe they can fly over North Africa? So I guess they'll have to do routes similar to this? (The one through MAD is 6430nmi, via ADD is 6995nmi).

Free Hong Kong! Free China!

DaveFly

Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:39 pm

I think it’s a mistake to think that El Al is going after religious/ethnic markets. That’s already covered in the States with New York and Miami. They’re now exploring business/tech markets in San Francisco and India. The ‘high percentage of Jews’ that is often discussed here doesn’t mean much. For one thing, most large American cities have a sizable Jewish population. For another, most American Jews have not, and don’t plan to visit Israel. And another, religious tours to Israel are made up of 1/3 Jews, 2/3 Christians. It seems much more likely that El Al’s new strategy is to develop business travel, and lessen its reliance on holiday tourism.
L1011,DC8,DC9,DC10,MD80/90
A300,A319,320,321,330,340,
CRJ,E135/45/190,
DH8,Avro85,DHBeaver,AstarHelo,F100,ATR42

superjeff

Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:50 pm

MAH4546 wrote:

Very correct. Israel is not primarily a VFR market; there is considerable high-end business traffic in the front of the plane (high tech, pharma, etc.) And you are correct, the leisure traffic and tourist business from the U.S the figures have traditionally been about 2/3 Christian and 1/3 Jewish.

RainerBoeing777
Topic Author

Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:31 pm

rebr wrote:
RainerBoeing777 wrote:

Great Circle
TLV-SYD = 8,803 mi
PER-LHR = 9,010 mi

Real Life
TLV-SYD = 9,276 mi (+-)

I forgot the restricted airspace! I hate diplomacy sometimes
CX - JL - LH - KE - KL - SQ - QR - QF - TG

capitalflyer

Thu Feb 01, 2018 6:19 pm

I would think that TLV-IAD would be an easy govt to govt connection to make. And yet it hasn't been made. SFO is coming online Nov. 2018. Only Canadian flight is to YYZ on a 788. They are getting rid of 747 and 767 for the 787. Fleet is only expanding by 4, so don't hold your breath.

El Al is basically a European airline with a few flights to the U.S. and a couple other places. Any additional routes would be only to the US, with IAD and ORD being logical. No Canada, no Australia, no Latin America. Other than YYZ, they have zero infrastructure in these places (certificates, etc.).

aemoreira1981

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:59 pm

The other thing to consider is that of the long haul fleet when all Dreamliners are in...about 3/5ths of the Dreamliners will be just for TLV to NYC, leaving not much for anyone else. This is why MIA gets a B772.

BTW, to GRU or EZE, could that be done with fifth freedom rights via BCN? If so, AR could codeshare on the EZE service on a route they’re discontinuing because of their A340 retirement.

Mistral1

Thu Feb 01, 2018 8:37 pm

LPSHobby wrote:
LATAM Brasil willl start GRU-TLV, so I think it´s hard to have 2 airlines on this route

No, it will be LATAM Chile and the route will be SCL-GRU-TLV.

aemoreira1981

Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:02 am

Mistral1 wrote:
LPSHobby wrote:

On a 313-seat B789. I do wonder if there might be blocked seats though, given that I doubt that a flight to Israel can cross over a lot of West Africa, even on a Chile-registered aircraft.

LH658

Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:54 am

Seattle, ORD, Washington DC, Colombo, Delhi, Bangalore, Tbilisi, Yerevan, Krakow, PTY, SJO.

LH658

Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:56 am

aemoreira1981 wrote:
Mistral1 wrote:
LPSHobby wrote:

On a 313-seat B789. I do wonder if there might be blocked seats though, given that I doubt that a flight to Israel can cross over a lot of West Africa, even on a Chile-registered aircraft.

QF can fly PER to LHR crossing Israel, but LH cannot cross through Israel on route like FRA to RUH.

gunsontheroof

Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:56 am

Kashmon wrote:
mcogator wrote:

Nor could they readily access TLV, let alone El Al.
Picked a hell of a week to quit sniffing glue.

mcogator

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:23 pm

gunsontheroof wrote:
Kashmon wrote:
mcogator wrote:

I would assume the 1.6 million Israeli Arabs could access TLV, but I'm not sure if they would fly El Al or not. I would think the West Bank Arabs go via AMM, but im not sure what those in Gaza do.
“Traveling – it leaves you speechless, then turns you into a storyteller.” – Ibn Battuta

ojjunior

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:50 pm

zakuivcustom wrote:
mcogator wrote:

The bigger question is, can those Arabs even travel freely? I'm not too familiar with the movement restriction there.

As for South America (Let say, Sao Paulo). I don't believe they can fly over North Africa? So I guess they'll have to do routes similar to this? (The one through MAD is 6430nmi, via ADD is 6995nmi).

Can anyone tell us what route they used in the past when they flew to GRU?
I know they used the 777ER on the route, nonstop TLV-GRU-TLV

oceanvikram

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:35 pm

I would like to see El Al expand in India.

Delhi is the most likely due to market size. India is the largest buyer of Israeli military equipment and there are many tie ups such security, defence and and agriculture corporation between the two governments.

However I would say Bangalore would be more economical with the route being least affected by the detour. There is the tech industry as well as the pharmaceutical industry that ties Israel and Bangalore. Thus 3 weekly flights using 737-800max (not sure if the aircraft has the legs).

Most likely is that El Al will go daily to Mumbai. The ideal aircraft would be the 321neo/LR, Indians and Israelis won't really care whether their ride is a narrow body or a wide body aircraft. Competitive pricing and non-stop will win the market. Unfortunately El Al will never buy a non-American aircraft even though 321neo/LR will open up many new destinations for them.

There is no chance for El Al to fly into Australia. I read somewhere that Australian regulations does not permit a foreign entity to do security checks. It is my understanding that El Al or the Israeli security service do additional security checks prior to boarding.

If regulations do change then my bet would be Melbourne as the destination for El Al to Australia. The biggest Jewish community by far is in Melbourne and is the second largest city in Australia, so I think it is a better Australian market.
My comments are based as an aviation enthusiast first, then as a passenger who paid for his own ticket, after that a passenger on a business trip and finally an armchair CEO.

2Holer4Longhaul

Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:14 pm

gunsontheroof wrote:
Kashmon wrote:
mcogator wrote:

The ones in the West Bank can access TLV. Airport security gives them a very, very hard time, but they do fly out of TLV all the time.
The Gazans generally don't get to go anywhere unless it's for a valid reason (i.e. medical).
"You know, if you just set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything, wouldn't you, at any time? And you would achieve nothing!" - Margaret Thatcher

iadadd

Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:01 pm

Slightly off topic, but isn't it true that El Al doesn't fly out of TLV on Saturdays due to sabbath. If so, won't the less then daily services have a negative effect on attracting business travelers ?

2Holer4Longhaul

Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:11 pm

iadadd wrote:
Slightly off topic, but isn't it true that El Al doesn't fly out of TLV on Saturdays due to sabbath. If so, won't the less then daily services have a negative effect on attracting business travelers ?

It's true. LY is at a competitive disadvantage in both frequencies and aircraft utilisation because of it. Because the Haredim are both politically powerful and a large share of LY's business, El Al is stuck with this limitation for the foreseeable future.
On the bright side, landing in TLV on Saturday or Friday night (as I've done on both UA 84 and UA 954) lets you see El Al's fleet beautifully lined up on the apron.
"You know, if you just set out to be liked, you would be prepared to compromise on anything, wouldn't you, at any time? And you would achieve nothing!" - Margaret Thatcher

LHLX

Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:47 am

I flew TLV-GRU-TLV with LY in 2011 and from TLV the 772 crossed the med until more or less between VLC and ALC then went towards the canaries and down like most flights from Spain to Brazil...on the way back we actually overflew parts of Morocco, other than that the route was pretty much the same like on the way out.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos