cougar15
Topic Author

Potentially serious Incident on Spirit 320 NEO

Fri Feb 02, 2018 12:48 pm

An Incident I had initially skipped as ´just another Airbus fume event´ seems to have been a lot more serious on NK517 in January. CO2 seemed to have been involved-
Coverage from the AvHerald in the link below.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4b4623d6&opt=0

Dare I say kudos to the operating crew and especially the Skippers insistence with MX after the event, thus ensuring the A/C was not returned to service. Does anybody know more of this incident?
some you lose, others you can´t win!

us330

Re: Potentially serious Incident on Spirit 320 NEO

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:36 pm

Wow. For as much flak as Spirit gets on here for being a bare-bones operation, they have clearly not skimped on professional training for their crews. Hopefully that crew gets the recognition they deserve.

varsity

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:46 pm

Curious why they did not land sooner somewhere else? Clearly if multiple people were feeling sick something was majorly wrong, either MX or a substance somewhere on board.
AB3, DC8, DC9, DH7, D10, E90, M80, M88, 320, 321, 330, 722, 737, 733, 734, 738, 747, 744, 757, 752, 753, 772
AA, AF, B6, CO, DL, EA, EI, FI, HP, KM, LX, MS, NW, OP, PA, TW, UA, US, VS, W9, WO, YX

KLDC10

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:48 pm

From the article you linked:

""The Capt was nearly incapacitated on landing and was on quick don emergency cockpit oxygen." Subsequent research established the following:

First medical findings indicate seriously increased levels of carbon monoxide with all members of the cabin crew, several flight attendants reached levels near lethal values."

Incredibly serious indeed if confirmed.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146
737/738/739/744/748/752/763/772/789
A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/A346/A359
Q400/E170/E175/E190

neomax

Fri Feb 02, 2018 1:53 pm

Considering the very first comment says that the source has a history of exaggerating things and that the situation was nowhere near as serious as described, I don’t give this too much weight.

scbriml

Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:22 pm

neomax wrote:
I don’t give this too much weight.

Indeed. The plane operated another service after this "incident" on 28th and appears to have been operating normally ever since - currently en-route to PIT.

Slow news day, I think.
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

wedgetail737

Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:42 pm

I hope this wasn't some sort of sabotage event against the company.

atcsundevil

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:17 pm

cougar15 wrote:
An Incident I had initially skipped as ´just another Airbus fume event´ seems to have been a lot more serious on NK517 in January. CO2 seemed to have been involved-
Coverage from the AvHerald in the link below.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4b4623d6&opt=0

Dare I say kudos to the operating crew and especially the Skippers insistence with MX after the event, thus ensuring the A/C was not returned to service. Does anybody know more of this incident?

A minor point, but the incident involved was Carbon Monoxide (CO), not CO2. I'm surprised the aircraft didn't have a CO detector. It's fortunate that there was a smell associated with the fume to alert them, because that's obviously the danger with CO is that it's odorless.

estorilm

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:44 pm

scbriml wrote:
neomax wrote:
I don’t give this too much weight.

Indeed. The plane operated another service after this "incident" on 28th and appears to have been operating normally ever since - currently en-route to PIT.

Slow news day, I think.

I assume maintenance would require a significant amount of time to replace the wet seal if that was indeed the problem, probably engine swap? Guessing they didn't have a spare just sitting around? Does that return to service date imply that such maintenance wasn't performed?

cougar15
Topic Author

Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:04 pm

seems the ´event´ is getting more & more attention on a wide variety of platforms and from authorities, FA´s with confirmed serious Carbon Monoxide poisoning does not sound like just something to fill slow news days....
Curious on this one, I hope we learn more of it!
some you lose, others you can´t win!

a320fan

Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:09 pm

I will hope in the near future it will be impossible to certify a commercial aircraft that uses bleed air in the cabin. The fact that airbus took that route this decade with the A350 is unfortunate.
A319, A320, A321, A330-200, A380, 737-700, 737-800, 777-200ER, 777-300, 777-300ER, 787-8, Q300

cat3appr50

Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:44 pm

I'll say it once again…In reviewing the Airliners.Net, Aviation Herald, etc. website entries, there continues a concerning number of reported smoke in the cockpit, smoke in the cabin, and unusual odor incidents with many different airlines and many different aircraft, and which in many cases those flights returned to the departure airport or diverted to a diversion airport (when enroute) due to the event. These events seemingly continue at a typical rate week after week.

Managers working in general industry or aviation know full well that such incidents can potentially become root cause events leading to larger safety issues if not proactively addressed and resolved/prevented properly and in a timely manner.

As such, these noted events related to smoke, oppressive and noxious odors with passengers and crew getting sick, etc. IMO should initiate a proactive, objective study by the FAA/NTSB/ICAO of why those events are happening constantly, what is the specific technical root cause for the events, and technically how those incidents/events can be eliminated by advanced PM, more detailed equipment inspections, enhanced regulation, etc. All just my opinion.

Wacker1000

Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:10 pm

cat3appr50 wrote:
As such, these noted events related to smoke, oppressive and noxious odors with passengers and crew getting sick, etc. IMO should initiate a proactive, objective study by the FAA/NTSB/ICAO of why those events are happening constantly, what is the specific technical root cause for the events, and technically how those incidents/events can be eliminated by advanced PM, more detailed equipment inspections, enhanced regulation, etc. All just my opinion.

Its a shame people with an agenda make a mountain out of a mole hill and make the very rare actual event almost impossible to catch.

goboeing

Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:42 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
I hope this wasn't some sort of sabotage event against the company.

What are you even talking about?

Maintenance intentionally messing with the engines/PACKs?

Care to elaborate for us what your sabotage concern is?

scbriml

Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:55 pm

cougar15 wrote:
seems the ´event´ is getting more & more attention on a wide variety of platforms and from authorities, FA´s with confirmed serious Carbon Monoxide poisoning does not sound like just something to fill slow news days....
Curious on this one, I hope we learn more of it!

Yet the plane was put back in service very quickly and has been operating normally since.

Do we have any credible news source other than the AVHerald item?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

Tristarsteve

Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:49 pm

As a maintenance engineer I am always sceptical about fume reports. The cabin crew were in hospital, but no passengers affected?

I once met a B767 with a fume event. The male cabin attendent in the rear galley was taken to hospital by ambulance, the two girls there smelt something. I found a cabin/galley exhaust air fan under the floor burnt out, isolated it, and despatched the aircraft back to base.
How did he need hospital treatment breathing the fumes from a burnt out electrical motor, that was under the floor!!

We had a lot of incidents with fumes where the aircraft were taken off service, and after much work, nothing really found. The theory was that the crew wanted to make sure they had a recorded incident in the file, so if there was ever a court case, they could be part of the payoff.

7673mech

Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:15 pm

a320fan wrote:
I will hope in the near future it will be impossible to certify a commercial aircraft that uses bleed air in the cabin. The fact that airbus took that route this decade with the A350 is unfortunate.

Why? That has been the norm for the last 60 years without serious incidents, please explain why it's suddenly so dangerous?

hayzel777

Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:14 am

N902NK had to return to Vegas yesterday after the #2 engine was shut off due to high vibrations. Not a good start for this brand new plane.

http://avherald.com/h?article=4b48fdbe&opt=0

BoeingGuy

Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:07 am

cat3appr50 wrote:
I'll say it once again…In reviewing the Airliners.Net, Aviation Herald, etc. website entries, there continues a concerning number of reported smoke in the cockpit, smoke in the cabin, and unusual odor incidents with many different airlines and many different aircraft, and which in many cases those flights returned to the departure airport or diverted to a diversion airport (when enroute) due to the event. These events seemingly continue at a typical rate week after week.

Managers working in general industry or aviation know full well that such incidents can potentially become root cause events leading to larger safety issues if not proactively addressed and resolved/prevented properly and in a timely manner.

It’s being done. An industry committee is starting to study cabin air issues and recommendations how to solve the problem.

D L X

Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:18 am

If true, this crew and these passengers are not out of the woods yet. I recall a similar yet less severe event occurring on a US 762 years ago, where the pilots landed in Charlotte as normal, and only then discovered their bloodshot eyes. Neither pilot flew again, and one subsequently died.

http://avherald.com/h?article=425f6a41

hayzel777

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:49 pm

NTSB says no one was hospitalized nor did any of the pilots become ill. Total exaggeration by AvHerald in his initial report.

On Feb 8th 2018 the NTSB told The Aviation Herald: "Code of Federal Regulations 830.5 requires that NTSB be notified when a required crewmember (flight or cabin) cannot complete their official duties. NTSB investigators contacted Spirit Airlines and were briefed on the circumstances that occurred on the Jan. 28 flight. All crewmembers completed their official duties throughout the flight. Several flight attendants were transported to the hospital but none were admitted. The pilots did not go to the hospital. No further investigation is planned."

KarelXWB

Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:56 pm

Thread locked as the report turns out to be inaccurate.
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos