LG777

SN CEO and CFO termintated

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:21 pm

Only in french and behind a Paywall

http://www.lalibre.be/economie/libre-en ... 24c7cc1640

Lufthansa wants to fire the two Belgian bosses of Brussels Airlines
CEO Bernard Gustin and his number two, Chief Financial Officer Jan De Raeymaeker, received a letter announcing the end of their contract with Brussels Airlines.

Any other sources ? English news already ?
Looks like Brussels Airlines won't be Brussels anymore in the future.
Soon a new paint sheme : Eurowings Belgium ?

bralo20
Topic Author

Lufthansa fires Brussels Airlines CEO & CFO since they didn't want to change SN into an LCC

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:21 pm

Today the Belgian (Wallonian) newspaper La Libre Belgique announced that Bernard Gustin, CEO of Brussels Airlines and Jan De Raeymaeker, CFO received a letter terminating their employment with Brussels Airlines.

According to the article on aviation24.be (http://www.aviation24.be/airlines/lufth ... t-the-top/) the current management of Brussels Airlines wants to keep the successful hybrid model of Brussels Airlines but Carsten Spohr wants something different, he wants that Brussels Airlines completely changes into Eurowings and will not take anything else in consideration. The issue was part of the November board meeting where Carsten Spohr brutally silenced Bernard Gustin when he tried to explain and defent the hybrid SN model.

As a result of this the head of Eurowings (Thorsten Dirks) terminated the CEO and the CFO but both declined to sign the papers (due to not following the correct Belgian procedure), as a result a board meeting will be held on Monday for the change in management, since the Belgians lost their veto power in the board since January 1st and the board of Brussels Airlines is 5 Germans against 4 Belgians it is assumed this will be a done deal and both will be fired formally on Monday.

It is a shame to see that Carsten Spohr wants to ruin Brussels Airlines in favour of his pet project Eurowings, during the past year Brussels Airlines was one of the strong growers within the LH Group and proved that their strategy works. Guess once both will be removed it will be the end of Brussels Airlines also.

Guess after a year of uncertainty we can say goodbye to Brussels Airlines... It will only be a matter of time before the brand is gone I guess :(

Aisak

Re: SN CEO and CFO termintated

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:26 pm

If SN is owned/controlled by a german entity (LH) and it is no longer run by Belgian nationals..... Could Belgium-Africa rights be in peril?

KarelXWB

Re: Lufthansa fires Brussels Airlines CEO & CFO since they didn't want to change SN into an LCC

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:32 pm

bralo20 wrote:
It is a shame to see that Carsten Spohr wants to ruin Brussels Airlines in favour of his pet project Eurowings, during the past year Brussels Airlines was one of the strong growers within the LH Group and proved that their strategy works. Guess once both will be removed it will be the end of Brussels Airlines also.

It's interesting that the Board supports the LCC plan and backs Carsten Spohr. Why is that?
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.

KLDC10

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:33 pm

Aisak wrote:
If SN is owned/controlled by a german entity (LH) and it is no longer run by Belgian nationals..... Could Belgium-Africa rights be in peril?

Brussels Airlines remains registered in Belgium as an entity within the German-owned Lufthansa Group.
DC9/MD90/MD11/F70/BAE146
737/738/739/744/748/752/763/772/789
A319/A320/A321/A332/A333/A346/A359
Q400/E170/E175/E190/CS300

Polot

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:33 pm

Aisak wrote:

Most of the European mergers are carefully crafted so that the carrier is technically locally owned to avoid this and similar issues.

bralo20
Topic Author

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:35 pm

Aisak wrote:

Unfortunately the rights aren't in peril thanks to the ownership construction of Brussels Airlines (this was even before LH owned it in place).

Brussels Airlines NV (the airline) is 100% owned by the Belgian holding company SN Airholding NV, which makes it a Belgian owned airline. However, SN Airholding NV is the company that was taken over by Lufthansa. So technically Brussels Airlines remains a Belgian owned company even though their sole shareholder is owned by Germans.

BelAviaFan

Re: Lufthansa fires Brussels Airlines CEO & CFO since they didn't want to change SN into an LCC

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:36 pm

Quo vadis cum brussels airlines, Lufthansa?
BelAviaFan: Belgian Aviation Fan

bralo20
Topic Author

Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:39 pm

KarelXWB wrote:
bralo20 wrote:
It's interesting that the Board supports the LCC plan and backs Carsten Spohr. Why is that?

That's something that everyone is asking. Bernard Gustin has made Brussels Airlines a profitable airline in only a "few" years of time, proving that the model they invented works.

TATLTALE

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:45 pm

Though a disappointment for those of us rooting for Belgian aviation, this is hardly surprising.
Oh stewardess, I speak jive

NichCage

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:56 pm

So they just wanna throw away SN and turn it into EW?

Also, LH has the right to fire the SN CEO just because they want the brand to turn into EW? That's brutal and rather sad to hear.

SuperTwin

Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:57 pm

bralo20 wrote:
KarelXWB wrote:
bralo20 wrote:

That's something that everyone is asking. Bernard Gustin has made Brussels Airlines a profitable airline in only a "few" years of time, proving that the model they invented works.

Playing devil’s advocate, I would say that LH thinks the operation could make a better margin per asset under the Eurowings model thus getting their money’s worth faster.

I will say that the LH group strategy is a very mixed bag at present. Aside from LX OS and WK, there is a lot of movement in the other airline ops they own. Quite the orchestra to conduct!
SuperTwin

Arion640

Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:05 pm

I'm sure after some arguing the LH group will offer a favourable settlement to the two individuals and it will be a done deal.

Or am i being too synical?
Lets get Brexit done.

sassiciai

Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:16 pm

Sabena had a great image and was well-respected throughout much of the world (Well, at least some of it!). Brussels Airlines has very patiently rebuilt much of the brand recognition of the "Belgian Airline"

What will be the brand recognition - even or especially in Belgium - of "Eurowings"?

Will the traditional African market and US - Africa market that provides SN BA much of its revenue continue to recognise and use Eurowings?

What a mistake, down to some assh**e CEO with his pet project that no-one else understands!

First the Avros have gone, now it looks like SN BA is about to go as well.

Well, in another thread here today, Air Belgium is moving forward and will receive its first A340-300 in Charleroi by end-February, from where it plans its initial service with direct flights to Hong Kong! Good luck to that venture

mercure1

Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:17 pm

Good its about time the feet dragging at SN ends.

LH Group board in 2016 when it voted to exercise purchase of remaining shares of SN also announced it would be placed into Eurowings while as it fully integrated into the group.

So its time this is carried as intended, not the current middleman state where governance technically is under the Eurowings umbrella already and some flying is also carried out by Eurowings, but SN largely is still a standalone enterprise with added duplication and cost for the LH group.

As far as branding, I cant think of a more appropriate vehicle for what can be a pan European product than Eurowings.
mercure f-wtcc

alan3

Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:21 pm

Do they expect a Eurowings type airline to fly those African routes, or do they not care if that African business goes to AF and KL?

OA940

Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:29 pm

Well he sure is a dumbass. Can't wait until this completely backfires.
A350/CSeries = bae

janders

Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:37 pm

Consolidation under Eurowings brand seems quite appropriate for airline based in the capital of Europe afterall.

Also lets not forget, Eurowings is not simply a vanilla LCC, but will offer a real business product on its longhaul ops using same lie-flat seat as LH business class.

https://thepointsguy.com/2017/12/eurowi ... ess-seats/
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

PatrickZ80

Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:51 pm

OA940 wrote:

I'm sure it will. Those two are going to start their own airline and compete their former employer out of the market, and I think they'll succeed. At least, that's what I would do if I were them. In a few years Lufthansa will regret this decision.

seahawk

Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:52 pm

I understand doubts about giving up the brand, however I do not see the difference in the business model.

BelAviaFan

Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:28 pm

BelAviaFan: Belgian Aviation Fan

Bricktop

Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:33 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
OA940 wrote:

I'm sure it will. Those two are going to start their own airline and compete their former employer out of the market, and I think they'll succeed. At least, that's what I would do if I were them. In a few years Lufthansa will regret this decision.

They have a perfect right to do that, just as LH can do what they want. Good, bad or indifferent decision, it's LH's call to make. It takes a lot of intestinal fortitude to tell your bosses and owners no, so good for them

LAXintl

Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:35 pm

SN is essentially largely a LCC operation already in the shorthaul arena. Integrating it formally into Eurowings not only seems logical it should provide broader group benefits by reducing duplication.

For the longhaul, Eurowings as posted above is itself becoming more mainline so its product offerings should not be any different than what SN is today anyhow.

For the brand, while I am sure some have an affinity for Brussels and nostalgic for Sabena past, to me it seems Eurowings brand is a brilliant one for a broader European platform, particularly for a base in Brussels of all places indeed.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

sassiciai

Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:47 pm

LAXintl wrote:
to me it seems Eurowings brand is a brilliant one for a broader European platform, particularly for a base in Brussels of all places indeed.

I respect your opinion, but have to say I disagree entirely. I cant think of many more bland names than "Eurowings" - or "America Airlines" for that matter - that cannot provide any focus on an identity, an origin, a culture, or any expectation of type of service, cuisine, welcome .............. All of these things come for an identity that provides a bit of help in knowing what to expect. Maybe Eurowings will become an enormous success, but I for one will not bet much on that!

Planesmart

Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:54 pm

Dismissal in this way, as opposed to resignation, may well suspend 'restraint of trade' employment clauses. Perhaps this successful double act will be turning up very soon to haunt their former masters?

mercure1

Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:59 pm

sassiciai wrote:
I respect your opinion, but have to say I disagree entirely. I cant think of many more bland names than "Eurowings" - or "America Airlines" for that matter - that cannot provide any focus on an identity, an origin, a culture, or any expectation of type of service, cuisine, welcome .............. All of these things come for an identity that provides a bit of help in knowing what to expect. Maybe Eurowings will become an enormous success, but I for one will not bet much on that!

Isn't the whole point of EU to reduce such nationalist barriers and segmentation into a more cohesive unified entity?

As such I cant think of a better example to have Eurowings (a very apt name for broader European brand) to have a major base in Brussels, the defacto capital of EU.
mercure f-wtcc

SamYeager2016

Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:08 pm

mercure1 wrote:
Isn't the whole point of EU to reduce such nationalist barriers and segmentation into a more cohesive unified entity?

What a pity Lufthansa never got round to buying Air France and sorting it out! :stirthepot:

flyguy89

Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:21 pm

LAXintl wrote:
SN is essentially largely a LCC operation already in the shorthaul arena. Integrating it formally into Eurowings not only seems logical it should provide broader group benefits by reducing duplication.

For the longhaul, Eurowings as posted above is itself becoming more mainline so its product offerings should not be any different than what SN is today anyhow.

For the brand, while I am sure some have an affinity for Brussels and nostalgic for Sabena past, to me it seems Eurowings brand is a brilliant one for a broader European platform, particularly for a base in Brussels of all places indeed.

The product isn't really the issue. When SN arose from the ashes of SABENA, they were very careful to integrate branding elements from SABENA into the new airline (Use of "SN" in the name and the iconic SABENA "S" logo, etc.) because SABENA had so much brand equity, recognition and awareness in Africa. Even with those considerations, it's taken years for SN to rebuild and maintain that...all of which is essentially erased with EuroWings which is totally unknown in SN's bread and butter Africa markets.

zeke

Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:30 pm

Aisak wrote:

Europe does not really use ownership and control they use where the head office is, “principal place of business”

A lot of big airlines have large international shareholders as well as leaseholders of their large assets being international which made the whole ownership and control test very difficult to quantify.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

LJ

Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:33 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:

How will they finance an airline which can compete with Godzilla LH? Not to mention it will take years to build up such an airline. Then again, they can maybe work for Air Belgium.....

flyguy89 wrote:
it's taken years for SN to rebuild and maintain that...all of which is essentially erased with EuroWings which is totally unknown in SN's bread and butter Africa markets.

But it wasn't SN who paid the latest round of expansion. SN couldn't grow this much without the support (financial and non-financial) of LH. Finally, as mentioned earlier, this isn't something nobody expected.

PatrickZ80

Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:41 pm

mercure1 wrote:

As such I cant think of a better example to have Eurowings (a very apt name for broader European brand) to have a major base in Brussels, the defacto capital of EU.

Maybe it's supposed to reduce nationalist barriers, but it's failing to do so. As for brands, people don't want a European brand. They want a Belgian, German, Dutch, French, British, whatever nationality's brand. Those nationalistic feelings are very much alive among the general public, much higher than among some high-ranked politicians I'd say. Of course this doesn't mean people will only fly the brand of their own country, but they want to know where the brand is coming from. A broader European brand doesn't have that.

aviationaware

Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:53 pm

NichCage wrote:

Also, LH has the right to fire the SN CEO just because they want the brand to turn into EW? That's brutal and rather sad to hear.

C-Suit executives, even in countries with strong labor laws like Germany and other European countries, can be fired at any time without any reason given. That's what the media doesn't tell you when they complain about those peoples' salaries.

Mortyman

Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:55 pm

Not happy about this news at all.

iadadd

Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:17 pm

I think the issue is LH doesn't really care nor understand about that niche, albeit profitable, African market that SN serves. LH probably assumes that they can just funnel passengers through ADD and expand codeshare with ET.

What LH sees is a relatively large city, Brussels, that can host as an additional hub in their network and take advantage of the fact that it already posses a decently sized long-haul fleet.

VolvoBus

Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:53 pm

bralo20 wrote:
KarelXWB wrote:
bralo20 wrote:

Would I be cynical to suggest that maybe Spohr saw Gustin as the heir apparent to his job, and in a fairly short time-scale?

berari

Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:06 pm

bralo20 wrote:

Maybe LH sees Brussels Airlines competing with its more premium product and looking to consolidate all that under LH?

Aisak wrote:

Doubt it. But Eurowings brand, service and cost structure may be even better suited for AFrica flights.

LJ

Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:12 pm

iadadd wrote:
I think the issue is LH doesn't really care nor understand about that niche, albeit profitable, African market that SN serves. LH probably assumes that they can just funnel passengers through ADD and expand codeshare with ET.

What LH sees is a relatively large city, Brussels, that can host as an additional hub in their network and take advantage of the fact that it already posses a decently sized long-haul fleet.

SN is more than a niche player in Africa. It has an extensive network in Europe and other long haul except Africa which must be profitable or else eat all the profits made on Africa flights (depending on the assumption that there is a very high profit margin as AF mentioned once that not all flights tp Africa make money due to the high costs). Moreover, I doubt LH wants to funnel the pax throuh ADD as it is less attractive unless they get a joint venture with profit sharing with ET. Anyway, you fail to see the strategic importance of SN to LH. BRU is between AMS and CDG and anything to make AF/KL unhappy is a good thing for LH and Star. With AMS at maximum capacity, it's a way of targetting the Dutch market . Thus not Brussels only.

bralo20
Topic Author

Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:19 pm

berari wrote:

Doubt it. But Eurowings brand, service and cost structure may be even better suited for AFrica flights.

Don't think so since there was a consensus to keep the Brussels Airlines brand for the African flights due to the fact that the Eurowings brand would fail in that market.

You might not know this but Brussels Airlines (and even their predecessor Sabena) has a very strong reputation in Africa maybe more so than Air France which is also an Africa specialist. It was also the sole airline that kept Africa connected during the serious Ebola crisis a while ago while every other airline abandoned them. This, maybe to some meaningless, gesture has created a certain loyalty to the airline in Africa more so than here in Europe.

bralo20
Topic Author

Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:22 pm

VolvoBus wrote:

Would I be cynical to suggest that maybe Spohr saw Gustin as the heir apparent to his job, and in a fairly short time-scale?

Unless Bernard Gustin changed his nationality from Belgian to German I doubt he would be a heir to Spohr's job, no matter how good his work is/was.

VolvoBus

Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:49 pm

bralo20 wrote:
VolvoBus wrote:

Unless Bernard Gustin changed his nationality from Belgian to German I doubt he would be a heir to Spohr's job, no matter how good his work is/was.

Probably true, but it is possible that Gustin's performance set an in-house standard for Spohr to match, even if he would not get the top job.
Quite possibly, they got fired, basically because they openly refused to accept that the sun shone out of Spohr's backside !

bralo20
Topic Author

Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:50 pm

Planesmart wrote:
Dismissal in this way, as opposed to resignation, may well suspend 'restraint of trade' employment clauses. Perhaps this successful double act will be turning up very soon to haunt their former masters?

Even if they could I doubt they would do it. It's not so easy to start an airline from scratch in Belgium nor do we have the market which can support that. Brussels Airlines was fairly quickly established thanks to being able to use Sabena's subsidiary DAT as the basis of the new airline. They had a valid AOC to start with, they had planes not tied up in the bankruptcy and they were supported by the government and regional shareholders. It was possible to restart quickly and with a fair amount of planes. And yet it took over a decade before they became profitable...

Starting from 0 is hard, look at Air Belgium, they exist for 2 years already and still haven't received the AOC to start operations. (although the fact that Air Belgium is actually a Chinese airline could be a big hurdle in the decision making process of the Belgian CAA).

And which name would the new airline use? The Brussels Airlines brand is owned by SN Airholding NV which is owned by Lufthansa, so even if Lufthansa abandons the brand eventually they'll never release it. Sabena? Same problem, although Sabena NV still exists (company in liquidation), the Sabena brand was transferred from Sabena NV to SN Airholding NV who bought it from the liquidation, so that brand is out of the question also. DAT (Delta Air Transport), same problem, ownership of the brand lies with SN Airholding NV.

bralo20
Topic Author

Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:55 pm

VolvoBus wrote:
Probably true, but it is possible that Gustin's performance set an in-house standard for Spohr to match, even if he would not get the top job.
Quite possibly, they got fired, basically because they openly refused to accept that the sun shone out of Spohr's backside !

That's indeed quite possible...

You can say what you want about Brussels Airlines but their results during the last couple of years are quite the example, they even managed to end 2016 with a profit despite the Brussels attacks which weight heavily on their results.

And indeed, it's very likely that the Belgians said "go fuck yourself" to the German owners (and certainly to Spohr). Belgium might be a small country but we do have a certain pride about our country even if it may not seem so for an foreigner :)

marcelh

Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:57 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
mercure1 wrote:

Maybe it's supposed to reduce nationalist barriers, but it's failing to do so. As for brands, people don't want a European brand. They want a Belgian, German, Dutch, French, British, whatever nationality's brand. Those nationalistic feelings are very much alive among the general public, much higher than among some high-ranked politicians I'd say. Of course this doesn't mean people will only fly the brand of their own country, but they want to know where the brand is coming from. A broader European brand doesn't have that.

There are already broader European brands. Ryanair, EasyJet, WizzAir and Norwegian employ people from all countries in the EU.

Blerg

Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:02 pm

Slightly off topic but does SN still operate the SSJ? Are they happy with it? Is there a chance of adding more of them to the fleet?

bralo20
Topic Author

Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:10 pm

Blerg wrote:
Slightly off topic but does SN still operate the SSJ? Are they happy with it? Is there a chance of adding more of them to the fleet?

Yes, Cityjet operates 5 SSJ's on behalf of Brussels Airlines, I think they are happy with it since they originally had 3 which has increased to 5.

Kilopond

Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:10 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
Maybe it's supposed to reduce nationalist barriers, but it's failing to do so. As for brands, people don't want a European brand.[...]

Since Western European cities are slowly but steadily turning into Molenbeek-type banlieues a fair majority of Europeans percieves any "EU/Euro-" branding as negative or even disgusting.

bralo20
Topic Author

Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:13 pm

marcelh wrote:
There are already broader European brands. Ryanair, EasyJet, WizzAir and Norwegian employ people from all countries in the EU.

Yes but not always (very) successful, Ryanair, Easyjet, Vueling all quietly decreased the number of flights in BRU because people kept on flying with Brussels Airlines (and others off course). So there are still a bunch of customers loyal to a national airline ;)

workhorse

Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:31 pm

Lufthansa Group is the Mordor of airlines.

OA940

Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:12 pm

Bricktop wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
OA940 wrote:

They have a perfect right to do that, just as LH can do what they want. Good, bad or indifferent decision, it's LH's call to make. It takes a lot of intestinal fortitude to tell your bosses and owners no, so good for them

It is their right, but SN is a national airline. With actual good (-ish) service. People love them. Imagine what would happen if AF, BA, AC, SU, CX, QF etc. were turned into LCC's. The public would go nuts. Which is what will happen now. I mean sure people will still fly them, but not as much as before. There are tons of people who would prefer paying 100-200$ extra to get actual free service on their 10-hour flights.
A350/CSeries = bae

YangFeng

Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:36 am

iadadd wrote:

Don't be absurd. Everybody including LH management understands that and why again is Lufthansa CEO Carsten saying that Africa will be their biggest growth market in the future? http://www.airliners.de/kranich-konzern-afrika/43578 (German)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos