Mex87
Topic Author
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:33 am

Hainan Airlines to TIJ and MEX

Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:01 pm

Hainan Airlines plans to operate a 3x week flight, linking the chinese capital (Beijing) with Tijuana and Mexico City.

Spanish only, but it states that this will be the first chinese airline to fly non-stop to Latin America (CZ Guangzhou-Mexico City flight has a stop at Vancouver, and CA flights from Beijing to Sao Paulo and Havana stop at Madrid and Montréal, respectively).

http://www.hoylosangeles.com/efe-3512003-13810360-20180202-story.html
 
EddieDude
Posts: 6975
Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2003 10:19 am

Re: Hainan Airlines to TIJ and MEX

Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:28 pm

Oh cool. Finally there is a date! Beginning of the northern hemisphere spring. Congrats and all the best to Hainan! AM had been mulling MEX-PEK (possibly via TIJ too) for quite some time. Conesa even hinted that PEK would likely happen soon, but nothing so far. Hainan will have first mover's advantage. It is great to have more variety of widebodies from afar at MEX... now if we could only land an A350-900...
Upcoming flights:
May: AM MEX-CUN 73H (Y), AM CUN-MEX 73W (Y).
August: KL MEX-AMS 74M (J), KQ AMS-NBO 788 (J).
 
User avatar
TWA772LR
Posts: 6834
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:12 am

Re: Hainan Airlines to TIJ and MEX

Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:32 pm

Will they stop in TIJ and have traffic rights in both directions on TIJ-PEK if so? That'd be a good way to effectively give San Diego a nonstop to PEK.
When wasn't America great?


The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.
 
by738
Posts: 2997
Joined: Wed Sep 20, 2000 7:59 am

Re: Hainan Airlines to TIJ and MEX

Fri Feb 02, 2018 7:48 pm

and DUB too.... mmm rapid expansion, financial issues.... who does that remind us of?
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 5113
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: Hainan Airlines to TIJ and MEX

Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:12 pm

TWA772LR wrote:
That'd be a good way to effectively give San Diego a nonstop to PEK.

I disagree. I don't know what the immigration/visa/passport implications are - a U.S. citizen flying to China out of Mexico? - but I bet that HU will get very few of the San Diego-area travelers heading for China on their flights from TIJ. It might sound like a no-brainer -- SAN and TIJ are only about 30 miles apart -- but there's this international border in between the two! That makes a big difference; this is not like Minneapolis and St. Paul sharing one big airport.

It can't hurt HU to hope they will be able to tap into the San Diego-China market but I hope they aren't counting on it to make the TIJ-stops financially viable.

Don't forget that AM tried the same thing a couple of years ago, MEX-China via TIJ, without, to my understanding, much success.

This will be interesting to follow as we wait for the China-U.S. aviation situation to change allowing a nonstop flight from Lindbergh Field to China.

bb
 
classicjets
Posts: 251
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:15 am

Re: Hainan Airlines to TIJ and MEX

Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:21 pm

SANFan wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
That'd be a good way to effectively give San Diego a nonstop to PEK.

I disagree. I don't know what the immigration/visa/passport implications are - a U.S. citizen flying to China out of Mexico? - but I bet that HU will get very few of the San Diego-area travelers heading for China on their flights from TIJ. It might sound like a no-brainer -- SAN and TIJ are only about 30 miles apart -- but there's this international border in between the two! That makes a big difference; this is not like Minneapolis and St. Paul sharing one big airport.

It can't hurt HU to hope they will be able to tap into the San Diego-China market but I hope they aren't counting on it to make the TIJ-stops financially viable.

Don't forget that AM tried the same thing a couple of years ago, MEX-China via TIJ, without, to my understanding, much success.

This will be interesting to follow as we wait for the China-U.S. aviation situation to change allowing a nonstop flight from Lindbergh Field to China.

bb


And there are also parking and check in facilities on the US side and a footbridge over the border directly into the TIJ terminal. It is a popular way for San Diegans to access cheap flights within Mexico as well as AM's existing service to PVG. Check out Cross Border Xpress.
 
SANMAN66
Posts: 886
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:37 pm

Re: Hainan Airlines to TIJ and MEX

Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:38 pm

SANFan wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
That'd be a good way to effectively give San Diego a nonstop to PEK.

I disagree. I don't know what the immigration/visa/passport implications are - a U.S. citizen flying to China out of Mexico? - but I bet that HU will get very few of the San Diego-area travelers heading for China on their flights from TIJ. It might sound like a no-brainer -- SAN and TIJ are only about 30 miles apart -- but there's this international border in between the two! That makes a big difference; this is not like Minneapolis and St. Paul sharing one big airport.

It can't hurt HU to hope they will be able to tap into the San Diego-China market but I hope they aren't counting on it to make the TIJ-stops financially viable.

Don't forget that AM tried the same thing a couple of years ago, MEX-China via TIJ, without, to my understanding, much success.

This will be interesting to follow as we wait for the China-U.S. aviation situation to change allowing a nonstop flight from Lindbergh Field to China.

bb


I agree too! I have been skeptical about this flight ever since it was announced. If AM downgraded their TIJ-PVG flight to
just a refuelling stop, what makes Hainan think they would succeed where AM failed? there was next to no local pax on the
TIJ-PVG leg, most all the pax came up from MEX, that's why it's nonstop back to MEX. Most SAN pax travelling to China will
still go up to LAX, despite the CBX bridge (pretty much what they're doing now.), I can bet Aeromexico doesn't like the idea
of Hainan moving in to compete.
PSA Gives you a lift!
 
Yahnih
Posts: 112
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:07 am

Re: Hainan Airlines to TIJ and MEX

Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:46 pm

I think I’ll be trying to use that flight. I thought the CBX was doing well? I’m pretty sure if enough attractive long haul flights start coming to TIJ, I have no doubt the customers will follow. (I.e. ontario and China Airlines). I’d rather do the CBX than drive to LAX. If we can get a korean Air! Please SAN read these threads haha. There is a sizable chinese, korean and Japanese population in Tijuana btw. Also, for Chinese passengers they might be attracted to HU over AM, those things matter to Asian passengers. I did market studies in Business school and Asian are some of the largest loyalists to national Airlines. Rather than flying on foreign bodies to their homeland
 
dodgers702
Posts: 87
Joined: Wed Jan 25, 2017 9:40 pm

Re: Hainan Airlines to TIJ and MEX

Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:52 pm

Finally! hadn't HU been trying to plan this route years ago? Well I'm glad to see it finally materialize. Good luck to them and hopefully we can see more than a 3 weekly service. Asian airlines are starting to target Mexico and Latin America for destinations. I was reading not too long ago that China Eastern may jump aboard also. That with JAL and AM beginning a code-share agreement this year its good to see such expansion in Mexico. Now only if any of the big ME3 and Turkish airlines would find a way to tap into the Mexican destinations soon!
 
User avatar
ghost77
Posts: 4521
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2000 2:07 pm

Re: Hainan Airlines to TIJ and MEX

Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:03 pm

SANMAN66 wrote:
I agree too! I have been skeptical about this flight ever since it was announced. If AM downgraded their TIJ-PVG flight to
just a refuelling stop, what makes Hainan think they would succeed where AM failed? there was next to no local pax on the
TIJ-PVG leg, most all the pax came up from MEX, that's why it's nonstop back to MEX. Most SAN pax travelling to China will
still go up to LAX, despite the CBX bridge (pretty much what they're doing now.), I can bet Aeromexico doesn't like the idea
of Hainan moving in to compete.


1) Aeromexico increased to 5 weekly their flights from Tijuana to Shanghai since the last year; they actually upgraded the service to Mexico City by establishing the return flight nonstop, as they are more interested in enhacing their main hub in MEX that building up another one. Inbound passengers to Tijuana are funnelled through MEX.

2) The true is that around 15 to 20% of the passengers flying on the TIJ-PVG sector are boarding locally, thus far away from zero.

3) Hainan will not compete directly with Aeromexico, since their destinations in China are Beijing and Shanghai, respectively.

g77
Ricardo Morales - flyAPM - ¡No es que maneje rapido, solo estoy volando lento!
 
Mex87
Topic Author
Posts: 49
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 6:33 am

Re: Hainan Airlines to TIJ and MEX

Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:13 pm

dodgers702 wrote:
Finally! hadn't HU been trying to plan this route years ago? Well I'm glad to see it finally materialize. Good luck to them and hopefully we can see more than a 3 weekly service. Asian airlines are starting to target Mexico and Latin America for destinations. I was reading not too long ago that China Eastern may jump aboard also. That with JAL and AM beginning a code-share agreement this year its good to see such expansion in Mexico. Now only if any of the big ME3 and Turkish airlines would find a way to tap into the Mexican destinations soon!


Yes! If I recall correctly, the flight was first considered in 2007-2008.

About the ME3, just wait for the new MEX! Slots are maxed out :(
However, the new MEX will open new markets, those kind of markets the 787 was targeted for.
 
User avatar
TheRedBaron
Posts: 3272
Joined: Tue Mar 29, 2005 6:17 am

Re: Hainan Airlines to TIJ and MEX

Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:16 pm

They need to be extra careful how they are going to use this route, if they are going to use a 787 in high density and give a good price, or go premium and ensure cargo ( that i think is quite good on this segment), because of the TIJ stop. Maybe they need a non stop each direction and use a restricted weight flight and go for premium pax. I´d love to fly to China this year and use a different airline just for the sake of it.... hope they succeed

Best Regards
TRB
The best seat in a Plane is the Jumpseat.
 
AntonioMartin
Posts: 531
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:58 am

Re: Hainan Airlines to TIJ and MEX

Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:08 am

by738 wrote:
and DUB too.... mmm rapid expansion, financial issues.... who does that remind us of?

People Xpress??? :razz:
 
AntonioMartin
Posts: 531
Joined: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:58 am

Re: Hainan Airlines to TIJ and MEX

Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:10 am

Mex87 wrote:
dodgers702 wrote:
Finally! hadn't HU been trying to plan this route years ago? Well I'm glad to see it finally materialize. Good luck to them and hopefully we can see more than a 3 weekly service. Asian airlines are starting to target Mexico and Latin America for destinations. I was reading not too long ago that China Eastern may jump aboard also. That with JAL and AM beginning a code-share agreement this year its good to see such expansion in Mexico. Now only if any of the big ME3 and Turkish airlines would find a way to tap into the Mexican destinations soon!

the new MEX! .

When will that be?
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 4994
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Hainan Airlines to TIJ and MEX

Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:02 am

I remember several years ago, HU was interested in the PEK-SEA-MEX route.
 
LatinPlane
Posts: 2573
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 1999 11:05 am

Re: Hainan Airlines to TIJ and MEX

Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:44 am

SANFan wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
That'd be a good way to effectively give San Diego a nonstop to PEK.

I disagree. I don't know what the immigration/visa/passport implications are - a U.S. citizen flying to China out of Mexico? - but I bet that HU will get very few of the San Diego-area travelers heading for China on their flights from TIJ. It might sound like a no-brainer -- SAN and TIJ are only about 30 miles apart -- but there's this international border in between the two! That makes a big difference; this is not like Minneapolis and St. Paul sharing one big airport.

It can't hurt HU to hope they will be able to tap into the San Diego-China market but I hope they aren't counting on it to make the TIJ-stops financially viable.

Don't forget that AM tried the same thing a couple of years ago, MEX-China via TIJ, without, to my understanding, much success.

This will be interesting to follow as we wait for the China-U.S. aviation situation to change allowing a nonstop flight from Lindbergh Field to China.

bb


They are obviously going for the Mexico City - Beijing market, but with the added bonus that they can attract passengers from San Diego. The Chinese airlines are known for their heavily discounts and promotion to attract passengers. This will not be a problem. They will create a demand where it didn't exist before. Americans don't need a passport to enter Mexico and Chinese tourist flying to the U.S. via TIJ will only be on transit as they make their way thru the airport facilities and onto the border via the bridge. When AM was offering both TIJ-NRT-TIJ and TIJ-PVG-TIJ the Airport Cross Border Express was not yet opened so your argument isn't quite valid. Even now as already noted, on the TIJ-PVG segment, AM fills the plane with 15-20% of its passengers embarking at TIJ.

Since the Airport Cross Border Express opened the airport has been BOOMING! http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-News/Airline-News/Cross-border-bridge-boosts-Tijuana-airport

New routes out of Tijuana thanks to the Cross Border Express now include:

-San Salvador
-Guatemala
-Managua, Nicaragua
-San Jose, Costa Rica

These destinations were impossible a few years ago without the Cross Border Express.

I can't say it's impossible for them to fail as god knows the finances of the HNA group are quite shady, but it is not stopping them.
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 9481
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Hainan Airlines to TIJ and MEX

Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:05 am

As discussed in the past the CBX is not designed with international transfers in mind, it is meant for domestic Mexican flights and is effectively the same as using a land boarding crossing in the area. It does not connect to the international terminal in TIJ. US passengers would have to go through Mexican customs/immigrations, drop their bags off, go through Mexican security to get on their flight, and then on the return have to go through Mexican customs/immigration, walk over to the domestic Mex baggage claim and then go through US customs/immigration to enter the US.

And Americans may not need a passport to enter Mexico but they certainly need one to enter China.
 
nine4nine
Posts: 502
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:44 pm

Re: Hainan Airlines to TIJ and MEX

Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:34 am

LatinPlane wrote:
SANFan wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
That'd be a good way to effectively give San Diego a nonstop to PEK.

I disagree. I don't know what the immigration/visa/passport implications are - a U.S. citizen flying to China out of Mexico? - but I bet that HU will get very few of the San Diego-area travelers heading for China on their flights from TIJ. It might sound like a no-brainer -- SAN and TIJ are only about 30 miles apart -- but there's this international border in between the two! That makes a big difference; this is not like Minneapolis and St. Paul sharing one big airport.

It can't hurt HU to hope they will be able to tap into the San Diego-China market but I hope they aren't counting on it to make the TIJ-stops financially viable.

Don't forget that AM tried the same thing a couple of years ago, MEX-China via TIJ, without, to my understanding, much success.

This will be interesting to follow as we wait for the China-U.S. aviation situation to change allowing a nonstop flight from Lindbergh Field to China.

bb


They are obviously going for the Mexico City - Beijing market, but with the added bonus that they can attract passengers from San Diego. The Chinese airlines are known for their heavily discounts and promotion to attract passengers. This will not be a problem. They will create a demand where it didn't exist before. Americans don't need a passport to enter Mexico and Chinese tourist flying to the U.S. via TIJ will only be on transit as they make their way thru the airport facilities and onto the border via the bridge. When AM was offering both TIJ-NRT-TIJ and TIJ-PVG-TIJ the Airport Cross Border Express was not yet opened so your argument isn't quite valid. Even now as already noted, on the TIJ-PVG segment, AM fills the plane with 15-20% of its passengers embarking at TIJ.

Since the Airport Cross Border Express opened the airport has been BOOMING! http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-News/Airline-News/Cross-border-bridge-boosts-Tijuana-airport

New routes out of Tijuana thanks to the Cross Border Express now include:

-San Salvador
-Guatemala
-Managua, Nicaragua
-San Jose, Costa Rica

These destinations were impossible a few years ago without the Cross Border Express.

I can't say it's impossible for them to fail as god knows the finances of the HNA group are quite shady, but it is not stopping them.


Agree. The Cross Border Express is amazing. I used it twice last year for AM flights to HAV connecting thru MEX and will be using it to MGA in about a month. I could have paid $675 RT from LAX but I scored a fare to MGA from TIJ for about $220 RT. Savings are great if you’re headed south into Latin America via TIJ.
717 727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 742 748 752 753 762 763 772 773 DC9 MD80/88/90 DC10 319 320 321 332 333 CS100 CRJ200 Q400 E175 E190 ERJ145 EMB120
 
LatinPlane
Posts: 2573
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 1999 11:05 am

Re: Hainan Airlines to TIJ and MEX

Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:19 am

Polot wrote:
As discussed in the past the CBX is not designed with international transfers in mind, it is meant for domestic Mexican flights and is effectively the same as using a land boarding crossing in the area. It does not connect to the international terminal in TIJ. US passengers would have to go through Mexican customs/immigrations, drop their bags off, go through Mexican security to get on their flight, and then on the return have to go through Mexican customs/immigration, walk over to the domestic Mex baggage claim and then go through US customs/immigration to enter the US.

And Americans may not need a passport to enter Mexico but they certainly need one to enter China.


And your point is exactly what? They were going to get a Chinese visa to get to mainland China even if they flew nonstop from LAX or were on a connection via the various options once popular of ICN, NRT, TPE, and so forth. It is quite obvious the CBX is primarily conceived for Mexican's living in the US flying home to Mexico, but as Volaris has discovered there is an unexploited afterthought niche for passengers provided with a great deal to alternative places than Mexico. Whether you agree if its suitable, TIJ offers nonstop service to: San Salvador, Guatemala, Managua, Costa Rica. If your assumption was correct, these routes would not exist as the passengers on these planes are using the CBX headed to/from the US. Build it and they will come! That's the reality, not your or my opinion! Prior to opening of the CBX as it was still in planning stages, I too was a naysayer and thought such options would never work. Who would fly from SoCal to San Salvador or Managua when one can fly nonstop by various airlines from LAX! Apparently there's a market under the right conditions and my opinion was invalid.

For all the naysayers, the market will decide! We will have the results in a few months and at that point we can analyse and have valid data to scrutinize. The DGAC, Mexico (Directorate of General Civil Aeronautics of Mexico) is extremely transparent with data and the numbers are easily available to the general public on a monthly basis for all international routes. For example, China Southern's CAN-YVR-MEX is a disaster in terms of profitability! Since the route started in early 2017, CZ has only flown 8,877 passengers from Mexico City to Guangzhou on the 226 flights performed in 2017. That is a paltry 39 passengers that fly from MEX to YVR to continue on to CAN! Obviously, this is a poor performer, but China Southern doesn't seem worried just yet. Perhaps Hainan is coming in better equipped to take over, or it may just be that for both this is political in nature to further China's mission to foster business ties with Mexico as the goal in the big picture.

And pardon my grammar on my first threat. I should not be carelessly replying to threads at work without proofreading my material. :rotfl:

China Southern's Dreamliner with 39 pax on average taking off from MEX below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZW4KS8GHpc
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.
 
DesertAir
Posts: 1417
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:34 am

Re: Hainan Airlines to TIJ and MEX

Sat Feb 03, 2018 1:10 pm

And Americans may not need a passport to enter Mexico but they certainly need one to enter China.[/quote]

I am an US citizen who lives in Tijuana. Yes, Americans need a passport to enter into Mexico. A visa is issued upon entry. The passport will be needed to return to the United States.
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 9481
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Hainan Airlines to TIJ and MEX

Sat Feb 03, 2018 4:21 pm

LatinPlane wrote:
Polot wrote:
As discussed in the past the CBX is not designed with international transfers in mind, it is meant for domestic Mexican flights and is effectively the same as using a land boarding crossing in the area. It does not connect to the international terminal in TIJ. US passengers would have to go through Mexican customs/immigrations, drop their bags off, go through Mexican security to get on their flight, and then on the return have to go through Mexican customs/immigration, walk over to the domestic Mex baggage claim and then go through US customs/immigration to enter the US.

And Americans may not need a passport to enter Mexico but they certainly need one to enter China.


And your point is exactly what? They were going to get a Chinese visa to get to mainland China even if they flew nonstop from LAX or were on a connection via the various options once popular of ICN, NRT, TPE, and so forth. It is quite obvious the CBX is primarily conceived for Mexican's living in the US flying home to Mexico, but as Volaris has discovered there is an unexploited afterthought niche for passengers provided with a great deal to alternative places than Mexico. Whether you agree if its suitable, TIJ offers nonstop service to: San Salvador, Guatemala, Managua, Costa Rica. If your assumption was correct, these routes would not exist as the passengers on these planes are using the CBX headed to/from the US. Build it and they will come! That's the reality, not your or my opinion! Prior to opening of the CBX as it was still in planning stages, I too was a naysayer and thought such options would never work. Who would fly from SoCal to San Salvador or Managua when one can fly nonstop by various airlines from LAX! Apparently there's a market under the right conditions and my opinion was invalid.

Your assumption is that you are taking Volaris PR at face value and just assuming those routes were started/made possible because of the CBX. For example, was Costa Rica really started because of the CBX...or because Volaris is building a hub in Costa Rica with their Volaris Costa Rica subsidiary?

Just because the airline says something to reporters does not make it 100% true.
 
HeeseokKoo
Posts: 816
Joined: Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:54 pm

Re: Hainan Airlines to TIJ and MEX

Sat Feb 03, 2018 5:56 pm

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/ai ... 18-launch/
HU7925 PEK1710 – 1425TIJ1625 – 2130MEX 787 135
HU7926 MEX2330 – 0045+1TIJ0345+1 – 0805+2PEK 787 135

Chinese carriers don't have any further operational rights into the US from PEK or PVG or CAN. So PEK-TIJ was a matter of time to access SAN area, but schedule sucks out of SAN (TIJ). Layovers at TIJ are quite long - 2hr outbound, 3hr inbound.
 
theobcman
Posts: 578
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:16 am

Re: Hainan Airlines to TIJ and MEX

Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:49 pm

What pax traffic is linking China with Mexico ?! Business/tourism ? It seems a rather strange combination.
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 5113
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: Hainan Airlines to TIJ and MEX

Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:57 pm

Just thinking out loud here but to San Diegans considering using this new HU TIJ-PEK service, especially those who are SAN av enthusiasts -- and you know who you are! -- I would think the success of TIJ-Asia flights might just diminish the chances of our seeing nonstops from SDIA.

Seems to me that if lots and lots of San Diegans use the HU flights from TIJ, what is the incentive for HU, or anyone else, possibly including other Asian cx such as KE, to start service out of SAN? For whatever reason unknown to us, a whole bunch of int'l flags might just begin serving Rodriguez Airport rather than Lindbergh Field. I can see things really heading downhill at SDIA, particularly regarding our very nicely expanding selection of intercontinental destinations.

Perhaps something to think about...

bb
 
wedgetail737
Posts: 4994
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2003 8:44 am

Re: Hainan Airlines to TIJ and MEX

Sat Feb 03, 2018 8:52 pm

nine4nine wrote:
LatinPlane wrote:
SANFan wrote:
I disagree. I don't know what the immigration/visa/passport implications are - a U.S. citizen flying to China out of Mexico? - but I bet that HU will get very few of the San Diego-area travelers heading for China on their flights from TIJ. It might sound like a no-brainer -- SAN and TIJ are only about 30 miles apart -- but there's this international border in between the two! That makes a big difference; this is not like Minneapolis and St. Paul sharing one big airport.

It can't hurt HU to hope they will be able to tap into the San Diego-China market but I hope they aren't counting on it to make the TIJ-stops financially viable.

Don't forget that AM tried the same thing a couple of years ago, MEX-China via TIJ, without, to my understanding, much success.

This will be interesting to follow as we wait for the China-U.S. aviation situation to change allowing a nonstop flight from Lindbergh Field to China.

bb


They are obviously going for the Mexico City - Beijing market, but with the added bonus that they can attract passengers from San Diego. The Chinese airlines are known for their heavily discounts and promotion to attract passengers. This will not be a problem. They will create a demand where it didn't exist before. Americans don't need a passport to enter Mexico and Chinese tourist flying to the U.S. via TIJ will only be on transit as they make their way thru the airport facilities and onto the border via the bridge. When AM was offering both TIJ-NRT-TIJ and TIJ-PVG-TIJ the Airport Cross Border Express was not yet opened so your argument isn't quite valid. Even now as already noted, on the TIJ-PVG segment, AM fills the plane with 15-20% of its passengers embarking at TIJ.

Since the Airport Cross Border Express opened the airport has been BOOMING! http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-News/Airline-News/Cross-border-bridge-boosts-Tijuana-airport

New routes out of Tijuana thanks to the Cross Border Express now include:

-San Salvador
-Guatemala
-Managua, Nicaragua
-San Jose, Costa Rica

These destinations were impossible a few years ago without the Cross Border Express.

I can't say it's impossible for them to fail as god knows the finances of the HNA group are quite shady, but it is not stopping them.


Agree. The Cross Border Express is amazing. I used it twice last year for AM flights to HAV connecting thru MEX and will be using it to MGA in about a month. I could have paid $675 RT from LAX but I scored a fare to MGA from TIJ for about $220 RT. Savings are great if you’re headed south into Latin America via TIJ.


How long does it take to process through the facility?
 
DesertAir
Posts: 1417
Joined: Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:34 am

Re: Hainan Airlines to TIJ and MEX

Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:16 pm

theobcman wrote:
What pax traffic is linking China with Mexico ?! Business/tourism ? It seems a rather strange combination.


Tijuana has a large multigenerational Chinese population as well as Mexicali and Ensenada. There is significant Asian investment in Tijuana: Chinese, Korean and some Japanese. Also since TJ is a type of hub for Volaris, Interjet and Aeromexico with flights to many parts of the Mexican republic, this option may be attractive. Another interesting fact, more than 5, 000 Chinese cross the boarder weekly for tourism. Local immigration officials offer tourist visas in Mandarin.
 
LatinPlane
Posts: 2573
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 1999 11:05 am

Re: Hainan Airlines to TIJ and MEX

Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:43 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
How long does it take to process through the facility?


In some cases when the queues are short only 15 mins. Check out this youtube video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kqgmu1OcHM4

I know Chilean friends of mine that have gone all the way down from LA to catch a flight headed to SCL via MEX because it was significantly much better prized than what was available of LAX. I found it very strange, but it's a reality in this day in age.

I think it's somewhat similar to the market that Allegiant Air created for themselves attracting Canadians to fly from US border airports like Bellingham, WA., and Plattsburgh and Buffalo/Niagara in NY. Except in this scenario you don't have to drive miles, a bridge will take you to the other side in minutes.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/todayinthesky/2014/04/03/allegiant-courts-fliers-in-a-county-it-doesnt-serve/7230139/

theobcman wrote:
What pax traffic is linking China with Mexico ?! Business/tourism ? It seems a rather strange combination


Both business and tourism thanks to Donald Trump. See video-->https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdLYILLtoxg

in 2017, AM's MEX-TIJ-PVG flight transported close to 80,000 passengers representing a 76% load factor for the year. Overall, Asian business trade and tourism with Mexico is booming. All of its three routes to Asia are performing extremely well.
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 23834
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: Hainan Airlines to TIJ and MEX

Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:05 am

Sure some in San Diego can use the HU flights, but its far from ideal on return.
CBX is not connected to the international arrivals at TIJ, so US destined HU passenger would first need to clear Mexican immigration and formally enter the country, then suppose clear security(if even allowed) into the TIJ domestic section, then proceed to the CBX to clear US CBP. Seems like quite a run around.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
SANMAN66
Posts: 886
Joined: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:37 pm

Re: Hainan Airlines to TIJ and MEX

Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:50 am

LatinPlane wrote:
in 2017, AM's MEX-TIJ-PVG flight transported close to 80,000 passengers representing a 76% load factor for the year. Overall, Asian business trade and tourism with Mexico is booming. All of its three routes to Asia are performing extremely well.


I was mentioning in another thread, TIJ is listed as serving both Tijuana and San Diego, (I guess the CBX had something to do with that), so
technically it's TIJ/SAN. TIJ would be the airport handling the Asian flights, while SAN handles the European flights, with the many European
carriers already serving SAN.
PSA Gives you a lift!
 
LatinPlane
Posts: 2573
Joined: Mon Dec 27, 1999 11:05 am

Re: Hainan Airlines to TIJ and MEX

Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:14 am

LAXintl wrote:
Sure some in San Diego can use the HU flights, but its far from ideal on return.
CBX is not connected to the international arrivals at TIJ, so US destined HU passenger would first need to clear Mexican immigration and formally enter the country, then suppose clear security(if even allowed) into the TIJ domestic section, then proceed to the CBX to clear US CBP. Seems like quite a run around.


You're making it sound complicated. It is not! There are two Mexican immigration lines 1.) for the normal passengers staying in Mexico 2.) for those using the CBX. In this case the Mexican immigration clearance is merely a spot check. TIJ airport is not big. The whole process of going from the plane to the U.S. side took me 18 minutes! I kid you not, having only my carry-on luggage on a business trip. Clearing U.S. immigration took 5 minutes!

Having arrived at Tom Bradley from a transpacific flight in the middle of rush hour has taken me sometimes 1:45 minutes to clear immigration and out the door of TBIT to wait another 30 minutes for the Flyaway bus. Tijuana felt like using Burbank Airport.
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.
 
c933103
Posts: 3824
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: Hainan Airlines to TIJ and MEX

Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:51 am

Edit: As the US-China bilateral is currently maxed out and there are iirc no direct flight between SAN and China now, it could be a way to serve the San Diego area before any changes with the bilateral is to occur, instead of connecting those passengers onto other flights
SANFan wrote:
Just thinking out loud here but to San Diegans considering using this new HU TIJ-PEK service, especially those who are SAN av enthusiasts -- and you know who you are! -- I would think the success of TIJ-Asia flights might just diminish the chances of our seeing nonstops from SDIA.

Seems to me that if lots and lots of San Diegans use the HU flights from TIJ, what is the incentive for HU, or anyone else, possibly including other Asian cx such as KE, to start service out of SAN? For whatever reason unknown to us, a whole bunch of int'l flags might just begin serving Rodriguez Airport rather than Lindbergh Field. I can see things really heading downhill at SDIA, particularly regarding our very nicely expanding selection of intercontinental destinations.

Perhaps something to think about...

bb

It is not like they can just add a flight to the US anytime soon, as the bilateral limit have been reached.
When no other countries around the world is going to militarily stop China and its subordinate fom abusing its citizens within its national boundary, it is unreasonable to expect those abuse can be countered with purely peaceful means.
 
pzurita1
Posts: 1243
Joined: Tue Sep 24, 2002 11:21 am

Re: Hainan Airlines to TIJ and MEX

Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:37 pm

Though it has been officialy announced by both Chinese and Mexican authorities, flights are still not loaded. Despite being said services will start in 31st March, no operation days have been disclosed (only 3x, but not specific days). You cannot buy tickets on Hainan Airlines (MEX and TIJ are alredy listed as destinations).
Anyone knows better?
Next flight: IAH-DBX-MRU-ANT
 
User avatar
SANFan
Posts: 5113
Joined: Sun Aug 06, 2006 10:10 am

Re: Hainan Airlines to TIJ and MEX

Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:02 pm

pzurita1 wrote:
Though it has been officialy announced by both Chinese and Mexican authorities, flights are still not loaded. Despite being said services will start in 31st March, no operation days have been disclosed (only 3x, but not specific days). You cannot buy tickets on Hainan Airlines (MEX and TIJ are alredy listed as destinations). Anyone knows better?

Yeah, I was going to mention, this seems like a really short lead time -- early Feb announcement with an end-of-March start! For a long-haul, intercontinental routé.

And as you've mentioned, the various places I've looked all seem to have different schedules for the service. Kind of odd.

I will be watching this whole thing with interest...

bb
 
nine4nine
Posts: 502
Joined: Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:44 pm

Re: Hainan Airlines to TIJ and MEX

Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:05 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
nine4nine wrote:
LatinPlane wrote:

They are obviously going for the Mexico City - Beijing market, but with the added bonus that they can attract passengers from San Diego. The Chinese airlines are known for their heavily discounts and promotion to attract passengers. This will not be a problem. They will create a demand where it didn't exist before. Americans don't need a passport to enter Mexico and Chinese tourist flying to the U.S. via TIJ will only be on transit as they make their way thru the airport facilities and onto the border via the bridge. When AM was offering both TIJ-NRT-TIJ and TIJ-PVG-TIJ the Airport Cross Border Express was not yet opened so your argument isn't quite valid. Even now as already noted, on the TIJ-PVG segment, AM fills the plane with 15-20% of its passengers embarking at TIJ.

Since the Airport Cross Border Express opened the airport has been BOOMING! http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-News/Airline-News/Cross-border-bridge-boosts-Tijuana-airport

New routes out of Tijuana thanks to the Cross Border Express now include:

-San Salvador
-Guatemala
-Managua, Nicaragua
-San Jose, Costa Rica

These destinations were impossible a few years ago without the Cross Border Express.

I can't say it's impossible for them to fail as god knows the finances of the HNA group are quite shady, but it is not stopping them.


Agree. The Cross Border Express is amazing. I used it twice last year for AM flights to HAV connecting thru MEX and will be using it to MGA in about a month. I could have paid $675 RT from LAX but I scored a fare to MGA from TIJ for about $220 RT. Savings are great if you’re headed south into Latin America via TIJ.


How long does it take to process through the facility?



Every time I’ve used it no longer than 15-20 minutes from the door of the plane to my car door. I’ve never encountered a line of any sort going thru US Customs on arrival.
717 727 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 742 748 752 753 762 763 772 773 DC9 MD80/88/90 DC10 319 320 321 332 333 CS100 CRJ200 Q400 E175 E190 ERJ145 EMB120

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos