1337Delta764

Re: Amazon Fleet Growth - 2018

Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:32 pm

frmrCapCadet wrote:
I am curious about the economics of Prime and Hawaii. Does Amazon use marine shipping to maintain stock somewhere in Hawaii? What is the availability of cargo space on planes inter island? Marine shipping can be pretty expensive. I understand some but not all items are available via Prime. Walmart and Costco would seem to face similar problems in shipping problems.

There probably are some academic papers on this sort of thing. Oddly, here in the Northwest there is a similar problem. Vancouver Island has a decently large population, but no possibility of a bridge to the mainland. One person told me that trucking and barges pretty much split the transportation market.

I know in the past, Amazon has used a mix of ParcelPool/International Bridge (this was the majority for lightweight packages), USPS First Class or Priority Mail, and UPS or FedEx second day shipping (or next day for those who paid for faster shipping). With Amazon Air now flying to Hawaii, not sure what percent of packages going to Hawaii they handle now. Probably some of the package demand will still overflow to other carriers.

I have noticed recently for Puerto Rico shipping seems to be improving, with processing time being reduced and more shipments going via USPS Priority Mail instead of via ParcelPool/International Bridge.
Yes, I wear Fairy Tale Pink IZOD shirts. I am a real man.

frmrCapCadet

Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:44 pm

1337...... Thanks. These sorts of shipping problems really seem to imvolve trade secrets. I know going over to Vancouver Island the ferry traffic does not seem to have enough trucks to come close to doing the job. I suspect that it would take a parcel of cargo loaders reporting their guesses to come up with good answers. I have friends in Hawaii who still don't use Amazon. I am astounded.
Buffet: the airline business...has eaten up capital...like..no other (business)

cvgComair

Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:36 am

Amazon resumed operating CVG-PDX-CVG yesterday, nice to see that destination on the route map!

yochai

Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:29 pm

N1487A finally pushed out of the hangar in TLV early this afternoon and performed a high power engine run up prior to a test flight in the coming days.

wjcandee

Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:41 pm

yochai wrote:
N1487A finally pushed out of the hangar in TLV early this afternoon and performed a high power engine run up prior to a test flight in the coming days.

Woo-hoo! I had been looking for a test flight. Glad it's finally going to happen! Thanks for keeping us updated, Yochai!

Whiplash6

Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:43 pm

yochai wrote:

Can’t wait to fly it. I’m sure it’s a peach like all the other ones. /s

wjcandee

Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:45 pm

Whiplash6 wrote:
yochai wrote:

I got a good giggle from that, Whip!

You mean they're not the same as factory-fresh?

I'm sure that the Garuda/AirTours/MyTravel pedigree of the thing had nothing to do with why it was in maintenance/conversion for 9.5 months...

wjcandee

Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:02 pm

cvgComair wrote:
Amazon resumed operating CVG-PDX-CVG yesterday, nice to see that destination on the route map!

Good catch! You know, I think the earlier incarnation of this flight was CVG-PDX-SEA-CVG, to account for directionality in the traffic during the time it was flying. I wonder what changed that they would revive it as an out-and-back. If I recall, it seemed like the PDX-SEA stub was non-optimal in terms of utility, so there must have been some analysis of (or change in) the traffic flows that led to this particular routing.

travaz

Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:22 am

Interestingly we are getting close to the Black Friday Crush. I know it's a little away but coming fast. I see some interesting routing and number of flights. It is going to be fun to watch this year. I see the Prime airplane coming over my house everyday. PHX seems to be busy for Prime and hope we get a few more Airplanes. I can hope anyway!
Hey WJ keep up all the good info always enjoy your post.

BTVB6Flyer

Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:35 am

Atlas has started a RFD-TPA-SCK routing, TPA growing pretty well for them

1337Delta764

Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:47 am

travaz wrote:
Interestingly we are getting close to the Black Friday Crush. I know it's a little away but coming fast. I see some interesting routing and number of flights. It is going to be fun to watch this year. I see the Prime airplane coming over my house everyday. PHX seems to be busy for Prime and hope we get a few more Airplanes. I can hope anyway!
Hey WJ keep up all the good info always enjoy your post.

Also, I wonder if Amazon's linehaul network will open up more ground lines to PHX to reduce dependence on UPS Ground or OnTrac for those atypical fulfillment centers that are within two-day ground range. Other than the the local fulfillment centers and the Inland Empire, we have ground lines to one of the fulfillment centers in Tracy, CA (OAK4 I believe), Sacramento, CA (SMF1), Fort Worth, TX (can't remember which one specifically), and San Marcos, TX (SAT2). Potential additions could include more fulfillment centers in Texas or Northern California, the Las Vegas area fulfillment centers (surprised Amazon doesn't run ground lines to Phoenix from here; possibly lack of an Interstate?), or the Reno (RNO4) fulfillment center.

DL757NYC

Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:32 am

Spacepope wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
Spacepope wrote:

It looks like 353 has been fixed after its ramp rash incident and ferried GYR-DFW as ATN9300 on Aug 31.

Yep! Three weeks out of service and the good folks at GYR got her repaired properly. She has been flying Amazon stuff since Friday night/Saturday morning. Flew to Dallas and then in service 8 hours later.

Apparently that ramp rash was severe enough that a little Joe Patroni Speed Tape wasn't enough to get her back in the air. Three weeks at GYR is probably cause for a certain K-loader driver to get a little spanking.

A few years back Fedex had a loader doink a lower cargo door on an A310 bad enough that the airframe was just ferried unpressurized to VCV and permanently parked. 3 weeks a bit of time for just skin and stringer work so might not have been quite as minor as we first thought. Good to see it back in the air.

A buddy of mine works for a US3 carrier. He dinged up a brand new 777LR it literally was brand new not even a week in service. Luckily it was nothing that require repairs.

yochai

Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:21 am

wjcandee wrote:
Whiplash6 wrote:
yochai wrote:

I'm sure that the Garuda/AirTours/MyTravel pedigree of the thing had nothing to do with why it was in maintenance/conversion for 9.5 months...

Most of the Atlas birds have 4 doors instead of the 2 overwing exits like the ex AA birds for example, which require some extra skin work which I assume takes a bit longer.

wjcandee

Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:25 am

yochai wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
Whiplash6 wrote:

Most of the Atlas birds have 4 doors instead of the 2 overwing exits like the ex AA birds for example, which require some extra skin work which I assume takes a bit longer.

That's very interesting, Yochai! I am sure that you are correct. But an extra 3.5 months? Maybe the extra work plus it being very busy at TLV combined to cause the extra time as well...

HPRamper

Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:13 am

frmrCapCadet wrote:
I am curious about the economics of Prime and Hawaii. Does Amazon use marine shipping to maintain stock somewhere in Hawaii? What is the availability of cargo space on planes inter island? Marine shipping can be pretty expensive. I understand some but not all items are available via Prime. Walmart and Costco would seem to face similar problems in shipping problems.

There probably are some academic papers on this sort of thing. Oddly, here in the Northwest there is a similar problem. Vancouver Island has a decently large population, but no possibility of a bridge to the mainland. One person told me that trucking and barges pretty much split the transportation market.

Anywhere Amazon isn't flying themselves, they are utilizing FX and 5X. FedEx alone has multiple widebodies connecting HNL to the mainland every day - MD11s and 777s. Those planes are full of USPS and Amazon volume.

wjcandee

Fri Sep 14, 2018 9:15 am

HPRamper wrote:
frmrCapCadet wrote:

Anywhere Amazon isn't flying themselves, they are utilizing FX and 5X. FedEx alone has multiple widebodies connecting HNL to the mainland every day - MD11s and 777s. Those planes are full of USPS and Amazon volume.

For Hawaii, I believe that they use other air carriers beyond Amazon Air, FX and 5X.

1337Delta764

Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:46 pm

wjcandee wrote:
HPRamper wrote:
frmrCapCadet wrote:

For Hawaii, I believe that they use other air carriers beyond Amazon Air, FX and 5X.

I know in the past they have also used straight USPS (either First Class Mail or Priority Mail) or International Bridge (I wonder which carriers they use). Not sure if Amazon still uses them with their Amazon Air flights.

fify

Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:19 pm

wjcandee wrote:

Hi, wjcandee! In fact, we didn't worked 9,5 months on this airplane, as I remember it just waited on the ramp for it's turn.

fify

Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:24 pm

yochai wrote:

For 4 doors birds for a team with 6-7 workers it takes almost 2 and half months to complete the installation of the new kit for cargo door.

wjcandee

Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:17 pm

FIFY: So interesting! Thank you for the knowledgeable, detailed information!

wjcandee

Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:16 pm

wjcandee wrote:
FIFY: So interesting! Thank you for the knowledgeable, detailed information!

PS: How is 369AA coming along?

fify

Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:28 am

wjcandee wrote:

Sorry, this airplane is not in my working area.

jetmatt777

Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:58 am

wjcandee wrote:
HPRamper wrote:
frmrCapCadet wrote:

We load quite a bit of Amazon on DEN-HNL at UA, but it is stuff that is being shipped by USPS. So it’s not Amazon directly.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

wjcandee

Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:34 am

jetmatt777 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
HPRamper wrote:

We load quite a bit of Amazon on DEN-HNL at UA, but it is stuff that is being shipped by USPS. So it’s not Amazon directly.

It makes a lot of sense that a bunch of to-the-islands Amazon is riding in scheduled aircraft bellies. And on Aloha Cargo, etc.

Just curious: what are the indicators that it's being line-hauled by USPS, as opposed to just being delivered last-mile by USPS after it arrives in the Islands? I'm guessing you have a positive indication (like it's riding in an orange USPS bag), but I'm ever-interested in details. For example, my Amazon boxes that arrive by USPS in NYC have labels that look like any other postal label, even though they have been line-hauled from their origin warehouse to the Avenel, NJ Amazon Sorting Center by an Amazon-contracted trucker, then delivered from there to my post office by an Amazon-contracted courier; the only USPS truck they ride on is my local postman's van. The key on the label is whether the service specified is PARCEL SELECT. That's the USPS last-mile service. If it says anything else (like 1ST CLASS MAIL PARCEL), then you're right, it's being line-hauled by USPS. I'm not doubting you; I'm just curious.

ha763

Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:11 am

1337Delta764 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
HPRamper wrote:

I know in the past they have also used straight USPS (either First Class Mail or Priority Mail) or International Bridge (I wonder which carriers they use). Not sure if Amazon still uses them with their Amazon Air flights.

It's been a few years since I worked for the airlines, but International Bridge only handled non-Prime free shipping shipments for Amazon in Hawaii. The vast majority of cargo came in on Pacific Air Cargo. I also know they have used HA with some of the cargo being interlined from WN. The Atlas operated DHL flight from CVG pretty much was only offloading cargo for International Bridge. They ship cargo on almost all the different passenger airlines since they also sent shipments directly to the neighbor islands from LAX.

I used to work in the same warehouse International Bridge worked out of. If I saw that my Amazon order was being handled by Parcel Pool, I would give the manager or supervisor the tracking number and they give me an ETA on when I could expect it.

USAirKid

Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:45 pm

wjcandee wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

It makes a lot of sense that a bunch of to-the-islands Amazon is riding in scheduled aircraft bellies. And on Aloha Cargo, etc.

Just curious: what are the indicators that it's being line-hauled by USPS, as opposed to just being delivered last-mile by USPS after it arrives in the Islands? I'm guessing you have a positive indication (like it's riding in an orange USPS bag), but I'm ever-interested in details. For example, my Amazon boxes that arrive by USPS in NYC have labels that look like any other postal label, even though they have been line-hauled from their origin warehouse to the Avenel, NJ Amazon Sorting Center by an Amazon-contracted trucker, then delivered from there to my post office by an Amazon-contracted courier; the only USPS truck they ride on is my local postman's van. The key on the label is whether the service specified is PARCEL SELECT. That's the USPS last-mile service. If it says anything else (like 1ST CLASS MAIL PARCEL), then you're right, it's being line-hauled by USPS. I'm not doubting you; I'm just curious.

wjcandee, a few other things you might look for on Amazon USPS labels: The last line of the label shows some of the Amazon routing and the sorting center before the USPS insertion point. AFAIK, Parcel Select isn't the USPS last-mile service, thats just a slower level of service below First class. The Amazon services are a contract modified version of existing services. You can send a package cross country on USPS with Parcel Select, it'll just be slow.

jetmatt777

Sun Sep 16, 2018 3:01 pm

wjcandee wrote:
jetmatt777 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

Number 1 indicator is that the load plan has it listed as mail and not freight. The only thing that can be loaded as mail is shipments being paid for by USPS. If it were straight from amazon or a different freight company it would be loaded as freight.
Lighten up while you still can, don't even try to understand, just find a place to make your stand and take it easy

1337Delta764

Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:40 pm

ha763 wrote:
1337Delta764 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

It's been a few years since I worked for the airlines, but International Bridge only handled non-Prime free shipping shipments for Amazon in Hawaii. The vast majority of cargo came in on Pacific Air Cargo. I also know they have used HA with some of the cargo being interlined from WN. The Atlas operated DHL flight from CVG pretty much was only offloading cargo for International Bridge. They ship cargo on almost all the different passenger airlines since they also sent shipments directly to the neighbor islands from LAX.

I used to work in the same warehouse International Bridge worked out of. If I saw that my Amazon order was being handled by Parcel Pool, I would give the manager or supervisor the tracking number and they give me an ETA on when I could expect it.

For Puerto Rico I have seen ParcelPool/International Bridge even used for Prime orders, however, I wonder if the handling time for Prime shipments is shorter than non-Prime (non-Prime members in Puerto Rico don't get free shipping at all). However, it seems lately more of my orders to Puerto Rico have been going via USPS Priority Mail.

BTVB6Flyer

Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:58 pm

Looks like MIA is back for Amazon Air

Also TPA's updated network changes:

BWI-TPA-BWI
TPA-SCK
TPA-DFW
TPA-MIA-TPA
RFD-TPA-RFD
CVG-TPA-CVG (X2)
SMF-TPA

Gone are IAH and ONT

wjcandee

Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:23 am

Thanks for the info, everyone!!! Very interesting. Glad I asked.

And, for what it's worth, here's what the USPS says about Parcel Select on its website:

"“Parcel Select” is the registered trademark name for the Postal Service’s economical ground delivery service for packages entered in bulk, including those entered at desti­nation facilities. It is designed for and generally used by large- and medium-sized parcel shippers. Parcel Select mailers pay postage that reflects the degree of work-shar­ing they do in presorting their parcels and/or drop shipping their pieces at a destination facility located closer to the delivery point. Mailers are responsible for transporting their Parcel Select pieces to a destination bulk mail center (DBMC), destination sectional center facility (DSCF), or a destination delivery unit (DDU) for business and residential delivery.

In today’s competitive parcel market, Parcel Select ser­vice provides very competitive pricing. It is often used by other private parcel companies to complete delivery of the “last mile” for their shipments — particularly for deliveries in non-metropolitan or rural areas because the Postal Service is the only carrier that offers delivery to every door 6 days a week. In fact, a significant amount of the current destination-entry Parcel Select volume tendered to the Postal Service comes from parcel shippers who have tradi­tionally been our competitors: DHL, FedEx, and United Parcel Service (UPS).

Parcel Select service allows each carrier to leverage their core capabilities, such as long-distance transportation, with the Postal Service’s extensive delivery network to achieve cost savings and improved service. Parcel integrators and consolidators offer up-front esti­mates on delivery times and value-added services, includ­ing customized rates and services, billing, manifesting, insurance, tracking, Electronic Data Interchange, Delivery Confirmation™ service, and pickup service. Working together, we have a shared interest to provide improved satisfaction to our shared customers, the originators of the packages."

https://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/ ... 2_002.html

Amazon, FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc., use Parcel Select by injecting at the DDU (local post office) or sometimes the regional center. The point is that they do the line haul themselves. It appears from this that a large shipper could invoke Parcel Select by presorting and having the Postal Service do more than just the last mile, but it is still the mailer's responsibility to get the parcels to the nearest network node at whatever level of aggregation they choose (e.g. sectional center (very aggregate) or local post office (most granular), with doing it to DDU level, if you have the volume, providing the savings that make the operation financially-advantageous to the major players that use it.

cmairplaneman

Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:30 am

Interesting. ATN 3742 DFW-ABE diverted to ILN last night and continued on 8 hours later. Also, does anyone know how N373AA is coming along? If you guys remember, that was the one I got a photo of at Wilmington departing for Tel Aviv
Glider Pilot & CVG/ILN Spotter

1337Delta764

Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:08 am

wjcandee wrote:
Thanks for the info, everyone!!! Very interesting. Glad I asked.

And, for what it's worth, here's what the USPS says about Parcel Select on its website:

"“Parcel Select” is the registered trademark name for the Postal Service’s economical ground delivery service for packages entered in bulk, including those entered at desti­nation facilities. It is designed for and generally used by large- and medium-sized parcel shippers. Parcel Select mailers pay postage that reflects the degree of work-shar­ing they do in presorting their parcels and/or drop shipping their pieces at a destination facility located closer to the delivery point. Mailers are responsible for transporting their Parcel Select pieces to a destination bulk mail center (DBMC), destination sectional center facility (DSCF), or a destination delivery unit (DDU) for business and residential delivery.

In today’s competitive parcel market, Parcel Select ser­vice provides very competitive pricing. It is often used by other private parcel companies to complete delivery of the “last mile” for their shipments — particularly for deliveries in non-metropolitan or rural areas because the Postal Service is the only carrier that offers delivery to every door 6 days a week. In fact, a significant amount of the current destination-entry Parcel Select volume tendered to the Postal Service comes from parcel shippers who have tradi­tionally been our competitors: DHL, FedEx, and United Parcel Service (UPS).

Parcel Select service allows each carrier to leverage their core capabilities, such as long-distance transportation, with the Postal Service’s extensive delivery network to achieve cost savings and improved service. Parcel integrators and consolidators offer up-front esti­mates on delivery times and value-added services, includ­ing customized rates and services, billing, manifesting, insurance, tracking, Electronic Data Interchange, Delivery Confirmation™ service, and pickup service. Working together, we have a shared interest to provide improved satisfaction to our shared customers, the originators of the packages."

https://about.usps.com/postal-bulletin/ ... 2_002.html

Amazon, FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc., use Parcel Select by injecting at the DDU (local post office) or sometimes the regional center. The point is that they do the line haul themselves. It appears from this that a large shipper could invoke Parcel Select by presorting and having the Postal Service do more than just the last mile, but it is still the mailer's responsibility to get the parcels to the nearest network node at whatever level of aggregation they choose (e.g. sectional center (very aggregate) or local post office (most granular), with doing it to DDU level, if you have the volume, providing the savings that make the operation financially-advantageous to the major players that use it.

Specifically, the version of Parcel Select used by these carriers is known as Parcel Select Destination Entrry. If the package is under 1 pound, it is called Parcel Select Lightweight. The non-presort version of Parcel Select is known as Parcel Select Ground, and is available through online postage services such as Stamps.com (the over-the-counter equivalent available for purchase at the Post Office is known as Retail Ground).

1337Delta764

Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:08 pm

Got an interesting package routing that will be delivered by AMZL. It is being shipped from the Seattle area and is going via Amazon Air on SEA-CVG-PHX. Amazon seems to be far less reliant on UPS or FedEx now even though it could have went a much shorter routing on UPS via BFI-ONT-PHX. It has been a while since I have gotten an air package via UPS or FedEx from Amazon; last year I got them around Prime Day and the holiday season, but this past Prime Day everything came via AMZL or USPS (with one lone OnTrac package from I think LGB3 in Eastvale, CA).

KCVGSpotter

Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:49 am

wjcandee wrote:
So N1619A is finally done with conversion at TLV, and flew TLV-PSM-AMA today (8/25/18) for paint. Arrived TLV 11/30/17. So that was a 9-month project.

The last 767-300 for Atlas/Amazon-Air that is currently in conversion is N1487A at TLV. It arrived there about 5 days after 1619A, so hopefully will be finished relatively-soon.

N1619A arrived in CVG with an all white livery.

1337Delta764

Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:20 pm

Looks like RFD-PHX is back as of this week. I have a package coming and it is coming on a nonstop from RFD.

BH

Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:48 pm

Any updated route maps?

cmairplaneman

Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:29 pm

Well N377AN and N383AN are still sitting at Wilmington. As I've stated before, it appears that both are in a completely white paint scheme. 377 has a different foward engine cowling. It appears that it has a forward cowling from Northern Air Cargo's 767.
Glider Pilot & CVG/ILN Spotter

wjcandee

Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:50 am

CM: That's all very interesting! It will be interesting to see where these 2 go. Also interesting to see when they decide to move 830WE into conversion.

I am also interested to see when in 2019 the next AA aircraft will be retired, because AA is plainly the supplier of choice these days for 767 conversion material at CAM. CAM tries to achieve as much commonality in feedstock as is possible. They took some older airframes from AA to convert, in contrast to Atlas's strategy of onesies/twosies/threesies, largely of newer vintage. To CAM, commonality and single-owner-with-good-paperwork trumped calendar age as regards desirability. I know that UA may have some (on the really-older-end-of-the-spectrum) 763s retiring, but the Pratt engines make them less-desirable (although certainly aren't disqualifying per se). Should be some interesting things going on in the next few months: (1) more Amazon planes coming down the pike? If so, from whom, flown by whom, and what size?; (2) future of ABX flying for DHL (and thus, to some extent, future of ABX); (3) additional placements of 767 converted freighters around the industry; (4) Atlas's ability (or not) to grow while pilot union tries to run off applicants until they get a new contract.

Spacepope

Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:13 am

wjcandee wrote:
CM: That's all very interesting! It will be interesting to see where these 2 go. Also interesting to see when they decide to move 830WE into conversion.

I am also interested to see when in 2019 the next AA aircraft will be retired, because AA is plainly the supplier of choice these days for 767 conversion material at CAM. CAM tries to achieve as much commonality in feedstock as is possible. They took some older airframes from AA to convert, in contrast to Atlas's strategy of onesies/twosies/threesies, largely of newer vintage. To CAM, commonality and single-owner-with-good-paperwork trumped calendar age as regards desirability. I know that UA may have some (on the really-older-end-of-the-spectrum) 763s retiring, but the Pratt engines make them less-desirable (although certainly aren't disqualifying per se). Should be some interesting things going on in the next few months: (1) more Amazon planes coming down the pike? If so, from whom, flown by whom, and what size?; (2) future of ABX flying for DHL (and thus, to some extent, future of ABX); (3) additional placements of 767 converted freighters around the industry; (4) Atlas's ability (or not) to grow while pilot union tries to run off applicants until they get a new contract.

Ok I know I've been wrong before, but the UA aircraft, just like the DL 763s leaving the fleet, have around 120,000 hours on them. While technically they are not at the end of their design lives, they are among the very highest time 767s in existence. There will be more suitable airframes coming on the market soon enough, I think we will see the UA birds fill the important role of parts donors for the freighter fleet.

Now when the youngest AA examples hit the market, well that's another story altogether.
The last of the famous international playboys

wjcandee

Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:44 am

Space: I think you are right here. Some nitwit analyst asked about the UA fleet at the ATSG conference call, and all Hete mentioned was that they had PW engines, not that they were ragged-out, high-time birds. I think he was trying to be nice. Probably a lot of eye-rolling in the room. Mine were. But I was surprised that he wasn't more definitive that they were crap, which made me at least -- because of our shared past experience -- note the possibility.

I think you are right here, and I'm guessing that they won't likely end up at CAM. But I guess for the right purchase price, you could put an extra $1mm in mechanical work in to increase reliability. Still...

Spacepope

Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:11 am

wjcandee wrote:
Space: I think you are right here. Some nitwit analyst asked about the UA fleet at the ATSG conference call, and all Hete mentioned was that they had PW engines, not that they were ragged-out, high-time birds. I think he was trying to be nice. Probably a lot of eye-rolling in the room. Mine were. But I was surprised that he wasn't more definitive that they were crap, which made me at least -- because of our shared past experience -- note the possibility.

I think you are right here, and I'm guessing that they won't likely end up at CAM. But I guess for the right purchase price, you could put an extra $1mm in mechanical work in to increase reliability. Still...

Unless Amazon takes up a further 20 options, I don't see these super old frames getting converted. It's really an interesting game of numbers here, as the Amazon utilization isn't exactly light duty (I estimate 2000+ hours annually, not as much as Airline use but still way more than narrowbody freighter budgeting of only 1000/yr). The slow trickle we see might be bet hedging for max difficulty and unexpected retirement of an ancient 762 for various reasons.

With enough money and parts any aircraft can be kept flying, and the mechanics are going to be busy now preparing for peak. But with some of the breakdowns we have seen lately, especially with the Atlas onsie twosie fleet, early December may get interesting. Probably not interesting enough to warrant further conversions though.

I'm still most interested in how the stock of used CF6 engines hold out. I still would not be surprised to see a subfleet of Pratt birds converted due to engine availability issues. CF6 users are picking the worlds fleet of parked 747s and MD11s clean and it's filling the needs for now, but keeping more 767s in service longer again changes the use equation.

wjcandee

Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:49 am

Space: One thing I found interesting. CAM actually believes that there is a significant market, particularly-abroad, for leasing of 762s. Obviously, because of the age and capabilities of these aircraft, they can lease for a good deal less than the 767-300s. However, it is apparently worth taking some of the recently-returned (and maybe ABX-surplus) 767-200s and investing the maintenance $$ in them to lease them out for another 5-7 years, even at a reduced rate. ATSG reported last quarter that all they are waiting for is hangar space at ILN to do the work on some of the parked ones to ready them for re-leasing. Apparently, ILN is going great guns these days, and we do see things like maintenance of the two Patriots aircraft being regularly-performed there. This may also explain why some work on the ABX 767-200s is being done at HAECO at GSO. Given that both PEMCO and AMES can do MRO work on 767-200s, it appears that the paid work they are currently undertaking takes precedence over certain work on the ABX-operated CAM 767-200s, which usually takes about 30 days and is sometimes sent out to HAECO. So I am assuming these are scheduled HMVs.

Spacepope

Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:52 pm

wjcandee wrote:
Space: One thing I found interesting. CAM actually believes that there is a significant market, particularly-abroad, for leasing of 762s. Obviously, because of the age and capabilities of these aircraft, they can lease for a good deal less than the 767-300s. However, it is apparently worth taking some of the recently-returned (and maybe ABX-surplus) 767-200s and investing the maintenance $$ in them to lease them out for another 5-7 years, even at a reduced rate. ATSG reported last quarter that all they are waiting for is hangar space at ILN to do the work on some of the parked ones to ready them for re-leasing. Apparently, ILN is going great guns these days, and we do see things like maintenance of the two Patriots aircraft being regularly-performed there. This may also explain why some work on the ABX 767-200s is being done at HAECO at GSO. Given that both PEMCO and AMES can do MRO work on 767-200s, it appears that the paid work they are currently undertaking takes precedence over certain work on the ABX-operated CAM 767-200s, which usually takes about 30 days and is sometimes sent out to HAECO. So I am assuming these are scheduled HMVs.

But aren't at least one of those 762s parked up for the bulkhead replacement? I'm sure AMES saves a fair bit of coin by doing that in house, but some of those ex-ANA 762s are the fleet leaders cycle-wise and with the 12-strong Amazon duty fleet coming up on their third out of 5 peak seasons, I'm wondering how they may make economic sense out of such a major repair job.

1989worstyear

Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:15 am

Spacepope wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

Ok I know I've been wrong before, but the UA aircraft, just like the DL 763s leaving the fleet, have around 120,000 hours on them. While technically they are not at the end of their design lives, they are among the very highest time 767s in existence. There will be more suitable airframes coming on the market soon enough, I think we will see the UA birds fill the important role of parts donors for the freighter fleet.

Now when the youngest AA examples hit the market, well that's another story altogether.

I'm assuming this is about the 3 early 90s 767's on their way out in a few years? I thought UA was keeping the majority of the current 763's for another 5 years or so. :confused:
Stuck at age 15 thanks to the certification date of the A320-200 and my parents' decision to postpone having a kid by 3 years. At least there's Dignitas...

CX747

Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:11 am

I too look forward to the "peak" time of the year and how these older birds will continue to stand up. Over the past few years, they have done a remarkable job. Truly a testament to the conversion houses and Boeing. The fleet is almost complete. Amazing to think of all the different carriers these 767s used to operate for, with home bases all over the world. Now they all have second careers and members of the Amazon fleet. Does anyone have a full Amazon fleet list with the number of years each 767 has been in the new fleet?
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." D. Eisenhower

wjcandee

Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:21 am

CX: I have a fleet list but I did kind of a half-assed job of recording when each entered. However, planespotters.net actually has most of the 767-300s listed under Amazon Prime Air, along with dates they finished conversion, which is kind of a proxy for when they entered, although Atlas often keeps them around a while before Amazon officially dry-leases them. Then, you have the ATI fleet of 767-200s dry-leased to Amazon: 714AX, 791AX, 739AX, 761CX, 762CX, 763CX. 255CM is an ATI maintenance spare that does do some flying for Amazon when necessary. It took so long to finish the lease-return maintenance and bulkhead replacement on 739AX that ATI ran 255CM for what seemed like a long time on Amazon before 739 finally was dry-leased and took over. Over at ABX, there apparently are six aircraft that are technically dry-leased to Amazon, but ABX often subs others in on the routes, so my list is mostly-speculative.

fify

Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:51 am

wjcandee wrote:

Conversion is ready but still some other works to finish.

wjcandee

Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:17 am

fify wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

Conversion is ready but still some other works to finish.

Thank you! Good to know!

DeltaRules

Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:29 am

A friend who works for ABX just posted on Facebook to about a "Prime return" and suggested noisy nights ahead for ILN.

Don't call it a comeback?
A310/319/320/321/333, ARJ, BN2, B717/722/73S/733/734/735/73G/738/739/744/757/753/767/763/764/777, CR1/2/7/9, DH6, 328, EM2/ERJ/E70/E75/E90, F28/100, J31, L10/12/15, DC9/D93/D94/D95/M80/M88/M90/D10, SF3, SST

wjcandee

Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:27 am

DeltaRules wrote:
A friend who works for ABX just posted on Facebook to about a "Prime return" and suggested noisy nights ahead for ILN.

Don't call it a comeback?

I would be interested to see the details.

Given how much business ABX has lost, in part because of the expense of their work rules and competition from other carriers, in part because of mgmt, and in part because of their reputation as a place that is constantly 30 seconds from going on wildcat strike, they have the fleet slack to carry more Amazon. However, unless and until the pilots and mgmt reach a deal (or at least a cease-fire), which isn't likely anytime soon, anybody who needs reliable transportation during Peak would likely think it insane to use them. It's the most toxic labor environment in the business, as illustrated by the fact that the moment the company-saving Amazon business came ABX's way, the ABX pilots started scheming publicly about how to use the opportunity as leverage to extract more $$ in negotiations. And it has become worse -- much worse -- since. The strike in the middle of Peak two years ago basically caused Amazon to limit the number of planes ABX flew for Amazon to the six CAM/ABX ones that were already-dry-leased to Amazon, and the other 34 went to Atlas and ATI. If you believe the public postings from angry ABX pilots, they don't have sufficient pilots to cover their present routes without requiring mandatory overtime, although they are losing even more flying soon, so maybe that will even out.

I can't believe Amazon would give them more business unless Amazon were totally-desperate, because if you believe what they say publicly, the ABX pilots are hot to use any new business as leverage. As we said in Texas, "Why borrow the trouble?"

And I find the idea of returning to ILN from CVG to be completely-bizarre and an unnecessary complication right at the time of year that one wants everything to be super-smooth and practiced. Maybe a small excess network at ILN to permit some level of simple cross-dock sorting for one small bank would be doable, but trying to start anything more than that, at the beginning of Peak, would be just crazy, IMHO.

I did think it interesting that ATSG's chairman extended a teeny little olive branch recently by signing ABX up for KCM, but it remains to be seen whether that leads to some productive exchange, or it's just money spent that results in no increase in goodwill.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos