wjcandee

Re: Amazon Fleet Growth - 2018

Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:58 pm

CALMSP wrote:
ONT is also run by LGSTX, who then outsources all activities to Majestic.

I didn't say that very well. My understanding is that AGS (Airborne Global Services) has the contract with Amazon, and LGSTX is tasked through that contract with arranging ground handling at all stations. DHL provides ground handling at CVG, and I don't know for certain whether that's a direct contract between DHL and Amazon or whether it still goes through LGSTX. I think it's the former. The rest of the stations, I believe, are staffed with handling companies under contract to LGSTX. That works pretty-well, as it lets LGSTX take a new course if things aren't working well. At ABE, for example, the Airport Board initially had the responsibility of providing warehouse space and ground handlers, in return for $$$. As the ABE operation got bigger, the handling operation wasn't working well, so LGSTX replaced the Board with Pinnacle, on the theory that even if Pinnacle hired some of the existing handlers, they had the management depth and operational expertise to do it better, which apparently they have done.

LGSTX's biggest task initially was running the cross-dock operation at ILN. When Amazon moved to the DHL ramp at CVG, LGSTX lost that business and had to lay off the handlers they had hired, which was too bad. Of course, with ILN maybe getting some limited renewed action in 2019, they may have some opportunities out there again.

Majestic seems like a nifty little company where people like to work.

wjcandee

Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:19 pm

MO11 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:
MO11 wrote:
CAM bought two Delta 767s (CF6) that were parked at San Bernadino many months ago. Are these just for engines/parts?

Is that 1501P and 153DL? They're relatively low-cycle (21,000-ish) but high-hours (over 110,000). They're still registered to DL, so I don't know what's up with them.

Yes. Registrations take up to 60 days. Bill of sale was December 21.

Ah. I misread it that they bought them many months ago, which was a surprise to me, rather than they had been parked there many months ago, which I did know. One thing I am not on top of is how useful as parts donors are the several parked ex-DL 767-300 non-ERs, which didn't run for that long before being parked and are thus low time for their current age. I'm guessing that gear and engines differ on those, given the higher MTOW, although thrust levels between the two do overlap (i..e the biggest engine on the -300 is almost as powerful as the biggest engine on the -ER), but I don't recall what thrust variety DL put on the non-ERs. I also imagine that the engines on aircraft parked for more than 10 years are long gone.

My point is that the utility of the non-ERs for part purposes may give us an insight into whether CAM's purchase of the -ERs suggests that they might actually plan on flying them. There is also the possibility that they may refurbish them and use them at Omni as pax birds.

Spacepope

Fri Dec 28, 2018 7:29 pm

wjcandee wrote:
MO11 wrote:
wjcandee wrote:

Is that 1501P and 153DL? They're relatively low-cycle (21,000-ish) but high-hours (over 110,000). They're still registered to DL, so I don't know what's up with them.

Yes. Registrations take up to 60 days. Bill of sale was December 21.

Ah. I misread it that they bought them many months ago, which was a surprise to me, rather than they had been parked there many months ago, which I did know. One thing I am not on top of is how useful as parts donors are the several parked ex-DL 767-300 non-ERs, which didn't run for that long before being parked and are thus low time for their current age. I'm guessing that gear and engines differ on those, given the higher MTOW, although thrust levels between the two do overlap (i..e the biggest engine on the -300 is almost as powerful as the biggest engine on the -ER), but I don't recall what thrust variety DL put on the non-ERs. I also imagine that the engines on aircraft parked for more than 10 years are long gone.

My point is that the utility of the non-ERs for part purposes may give us an insight into whether CAM's purchase of the -ERs suggests that they might actually plan on flying them. There is also the possibility that they may refurbish them and use them at Omni as pax birds.

Someone should post the "scrap or not" question in the Delta fleet refurbishment thread, the DL people there might have some insight.

From what I've learned over the past 2 decades here at A.net, many times the thrust differences on these CF-6s can me changed simply with software and paperwork. The bigger issues would be whether they are FADEC or not, though I think ATSG has both models in their fleet.

Heavy MX on pax fleets should be happening now so a bunch of these airframe spares will be getting chewed up as aircraft are readied for the coming busy season. ANA has been providing a good trickle of 763 airframes to the breakers at SBD, but with DL running their fleet longer, UA buying up examples from Hawaiian, and just about any retired frame finding a second life as a freighter, the ANA machines and retired non-ER 763s alone might not be providing enough parts to meet demand.
The last of the famous international playboys

atcsundevil
Topic Author

Tue Jan 01, 2019 12:55 am

Please continue in next year's discussion.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1411887

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos