Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

SR380
Topic Author

Question about Air Koryo new livery

Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:09 pm

Hey guys,

I recently checked the Wikipedia page of Air Koryo (I know it's not the best, but better than nothing), it seems they got all soviet aircarft painted in the new livery plus the two An-148. They still haven't repaint the two Tupolev 204. It's it strange, taking into consideration that those two are the one visiting the most PEK, therefore being some kind of flagship. What do you thing? Is it a different process to paint this kind of aircarft? Please let's not turn (again) this threat into a DPRK bashing one.

Thanks, Alain

workhorse

Re: Question about Air Koryo new livery

Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:53 pm

Waiting for the next scheduled maintenance to do the paint job at the same time?

TWA772LR

Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:16 pm

I don't think Air Koryo has to worry about painting their aircraft for the following reasons:
-The aircraft fly so little, so the paint doesn't get too ruined.
-NK may cease to exist by the time their paint cycle comes around.
-Since it is aviation-related, I can see anything dealing with aircraft maintenance/appearance being restricted under the sanctions.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

Melbourne

Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:44 am

Actually P-632 and P-633 both Tu-204s have had revisions in their liveries. Initially delivered in the standard livery they recently had the flag on the tail replaced with the new styled "wavey" flag.

P-671 the first an-148 delivered has been fully repainted into that new livery also. Initially that new livery was used only on aircraft operating on internal services ie. The Soviet fleet.

SR380
Topic Author

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:13 pm

Melbourne wrote:
Actually P-632 and P-633 both Tu-204s have had revisions in their liveries. Initially delivered in the standard livery they recently had the flag on the tail replaced with the new styled "wavey" flag.

P-671 the first an-148 delivered has been fully repainted into that new livery also. Initially that new livery was used only on aircraft operating on internal services ie. The Soviet fleet.

But P-632 and 633 still have the old cheat line right?

NichCage

Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:17 pm

New livery or not, Air Koryo must have some pretty old planes.

What aircraft can Air Koryo even order? Russian aircraft? But with sanctions on NK now I wonder what there allowed to order.

SR380
Topic Author

Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:52 am

NichCage wrote:

What aircraft can Air Koryo even order? Russian aircraft? But with sanctions on NK now I wonder what there allowed to order.

They don't need any new aircarft for the moment. But Tu-204 and An-148 are almost everything they can get new. Used they could get some Il-96 if needed but again, they don't.

AAvgeek744

Mon Feb 05, 2018 1:28 am

They fly to three cities from Pyongyang. They don't need very many planes for that.

Melbourne

Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:28 am

NichCage wrote:

Their mainline fleet are less than 10 years old.

As quoted yes the Tu-204 fleet still feature the cheatline.

And they do operate to more than 3 destinations that's for sure. Year round scheduled services to PEK, PVG, SHE and VVO along with their resumed domestic operations and then the seasonal series to China. Not long ago before the last round of sanctions they were serving KWI, BKK and KUL

SR380
Topic Author

Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:50 am

I am booked for a month tour in the DPRK in September. Flying PEK-FNJ on JS (obviously Tu-204 or An-148), but I'm also flying tree domestic flights. I hope to fly on soviet metal!

EHRD

Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:23 am

According to a photo on instagram, the P-632 has been repainted recently. I personally don't like the new livery. The old livery looks much better on Soviet metal.

The P-633 hasn't flown for the last 5 days so maybe this aircraft is being repainted as we speak.

SyracuseAvGeek

Thu Jun 07, 2018 2:02 pm

SR380 wrote:
I am booked for a month tour in the DPRK in September. Flying PEK-FNJ on JS (obviously Tu-204 or An-148), but I'm also flying tree domestic flights. I hope to fly on soviet metal!

Aircraft tour, or tour in general? And how do you get something like that?
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."

SR380
Topic Author

Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:08 am

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
SR380 wrote:

I booked a month tour which include some domestics flights. You can book through www.koryotour.com

Cheers

trijetsonly

Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:57 am

SyracuseAvGeek wrote:
SR380 wrote:

Sorry for hijacking this thread but for aviation related tours I recommend Juche Travel.
Happy Landings

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos