fbgdavidson
Topic Author

February 3rd: DHL 767 circling west of Orlando at 1100ft - why?

Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:48 am

So am visiting family near Orlando and hear an almighty racket. Look out the window and see a large commercial plane flying very low in a steep turn. FR24 determines it's a DHL 762 out of MIA and it flies several more loops at similar altitude before climbing heading south and back in to MIA.

Anyone know what this is about? There are no airfields in the area where it was circling and I suspect 1100ft is way too low for any holding pattern if it was trying for MCO.

Cheers!

"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

Gazdon121

Re: February 3rd: DHL 767 circling west of Orlando at 1100ft - why?

Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:24 am

Test flight after maintenance possible

oOfredOo

Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:19 am

Airdrops? Guess it was a delivery flight...

I’ll see myself out.

Tuskegee332

Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:23 pm

DHL US report that the plane was doing a fly over for a company event and have stressed that they took every safety precaution to do it.

crownvic

Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:29 pm

that is right over Disney...........

Virtual737

Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:33 pm

crownvic wrote:

Mickey Mouse company.

trnswrld

Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:37 pm

I know this is 100% completely non-relevant, but for some reason that picture eerily reminded me of 9-11 videos and pictures. Something about a 762 from that angle and bank and that’s immediately what came to my mind.
Anyway.....carry on. Lol

fbgdavidson
Topic Author

Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:38 pm

Tuskegee332 wrote:
DHL US report that the plane was doing a fly over for a company event and have stressed that they took every safety precaution to do it.

Super, thanks for the info!

I found this online which has to be the event in question:
http://www.dhlamericascup.com

crownvic wrote:

Not exactly. Disney is "east" and "south east" of the 492 road marker from my initial posting from FR24.

There is a TFR within 3 miles of Disney parks up to 3000' that has been in place for many years.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

CALTECH

Sun Feb 04, 2018 9:43 pm

fbgdavidson wrote:
Tuskegee332 wrote:

Super, thanks for the info!

I found this online which has to be the event in question:
http://www.dhlamericascup.com

crownvic wrote:

Not exactly. Disney is "east" and "south east" of the 492 road marker from my initial posting from FR24.

There is a TFR within 3 miles of Disney parks up to 3000' that has been in place for many years.

Where the loops intersect, is right over Disney World. Sure they had waivers for these flybys........
You are here.

boeing737max

Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:08 pm

trnswrld wrote:
I know this is 100% completely non-relevant, but for some reason that picture eerily reminded me of 9-11 videos and pictures. Something about a 762 from that angle and bank and that’s immediately what came to my mind.
Anyway.....carry on. Lol

Thought the exact same thing. What happens when you see something so terrifying.. Just scars our memory of that image.

wjcandee

Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:34 pm

boeing737max wrote:
trnswrld wrote:
Anyway.....carry on. Lol

Thought the exact same thing. What happens when you see something so terrifying.. Just scars our memory of that image.

That's undoubtedly why the local authorities undoubtedly got a million phone calls about this, and why DHL felt compelled to say something about it.

As a resident of NYC, I know that a couple of incidents occurred after 9/11 where dummkopfs didn't realize the importance of notifying the authorities and the public about upcoming flybys/flyovers, and accordingly scared the poop out of a lot of people and caused a lot of brain damage for authorities.

Now, almost 17 years later, plenty of notice is still given about these things, because NYC residents immediately flash on terrorism when they see a low-flying transport-category aircraft over Manhattan.

crownvic

Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:29 am

crownvic wrote:

There is a TFR within 3 miles of Disney parks up to 3000' that has been in place for many years.[/quote]

LIKE I SAID......DISNEY

fbgdavidson
Topic Author

Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:55 pm

CALTECH wrote:
Where the loops intersect, is right over Disney World. Sure they had waivers for these flybys........

Maybe I'm being pedantic as to what is considered, for everyone's purposes, "right over Disney" but this didn't overfly any part of the main Disney property. The redline shows where Disney's property is. The purple spot is Epcot, the brown spot is where Animal Kingdom is and the dark green is Magic Kingdom.

crownvic

Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:55 pm

I apologize if I was being terse with my second response, but what I originally meant to say was the reason the plane was circling so low over your area was because of an event taking place at Disney. It appears that event was at the Swan and Dolphin Hotels which respectfully as you know are on Disney property. If you look at the northern edges of the smallest circles just south of US 192, a circling large plane would easily be seen from those 2 hotels, though just south of official Disney property.

fbgdavidson
Topic Author

Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:06 pm

crownvic wrote:
I apologize if I was being terse with my second response, but what I originally meant to say was the reason the plane was circling so low over your area was because of an event taking place at Disney. It appears that event was at the Swan and Dolphin Hotels which respectfully as you know are on Disney property. If you look at the northern edges of the smallest circles just south of US 192, a circling large plane would easily be seen from those 2 hotels, though just south of official Disney property.

No apology needed!

Looking at the more information section on the DHL Americas Cup page it seems the Swan and Dolphin were the host hotels but the sports fields being used for the event were at Northeast Regional Park in Davenport. Makes even more sense why the lowest point of the pass was right at that location, it happened to be also less than a mile from where I was standing when I saw it. So I guess the 762 put a show on for both people at the hotel area and those participating in the sporting events.
https://tinyurl.com/ybj44b8u

ckuschel

Mon Feb 05, 2018 4:51 pm

I am a firefighter (my station is actually at Northwest Regional Park). DHL had an employee soccer and cheerleading tournament Friday and Saturday . The 767 flew from MIA and did a few fly by’s and even rocked its wings before flying back home to MIA. It was cool because the Pilot was able to talk with all of the spectators at the park via speakers that were placed around the fields. We surprisingly did not receive any 911 calls regarding the fly by.

fbgdavidson
Topic Author

Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:37 pm

ckuschel wrote:
I am a firefighter (my station is actually at Northwest Regional Park). DHL had an employee soccer and cheerleading tournament Friday and Saturday . The 767 flew from MIA and did a few fly by’s and even rocked its wings before flying back home to MIA. It was cool because the Pilot was able to talk with all of the spectators at the park via speakers that were placed around the fields. We surprisingly did not receive any 911 calls regarding the fly by.

Welcome to a.net! Thanks for the post and information....as noted in my latest response I must have been standing less than a mile from you at the time the aircraft came over!

I also saw the wing wave as it climbed out as it flew almost due south and joined the other traffic heading into MIA.

ckuschel

Mon Feb 05, 2018 7:10 pm

fbgdavidson wrote:
ckuschel wrote:

Welcome to a.net! Thanks for the post and information....as noted in my latest response I must have been standing less than a mile from you at the time the aircraft came over!

I also saw the wing wave as it climbed out as it flew almost due south and joined the other traffic heading into MIA.

Welcome to Four Corners (Polk County)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos