deltadudejg
Topic Author

Feasibility of airlines operating into 2 airports in same metro area.

Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:19 am

My question and search for everyone's opinions is. Could the mainline airlines justify flying into 2 seperate airports in the same city market. For example could Delta run flights from ATL-RSW and PGD, or ATL-TPA and PIE or MCO and SFB. If you look into certain areas of Europe, British for example has their hub out of LHR but also operates a secondary market out of LGW. Delta flies ATL-DFW and DAL. Could a similar approach be taken into more airport. Delta today operated 17 flights between ATL-MCO, 1 flight every hour, could they run half of that or even a quarter of that to SFB to get more seats into certain markets.
Aviation Enthusiast working in Airport Operations

airportugal310

Re: Feasibility of airlines operating into 2 airports in same metro area.

Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:27 am

A whole bunch of them do it today...just off the top of my head...AS will do it with SEA/PAE, HA in LAX and added LGB, DFW/DAL for a bunch of airlines I am sure...there are probably a bunch more
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

deltadudejg
Topic Author

Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:31 am

airportugal310 wrote:
A whole bunch of them do it today...just off the top of my head...AS will do it with SEA/PAE, HA in LAX and added LGB, DFW/DAL for a bunch of airlines I am sure...there are probably a bunch more

Didn't even think of the greater Seattle area. I was very surprised when AS announced all their new routes out of PAE. Which side note their new terminal will be beautiful. I'm just curious I guess as to why there hasn't been much more of this in Florida.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:33 am

Loads of examples of multi-airport cites, NYC comes to mind and Chicago (ORD and MDW); Houston (IAH and HOU). But, not many US airports are slot regulated, so adding flights to the main airport isn’t difficult.

GF

N62NA

Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:33 am

Just look at the NYC market. All the USA major airlines serve JFK/LGA/EWR - except for UA who left JFK.

UALifer

Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:46 am

deltadudejg wrote:
airportugal310 wrote:

Didn't even think of the greater Seattle area. I was very surprised when AS announced all their new routes out of PAE. Which side note their new terminal will be beautiful. I'm just curious I guess as to why there hasn't been much more of this in Florida.

You probably don't see this happening in Florida because most of the markets skew heavily toward leisure passengers, who don't always have as strong of a preference on which airport they use; they just want a cheap fare. Therefore, airlines consolidate at one airport to keep their costs lower (and their fares lower).

Markets like NYC, the Bay Area, Chicago, etc have much more business traffic, and so it becomes important to serve multiple airports so that business customers can utilize their airport of choice.

zeke

Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:48 am

CX flies to LHR/LGW, and JFK/EWR
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

MIflyer12

Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:24 am

UALifer wrote:
deltadudejg wrote:
airportugal310 wrote:

You probably don't see this happening in Florida because most of the markets skew heavily toward leisure passengers, who don't always have as strong of a preference on which airport they use; they just want a cheap fare. Therefore, airlines consolidate at one airport to keep their costs lower (and their fares lower).

Markets like NYC, the Bay Area, Chicago, etc have much more business traffic, and so it becomes important to serve multiple airports so that business customers can utilize their airport of choice.

Tomorrow's schedule shows Delta with:

10x ATL-PBI
11x ATL-MIA
13x ATL-FLL

737max8

Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:27 am

I mean everyone basically flies into like 10 airports in LA/SF areas combined. Of course it's feasible in cities/large collective metros with demand:

IAD/DCA/BWI
MIA/FLL/PBI
LGA/JFK/EWR
SFO/OAK/SJC
LAX/SNA/LGB/ONT/BUR

Then you have the weirder ones like

DFW/DAL
IAH/HOU
SEA/PAE
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A343 A359 A388

LOWS

Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:34 am

UA has a hub at IAD and serves DCA and BWI
AA has a hub at DCA and serves IAD and BWI.
WN has a "hub" at BWI and serves IAD and DCA.
DL serves IAD, DCA, and BWI

fraspotter

Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:41 am

WN serves every airport in the greater LA area (LAX, LGB, SNA, ONT, BUR)
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

fraspotter

Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:42 am

LOWS wrote:

Why the "" around hub when talking about BWI and WN? BWI is most definitely a hub for them.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

FlyingSicilian

Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:43 am

737max8 wrote:
I mean everyone basically flies into like 10 airports in LA/SF areas combined. Of course it's feasible in cities/large collective metros with demand:

IAD/DCA/BWI
MIA/FLL/PBI
LGA/JFK/EWR
SFO/OAK/SJC
LAX/SNA/LGB/ONT/BUR

DFW/DAL
IAH/HOU
SEA/PAE

What is weird about Houston and DFW, they are bigger than some others your listed?

OP, Continental used to fly INTRAcity flights from Houston-Ellington to Houston IAH for many years, and for a time before that HOU to IAH.
“Without seeing Sicily it is impossible to understand Italy.Sicily is the key of everything.”-Goethe "Journey to Italy"

jplatts

Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:47 am

737max8 wrote:
LGA/JFK/EWR

The NYC metro area is also served by HPN, ISP, and SWF in addition to LGA, JFK, and EWR.

AaronPGH

Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:54 am

US also used to fly intracity from LBE to PIT

737max8

Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:31 am

FlyingSicilian wrote:
737max8 wrote:

IAD/DCA/BWI
MIA/FLL/PBI
LGA/JFK/EWR
SFO/OAK/SJC
LAX/SNA/LGB/ONT/BUR

DFW/DAL
IAH/HOU
SEA/PAE

What is weird about Houston and DFW, they are bigger than some others your listed?

OP, Continental used to fly INTRAcity flights from Houston-Ellington to Houston IAH for many years, and for a time before that HOU to IAH.

Sorry, should have specified...the top areas are actually different cities really, while Dallas and Houston are the "same" city. Albeit gigantic ones.

PAE I guess is a separate city completely too, but that is way smaller than DAL or HOU
The thoughts and opinions expressed in my comments do not represent that of any airline or affiliate.
Flown on: 717 733 734 735 736 737 738 739 7M8 744 744ER 752 753 762 763 772 773ER 788 789 A319/20/21 A332 A333 A343 A359 A388

ryan78

Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:39 am

Air Canada flies:
YYZ-YUL (x18 daily, mostly A320 and 737Max8)
YTZ-YUL (x15 daily Q400)
YHM-YUL(x2 daily CRJ100)

3 airports all within 60km of eachother.

lutfi

Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:55 am

Many airlines fly to both HND and NRT, and PVG & SHA. OSA & ITM is another one (but ITM just domestic)

Also - ORY & CDG. LIN & MIL, MOW has 3 airports. JKT has CGK & HLM. Bangkok has BKK & DMG. It is more a question of why some major cities only have one airport... (e.g. SYD/ DEL/ BOM)

UALFAson

Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:11 am

fraspotter wrote:
Why the "" around hub when talking about BWI and WN? BWI is most definitely a hub for them.

Because Southwest doesn't technically have "hubs," at least in the sense of they as a company do not use that word to refer to airports at which they have large operations. It's only been relatively recently (in the history of aviation, I mean) that they started selling connecting flights. Prior to that, it was almost all point-to-point.
"We hope you've enjoyed flying with us as much as we've enjoyed taking you for a ride."

max999

Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:26 am

zeke wrote:

I believe that NYC, London, and Tokyo are the only metro areas in the world that have multiple significant international airports. Each of these cities have massive O&D to support two airports that have a large number of overseas flights.
All the things I really like to do are either immoral, illegal, or fattening.

SCQ83

Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:48 am

max999 wrote:
zeke wrote:

I believe that NYC, London, and Tokyo are the only metro areas in the world that have multiple significant international airports. Each of these cities have massive O&D to support two airports that have a large number of overseas flights.

If you consider international, there are plenty of cities (e.g. Shanghai, Seoul).

If you consider long-haul international, there are more cities with several airports with significant long-haul from multiple airports in the same metro area. For instance, San Francisco, Paris and Moscow.

BoeingGuy

Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:49 am

max999 wrote:
zeke wrote:

BA and NH fly LHR-SFO/SJC and NRT-SFO/SJC, respectively.

HAL

Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:26 am

HA: 2x HND, 1x NRT.

HAL
One smooth landing is skill. Two in a row is luck. Three in a row and someone is lying.

Andy33

Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:42 am

deltadudejg wrote:
If you look into certain areas of Europe, British for example has their hub out of LHR but also operates a secondary market out of LGW.
Don't forget they also have an operation at LCY, and at weekends ( when LCY is affected by a Saturday afternoon to Sunday afternoon curfew), some of these planes use STN instead.
European LCCs frequently use more than one airport serving a metro area, and this is without some of Ryanair's more extravagant claims as to which city an airport serves, just taking IATA recognised metro airports that can be searched for in GDSs using a city code.
So EasyJet uses London LGW, STN, LTN and SEN; Berlin TXL and SXF; Paris CDG and ORY and so on
Ryanair serves London LGW, STN and LTN, Rome CIA and FCO
There are many more examples

LOWS

Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:49 am

fraspotter wrote:
LOWS wrote:

Because it's been argued 1000 times that WN doesn't have hubs and I'm trying to avoid that argument's 1001th iteration.

deltadudejg
Topic Author

Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:54 am

UALifer wrote:
deltadudejg wrote:
airportugal310 wrote:

I can understand trying to consolidate to keep some costs down. But when markets like SFB/PIE/PGD which all have cheaper passenger fees, wouldn't there be an opportunity to spread more flights into an area for cheaper?

AZa346

Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:58 am

Alitalia in Milan both at LIN and MXP.. it is quite a mess as you can't connect on the long hauls...
FR at MXP and BGY
EasyJet both at LIN and MXP
Meriadiana in the summer at MXP LIN and BGY

SRQKEF

Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:00 am

max999 wrote:
zeke wrote:

Well, Paris has both CDG and Orly.
Nothing compares to taking off in an empty 757 with full thrust!

xwb777

Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:12 am

Emirates is flying to LHR and LGW and will soon fly to STN

deltadudejg
Topic Author

Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:21 am

xwb777 wrote:
Emirates is flying to LHR and LGW and will soon fly to STN

Emirates' schedule to all the airports they serve in Europe and how many of them they serve with A380s in truly impressive. I wish they flew to more cities in the US.

Flightguy123

Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:48 am

fraspotter wrote:
LOWS wrote:

Southwest doesnt operate in a hub format. When I used to work with them, it would be referred to as a "mega-station" and not a hub. They made sure to really let us know on that.

opticalilyushin

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:27 am

deltadudejg wrote:
If you look into certain areas of Europe, British for example has their hub out of LHR but also operates a secondary market out of LGW

Arguably BA does this more out of neccessity than by choice, given LHR and LGW are both very congested. They made the best out of a bad situation by using LGW mostly for their leisure routes- the Mediterranean, Caribbean etc.

I did always wonder about airlines like Icelandair, who fly to CDG and ORY, LHR and LGW and JFK and EWR, given they would be more of an O&D airline than the likes of BA etc. Then again the Icelandic tourist industry is still booming!

mjoelnir

Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:00 am

Always when a metro area has more than one airport, we will see airlines using both or more airports.

In what way should that ever not be feasible?

Flaps

Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:39 pm

NK flies to both PIT and LBE. From the same cities in fact.

cledaybuck

Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:59 pm

Of course it is feasible. That said, it is a lot tougher to operate out of another airport in the same metro area in which you have a hub (at least in the US). See UA at JFK, UA and AA at MDW, UA at OAK, AA at DAL, UA at HOU, etc.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.

jplatts

Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:09 pm

737max8 wrote:

IAD/DCA/BWI
MIA/FLL/PBI
LGA/JFK/EWR
SFO/OAK/SJC
LAX/SNA/LGB/ONT/BUR

DFW/DAL
IAH/HOU
SEA/PAE

Other US metro areas served by more than 1 commercial airport:
Buffalo, NY - BUF, IAG
Boston, MA - BOS, MHT, PVD, ORH
Charlotte, NC - CLT, USA/JQF
Cleveland, OH - CLE, CAK
Columbus, OH - CMH, LCK
Fort Myers, FL - RSW, PGD (located in a separate metro area, but only 24 miles from Downtown Ft. Myers)
Orlando, FL - MCO, SFB
Pittsburgh, PA - PIT, LBE
Phoenix, AZ - PHX, AZA/IWA
St. Louis, MO - STL, BLV
Tampa, FL - TPA, PIE
Toledo, OH - TOL, DTW (located in a separate metro area, but only 43 miles from Downtown Toledo)

pdp

Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:59 pm

LTN and STN are served by EZY and RYR, despite being about an hour apart point to point.

STT757

Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:01 pm

CO used to operate into Houston Hobby and offer connections even though they had their main hub at IAH. In the Summer of 1989 I connected through Hobby from LAX to EWR. LAX-HOU was a 733, HOU-EWR was a 727-200.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

ThalesCoelho

Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:09 pm

São Paulo Expanded Metro Area has 3 very active airports:

Congonhas (CGH)
Guarulhos Intl (GRU)
Viracopos - Campinas (VCP)

The Brazilian big3 operates in all of them.

Rio de Janeiro has

Santos Dumont (SDU)
Galeão - Antônio Carlos Jobim Intl (GIG)

Belo Horizonte have Confins Intl (CNF) and there`s a judicial battle to reopen Pampulha (PLU) to domestic flights with "mainline" jets.

In Argentina, Buenos Aires has Ezeiza Intl (EZE) and Aeroparque (AEP)

Aliqiout

Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:04 pm

UALFAson wrote:
fraspotter wrote:

Because Southwest doesn't technically have "hubs," at least in the sense of they as a company do not use that word to refer to airports at which they have large operations. It's only been relatively recently (in the history of aviation, I mean) that they started selling connecting flights. Prior to that, it was almost all point-to-point.

WN has been selling connecting flights since before it expanded out of Texas.

I don't think it matters what the company calls there large stations. What matters is how they operate.

gunnerman

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:33 pm

U2:
LGW-LIN
LGW-MXP

BA:
LHR-LIN
LCY-LIN (BA CityFlyer)
STN-LIN (BA CityFlyer)
LGW-MXP

MaksFly

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:53 pm

Besides the ones named above such as NYC, I always look between both DFW/DAL and HOuston hobby and IAH when I fly to those areas. Delta serves both in both cities.

dfwjim1

Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:59 pm

What is weird is that Atlanta, Georgia only has one airport with commercial service.

airgeekteen

Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:07 pm

dfwjim1 wrote:
What is weird is that Atlanta, Georgia only has one airport with commercial service.
wrong https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeKalb%E2 ... ee_Airport

LXwing

Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:16 pm

TAP Air Portugal, by no means a huge airline, serves 3 London airports from its hub in LIS: LHR, LGW and LCY. The thing is that each one caters to a slighly different type of pax, thus they are are all viable.

zakuivcustom

Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:31 pm

max999 wrote:
zeke wrote:

Moscow also does (DME and SVO, while VKO is more for "regional" traffic, even though it's still international). Beijing will also once Daxing open.

STT757 wrote:
CO used to operate into Houston Hobby and offer connections even though they had their main hub at IAH. In the Summer of 1989 I connected through Hobby from LAX to EWR. LAX-HOU was a 733, HOU-EWR was a 727-200.

There's also EFD for CO, although the only destination they served there was that inter-city shuttle up to IAH. :D

As for OP's question - There are many cases that would have somewhat fall into "operating into 2 airports in the same metro area" in which one airport is a (mostly) domestic airport and one is a (mostly) international airport. Shanghai with PVG/SHA, Seoul with GMP/ICN, Tokyo with HND/NRT, Osaka/Keihanshin Area with ITM&UKB/KIX, Taipei with TSA/TPE, etc. and this is all just in Asia-Pacific region :rotfl:
Free Hong Kong! Free China!

directorguy

Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:50 pm

DXB, DWC and SHJ serve the same metro area, Dubai-Sharjah-Ajman. DXB and SHJ airports are quite close to each other whereas DWC is on the other side of Dubai, closer to Abu Dhabi.
Traditionally, DXB was the main airport, whereas SHJ was the overflow, attracting airlines flying to secondary cities in India/former USSR etc until Air Arabia launched in 2003.
Currently, MS flies to both DXB and SHJ from CAI. Air India flies to almost 10 cities from SHJ, but not sure whether are all duplicated at DXB. QR launched SHJ a few years ago and was the only airline flying to DWC, DXB and SHJ (not to mention RKT and AUH). All were suspended last summer due to the embargo.
I believe SV for years maintained nominal service to SHJ, something like a weekly JED-SHJ though the majority of their ops were up the road in DXB.

OzarkD9S

Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:02 pm

An interesting topic and I'm going purely domestic USA here:

MDW: UA and AA both served MDW/ORD in the post-deregulation era, both have "retreated" to ORD leaving DL as the lone legacy serving both airports. Would AA or UA go back to MDW, gates permitting of course, and add flights to the other hubs?

PIE: Midway Airlines (the first one) served both TPA and PIE for a brief period. I don't see any carrier serving both at this point.

AZA: The bastion of G4. F9 (?) served both briefly but again, see PIE.

SFB: G4 served both for a while, but consolidated at SFB. I don't see any of the US3 or WN serving both.

PHF/ORF: DL and AA serve both and they are about 30 miles apart as the crow flies. WN dumped PHF after the AirTran purchase and UA would only serve EWR and "maybe" IAD/ORD if they chose to return. Probably a long shot with UA.

PSP/ONT: WN sells ONT as near PSP, but if WN got into seasonal stations, I could possibly see WN there...maybe.

GYY: No one flies there though it is reasonably close to The Loop in Chicago. Not to mention Northern Indiana and Southwest Michigan plus a good chunk of the Southern Chicago 'burbs. I could see DL Connection to ATL/MSP/DTW possibly, but again they are at MDW. Someone will eventually take a stab at it. G4?
"True, I talk of dreams,
Which are the children of an idle brain." -Mercutio

KGRB

Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:23 pm

I'm surprised no one has brought up GRB and ATW. Green Bay and Appleton are essentially the same metro area and the two airports are a mere 25 miles apart. Both airports have service by AA/DL/UA. Prior to the 2003 cuts to the EAS program, UA Express served OSH (in addition to the other two) which is also in the greater Fox Valley Area.
First flight: NW DC-10 MKE-MSP December 1996
Most recent flight: DL/OO CRJ-900 ATL-GRB April 2019

george77300

Tue Feb 06, 2018 11:45 pm

Many airlines fly to both HND and NRT in Tokyo including ANA and Japan Airlines based at both.

London also a great example with airlines serving LHR and LGW. CX, FI and EK for example. Also EK will serve STN too soon. That’s 3 different airports in the same metro area. I bet no airlines serve more than that especially internationally and at a non hub city.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos