ctrabs0114

Re: Southwest Schedule Extension 02/15/18

Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:06 pm

EWRandMDW wrote:
MDW has 3 gates in Concourse C that are rarely used. Couldn't WN use them for expanded service or will those gates go away when the pedestrian bridge over Cicero Ave is widened?

I would love to see WN add more int'l flights to MDW, maybe to NAS and AUA. That would bring int'l service closer to what TZ used to have 15 years ago!

On a side note, I recently realized that WN service to EWR has been stuck at about 18 daily departures for quite a long time. Why is that? Even with only 3 gates they could surely add 1 or 2 additional departures per gate per day and there is demand for WN at that airport, maybe not from the NJ side, but from passengers flying into NJ from somewhere else and for whom LGA and ISP and PHL are poor options.

I went through MDW a couple weeks ago and all I saw at Concourse C was a DL 752 parked (NBA charter; I forget which team). As for EWR, the gate restrictions and DL/B6 dominating the NYC metro area doesn't help WN much.
2019: DAL, MCI, PHX, LAS, DFW, SAT, ORD, SLC, SEA, DTW, PHL, MIA, LAX; B73G (WN x3), B738 (WN, AA, DL), A20N (NK), MD83 (AA), B788 (AA x2), CS1 (DL), B739 (DL), B712 (DL), B752 (AA), B763 (AA), B77W (AA), B789 (AA)
Next: TBA

georgiabill

Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:08 pm

I am hoping to see WN restore MHT-DEN,MHT-FLL add MHT-RSW seasonal weekends. WN if MDW is getting maxed out restore MHT-BNA or a daily MHT-STL to replace adding another MHT-MDW flight. Being extremely wishful I would like WN add MHT-HOU.

dbo861

Sun Feb 11, 2018 5:53 pm

What’s their gate situation at DEN? Are they tapped out there or do they have room for growth?

As with every schedule extension, I hope this is the time they add DSM-DEN. They also just started the seasonal DSM-PHX flight, I’d like to see them make that daily and hopefully year round, but honestly I’d be happy just to see them bring it back next year.

southwest1675

Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:10 pm

ericm2031 wrote:
Doesn't WN have more gates at BNA coming online sometime soon?

Yup, this Spring. 2 more gates from AA.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

jplatts

Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:20 pm

dbo861 wrote:
What’s their gate situation at DEN? Are they tapped out there or do they have room for growth?

As with every schedule extension, I hope this is the time they add DSM-DEN. They also just started the seasonal DSM-PHX flight, I’d like to see them extend that to go daily and hopefully year round, but I’d just be happy to see them bring it back next year.

WN currently uses 25 gates at DEN, but WN currently only does 208 flights a day out of DEN. WN does have room out of its existing gates at DEN to add at least 40 additional daily flights out of DEN.

Airventure737

Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:23 pm

[quote]MEM-DEN

Ever since WN dropped to one MEM- DAL flight, the connections to LA completely suck.
Either that or MEM-LAS to open up some better connectivity with the coast./quote]

WN is still offering two daily nonstop between MEM and DAL. This route is now their most popular route from MEM.

I would love to see them announce MEM-DEN, but I'm afraid F9 and UA already control that route well-enough.

jplatts

Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:43 pm

Airventure737 wrote:
WaywardMemphian wrote:
MEM-DEN

Ever since WN dropped to one MEM- DAL flight, the connections to LA completely suck.
Either that or MEM-LAS to open up some better connectivity with the coast./quote]

WN is still offering two daily nonstop between MEM and DAL. This route is now their most popular route from MEM.

I would love to see them announce MEM-DEN, but I'm afraid F9 and UA already control that route well-enough.

While WN currently has 2 daily nonstops in each direction between DAL and MEM, WN is going to be dropping one of its DAL-MEM nonstops on April 8th in order to add extra nonstops from DAL to SAN and SJC in order to better compete against AS (who is going to be starting new nonstop service from DAL to SAN and SJC on Friday, February 16th).

WN could add nonstop service from MEM to DEN, PHX, and LAS in order to fill in the void left by the DL dehubbing at MEM and in order to better connect MEM to destinations in the Western U.S.

diatraveler

Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:10 pm

jplatts wrote:
dbo861 wrote:

As with every schedule extension, I hope this is the time they add DSM-DEN. They also just started the seasonal DSM-PHX flight, I’d like to see them extend that to go daily and hopefully year round, but I’d just be happy to see them bring it back next year.

WN currently uses 25 gates at DEN, but WN currently only does 208 flights a day out of DEN. WN does have room out of its existing gates at DEN to add at least 40 additional daily flights out of DEN.

The city of Denver begins construction of 16 additional gates on the C Concourse this summer. No official word on who reserved them but has to be southwest.

LU9092

Sun Feb 11, 2018 7:14 pm

For utterly selfish reasons, I would love to see RIC-DEN to give UA a little competition and knock down the fares a bit.

ericm2031

Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:17 pm

Would like to see SMF-HOU as well as BNA-SJC/SMF. DEN still has some holes that haven’t been filled (MEM, CVG, ELP, DSM)

Did WN ever cut any LAX fights to accommodate the construction? I know they limited connections but wasn’t sure if they cut any flight, as I think the construction is for the most part completed

Mexicana757

Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:02 pm

ADrum23 wrote:
Mexicana757 wrote:
timberwolf24 wrote:
I would like to see some international additions out of MDW.

Same here. The last international additions were in 2013. I would like to see a 2x weekly MDW-PVR/SJD.

How are the loads/yields on WN international routes out of MDW? I wonder if the lack of international adds is due to trouble with competing with ORD's extensive international flights.

Not sure what the loads look like. I think the lack of international additions at MDW has probably to do with WN concentrating their resources at DAL after the repeal of the Wright amendment and the new international facilities built at HOU and FLL.

During March and into early April they will operate 37 weekly international flights out of MDW but go back down to 30 weekly for the Summer.

jplatts

Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:23 pm

ericm2031 wrote:
Would like to see SMF-HOU as well as BNA-SJC/SMF.

flymco753 wrote:
Hoping for DTW-HOU like I have been for the past few years. What do you think WN will do in response to F9?

ADrum23 wrote:
Also, hopefully CVG sees one or more of DAL, HOU, DEN, MCO, etc.

WN has opportunities to further expand domestically at HOU, and WN could add nonstop service from HOU to CVG, CLE, DTW, MSP, and SMF. WN could also extend HOU-CMH nonstop service to year-round, and WN could also bring back HOU-PHL nonstop service.

I am surprised that WN hasn't already added nonstop service to PUJ from HOU, especially with HOU being one of WN's main international gateways and with WN already serving PUJ nonstop from ATL, BWI, MDW, and FLL. However, I do expect WN to be announcing HOU-PUJ nonstop service sometime this year.

Mexicana757

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:17 am

EWRandMDW wrote:
ctrabs0114 wrote:
ADrum23 wrote:

How are the loads/yields on WN international routes out of MDW? I wonder if the lack of international adds is due to trouble with competing with ORD's extensive international flights.

How much room would they have at MDW to add INTL flights?

MDW has 3 gates in Concourse C that are rarely used. Couldn't WN use them for expanded service or will those gates go away when the pedestrian bridge over Cicero Ave is widened?

I would love to see WN add more int'l flights to MDW, maybe to NAS and AUA. That would bring int'l service closer to what TZ used to have 15 years ago!

On a side note, I recently realized that WN service to EWR has been stuck at about 18 daily departures for quite a long time. Why is that? Even with only 3 gates they could surely add 1 or 2 additional departures per gate per day and there is demand for WN at that airport, maybe not from the NJ side, but from passengers flying into NJ from somewhere else and for whom LGA and ISP and PHL are poor options.

There's plenty of room for them to squeeze in international flights. MDW has 3 FIS gates. The only times all three are in constant use is between 1030am-1200p and between 330p-6p. Most of the time there's an FIS gate or two open. Whenever YTZ decides to build their preclearance facility I'm sure you will see Porter being moved over to the C concourse which will give WN more room to add international flights.

The Concourse C gates will remain as they are common use gates. What they should do is also expand those gates since the waiting area is tiny.

tomaheath

Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:32 am

How often are gates A4A and A4B used at MDW?

stlgph

Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:07 am

Mexicana757 wrote:
EWRandMDW wrote:
ctrabs0114 wrote:

How much room would they have at MDW to add INTL flights?

There's plenty of room for them to squeeze in international flights. MDW has 3 FIS gates. The only times all three are in constant use is between 1030am-1200p and between 330p-6p. Most of the time there's an FIS gate or two open. Whenever YTZ decides to build their preclearance facility I'm sure you will see Porter being moved over to the C concourse which will give WN more room to add international flights.

The Concourse C gates will remain as they are common use gates. What they should do is also expand those gates since the waiting area is tiny.

Expand Concourse C to where .... the middle of 22L??!?!?!?
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

EWRandMDW

Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:22 am

STLGPH,

I'm not suggesting Concourse C be expanded. What I'm saying is since those 3 existing gates seem to be barely used, why not have WN use them?

WaywardMemphian

Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:28 am

Airventure737 wrote:
MEM-DEN

I am of the opinion that Southwest would shew Frontier away. Memphians love cheap but Southwest would win out. I wonder how the Orlando war is playing out with WN, F9 and G4 on it. Must be enough business cause Delta added their Sat only nonstop for the Spring Break season as well.

airfrnt

Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:39 pm

I've heard consistently that WN plans to dramatically expand DEN - I think this still has to wait until the new gates are in, but it is worth watching and seeing what happens.

evank516

Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:49 pm

WNflyer1523 wrote:
Also, I wouldn’t be surprised if Southwest decides to add some Saturday Caribbean routes from LGA if they get their hands on some new slots. Maybe LGA-SJU, LGA-CUN?

IIRC, slot restrictions do not apply on Saturdays just like the perimeter rule which is why airlines tend to add Saturday only flights out of LGA.

adam47150

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:24 am

I would love to see SDF get some additional love from WN but I'm not holding my breath. Though, I have read that a local group of community leaders have been able to hammer out about $4 million in subsidies for direct flights to LAX and BOS.

jubguy3

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:28 am

ADrum23 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
If there is one airline that could actually use more gates at AUS, that would be WN. I'm sure if they had more, they'd launch more routes. As it stands, do they have gate space to add flights in retaliation to DL or F9?

They are making a big deal about being the largest carrier at SAN, so I could see them strengthening that station.

If DL opens the rumored focus city/hub at AUS, then it would make more sense for WN to expand and strengthen SAN, as they would be the dominant carrier there and would not have to compete with the lure of DL and their more expansive network.

Can you post a primary source of the rumor?

jubguy3

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:32 am

airfrnt wrote:
I've heard consistently that WN plans to dramatically expand DEN - I think this still has to wait until the new gates are in, but it is worth watching and seeing what happens.

I really think DEN is going to reach an overcapacity collapse. It does have very strong O/D numbers and is optimally placed for connections and is usually one of the busiest flights in and out of many airports in the US, but UA wants to expand, WN wants to expand, F9 has already retreated somewhat but isn't giving up on their DEN base. I don't understand where this growth is coming from and fares must be rock bottom in and out of Denver. What WN and UA have proposed in increases would push DEN towards 90 million passengers / year.

flydulles

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:23 pm

SO any body think they roll out Hawaii in this week's schedule release?
Last edited by flydulles on Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

izbtmnhd

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:27 pm

I still think there's a chance that CLE-MCI could happen. I started believing it when WN went head-to-head with UA on CLE-MKE. We'll see.

dbo861

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:49 pm

flydulles wrote:
SO any body think they roll out Hawaii in this week's schedule release?

The last few new cities they added were announced in the days leading up to the schedule release. Also, Hawaii would be a big announcement, so I’d expect this trend to continue. That being said, if there’s no press release today or tomorrow, I doubt this will be the release where Hawaii happens.

flymco753

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:05 pm

I wonder what other things could come out of MCO, from what I understand Caribbean is being cut to FLL, so anything MCO gets would have to be domestic. Perhaps converting some seasonal to daily? Could WN make 4x/wk work?
...the carriage of liquids, gels, and aerosols are prohibited through the screening checkpoint except for travel size toiletries of 3 ounces or less...

flydulles

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:10 pm

If i remember right Southwest schedule release is like every 6 weeks ?

Dominion301

Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:37 pm

jubguy3 wrote:
airfrnt wrote:

I really think DEN is going to reach an overcapacity collapse. It does have very strong O/D numbers and is optimally placed for connections and is usually one of the busiest flights in and out of many airports in the US, but UA wants to expand, WN wants to expand, F9 has already retreated somewhat but isn't giving up on their DEN base. I don't understand where this growth is coming from and fares must be rock bottom in and out of Denver. What WN and UA have proposed in increases would push DEN towards 90 million passengers / year.

DEN might eventually hit 90 million but even if DEN were to grow at a ridiculously rapid 10% per year for the next few years, you're still looking at around 2021 before that happens...unlikely given the current capacity constraints.

jplatts

Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:38 pm

adam47150 wrote:
I would love to see SDF get some additional love from WN but I'm not holding my breath. Though, I have read that a local group of community leaders have been able to hammer out about $4 million in subsidies for direct flights to LAX and BOS.

I agree that WN could further expand at SDF again since SDF used to be a bigger WN station in the past. However, WN is now at CVG, and WN now has to worry about possible leakage to SDF from the Cincinnati metro area if WN further expands at SDF.

The O&D demand to DFW/DAL from CVG is now more than double the O&D demand to DFW/DAL from SDF, and WN is probably better off adding DAL-CVG nonstop service over adding DAL-SDF nonstop service. On the other hand, there is less competition on SDF-DFW/DAL service, AA is currently the only airline to serve DFW nonstop from SDF, WN has been at SDF for almost 25 years, and there is no US3 hub or focus city at SDF.

WN could bring back SDF-STL nonstop service and add CVG-STL nonstop service to improve connectivity to WN destinations between MDW and DEN from SDF and CVG. I agree that WN could possibly add SDF-BOS nonstop service since B6 does not serve SDF and since BOS is one of the top destinations not currently served nonstop from SDF.

WN could also add SDF-FLL nonstop service to better connect SDF to international destinations, even though SDF already has nonstop service to MIA on AA and to FLL on G4.

Italianflyer

Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:35 pm

I would love to see STL-SDF restored and think there is opportunity in CVG-STL. They are easy drives but too long for day trips. DEN/MDW/PHX are fine for western connections but involve backtracking for connections to TX, LA,AR,OK.
DL & AA have doubled down in SDF by offering mainline/2 class RJs. UA is an also-ran with 145s on 2+ hour flights. I can't see WN jumping on the BOS/LAX/SFO grant since they don't have the appropriate (E170 class) equipment.

avi8

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:06 pm

Does anyone see the the possibility of WN starting 4x weekly FLL-GUA and 3x weekly HOU-GUA? I know they tend to not do that but it could be a possibility.
avi8

Medschool student

Jshank83

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:20 pm

Italianflyer wrote:
I would love to see STL-SDF restored and think there is opportunity in CVG-STL. They are easy drives but too long for day trips.

I am a curious to see if they will add more feeders to STL like they have with LIT/ICT/DSM/etc. Places like MEM/SDF/GRR/CVG/BHM/etc are wild card adds for me. I wouldn't expect to see them added but if they want to feed more connections through STL those are ones they could do it with.

swacle

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:36 pm

izbtmnhd wrote:
I still think there's a chance that CLE-MCI could happen. I started believing it when WN went head-to-head with UA on CLE-MKE. We'll see.

FWIW, I am not hearing any rumors about new/additional CLE service for this extension.
Aircraft Flown: SF3 DH8 DH4 328 ERJ CRJ CR7 CR9 E70 E75 D9S M80 712 72S 732 733 734 735 73G 738 739 739ER 752 318 319 32

ADrum23

Tue Feb 13, 2018 5:43 pm

swacle wrote:
izbtmnhd wrote:

FWIW, I am not hearing any rumors about new/additional CLE service for this extension.

Have you heard anything about BNA additions?

jplatts

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:33 pm

When Southwest extended the schedule for August/September 2017 on February 23, 2017, Southwest did not add any new nonstop routes.

jplatts

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:39 pm

Will WN ever add Saturday-only nonstop service to PBI from DAL? PBI is the only Florida destination served by WN that has never had any nonstop service to DAL, and PBI also backed Wright Amendment repeal efforts. WN does have room at DAL to add Saturday-only nonstop service to PBI from DAL since WN currently does only 140 daily departures from DAL on Saturdays (vs. 180 daily departures on weekdays and Sundays).
Last edited by jplatts on Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jshank83

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:40 pm

jplatts wrote:
When Southwest extended the schedule for August/September 2017 on February 23, 2017, Southwest did not add any new nonstop routes.

I would guess them getting ready to retire the -300s soon after played into that.

Midwestindy
Topic Author

Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:37 pm

flydulles wrote:

Someone posted this on FT:
Southwest history of schedule extensions-
Feb 18, 2016 - open thru Nov 4, 2016
May 19, 2016 - open thru Jan 4, 2017
July 7, 2016 - open thru Mar 8, 2017
Aug 4, 2016 - open thru Apr 24, 2017
Nov 1, 2016 - open thru May 8, 2017
Dec 26, 2016 - open thru Jun 5, 2017

Jan 5, 2017 - open thru Aug 14, 2017
Mar 17, 2017 - open thru Nov 3, 2017
May 18, 2017 - open thru Jan 7, 2018
Jun 22, 2017 - open thru Mar 2, 2018
July 27, 2017 - open thru Apr 6, 2018
Aug 28, 2017 - open thru Jun 1, 2018
Nov 2, 2017 - open thru Aug 6, 2018

Feb 15, 2018 - open thru Oct 1, 2018
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

jplatts

Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:20 pm

Midwestindy wrote:
flydulles wrote:

Someone posted this on FT:
Southwest history of schedule extensions

The list of Southwest history of schedule extensions left out the February 23, 2017 extension that extended the WN flight schedule from August 15, 2017 through September 29, 2017.

jplatts

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:14 am

Italianflyer wrote:
I can't see WN jumping on the BOS/LAX/SFO grant since they don't have the appropriate (E170 class) equipment.

SFO and LAX are too far from SDF for nonstop service on E175 regional jets. However, WN might be willing to possibly add SDF-OAK nonstop service if the demand is there since WN does operate CMH-OAK and MKE-SFO nonstop service, both of which are from markets that UA does not currently serve nonstop from SFO.

mikelive

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:12 am

Our schedule is only being extended to Sept 28th with this release. Fares should go active around 6am Central Time.

southwest1675

Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:50 pm

So BNA is getting 3 new gates, and hired 40 new rampers. I would think something could come out of this. They also have their Spirit rally in Nashville tomorrow if that's a coincidence or not.
Herb Kelleher 1931-2019

dbo861

Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:18 pm

mikelive wrote:
Our schedule is only being extended to Sept 28th with this release. Fares should go active around 6am Central Time.

Is it only until the 28th? The Website says it’s getting extended to Oct 1.

While it’s cool to have these schedule releases and see the new routes, it frustrates me their schedule only goes out 6-7 months. I’m going to a wedding in October that I wanted to buy tickets for, only to realize WN hasn’t released its schedule that far in advance. I could’ve waited, but found a great deal on DL so I took the plunge and bought the tickets. I prefer to fly on WN but got impatient.

usairways85

Wed Feb 14, 2018 2:51 pm

zackary747 wrote:
Here's my predictions.

If they go the competition route:
IND-PHL (long-shot)

Doubtful. WN at PHL has retrenched to Florida and major WN markets (DAL, PHX, MDW, DEN, STL, BNA)

SteveXC500

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:04 pm

usairways85 wrote:
zackary747 wrote:
Here's my predictions.

IND-PHL (long-shot)

Doubtful. WN at PHL has retrenched to Florida and major WN markets (DAL, PHX, MDW, DEN, STL, BNA)

Sounds like MSP, even though WN is not really reducing anything at MSP (other than MKE back in Nov), they are not quickly adding either. We have seen BNA in the past year, seasonal Winter Florida (typically Sat only), seasonal LAS (seems this should work year round), and this summer we will see a Sunday only DAL flight and daily OAK. I think it is hard to speculate at some of these legacy carrier hubs, like MSP and PHL.

jplatts

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:05 pm

usairways85 wrote:
zackary747 wrote:
Here's my predictions.

IND-PHL (long-shot)

I could see WN bringing back HOU-PHL nonstop service since PHL is one of the top destinations traveled to from HOU that isn't currently served nonstop from HOU, since WN now has an international gateway at HOU, and since demand for HOU-PHL flights is still there (even with UA, AA, and F9 all serving PHL nonstop from IAH).

red66mustang

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:16 pm

jplatts wrote:
Will WN ever add Saturday-only nonstop service to PBI from DAL? PBI is the only Florida destination served by WN that has never had any nonstop service to DAL, and PBI also backed Wright Amendment repeal efforts. WN does have room at DAL to add Saturday-only nonstop service to PBI from DAL since WN currently does only 140 daily departures from DAL on Saturdays (vs. 180 daily departures on weekdays and Sundays).

RSW has never been served from DAL

jplatts

Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:19 pm

red66mustang wrote:
jplatts wrote:

RSW has never been served from DAL

WN did operate seasonal Saturday-only nonstop service between DAL and RSW in early 2016, but WN did discontinue Saturday-only DAL-RSW service in Spring 2016.

bob75013

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:03 pm

dbo861 wrote:
mikelive wrote:

I’m going to a wedding in October that I wanted to buy tickets for, only to realize WN hasn’t released its schedule that far in advance. I could’ve waited, but found a great deal on DL so I took the plunge and bought the tickets. I prefer to fly on WN but got impatient.

You should have waited. WN will have the first of it's two regular "real" nationwide fare sales in June. The other one is in August.

lavalampluva

Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:16 pm

I wonder if DAL-MSP will be up'd to more than once a week.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos