Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

berari

Re: Growth and future of Ethiopian airlines

Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:13 pm

For the first time in forever Ethiopian seems to have a consistent schedule on flights to London. And this is even limited to just ET700 which departs at 0120 and arrives at 0635 6x per week. This has been in place since November and through end of Winter schedule. The daytime flights are still all over the map.

lightsaber

Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:37 pm

LAXintl wrote:
CEO says no A220. Will stick with 737 fleet as they are "better suited for the respective route"

Also no immediate plans for Airbus A350-1000 wide-body or Boeing’s 777X orders

http://cpifinancial.net/news/post/45797 ... ation-plan

Your link says it has moved...

I'm not surprised by the decision to differ orders. I hoped for the A220 and 779, but that isn't the same as expecting it.
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

berari

Wed Jan 09, 2019 4:47 am

lightsaber wrote:
LAXintl wrote:
CEO says no A220. Will stick with 737 fleet as they are "better suited for the respective route"

Also no immediate plans for Airbus A350-1000 wide-body or Boeing’s 777X orders

http://cpifinancial.net/news/post/45797 ... ation-plan

Your link says it has moved...

I'm not surprised by the decision to differ orders. I hoped for the A220 and 779, but that isn't the same as expecting it.

ET needs to slow down a little. And maybe that explains their add ons to A359s and B78s.

SeanM1997

Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:56 pm

When is the Accra base opening? London-Accra would a great market for Ethiopian

berari

Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:16 pm

SeanM1997 wrote:
When is the Accra base opening? London-Accra would a great market for Ethiopian

2019Q2

Still finalizing investment partners.

RainerBoeing777
Topic Author

Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:00 am

ET already launched services to IAH, now announces flights to Marseille (MRS)

https://twitter.com/Airlineroute/status/1114283009912582148
CX - JL - LH - KE - KL - SQ - QR - QF - TG

RainerBoeing777
Topic Author

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:01 am

Ethiopian Airlines launches its third destination in India and the City of Bangalore (BLR) !

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/285578/ethiopian-airlines-adds-bangalore-service-from-late-oct-2019/

On the other hand it has announced its service to Amman (AMM) in October of this year

https://twitter.com/Airlineroute/status/1154150335327301634

berari

Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:02 am

It has also added Bosaso and Garowe in Somalia

https://twitter.com/ETWatch/status/1147196168071344128

ArchGuy1

Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:09 am

Do you think that Ethiopian Airlines will made Addis Ababa a global hub similar to what Emirates did with Dubai, Turkish Airlines with Istanbul, and Qatar Airways with Doha. Also, do you think that Ethiopia including Addis Ababa itself will become the next hot tourist destination

dredgy

Thu Jul 25, 2019 8:52 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Do you think that Ethiopian Airlines will made Addis Ababa a global hub similar to what Emirates did with Dubai, Turkish Airlines with Istanbul, and Qatar Airways with Doha. Also, do you think that Ethiopia including Addis Ababa itself will become the next hot tourist destination

Addis and Ehtiopia in general will grow as a tourist destination, yes. Still ALOT of negative perception about Ethiopia, but it is growing and will continue to grow. Ethiopian Airlines has a role in that.

Addis is somewhat limited in its global hub expansion, The altitude of the airport contributes to operational problems on longer flights - I can't see them profitably operate a service to Australia anytime soon for instance. Their extremely good cost structuring means they can take some risks and operate at lower margins than most competitors. Plus Addis Airport is not a nice place to transit compared to Doha, Dubai or Singapore - not even in the same league. it can already be considered a global hub, but the focus is on Africa.

Personally I see most of their future expansion being in Africa, which is a continent full of unserved markets and unreliable air carriers. Being a reliable operator in a region where there aren't any has always been their biggest advantage IMO - serving places like Chad, Comoros, Somalia one stop from the rest of the world is a huge thing and their is still tonnes of growth potential there.

PM

Thu Jul 25, 2019 10:05 am

dredgy wrote:
ArchGuy1 wrote:

Addis and Ehtiopia in general will grow as a tourist destination, yes. Still ALOT of negative perception about Ethiopia, but it is growing and will continue to grow. Ethiopian Airlines has a role in that.

Addis is somewhat limited in its global hub expansion, The altitude of the airport contributes to operational problems on longer flights - I can't see them profitably operate a service to Australia anytime soon for instance. Their extremely good cost structuring means they can take some risks and operate at lower margins than most competitors. Plus Addis Airport is not a nice place to transit compared to Doha, Dubai or Singapore - not even in the same league. it can already be considered a global hub, but the focus is on Africa.

Personally I see most of their future expansion being in Africa, which is a continent full of unserved markets and unreliable air carriers. Being a reliable operator in a region where there aren't any has always been their biggest advantage IMO - serving places like Chad, Comoros, Somalia one stop from the rest of the world is a huge thing and their is still tonnes of growth potential there.

I tend to agree with this. The onboard service is very good but the airport is a mess. I cannot see it becoming a global hub - not without massive investment. But Ethiopian can become THE airline for Africa (if it isn't already). They are putting 787s (a random mixture of -8s and -9s) into my home airport (Windhoek) four times a week and WDH is not a major destination. I can see more of that.

Nimish

Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:08 pm

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
Ethiopian Airlines launches its third destination in India and the City of Bangalore (BLR) !

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/285578/ethiopian-airlines-adds-bangalore-service-from-late-oct-2019/

The schedules indicate the flight is heading further east from BLR to add another point to the network. Does anyone know what ET is planning?
Incredible India!

evanb

Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:58 pm

Nimish wrote:
The schedules indicate the flight is heading further east from BLR to add another point to the network. Does anyone know what ET is planning?

No, the aircraft and crew will remain in BLR for that time. This schedule allows the flights to connect nicely in the connection banks in ADD. Furthermore, the flight time is about 6.5 hours each way. This would exceed the duty limitations for a single crew to operate the outbound and return leg if it returned immediately. The time on the ground will also allow the same crew to operate the outbound and return.

evanb

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:01 pm

ArchGuy1 wrote:

Not a global hub, but certainly a hub for niches. For example, it's the most significant hub for transits from Asia to all of Africa, Europe to Southern and Eastern Africa (less so to West Africa), North America to Southern and Eastern Africa (less so to West Africa), and even the smaller niche of South America to Asia. It's not trying to cover the globe in the same way as EK or QR are, but certainly knows it's markets.

evanb

Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:02 pm

dredgy wrote:
Their extremely good cost structuring means they can take some risks and operate at lower margins than most competitors.

I'd clarify something. There exceptional cost structure means they can operate on lower revenues and still maintain strong margins. Ultimately, their margins are similar to other airlines, but they're able to achieve this on lower revenues.

Nimish

Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:16 pm

evanb wrote:
Nimish wrote:

No, the aircraft and crew will remain in BLR for that time. This schedule allows the flights to connect nicely in the connection banks in ADD. Furthermore, the flight time is about 6.5 hours each way. This would exceed the duty limitations for a single crew to operate the outbound and return leg if it returned immediately. The time on the ground will also allow the same crew to operate the outbound and return.

Thanks - makes sense I guess, though seems like a lot of ground time for the a/c. Hopefully some maintenance etc. can be taken up during it's down time.

Out of interest - is ET looking at mainly O&D traffic on this route, or transit via ADD? Is the expectation that this would be India origin pax or Africa origin pax?

Off topic - I wonder if this would be an option for BLR-IAH routing once they launch both flights - would be quite an exotic routing - BLR-ADD-LFW-IAH and return!
Incredible India!

evanb

Thu Jul 25, 2019 5:36 pm

Nimish wrote:
Thanks - makes sense I guess, though seems like a lot of ground time for the a/c. Hopefully some maintenance etc. can be taken up during it's down time.

Definitely no maintenance. ET don't do any scheduled line maintenance at outstations. Only what is necessary to dispatch.

Nimish wrote:
Out of interest - is ET looking at mainly O&D traffic on this route, or transit via ADD? Is the expectation that this would be India origin pax or Africa origin pax?

It'll be all connecting traffic, hence the timings for the late departure from ADD and early morning arrival into ADD. It should be a fairly even split in terms of pax originating in Africa and BLR (at least that would be the target.

Nimish wrote:
Off topic - I wonder if this would be an option for BLR-IAH routing once they launch both flights - would be quite an exotic routing - BLR-ADD-LFW-IAH and return!

Not so much. Most of ET's US flights (IAH included) leave ADD in the evening, and the inbound from BLR will arrive in the morning aiming to make African connections.

ET518 ADD2130 – 0005+1LFW0115+1 – 0840+1IAH 787 357
ET519 IAH1100 – 0500+1LFW0600+1 – 1430+1ADD 787 146

Nimish

Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:41 am

evanb wrote:
Definitely no maintenance. ET don't do any scheduled line maintenance at outstations. Only what is necessary to dispatch.

OK - thanks for that1

evanb wrote:
It'll be all connecting traffic, hence the timings for the late departure from ADD and early morning arrival into ADD. It should be a fairly even split in terms of pax originating in Africa and BLR (at least that would be the target.
- Interesting - is ADD convenient as a transfer hub? How painful are the security queues at that time?

evanb wrote:
Not so much. Most of ET's US flights (IAH included) leave ADD in the evening, and the inbound from BLR will arrive in the morning aiming to make African connections.

ET518 ADD2130 – 0005+1LFW0115+1 – 0840+1IAH 787 357
ET519 IAH1100 – 0500+1LFW0600+1 – 1430+1ADD 787 146

From an #avgeek perspective, it makes it even more interesting if there's a STPC thrown in :D. I remember doing BLR-BKK-KIX-LAX-SFO back in the days with almost 20 hours layover with a STPC at BKK on the return.
Incredible India!

berari

Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:20 pm

Nimish wrote:
RainerBoeing777 wrote:

The aircraft type that is on the schedule indicates that it is a terminator service. ET has in the past extended India-bound flights further East into China or Thailand in the past. More recently Chinese destinations, including net new ones like Chengdu have been served nonstop on the B787. If there's no opportunity to serve beyond BLR with 5th freedom rights, then ET would not be considering extending this service.

Nimish wrote:
From an #avgeek perspective, it makes it even more interesting if there's a STPC thrown in :D. I remember doing BLR-BKK-KIX-LAX-SFO back in the days with almost 20 hours layover with a STPC at BKK on the return.

ET already has this in place. If your connection at ADD is greater than 8 hours, they will accommodate you in a local hotel. They are now even providing free tours of ADD.

RainerBoeing777
Topic Author

Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:55 am

Ethiopian resumes its services to Athens (ATH) with 3 weekly frequencies as of December 14, 2019

ATH becomes the seventh destination of the strong European network of ET

https://news.gtp.gr/2019/09/26/ethiopian-airlines-resume-flights-athens-after-18-years/

lesfalls

Sat Sep 28, 2019 9:27 am

Does anyone know by chance where else ET doesn't contract out its ground services other then IAD and ADD?
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

DXTraveler

Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:05 am

"But before more network expansion, they need to focus on a major expansion/enhancement for ADD !! It's just so overcrowded and I doubt the current expansion will help by that much."

This folks is a terrific point! Current Bole is frequently a madhouse. The arrival immigration area is often packed beyond capacity at peak times, with chaos between the various lines (visa holders. visa on arrival/e-visa, Star Gold), the departure hall jam packed, Gold lounge over capacity with people having to stand or sit on the floor, and God help you if you depart from the gates in the lower level, I forget the gate numbers. Outside the terminal, in the parking area isn't much better.

I understand the expanded terminal is set to open in the coming months. No doubt it will help, but I wonder how much? In fact departure immigration is moved to the other end of the check in counter hall, which appears to be part of the new terminal. And if you have any doubt about the significance of Chinese travel and influence in Africa, the new signage in that terminal is this:

Amharic
English
Chinese!

One other thing. About a year ago as I was passing through departure security, before the gates, and one of the local screeners fell ill. Looked like she was having some sort of seizure. They stopped our line. 10 - 15 minutes went by and no medical personnel arrived. I couldn't help but wonder what if anything they have for medical services at Bole? Given the number of people who pass through there and the diversity of places they come from, they really need a fully staffed medical facility. Since then I've seen a nurses station, and maybe they do have this, and something fell apart that evening.

lesfalls

Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:08 am

DXTraveler wrote:
"But before more network expansion, they need to focus on a major expansion/enhancement for ADD !! It's just so overcrowded and I doubt the current expansion will help by that much."

This folks is a terrific point! Current Bole is frequently a madhouse. The arrival immigration area is often packed beyond capacity at peak times, with chaos between the various lines (visa holders. visa on arrival/e-visa, Star Gold), the departure hall jam packed, Gold lounge over capacity with people having to stand or sit on the floor, and God help you if you depart from the gates in the lower level, I forget the gate numbers. Outside the terminal, in the parking area isn't much better.

I understand the expanded terminal is set to open in the coming months. No doubt it will help, but I wonder how much? In fact departure immigration is moved to the other end of the check in counter hall, which appears to be part of the new terminal. And if you have any doubt about the significance of Chinese travel and influence in Africa, the new signage in that terminal is this:

Amharic
English
Chinese!

One other thing. About a year ago as I was passing through departure security, before the gates, and one of the local screeners fell ill. Looked like she was having some sort of seizure. They stopped our line. 10 - 15 minutes went by and no medical personnel arrived. I couldn't help but wonder what if anything they have for medical services at Bole? Given the number of people who pass through there and the diversity of places they come from, they really need a fully staffed medical facility. Since then I've seen a nurses station, and maybe they do have this, and something fell apart that evening.

There is a medical facility for all ET employees in the Headquarters complex. Before coming on the job I believe that they have to take 1 test. I believe that this worker you're speaking about could go to it due to her not being an offical airline employee but an airport employee.

DXTraveler

Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:33 am

"ET already has this in place. If your connection at ADD is greater than 8 hours, they will accommodate you in a local hotel. They are now even providing free tours of ADD."

I think a lot of people are being put up at ET's new Skylight Hotel, next to the airport. Would seem to make sense. It looks nice on the outside. I've heard it can get pretty crowded.

GRJGeorge

Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:10 pm

Can we have a summary of ET's new routes of 2019...and what was planned but didn't materialize...struggle to keep up.
ie. Moscow and IST was to start together, then split and now one going via another point, the other increasing.
Beira recently started, but via a different stop than originally planned.
LVI was planned, but didnt happen
IAH happens, then not, then it does
I believe there's also some new domestic routes and actually some regional routes from other cities in Ethiopia?

lesfalls

Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:16 pm

GRJGeorge wrote:
Can we have a summary of ET's new routes of 2019...and what was planned but didn't materialize...struggle to keep up.
ie. Moscow and IST was to start together, then split and now one going via another point, the other increasing.
I believe there's also some new domestic routes and actually some regional routes from other cities in Ethiopia?

Is the Moscow-IST sector 5th freedom?

OlympicATH

Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:53 am

lesfalls wrote:
GRJGeorge wrote:

Is the Moscow-IST sector 5th freedom?

I don’t think Moscow-Istanbul was ever operated. Both routes were launched as terminator flights in the end.
From December Moscow is switching from a non stop 737 to a one stop 787 via ATH. I would be very surprised if they got 5th freedom rights (ATH-DME is not available for sale currently).

RainerBoeing777
Topic Author

Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:45 am

https://twitter.com/ETWatch/status/1179627925257121792

ET seeks to increase the ADD-YYZ route to daily flights and request to fly to YUL, with the entrance to YUL maybe ET will search for more destinations in North Africa such as Algeria, Tunisia and Morocco

Delta28L

Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:03 am

RainerBoeing777 wrote:

ET seeks to increase the ADD-YYZ route to daily flights and request to fly to YUL, with the entrance to YUL maybe ET will search for more destinations in North Africa such as Algeria, Tunisia and Morocco

Always seemed weird that ET never flew to the northern half of Africa. Seems like a big hole in their network.

supreme777

Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:16 am

I think ET still has a lot of room to expand. These are routes I believe that Ethiopian could possibly open in the near future:

North America
Minneapolis- This route could be very profitable for ET as the city hosts a large African population. In the state of Minnesota alone there are 80,000 Somalis and about 15,000-40,000 Ethiopian residents. These are very large numbers and a lot of people probably could connect easily to ET's 4 destinations in Somaliland and Somalia.
Seattle- Seattle is also a hot spot for Ethiopians with around 40,000 living in the city alone. Addis could possibly serve as a transit for travelers from Seattle that want to connect with the rest of Africa and even Asia.
Denver- Denver could work out as a nice route for ET. It is a hub for Star Alliance member United Airlines(which ET has very good relations with) and hosts a large African population as well. Many could transfer through United if needed and through ET as well.
Kingston- Kingston might sound a bit unrealistic but there is a large number of Rastafarians in Jamaica and many might want to visit Ethiopia. This route could be operated through a stop in West Africa.
Montreal- ET is already looking to expand into the Canadian market by adding Montreal to the destination list. They are looking for slots and this addition is well reasoned. Air Canada(a Star Alliance member) operates greatly there and this route could help start many other code-share routes between the two airline giants.

South America
Rio- Rio could also be another successful route for ET and is really the only possible passenger route I see to South America currently. Even though they dropped the route a while back, a 3 weekly ADD-GIG-GRU and 4 weekly ADD-GRU-EZE could work hand in hand together. ET could expand its presence in South America by even expanding from GIG to SCL with 787-8 or -9.

Europe
Munich- Munich is also one of those cities that could become a large route for ET as it could open a chance to expand ET and Lufthansa code-share flights. People from the city can also use Addis Ababa to transfer to the many other African destinations ET serves. Munich is probably going to be one of there next routes, no doubt about it but the real question is the way it's routed. ET usually routes the lower demand cities through stopovers in other countries.
Berlin- Berlin is also similar to the reasoning for Munich. It is a strong area for tourism, but it doesn't have many intercontinental routes(especially to Africa). This means that there is a gap in this market and ET is positioned for successfully connecting Berlin with most of the continent. They could even make Berlin an extension of the Munich route and put the route as ADD-MUC-TXL or ADD-MUC-TXL-ADD.
Zurich- Zurich would also be an interesting addition. The city is a hub for Swiss Air which is in the same alliance as ET. Not only that but the city itself is growing in terms of tourism. This route could be operated through a stopover or separately but it would be an interesting addition.
Amsterdam- Amsterdam is one that many might question because both KLM and ET dropped the route years ago, but there have been many changes since then. Tourism and travel to both countries have grown and if the airline can get some good slot deals Amsterdam could be profitable for the airline. There are also many Ethiopians and Kenyans in the country so there would also be a demand for tickets to the two countries.

Asia
Ho Chi Minh City- This city is one that ET has been considering for a long time but just leaving it. They plan to start it but end up abandoning the idea and then coming back to it in a while. Ho Chi Minh would help ET serve the South East Asia area and it would give travelers an opportunity to get to their destinations much faster. Ho Chi Minh can be served through stops in Indonesia or Malaysia or they could extend it to Hanoi(which has lower demand for the airline than Ho Chi Minh).
Shenzhen- Shenzhen is a possible route for ET and one they have been considering for a while. I believe that on this route there isn't much leisure flight demand but rather business. Chinese businesses in Ethiopia are growing rapidly and this route might be targeting those.
Chongqing- The reasoning for Chongqing is similar to that for Shenzhen. Business. Many business travelers are looking to travel directly to Ethiopia from China due to the Chinese business boom in the country. This means there is going to be quite a lot of demand for many more Chinese cities.
Aden and Sana'a- These two cities may also sound unrealistic due to the current state of Yemen but these routes could potentially be operated as seasonal or charter routes. There are thousands of Ethiopian's currently living in Yemen and there is a huge demand for those routes. So I don't think regular scheduled flights are going to happen but seasonal or charter flights could be possible.

Africa
Casablanca- Casablanca is a big city that isn't included in ET's destinations. This is very weird and confusing because it seems that North Africa has been one of ET's weak spots. Casablanca receives tons of tourists nowadays and the countries economy is increasing greatly as well. This route could help ET move along and create other North African routes. ET could also consider using Casablanca as a stop for its Canadian routes(if they are allowed to carry passengers from Morocco to Canada).
Mauritius - Mauritius is one of those cities you would have expected ET to already be flying to but surprisingly it isn't. Mauritius doesn't really have much connection to other African countries except, Madagascar, Seychelles, Kenya and South Africa. This means many people from the city and country might want to use Addis as a transfer to other cities across Africa and even North and South America and Europe.
Algiers and Tunis- These two cities can be part of the North African service expansion and they could actually be very profitable. They could be running under ADD-TUN-ALG or maybe even separately. If there isn't much demand the route could be operated using a Boeing 737-800 and if there is demand they could use 787 or larger aircraft.

Oceania
Sydney- Oceania is the most unexpected gap in the Ethiopian market. Sydney is a very demanded route for ET and it is one that has the chance of being very profitable for the airline. It is one of the biggest cities in Oceania and the country of Australia hosts a large Ethiopian and African population. Sydney would be a very successful route for ET. I believe that ET is waiting for the 777X and A350 ULR to come out before they open this route.
Melbourne- Melbourne is similar to Sydney. It would connect Australia with Africa, Europe and even South and North America. This route could even be run through Perth in a ADD-PER-MEL routing.

AF022

Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:00 pm

Isn't the problem with some of the above lack of traffic rights? I thought ET tried to operate to MUC but couldn't get access. I might be wrong though.

supreme777

Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:56 pm

I believe so too. They have been looking at Munich for years but the interesting thing is that Munich Airport actually wants to connect to Addis. Maybe they want to be connected with Lufthansa rather than with Ethiopian. But it is weird. Melbourne and Amsterdam also want routes to Addis. Amsterdam is probably going to happen and Melbourne might come up too after ET gets either the 777X or the A350-1000.

supreme777

Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:57 pm

AF022 wrote:
Isn't the problem with some of the above lack of traffic rights? I thought ET tried to operate to MUC but couldn't get access. I might be wrong though.

They might be having challenges acquiring slots or maybe they are working with LH to find a way. Because an ADD-MUC would be very profitable.

berari

Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:48 am

RainerBoeing777 wrote:

Unless you're suggesting that ET makes a stopover on the way to YUL (tough proposition,) this new city will have no merit to expand into North Africa. Check the map and look at what the back tracking looks like.

supreme777 wrote:
I think ET still has a lot of room to expand. These are routes I believe that Ethiopian could possibly open in the near future:

North America
Minneapolis- This route could be very profitable for ET as the city hosts a large African population. In the state of Minnesota alone there are 80,000 Somalis and about 15,000-40,000 Ethiopian residents. These are very large numbers and a lot of people probably could connect easily to ET's 4 destinations in Somaliland and Somalia.
Seattle- Seattle is also a hot spot for Ethiopians with around 40,000 living in the city alone. Addis could possibly serve as a transit for travelers from Seattle that want to connect with the rest of Africa and even Asia.
Denver- Denver could work out as a nice route for ET. It is a hub for Star Alliance member United Airlines(which ET has very good relations with) and hosts a large African population as well. Many could transfer through United if needed and through ET as well.
Kingston- Kingston might sound a bit unrealistic but there is a large number of Rastafarians in Jamaica and many might want to visit Ethiopia. This route could be operated through a stop in West Africa.
Montreal- ET is already looking to expand into the Canadian market by adding Montreal to the destination list. They are looking for slots and this addition is well reasoned. Air Canada(a Star Alliance member) operates greatly there and this route could help start many other code-share routes between the two airline giants.

If ET was unable to make LAX work with similar propositions as MSP, SEA, DEN if not better, I don't think it can make any of these cities work. The UA hubs to which it flies, namely IAD, EWR, ORD and soon IAH serve as excellent gateways for passengers originating in those cities. You may argue that DEN is a UA hub, but it won't provide anything more than the other already served cities. While these cities have large Ethiopian diaspora, the Ethiopian diaspora does not frequently travel to ADD, and when they do, they purchase some of the lowest fares possible and will go as far as being inconvenienced by connecting via IST, DOH, DXB.

How many of the Rastafarians travel to make this work? They are not traders, nor high yield business travelers.

YUL is exciting, and perhaps ET's logical way to expand into the Canadian market given restrictions to expand much further at YYZ. ET does not codeshare with AC on intra-Canadian flights (last I checked) but does route/interline its tickets with AC.

supreme777 wrote:

South America
Rio- Rio could also be another successful route for ET and is really the only possible passenger route I see to South America currently. Even though they dropped the route a while back, a 3 weekly ADD-GIG-GRU and 4 weekly ADD-GRU-EZE could work hand in hand together. ET could expand its presence in South America by even expanding from GIG to SCL with 787-8 or -9.

Rio came and went for ET, as it had operated to it via GRU. It didn't prove to be profitable and it was dropped. Maybe things could improve in the future.

supreme777 wrote:

Europe
Munich- Munich is also one of those cities that could become a large route for ET as it could open a chance to expand ET and Lufthansa code-share flights. People from the city can also use Addis Ababa to transfer to the many other African destinations ET serves. Munich is probably going to be one of there next routes, no doubt about it but the real question is the way it's routed. ET usually routes the lower demand cities through stopovers in other countries.
Berlin- Berlin is also similar to the reasoning for Munich. It is a strong area for tourism, but it doesn't have many intercontinental routes(especially to Africa). This means that there is a gap in this market and ET is positioned for successfully connecting Berlin with most of the continent. They could even make Berlin an extension of the Munich route and put the route as ADD-MUC-TXL or ADD-MUC-TXL-ADD.
Zurich- Zurich would also be an interesting addition. The city is a hub for Swiss Air which is in the same alliance as ET. Not only that but the city itself is growing in terms of tourism. This route could be operated through a stopover or separately but it would be an interesting addition.
Amsterdam- Amsterdam is one that many might question because both KLM and ET dropped the route years ago, but there have been many changes since then. Tourism and travel to both countries have grown and if the airline can get some good slot deals Amsterdam could be profitable for the airline. There are also many Ethiopians and Kenyans in the country so there would also be a demand for tickets to the two countries.

Munich was explored, even scheduled a few years ago as a nonstop using a B752. It was then withdrawn. There was talk that ET was working with LH to make this a reality, but I wonder if their joint venture on the ADD-FRA route does not allow for this, for an ET rep was on record to say that they were looking for LH's agreement to opening up MUC. LH is finally making ADD work for them nonstop through its Eurowings operations.

Berlin, Zurich can each be served via one stop connection at any of the many ET European destinations that are nearby. GVA is better than ZRH, and FRA is better than BER in terms of Business $s.

Amsterdam is historically expensive to fly into, and such a fortress for KL. ET used to serve it, and KL used to serve ADD. Each has withdrawn. Maybe its a bilateral issue. Maybe they each have excellent feeds through partners (LH and KQ) that they can dedicate aircraft to fly elsewhere.

supreme777 wrote:

Asia
Ho Chi Minh City- This city is one that ET has been considering for a long time but just leaving it. They plan to start it but end up abandoning the idea and then coming back to it in a while. Ho Chi Minh would help ET serve the South East Asia area and it would give travelers an opportunity to get to their destinations much faster. Ho Chi Minh can be served through stops in Indonesia or Malaysia or they could extend it to Hanoi(which has lower demand for the airline than Ho Chi Minh).
Shenzhen- Shenzhen is a possible route for ET and one they have been considering for a while. I believe that on this route there isn't much leisure flight demand but rather business. Chinese businesses in Ethiopia are growing rapidly and this route might be targeting those.
Chongqing- The reasoning for Chongqing is similar to that for Shenzhen. Business. Many business travelers are looking to travel directly to Ethiopia from China due to the Chinese business boom in the country. This means there is going to be quite a lot of demand for many more Chinese cities.
Aden and Sana'a- These two cities may also sound unrealistic due to the current state of Yemen but these routes could potentially be operated as seasonal or charter routes. There are thousands of Ethiopian's currently living in Yemen and there is a huge demand for those routes. So I don't think regular scheduled flights are going to happen but seasonal or charter flights could be possible.

Ho Chi Minh is the only Asian city that ET has talked about but never followed through on. It's not an aircraft shortage issue, for they could use the HKG flights that don't continue on to MNL to expand to SGN.

Shenzhen is imminent.

Chongqing was brought up and Chengdu won over. But it's still talked about.

Aden and Sana'a have a long way to go before anyone explores them. There are very strict rules by which Yemenia operates today.

supreme777 wrote:

Africa
Casablanca- Casablanca is a big city that isn't included in ET's destinations. This is very weird and confusing because it seems that North Africa has been one of ET's weak spots. Casablanca receives tons of tourists nowadays and the countries economy is increasing greatly as well. This route could help ET move along and create other North African routes. ET could also consider using Casablanca as a stop for its Canadian routes(if they are allowed to carry passengers from Morocco to Canada).
Mauritius - Mauritius is one of those cities you would have expected ET to already be flying to but surprisingly it isn't. Mauritius doesn't really have much connection to other African countries except, Madagascar, Seychelles, Kenya and South Africa. This means many people from the city and country might want to use Addis as a transfer to other cities across Africa and even North and South America and Europe.
Algiers and Tunis- These two cities can be part of the North African service expansion and they could actually be very profitable. They could be running under ADD-TUN-ALG or maybe even separately. If there isn't much demand the route could be operated using a Boeing 737-800 and if there is demand they could use 787 or larger aircraft.

The only thing ET can do with the North African destinations is funnel passengers to SE Asia. Even then it can't compete well in this space where established carriers exist, and where other competitors like TK, EK, MS and QR are deep rooted. ET's advantage may be to southern African destinations but I don't know how much traffic exists there.

Mauritius needs to be less protective and allow ET's entry already.

supreme777 wrote:

Oceania
Sydney- Oceania is the most unexpected gap in the Ethiopian market. Sydney is a very demanded route for ET and it is one that has the chance of being very profitable for the airline. It is one of the biggest cities in Oceania and the country of Australia hosts a large Ethiopian and African population. Sydney would be a very successful route for ET. I believe that ET is waiting for the 777X and A350 ULR to come out before they open this route.
Melbourne- Melbourne is similar to Sydney. It would connect Australia with Africa, Europe and even South and North America. This route could even be run through Perth in a ADD-PER-MEL routing.

Long shots but not outside of ET's vision and ambitions.

supreme777

Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:15 am

berari wrote:
RainerBoeing777 wrote:

Unless you're suggesting that ET makes a stopover on the way to YUL (tough proposition,) this new city will have no merit to expand into North Africa. Check the map and look at what the back tracking looks like.

supreme777 wrote:

North America

If ET was unable to make LAX work with similar propositions as MSP, SEA, DEN if not better, I don't think it can make any of these cities work. The UA hubs to which it flies, namely IAD, EWR, ORD and soon IAH serve as excellent gateways for passengers originating in those cities. You may argue that DEN is a UA hub, but it won't provide anything more than the other already served cities. While these cities have large Ethiopian diaspora, the Ethiopian diaspora does not frequently travel to ADD, and when they do, they purchase some of the lowest fares possible and will go as far as being inconvenienced by connecting via IST, DOH, DXB.

How many of the Rastafarians travel to make this work? They are not traders, nor high yield business travelers.

YUL is exciting, and perhaps ET's logical way to expand into the Canadian market given restrictions to expand much further at YYZ. ET does not codeshare with AC on intra-Canadian flights (last I checked) but does route/interline its tickets with AC.

supreme777 wrote:

South America

Rio came and went for ET, as it had operated to it via GRU. It didn't prove to be profitable and it was dropped. Maybe things could improve in the future.

supreme777 wrote:

Europe

Munich was explored, even scheduled a few years ago as a nonstop using a B752. It was then withdrawn. There was talk that ET was working with LH to make this a reality, but I wonder if their joint venture on the ADD-FRA route does not allow for this, for an ET rep was on record to say that they were looking for LH's agreement to opening up MUC. LH is finally making ADD work for them nonstop through its Eurowings operations.

Berlin, Zurich can each be served via one stop connection at any of the many ET European destinations that are nearby. GVA is better than ZRH, and FRA is better than BER in terms of Business $s.

Amsterdam is historically expensive to fly into, and such a fortress for KL. ET used to serve it, and KL used to serve ADD. Each has withdrawn. Maybe its a bilateral issue. Maybe they each have excellent feeds through partners (LH and KQ) that they can dedicate aircraft to fly elsewhere.

supreme777 wrote:

Asia

Ho Chi Minh is the only Asian city that ET has talked about but never followed through on. It's not an aircraft shortage issue, for they could use the HKG flights that don't continue on to MNL to expand to SGN.

Shenzhen is imminent.

Chongqing was brought up and Chengdu won over. But it's still talked about.

Aden and Sana'a have a long way to go before anyone explores them. There are very strict rules by which Yemenia operates today.

supreme777 wrote:

Africa

The only thing ET can do with the North African destinations is funnel passengers to SE Asia. Even then it can't compete well in this space where established carriers exist, and where other competitors like TK, EK, MS and QR are deep rooted. ET's advantage may be to southern African destinations but I don't know how much traffic exists there.

Mauritius needs to be less protective and allow ET's entry already.

supreme777 wrote:

Oceania

Long shots but not outside of ET's vision and ambitions.

Amsterdam is expensive but there have been small plans. Amsterdam Airport Schiphol actually wants a connection to Addis Ababa and so does Munich but the airlines don't really seem to be interested. There is demand but for some reason both ET and KLM dropped the route for "financial reasons" I believe.

supreme777

Thu Dec 05, 2019 2:25 am

The weird thing is the international airlines coming into Ethiopia are everywhere. Many airlines such as KLM, Alitalia, South African, Air China and more dropped the route but in a bit end up looking to reopen it. Even other airlines. Ukraine International has gotten slots and is set to start ADD in 2020 and surprisingly Air Malta is in talk with ADD for slots and plans on flying to the city in 2020 as well. Uganda's new airline also plans on adding the city after fleet expansion and so does Air Tanzania. I've even heard talks of a possible Alitalia return and an Air Mauritius route to there! There is also another European airline called Virgin Atlantic that plans on opening the London-Addis Ababa route around 2020-2021 in their expansion plan and I wouldn't be surprised if other European airlines such as Air France start more routes to ADD. This just goes to show the massive economic growth of Ethiopia.

berari

Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:47 pm

supreme777 wrote:
The weird thing is the international airlines coming into Ethiopia are everywhere. Many airlines such as KLM, Alitalia, South African, Air China and more dropped the route but in a bit end up looking to reopen it. Even other airlines. Ukraine International has gotten slots and is set to start ADD in 2020 and surprisingly Air Malta is in talk with ADD for slots and plans on flying to the city in 2020 as well. Uganda's new airline also plans on adding the city after fleet expansion and so does Air Tanzania. I've even heard talks of a possible Alitalia return and an Air Mauritius route to there! There is also another European airline called Virgin Atlantic that plans on opening the London-Addis Ababa route around 2020-2021 in their expansion plan and I wouldn't be surprised if other European airlines such as Air France start more routes to ADD. This just goes to show the massive economic growth of Ethiopia.

Ethiopian has a bit of a fortress at ADD. When Air China, an airline with which ET extensively codeshares and partners with announced service to ADD, the ET CEO was on record saying that there'd be competition, and CA didn't last long. Partly it was because CA was solely focused on ADD, and perhaps they could have made it work if they aligned their schedules to have ET feed their service. Now ET is looking to start a second daily flight to PEK, one that CA could have filled in as a partnership similar to LH.

For all the others, ADD in itself may not be a high yield destination. The middle eastern carriers seem to be able to make it, with large Ethiopian communities around the Middle East, and their ability to connect to the Far East, likely coupled with freight out of ADD.

SA retreated, but like CA, I believe it could have made it work if partnership and coordination was doable with ET.

KQ upped its frequency in recent times, albeit deploying a small E190 on the route. The increase was in conjunction with service launch to JFK.

I doubt that Air Mauritius would attempt in the near term to serve ADD, for its host country would have to open up its airspace to Ethiopian, something it has to date been protectionist of.

Virgin Atlantic has many more destinations to go to before it considers flying to ADD. If it can't make NBO work it won't make ADD work. Before AF comes, I think KL would give it another go first.

supreme777

Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:00 am

berari wrote:
supreme777 wrote:

Ethiopian has a bit of a fortress at ADD. When Air China, an airline with which ET extensively codeshares and partners with announced service to ADD, the ET CEO was on record saying that there'd be competition, and CA didn't last long. Partly it was because CA was solely focused on ADD, and perhaps they could have made it work if they aligned their schedules to have ET feed their service. Now ET is looking to start a second daily flight to PEK, one that CA could have filled in as a partnership similar to LH.

For all the others, ADD in itself may not be a high yield destination. The middle eastern carriers seem to be able to make it, with large Ethiopian communities around the Middle East, and their ability to connect to the Far East, likely coupled with freight out of ADD.

SA retreated, but like CA, I believe it could have made it work if partnership and coordination was doable with ET.

KQ upped its frequency in recent times, albeit deploying a small E190 on the route. The increase was in conjunction with service launch to JFK.

I doubt that Air Mauritius would attempt in the near term to serve ADD, for its host country would have to open up its airspace to Ethiopian, something it has to date been protectionist of.

Virgin Atlantic has many more destinations to go to before it considers flying to ADD. If it can't make NBO work it won't make ADD work. Before AF comes, I think KL would give it another go first.

I agree with you with the Air China and SA one's. They probably could have Mande those routes work through partnerships with ET. Virgin Atlantic has confirmed that if the third runway at Heathrow is completed they will start Addis in Africa as well as Nairobi, Accra and Cape Town. This is not going to happen before the 3rd Heathrow runway. Mauritius is just being way too overprotective of their airspace. They really only let European and Middle Eastern Airlines operate there. Air France will not really start ADD unless there is some sort of partnership between ET and AF which I doubt will happen. KLM giving ADD another try is actually a strong possibility as there is demand for the route. KQ seems to be profiting from the route with the E190 and so does Lufthansa with the A340.

berari

Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:17 am

Ethiopian started flights to Houston today. Looking at bookings for the next few weeks, flight out of Houston is almost or completely sold out.

YoungDon

Mon Dec 16, 2019 2:09 pm

berari wrote:
Ethiopian started flights to Houston today. Looking at bookings for the next few weeks, flight out of Houston is almost or completely sold out.

That's a good omen. Hopefully this flight will stick around.

RainerBoeing777
Topic Author

Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:01 am

Ethiopian launches its fourth destination in India, the chosen destination the Chennai (MAA) with 3 weekly frequencies with Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner from April 3

https://dxbooking.ethiopianairlines.com/dx/ETDX/#/flight-selection?=&origin=MAA&date=04-03-2020&destination=ADD&journeyType=one-way&ADT=1&CHD=0&INF=0&locale=en-GB&searchType=BRANDED&class=First&direction=0&execution=e1s1

bravotango75

Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:48 am

berari wrote:

Yields are what counts, not full cabins. I predict that Ethiopian will cut Houston inside 2 years, they would have been better selecting BOS.

RainerBoeing777
Topic Author

Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:36 am

berari

Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:07 pm

bravotango75 wrote:
berari wrote:

Yields are what counts, not full cabins. I predict that Ethiopian will cut Houston inside 2 years, they would have been better selecting BOS.

Boston gives nothing to ET. Many other viable destinations for ET before it considers BOS.

I expect Houston to grow.

vinniewinnie

Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:26 pm

I just flew this morning via ADD and must admit it is quite an impressive operation. All these inbound flights from Europe and Asia doing quick turn arounds to serve African destinations during the day before heading once again to Europe and Asia is proof that there is space for an African player.

Now I actually came from Kinshasa in order to connect to a flight to Yaoundé. Looking at other African flights arriving in the early morning, I was actually wondering whether there is scope for more night time African flights in order to provide further intra-African connections? were B737maxes scheduled to operate more flights such as these? Rather than thinking about fancy long haul destinations, maybe there is more opportunity at the African level?

RainerBoeing777
Topic Author

Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:54 am

Ethiopian Airlines consolidates its operations in Europe much of its network go to see non-stop flights

Brussels, Vienna, Manchester, Marseilla and Milan become all non-stop without any stopover

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/289817/ethiopian-airlines-europe-service-changes-from-july-2020/

berari

Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:46 am

vinniewinnie wrote:
I just flew this morning via ADD and must admit it is quite an impressive operation. All these inbound flights from Europe and Asia doing quick turn arounds to serve African destinations during the day before heading once again to Europe and Asia is proof that there is space for an African player.

Now I actually came from Kinshasa in order to connect to a flight to Yaoundé. Looking at other African flights arriving in the early morning, I was actually wondering whether there is scope for more night time African flights in order to provide further intra-African connections? were B737maxes scheduled to operate more flights such as these? Rather than thinking about fancy long haul destinations, maybe there is more opportunity at the African level?

Your flight from FIH to YAO is the reason why some strive to have an open market. One should not have to fly such route, your trip should have taken you 1:45 hours, yet you had an overnight flight ADD, a connection, and another 4+ hour flight.

ET's primary hub operation is between Africa and far flung destinations in Europe, Asia and the Americas, in addition to the Middle East. The "fancy long haul destinations" is where the money and traffic is at. Given the limitations that exist at ADD, don't expect a lot more in terms of frequency from African cities unless ET reworks its banks and introduces new ones like the afternoon bank it has slowly built. There are some key African cities that ET already serves overnight, including NBO, DAR, EBB, KGL, ASM, FIH, HRE, LUN, JNB, KRT, CAI, where these connect both ways to the rest of Africa.

It is worth noting that it's not just about having ample traffic, traffic rights, aircraft and room to maneuver at ADD, but also the availability of 24/7 operations at these African outstations. Places like Lubumbashi, Blantyre, Hargeisa, Juba, etc don't see night time operations.

I would like to see ACC, LOS, CPT added to this mix (afternoon bank out of ADD, returning in the morning,) where these would be fed not only from African destinations in the afternoon but also from places like BOM, CAN, DEL, TLV, IST that ET has incoming around that time. Maybe a DXB flight is due to be thrown into the mix. Longer term, if ET opens up double daily services to European cities like CDG and LHR, I would love to see overnight flights to/from islands in the Indian Ocean, with TNR, HAH. A Max operation to MRS could also see less ground time and more frequencies to meet the latter, in the similar way that IST flights are operated.

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
Ethiopian Airlines consolidates its operations in Europe much of its network go to see non-stop flights

Brussels, Vienna, Manchester, Marseilla and Milan become all non-stop without any stopover

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/289817/ethiopian-airlines-europe-service-changes-from-july-2020/

Here's to hoping that this sticks, especially with that beer virus that's going on.

ET's European operations have historically been all over the place, with the usual suspects FCO, VIE and BRU to some extent being springboards. It's good to see GVA going nonstop (likely to stave off new competition from Kenya Airways,) and funny to see that DUB is now the problem child that they don't know what to do with (nonstop, then via MAD, BRU, now VIE.) I am happy to see MRS getting a terminator, maybe HAH will finally get larger aircraft terminator service? Same with TNR?

LAXdude1023

Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:49 am

bravotango75 wrote:
berari wrote:

You’re full of it. Go troll somewhere else.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

berari

Tue Feb 25, 2020 4:55 am

LAXdude1023 wrote:
bravotango75 wrote:
berari wrote:

Ethiopian is adding a fourth weekly flight to Houston starting in June. I expect to see it go daily within 2 years.

LAXdude1023

Tue Feb 25, 2020 5:11 am

berari wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
bravotango75 wrote:

Ethiopian is adding a fourth weekly flight to Houston starting in June. I expect to see it go daily within 2 years.

Very happy to hear that! Im taking it in April to JNB.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos