Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AF022

Re: Growth and future of Ethiopian airlines

Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:15 pm

vinniewinnie wrote:
I just flew this morning via ADD and must admit it is quite an impressive operation. All these inbound flights from Europe and Asia doing quick turn arounds to serve African destinations during the day before heading once again to Europe and Asia is proof that there is space for an African player.

Now I actually came from Kinshasa in order to connect to a flight to Yaoundé. Looking at other African flights arriving in the early morning, I was actually wondering whether there is scope for more night time African flights in order to provide further intra-African connections? were B737maxes scheduled to operate more flights such as these? Rather than thinking about fancy long haul destinations, maybe there is more opportunity at the African level?

Their operation at LFW accomplishes this.

bravotango75

Wed Feb 26, 2020 6:54 pm

LAXdude1023 wrote:
berari wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:

You’re full of it. Go troll somewhere else.

Ethiopian is adding a fourth weekly flight to Houston starting in June. I expect to see it go daily within 2 years.

Very happy to hear that! Im taking it in April to JNB.

Good luck with that, air travel may be a thing of the past if the virus knocks out the US. You might be taking a slow boat to South Africa.

gabep

Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:08 pm

bravotango75 wrote:
LAXdude1023 wrote:
berari wrote:

Ethiopian is adding a fourth weekly flight to Houston starting in June. I expect to see it go daily within 2 years.

Very happy to hear that! Im taking it in April to JNB.

Good luck with that, air travel may be a thing of the past if the virus knocks out the US. You might be taking a slow boat to South Africa.

Please, save the hysteria. CONVID19 is a virus—a relatively mild one—that has infected the media and, by extension, the psyche of those unwilling to educate themselves with actual data.

DobboDobbo

Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:34 pm

RainerBoeing777 wrote:
Ethiopian Airlines consolidates its operations in Europe much of its network go to see non-stop flights

Brussels, Vienna, Manchester, Marseilla and Milan become all non-stop without any stopover

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/289817/ethiopian-airlines-europe-service-changes-from-july-2020/

Very positive for ET at MAN. I thought a TATL tag would be needed for that - hope it pays off.

berari

Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:05 am

DobboDobbo wrote:
RainerBoeing777 wrote:
Ethiopian Airlines consolidates its operations in Europe much of its network go to see non-stop flights

Brussels, Vienna, Manchester, Marseilla and Milan become all non-stop without any stopover

https://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airlineroute/289817/ethiopian-airlines-europe-service-changes-from-july-2020/

Very positive for ET at MAN. I thought a TATL tag would be needed for that - hope it pays off.

If the passenger numbers are there, I would imagine it is also more efficient than having a crew change along the way and extra crew for the leg.

TATL is already served via DUB where the stop is only needed westbound. Unless ET is going into new thin territory, its current model works and meets the banks at ADD.

Who has flown the ADD-FCO-EWR-IAD run before? :old:

iadadd

Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:31 am

Not sure if anything has info on this. But given ET's European flights tend to have a 12-15 hour gap between morning arrival and evening departure, does this mean that the same crew which operated the incoming flight can return back the same night to ADD ?

dkny

Thu Feb 27, 2020 3:57 am

iadadd wrote:
Not sure if anything has info on this. But given ET's European flights tend to have a 12-15 hour gap between morning arrival and evening departure, does this mean that the same crew which operated the incoming flight can return back the same night to ADD ?

Yes that has been the case with all European destinations for a while now

LUKAS10

Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:52 am

dkny wrote:
iadadd wrote:

Including pilots?

berari

Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:58 pm

RainerBoeing777 wrote:

This latest update has me thinking that ET now has the following terminator flights that are ripe for extension into new markets:
- FCO: 4 out of 7 weekly flights go to MAD. The other 3 days can be used to open new market.
- VIE: this 6 weekly terminator service is the shortest European terminator service with aircraft on the ground. Ripe for new market.
- MXP: daily terminator service that could extend to a new market

So what are your thoughts? What new markets can you think of?

calstanford

Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:21 pm

gabep wrote:
avel may be a thing of the past if the virus knocks out the US. You might be taking a slow boat to South Africa.

Please, save the hysteria. CONVID19 is a virus—a relatively mild one—that has infected the media and, by extension, the psyche of those unwilling to educate themselves with actual data.[/quote]

Please save the ignorance. It's not mild. Do you think countries of the world are okay with wiping out billions of dollars for some snizzles? It's extremely virulent and proven deadly too.

LAXdude1023

Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:13 pm

calstanford wrote:
gabep wrote:
avel may be a thing of the past if the virus knocks out the US. You might be taking a slow boat to South Africa.

Please, save the hysteria. CONVID19 is a virus—a relatively mild one—that has infected the media and, by extension, the psyche of those unwilling to educate themselves with actual data.

Please save the ignorance. It's not mild. Do you think countries of the world are okay with wiping out billions of dollars for some snizzles? It's extremely virulent and proven deadly too.[/quote]

This is not comparable to SARS and Ebola which killed large numbers of able bodied people. This has a much lower death rate.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

jumbojettony

Fri Feb 28, 2020 1:08 am

Any progression in terms of starting YUL? Or still problems with the government in terms of slots?

drerx7

Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:05 am

bravotango75 wrote:
berari wrote:
Ethiopian started flights to Houston today. Looking at bookings for the next few weeks, flight out of Houston is almost or completely sold out.

Yields are what counts, not full cabins. I predict that Ethiopian will cut Houston inside 2 years, they would have been better selecting BOS.

Lol... this guy is never correct! They are increasing IAH service.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

bravotango75

Fri Feb 28, 2020 2:44 am

drerx7 wrote:
bravotango75 wrote:
berari wrote:
Ethiopian started flights to Houston today. Looking at bookings for the next few weeks, flight out of Houston is almost or completely sold out.

Yields are what counts, not full cabins. I predict that Ethiopian will cut Houston inside 2 years, they would have been better selecting BOS.

Perhaps, but with no end in sight with the Coronavirus, it is all moot. International flights will come to a halt, the US (and global) economy will collapse (see the stock market today), Trump will lose to Bolshevik Bernie in Nov, the Communists take over, Houston being an oil town will suffer under the Green New Deal to the point of becoming a wasteland, well, need I continue...?

drerx7

Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:20 am

Lmao!!! Case in point
HOUSTON, TEXAS

LAXdude1023

Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:31 am

bravotango75 wrote:
drerx7 wrote:
bravotango75 wrote:

Perhaps, but with no end in sight with the Coronavirus, it is all moot. International flights will come to a halt, the US (and global) economy will collapse (see the stock market today), Trump will lose to Bolshevik Bernie in Nov, the Communists take over, Houston being an oil town will suffer under the Green New Deal to the point of becoming a wasteland, well, need I continue...?

Translation:

“WHAAAA. WHAAAA. ETHIOPIAN PICKED HOUSTON OVER BOSTON! I WANT MY BLANKIE!”
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

lesfalls

Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:28 pm

LUKAS10 wrote:
dkny wrote:
iadadd wrote:

Including pilots?

I thought LHR was the only EU destination where they didn't park the aircraft on the ground for over 12-15 hours?
Lufthansa: Einfach ein bisschen besser.

Clackers

Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:38 pm

Do they still fly to SG? Is it direct or via BKK? I am sure a few years back my fifth freedom on ET was BKK-SIN, but it may have been KUL-SIN, as I did so many of those flights 2011-2016 :D

iadadd

Sat Feb 29, 2020 3:53 am

lesfalls wrote:
LUKAS10 wrote:
dkny wrote:

Including pilots?

I thought LHR was the only EU destination where they didn't park the aircraft on the ground for over 12-15 hours?

It depends, given LHR has an additional 3x weekly daytime flights those planes have a quick turnaround. Also some flights from ADD arrive late afternoon into LHR, so those planes have a shorter turnaround as well.

evanb

Sat Feb 29, 2020 9:59 am

iadadd wrote:
It depends, given LHR has an additional 3x weekly daytime flights those planes have a quick turnaround. Also some flights from ADD arrive late afternoon into LHR, so those planes have a shorter turnaround as well.

I don't think they run this anymore. They've managed to reorganize to get 6 out of 7 flights overnight on the northbound, and daily overnight on the southbound. Current schedule is as follows:

ET700 ADD LHR 00:20 06:35 S-TWTFS
ET710 ADD LHR 08:45 14:00 -M-----

ET701 LHR ADD 20:15 07:00+1 SMTWTFS

Freshside3

Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:18 am

DobboDobbo wrote:
RainerBoeing777 wrote:

SEA would be the natural choice for tag. Big Ethiopian diaspora in SEA, but also there is a void in the SEA-MAN market since Thomas Cook folded.

iadadd

Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:04 pm

evanb wrote:
iadadd wrote:

I don't think they run this anymore. They've managed to reorganize to get 6 out of 7 flights overnight on the northbound, and daily overnight on the southbound. Current schedule is as follows:

ET700 ADD LHR 00:20 06:35 S-TWTFS
ET710 ADD LHR 08:45 14:00 -M-----

ET701 LHR ADD 20:15 07:00+1 SMTWTFS

Winter usually has an additional 3x weekly daytime flight, but it was removed late Jan/February due to low season

For Summer schedule:

ADD to LHR : 5x weekly overnight, 5x weekly daytime
LHR to ADD: Daily overnight, 3x weekly daytime

It's an odd schedule due to slot availability, but that's how ET maintains 10x weekly at Heathrow

berari

Sun Mar 01, 2020 7:24 am

Clackers wrote:
Do they still fly to SG? Is it direct or via BKK? I am sure a few years back my fifth freedom on ET was BKK-SIN, but it may have been KUL-SIN, as I did so many of those flights 2011-2016 :D

Singapore is served nonstop from ADD.

supreme777

Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:42 pm

Guys what do you think about Ethiopian planning on constructing a new $5 billion airport/airport city? I personally think it's a great idea for both the airline and the country economy, but I'm a bit confused on where they are getting the money. They have to be taking a loan or credit because I don't think they just have a spare $5 billion laying around. The weird thing is that many are reporting that Airports Paris are construction the airport. I honest like this idea of not depending on China too much though so I'm all for it. I also know there are other airlines such as Air Malta, Ukraine International, Virgin Atlantic, and more planning on starting service to Addis Ababa, but would this mean they use the old airport where slots are probably less or the new one where slots are more expensive probably, but better service and connections. I think Star Alliance operators like Lufthansa, EgyptAir, Turkish and more, will move to the new airport to have connections with Ethiopian Airlines.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos