obenyehuda

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards Customer @ PDX

Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:45 pm

While i agree that videotaping is pretty aggressive, it is an essential tool to document what is happening. Otherwise who would believe the passenger?
Airline service (particularly on United) has degenerated into complete rudeness to the customer.
On board their usual excuse is security- dare to protest and you risk being arrested...
Delta (and i am a diamond medallion on Delta) usually has very good customer service. These two bad apples don't belong on the Delta team.

dc10co

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:05 pm

LH982 wrote:
dc10co wrote:

14 CFR Part 234 dictates airline baggage reporting requirements, that would be the federal law being broken.

The gentleman was no longer a customer of Delta when Delta endorsed the ticket the customer had with them to Hawaiian. At that point he became a customer of Hawaiian

I have a big problem with this. These may be the fine details of the rules and regulations, but this is not what is being sold to the customer. We are told that the big dependable airline will get us from A to B in the level of comfort we are able to pay for and we will have everything at the end that we had at the beginning. At no stage does a major airline advertise that they may change your agenda and then disown you.

The airline cannot change your agenda without your consent. I’ve had plenty of customers turn down interline options because they don’t want to fly with “that” carrier. If you have that big of a problem with it then either A don’t accept the interline reroute or B fly with an airline that doesn’t interline like Southwest or Spirit. Interline agreements exist for the benefit of the customer not the big bad airline. If it were up to the carriers I’m sure they would love to keep the money to themselves and not interline at all. But then everyone would riot because the second there was a major event the big bad airlines wouldn’t be able to get you home for days, which is exactly what happens at airlines like Southwest or Spirit when they have meltdowns. 99% of the time interline invol reroutes go off without a hitch and are beneficial to the passenger. But sometimes things like these happen, which is exactly why the DOT has laws in place that govern what happens when things go wrong in these scenarios.
Listen Betty, don't start up with your white zone shit again.

dc10co

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:17 pm

TVNWZ wrote:
dc10co wrote:
And for those who say that he should’ve just helped the customer and taken the claim, then DL is taking a DOT hit for something that they are not responsible for and the employee is opening themselves up to discipline for not following policy. These days airlines are closely tracking their MBR and will have no problems punishing agents who needlessly impact the MBR. In the airline world, it’s not as easy as “just doing it” because by just doing it you can be in violation of federal law and I 100% guarantee you no agent is going to open themselves up to getting disciplined because a customer decided that they were so special that the rules don’t apply to them. That’s not to say that the agent couldn’t have handled the situation better than he did, but they were correct in that Hawaiian would be responsible for taking the claim. If Mr. PhD would’ve put his phone down and LISTENED to the people who handle these situations on a daily basis we wouldn’t be here. The problem is that in this day and age nobody trusts or respects experience because they think they already know everything.

Oh, come on. He could have just punched the guys baggage tracking number into his computer and told him where it was. But, he did nothing. I have never seen anyone get into trouble or take a DOT hit for looking up where a bag might be in a computer. If the agent would have done that he probably would have gone, "Oh. Wow. It's on a DL flight xxx that arrives at such-and-such a time." Instead, he blew the guy off.

Again there is NO evidence of what happened before the customer started recording. You can absolutely check the computer tracing to see where a bag is without taking a hit, and there is no evidence that this wasn’t done before the customer started recording. It is evident by the video that they had an interaction that led up to this and it’s anyones guess what that interaction consisted of.

bennett123

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:23 pm

Perhaps the customer did not initially expect there to be an incident?.

toobz

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:24 pm

Let me first say, no excuse for a DL employee to talk like that to a passenger. Fact. Now...I also know the type of person that clings to a camera when confronted with something they don’t like hearing. I’m sure this passenger was a complete pain in the ass and I’m gonna venture to guess rather rude to both of the agents. We are not clear on what took place prior to recording..however I think we all know the type of entitlement some folks have..especially the ones that are quick to start recording when things don’t go their way. But the employee should know better. The are representing the company while on the clock and DL did the right thing by removing this employee from service

bennett123

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:28 pm

It seems by saying, (correctly) that we do not know what came before the recording, and then conclude that he probably insulted the Agents.

It is just as likely that the Agent was just a jerk.

If the customer was just being difficult, then why did he not call a supervisor. This was clearly requested by the customer.

speedbird52

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:47 pm

SpinOn2 wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:
SpinOn2 wrote:

Of course DL suspends the worker, no matter what these airlines would rather throw their worker under the bus rather than actually stick up for employees taking abuse and harassment. Can't risk that money and the public eye.

Just like UA with the Dr. Dao flt, the UA workers did nothing wrong and followed UA policy and expectations they were taught, but of course UA then wants to throw them under the bus after the fact.

Nearly killing someone for refusing to move off a seat when it was his legal right to stay is hardly "nothing right" in my opinion. Those employees deserved a lengthy jail sentence if you ask me. Sadistic brutes who only took the job to get some sort of twisted pleasure out of causing bodily harm to others.

Ummm I am talking about the UA agents, it was the police who took the guy off the plane, The UA agents did not do anything illegal at all.

Ah I see. I was under the impression it was private security forces who were hired by UA? Forgive me, I may have my facts mixed up. Seeing people in any authority be it a police officer or a dictator abuse their position hurts me.
"I have control" Three Words That Could Have Saved Lives.

737MAX7

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:54 pm

I sympathize with the agent. Did customer service for 7 years outside of the airline business and will never do it again, especially in an industry where frequent flyers think their you know what doesn’t stink. I’ll stick to loading bags, they don’t talk.

ER757

Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:57 pm

bennett123 wrote:
It seems by saying, (correctly) that we do not know what came before the recording, and then conclude that he probably insulted the Agents.

It is just as likely that the Agent was just a jerk.

If the customer was just being difficult, then why did he not call a supervisor. This was clearly requested by the customer.

***dig, ding, ding*** Correct answer - line employee should have contacted the MOD and let him/her take over at that point. If there is an intractable situation between line employee and customer and customer asks to speak to a supervisor, then they should be allowed to do so. Supervisor may end up telling the customer the same thing regarding the situation as the line employee did, but line employee is off the hook and doesn't end up cursing out the customer (NEVER a good move).

csavel

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:21 pm

Well I guess that agent never saw Portlandia ;-) but in all seriousness, an end-user which is what a customer is, doesn't care about the law or regulations or who is responsible. That customer bought a ticket on Delta, got delayed twice, Delta put him on HA and now he is shuttled back and forth like a tennis ball at the US Open. He is not unreasonably, getting a bit irritated by being shuttled around.

It's true we don't know how the customer FIRST approached the agent, but it would take an amazing person to go from 'customer from hell' to 'polite but persistent' as soon as he hits record. I am betting his behavior on camera was his behavior through the encounter.

As *many* others have stated, the agent could've said.

"Jeez, you got bumped twice and then you got put on Hawaiian? Wow, this hardly ever happens, but I can see why you are angry. Tell you what, let's try to solve this together. I am just gonna ask for your patience for two seconds while I figure out what is going on. Now technically, the law says that this is Hawaiian's responsibility but I can imagine you don't want to hear that, so let me see your check. I am going to call Phil over at Hawaiian to see if he's got it. Gimme two minutes.

Oh wait, I punched it in and in fact we do have it. Gimme a few minutes while I try to locate it."

I don't think that is too much to ask for.
I may be ugly. I may be an American. But don't call me an ugly American.

questions

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:59 pm

Doesn’t the Delta app provide baggage tracking info?

eal46859

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:03 pm

I remember going into work one day at SFO in Baggage Claim and starting my shift on the teletype machine was a message.. the inbound L1011, completely full, left ATL without any baggage containers. None. And it was landing in 1 hour and I was scheduled to work the shift alone. I did get relief help though.

Somehow only a couple of LD11's with freight were onboard and some empty LD3's for out-bound freight. Fortunately, the vast majority of the passengers took it in stride and were polite to me. The crew made an announcement on board before landing , so it wasn't coming as a shock to the passengers. There were one or two I wanted to call out, but overall, it was a relief that most everyone was nice.

Having worked Baggage claim, I can understand that agent's frustration, but of course he shouldn't have called him an a-hole, even if he was acting like one. I hope he doesn't get canned.. it looks like he has some seniority and it wold be a shame if this is the first time he acted out to get fired over a face book/Instagram/Youtube/Snapchat or what have you, posting

questions

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:20 pm

eal46859 wrote:
I remember going into work one day at SFO in Baggage Claim and starting my shift on the teletype machine was a message.. the inbound L1011, completely full, left ATL without any baggage containers. None. And it was landing in 1 hour and I was scheduled to work the shift alone. I did get relief help though.

Somehow only a couple of LD11's with freight were onboard and some empty LD3's for out-bound freight. Fortunately, the vast majority of the passengers took it in stride and were polite to me. The crew made an announcement on board before landing , so it wasn't coming as a shock to the passengers. There were one or two I wanted to call out, but overall, it was a relief that most everyone was nice.

Having worked Baggage claim, I can understand that agent's frustration, but of course he shouldn't have called him an a-hole, even if he was acting like one. I hope he doesn't get canned.. it looks like he has some seniority and it wold be a shame if this is the first time he acted out to get fired over a face book/Instagram/Youtube/Snapchat or what have you, posting

What makes it worse today and adds to customer frustration is that they have to PAY to check bags and airlines have not invested enough in technology to reduce the problem of mishandled bags... ie, no value add for what the customer is paying for.

Airlines’ management teams have created today’s environment of treating the customer like the enemy and putting frontline employees in difficult situations and in some cases without the tools and (refresher) training to do their jobs. The militant “call the police” attitude is absolutely horrible for a situation that probably could have been handled more appropriately even if the customer was acting like an external anal sphincter.

I can’t imagine if the hotel industry operated the way the airline industry does!

NeBaNi

Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:52 pm

As someone who has a relationship with Delta and other airlines as a passenger, I'm a little confused as to what all the folks here who defend Delta belive the passenger ought to have done?
Should he have:
(i) gone to Hawaiian and taken up his case with HA? If so....
He did, and was sent back to Delta, as his videos and news article state.

(ii) left the airport to deal with the situation via official channels, such as a phone number or an online form? If so....
... we'd have people here on a.net arguing that any reasonable passenger would have just resolved the situation at the airport, like this guy tried to do.

(iii) been more knowledgeable about what happens if you get rebooked on carrier B while carrier A still transported your luggage? If so....
... where is this information, and where can infrequent fliers like myself find it so that we don't get ourselves into this kind of situation?

Also, if the passengers was bounced back and forth between DL and HA like that, what would YOU have done? Traveling is stressful, and things like this don't make it easy on the traveler. I'm not sure I'd consider myself entitled if I go to a customer service agent (guess what they're there for? HINT: customer service) to ask about my bag.

I guess my question is, in your eyes, what should the passenger have done differently to get his situation resolved? I agree with others that if he hadn't taken video footage, he would have been verbally abused and on top of that, no one would have believed his story. We have people on a.net who jump to crucify the passenger as being abusive DESPITE there being video evidence to the contrary. What makes you think it would have gone any better for him if he hadn't shot video?

thegoldenargosy

Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:37 am

I think video taping a customer service agent is the best way not to get service.

F9Animal

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:13 am

I can't tell you how many times I wanted to reach over the counter and hit someone. Or how badly I wanted to curse them off in return. But... I didn't. Why? For one, I know I could lose my job. The other is because I represent the airline. I don't care what the passenger said, the agent didn't need to say what he said. Especially knowing there was a camera pointed at him. It was obviously a poor choice, and I suspect he officially retired by now. If not, he should.
I Am A Different Animal!!

Rookie87

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:16 am

bgm wrote:
The fact that people are defending the employee says a lot about how low customer service has sunk in the US airline industry. Their job is to deal with difficult passengers, that's what they're paid to do. To use profanities against a paying customer, regardless of whoever was in the right, is wrong. No ifs, no buts.

Since when did anyone sign up to “deal” with (the exact word the employee used)??? In what world does a sane person applies for that? You go stand somewhere and get cussed at by a grad A buffoon and let’s see how YOU win the oscar for best performance in an emotionally tense situation lol
I’ve been frontline and had someone cuss at me because everyone didn’t like my reply that the flight was late due to the thunderstorm outside (with tornados mind you) and diverged, waiting to be cleared. Told me I was full of .... . I politely had my supervisor deal with him since I was full of ... and I walked away before I reacted.
Another cussed at me because he got to the counter late and it was my fault the plane was pushing back when he got there one minute after DEPARTURE.
And the list goes ON.
Y’all have no CLUE how difficult it is to “deal” with these stressful situations. You do not get trained or prepared for it. And those recordings are so ridiculous. They never record their ignorance, but are happy to pretend to be someone entirely different when the camera starts rolling so that y’all feel sorry for them *eye roll*

(This is not an excuse for the legit awful customer service experiences that DO happen)
Last edited by Rookie87 on Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

lebda

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:18 am

Is it bad that I laughed?

I mean, obviously you shouldn't be working in customer service if you don't have an endless amount of patience, and even if the passenger was genuinely a fucking asshole, you don't tell them that, but that baggage guy's reaction is gold.
Denver Tower: Gulfstream 592, you’re cleared to 9,000 feet. For a vector to Hector, contact the sector director.

Rookie87

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:28 am

questions wrote:
eal46859 wrote:

What makes it worse today and adds to customer frustration is that they have to PAY to check bags and airlines have not invested enough in technology to reduce the problem of mishandled bags... ie, no value add for what the customer is paying for.

Airlines’ management teams have created today’s environment of treating the customer like the enemy and putting frontline employees in difficult situations and in some cases without the tools and (refresher) training to do their jobs. The militant “call the police” attitude is absolutely horrible for a situation that probably could have been handled more appropriately even if the customer was acting like an external anal sphincter.

I can’t imagine if the hotel industry operated the way the airline industry does!

That’s your personal view. I’ve seen baggage tracking available to customers on their phones, bags being scanned to not only keep tabs on the bags but to allow the BSO agents immediately find out where the mishap happened and make sure it doesn’t happen again, baggage reports done online so that it populates all the data and so much more even rewards to stations with the lowest amount of mishandled bags!
It’s sad that you’d assume that nothing is being done to add value to you paying to haul your luggage.

Rookie87

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:36 am

csavel wrote:
Well I guess that agent never saw Portlandia ;-) but in all seriousness, an end-user which is what a customer is, doesn't care about the law or regulations or who is responsible. That customer bought a ticket on Delta, got delayed twice, Delta put him on HA and now he is shuttled back and forth like a tennis ball at the US Open. He is not unreasonably, getting a bit irritated by being shuttled around.

It's true we don't know how the customer FIRST approached the agent, but it would take an amazing person to go from 'customer from hell' to 'polite but persistent' as soon as he hits record. I am betting his behavior on camera was his behavior through the encounter.

As *many* others have stated, the agent could've said.

"Jeez, you got bumped twice and then you got put on Hawaiian? Wow, this hardly ever happens, but I can see why you are angry. Tell you what, let's try to solve this together. I am just gonna ask for your patience for two seconds while I figure out what is going on. Now technically, the law says that this is Hawaiian's responsibility but I can imagine you don't want to hear that, so let me see your check. I am going to call Phil over at Hawaiian to see if he's got it. Gimme two minutes.

Oh wait, I punched it in and in fact we do have it. Gimme a few minutes while I try to locate it."

I don't think that is too much to ask for.

I’ve seen it happen at the gates while waiting for my flight to board!! And deplaning an aircraft! It’s crazy to think that people ARE in fact crazy to actually get the reaction that they get on record.
As easy as it is for anyone to type on here how they are a grade A customer service employee or some easy going frequent flyer who “never” complains, the ones recording can and have flipped a switch as soon as they hit record. I should have been recording what I saw but I’ll tell you what, I was SHOCKED and front those three experiences I’ve had seeing for myself how crazy people can be, I’m for the assumption that this customer could have been definitely crazy. The agent knew he’d risk his livelihood...to lose it the way they did tells ME that this must have been insane.
Imagine you go out with someone who cussed at you for xyz reason and when someone else shows up, proceeds to start crying and acting like a victim and gets other people to blame you for doing something you didn’t. Keep your cool then and I’ll buy you dinner

Rookie87

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:39 am

ual763 wrote:
thegoldenargosy wrote:
The passenger probably deserved it.

Wouldn't doubt it. But, the employee shouldn't have said those things, especially when being filmed.

Having watched the video lol i laughed out loud when he cussed lol
Listen to how the customer sounds shaken!!! He’s obviously angry! And the agent reacted to a culmination of things lol OMG where is the before video when you want it!

IPFreely

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:46 am

klm617 wrote:
I have encountered this kind of attitude in various Delta stations so it's a Delta problem over worked employees and lack of adequate resources to handle the work load.

I expected wildly different reactions to the video but one thing I never expected was a comment about overworked employees. From watching the video a lot of words could be used to describe those two employees -- but "overworked" isn't one that comes to mind. Cardboard cutouts of employees could do the same work those two were doing in the video.

Super80Fan

Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:05 am

greggariouspdx wrote:
This does not surprise me. I live in Portland and avoid Delta like the plague because their personnel at PDX are some of the rudest people I have encountered. The woman in the video came from the merger with Northworst and is a real piece of work.

Agreed, the PMDL employees are great at PDX but the ones who came from Northwest at PDX are real pieces of work...
RIP McDonnell Douglas

Jamake1

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:21 am

My first thought was this agent must be former NWA (no offense to the former NW’ers, but the corporate cultures between DL & NW were night and day).

I’ve been a flight attendant for 27 years. In that time, I’ve had to difuse countless angry and sometimes even downright hostile passengers. I haven’t always gotten it right, but ultimately I am the one getting PAID to keep it professional and not engage when an angry customer personalizes their frustration. In instances like this, I have to remind myself to step out of my own way because it’s not about ME. If I engage by snapping back at a customer because I may not like their tone, then I have completely lost my power. This does not imply that I allow myself to be set up for customer abuse. I can set a heathy boundary for myself while working toward a solution.

It is never appropriate to use profanity, but there’s a big difference between using it for emphasis (as in, you can take my f**kin’ picture) and using it to ATTACK another person (a**hole!). Sorry, but this Delta employee has lost his way. He appears to have stagnated into utter complacency with no initiative to be the least bit proactive. He demonstrated an utter disregard for the customer’s plight and a failure to take any ownership for the situation.

Regardless of what exchange may have occurred off camera, the Delta employee exercised extremely poor restraint and no boundaries. The customer behind the camera managed to maintain a much better sense of emotional equilibrium than the Delta agent, who in my eyes, has lost all credibility. His behavior is appalling.
Come fly the sun.

bennett123

Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:48 am

Putting the cussing to one side.

You send the customer to HA, he comes back saying they batted him back to you.

So your response is to simply repeat that HA need to deal with this.

Job done.

There were two Agents, and any other passengers were keeping silent. It seems likely that no one else was present.

Why could one of them not check the systems or call HA.

I wonder how many of those unhappy about the conversation being (partly) recorded would have disputed what happened if it had not been recorded.

mjoelnir

Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:04 am

dc10co wrote:
LH982 wrote:
dc10co wrote:

14 CFR Part 234 dictates airline baggage reporting requirements, that would be the federal law being broken.

The gentleman was no longer a customer of Delta when Delta endorsed the ticket the customer had with them to Hawaiian. At that point he became a customer of Hawaiian

I have a big problem with this. These may be the fine details of the rules and regulations, but this is not what is being sold to the customer. We are told that the big dependable airline will get us from A to B in the level of comfort we are able to pay for and we will have everything at the end that we had at the beginning. At no stage does a major airline advertise that they may change your agenda and then disown you.

The airline cannot change your agenda without your consent. I’ve had plenty of customers turn down interline options because they don’t want to fly with “that” carrier. If you have that big of a problem with it then either A don’t accept the interline reroute or B fly with an airline that doesn’t interline like Southwest or Spirit. Interline agreements exist for the benefit of the customer not the big bad airline. If it were up to the carriers I’m sure they would love to keep the money to themselves and not interline at all. But then everyone would riot because the second there was a major event the big bad airlines wouldn’t be able to get you home for days, which is exactly what happens at airlines like Southwest or Spirit when they have meltdowns. 99% of the time interline invol reroutes go off without a hitch and are beneficial to the passenger. But sometimes things like these happen, which is exactly why the DOT has laws in place that govern what happens when things go wrong in these scenarios.

You confuse reporting that some baggage did not arrive on time with giving service to a customer. Nothing in your precious 14 CFR Part 234 declares, you are not aloud to tell a customer where his luggage is.

You just stating rubbish. The passenger is a customer of Delta. He bought the ticket at Delta and he paid Delta, so he is a customer of Delta. In other cases were you interline, code share, whatever, it seems to be important who sold the ticket, because if something is wrong with the ticket, it matters who sold it to you. Delta contracted with HA to fly the customer for them, that does not stop this passenger from being a customer of Delta.

All this is really beside the point.

We are talking about providing service here. And once again I am of the opinion that you have no idea what providing service means.

The Delta staffer send this passenger the HA desk, the HA desk sends him back. Latest at that time the Delta staffer should have started to do what he is paid for, providing service to passengers. If he is of the opinion that HA is responsible he can call HA. He can also look into his computer and he would have realized that Delta still had his bag. Instead he decides to be a lazy asshole and blows off the customer, than he insults the customer, than he calls police or intends to, he does not call his supervisor.

The solution would have been that this staffer would have done his work that he is paid for, provide service to customers.
Last edited by mjoelnir on Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

sergegva

Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:08 am

:redflag: Useful information: there are THREE videos in the link provided in the first post, not only one. Please watch them all before posting comments. :redflag:

Virtual737

Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:40 am

I can understand that being videod while doing your job would be annoying. It would certainly annoy me. However, the camera was not 'in his face'. There was clearly several feet between the two.

My main point is.... if you've given good service and someone points a camera at you because they don't have the answer they wanted, use the opportunity to state on camera all the things you have already done to try and help the customer to make it 100% clear that the customer is being unreasonable. Then try and help them anyway because..... it's your job.

There is nothing to suggest the customer did anything particularly offensive and this is the lost luggage counter so staff should be very good at diffusing situations.

If I had to make assumptions any assumptions on what happened before any filming then I would have to guess that the 2 Delta employees were just as useless and annoying as they were in the videos.

NWAESC

Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:55 pm

Super80Fan wrote:
greggariouspdx wrote:
This does not surprise me. I live in Portland and avoid Delta like the plague because their personnel at PDX are some of the rudest people I have encountered. The woman in the video came from the merger with Northworst and is a real piece of work.

Agreed, the PMDL employees are great at PDX but the ones who came from Northwest at PDX are real pieces of work...

That's quite a broad statement.

It's also inaccurate.

Just curious; any of you actually know the agent in question? Ever worked with him? I have. He's a good guy.

Any of you ever had a bad day? Said something you wished you could walk back? Be honest.
"Nothing ever happens here, " I said. "I just wait."

Calder

Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:20 pm

Regardless of the position of the people in the video, it's not acceptable to talk to anyone the way that DL employee was talking to the man filming.

That said, I also think it's pretty sad that people feel the need to shove a camera in someones face when they're having a disagreement. It's just plain rude.
C. T.

Revelation

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:31 pm

Calder wrote:
Regardless of the position of the people in the video, it's not acceptable to talk to anyone the way that DL employee was talking to the man filming.

That said, I also think it's pretty sad that people feel the need to shove a camera in someones face when they're having a disagreement. It's just plain rude.

It's just leveling the power gradient.

The agent threatened the guy with calling the cops with no discernible reason, which justifies the recording IMHO.

The agent deserves the notoriety, IMHO.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has it's beaches, it's homeland and thoughts of it's own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has it's seasons, it's evenings and songs of it's own

IPFreely

Re: Delta Employee Uses Vulgarities Towards oCustomer @ PDX

Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:37 pm

sergegva wrote:
:redflag: Useful information: there are THREE videos in the link provided in the first post, not only one. Please watch them all before posting comments. :redflag:

Excellent point. I think a lot of posters never watched the two longer videos to see just how useless these employees were before the short one with the swearing.

dc10co

Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:05 pm

NWAESC wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
greggariouspdx wrote:

It's also inaccurate.

Just curious; any of you actually know the agent in question? Ever worked with him? I have. He's a good guy.

Any of you ever had a bad day? Said something you wished you could walk back? Be honest.

This has been my point all along. The agent is a human being too and while he clearly made a mistake, people who have no idea who this man really is judge his whole entire career based on a 2 minute video. Mostly based on the sentiment “oh I’ve encountered bad agents when I flew and all airline CS people are just lazy and worthless and don’t care about their jobs”.

It’s one thing to sit behind a computer and play anonymous armchair quarterback and it’s a whole different ball game to be in the heat of the moment with a jackass shoving a camera in your face.

Super80Fan

Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:14 pm

NWAESC wrote:
Super80Fan wrote:
greggariouspdx wrote:

It's also inaccurate.

I've personally seen both agents years ago at PDX. They don't stand out so that must mean they didn't do anything offensive or above & beyond, unlike many other Delta agents I'm remembering recently that I've had fantastic experiences with.
RIP McDonnell Douglas

Rookie87

Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:24 pm

It’s ridiculous that any of you can even defend this dude. He clearly isn’t listening and hasn’t listened to the agents who are having to keep repeating themselves over and over to him while he keeps telling the agents NO and cutting them off. The woman clearly is polite with him and even says while he interrupts her that she has given him the information and he refuses to listen. The other one is clearly over it and refuses to deal with him.
For those who suggest calling a MOD...I’ve seen worst and you as an employee are expected to deal with it because it is common that people refuse to listen to you, think they know better. Sometimes it’s due to pure ignorance on their part, and other times it is because they’ve been lied to by lazy agents. In this case, they guy is an ignorant one who can’t seem to listen

usdcaguy

Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:33 pm

Having been a baggage service agent, I can confirm that passengers, especially East Indian males, can throw terrible tantrums only seen in daycare centers. The guy was wrong for cussing him out. Personally, I would have seen whether we had the bag before sending him back to Hawaiian, but the rules are the rules regarding the final carrier.

mjoelnir

Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:46 pm

Rookie87 wrote:
It’s ridiculous that any of you can even defend this dude. He clearly isn’t listening and hasn’t listened to the agents who are having to keep repeating themselves over and over to him while he keeps telling the agents NO and cutting them off. The woman clearly is polite with him and even says while he interrupts her that she has given him the information and he refuses to listen. The other one is clearly over it and refuses to deal with him.
For those who suggest calling a MOD...I’ve seen worst and you as an employee are expected to deal with it because it is common that people refuse to listen to you, think they know better. Sometimes it’s due to pure ignorance on their part, and other times it is because they’ve been lied to by lazy agents. In this case, they guy is an ignorant one who can’t seem to listen

If a passengers has been bounced back and fourth between two professionals at each airlines help desk, both declaring the other is responsible, than all bets are off.

A passenger is not responsible to know the in and outs of who he has to talk about his bag, very simple. When the professionals disagree they clear it up with each other. A lot of the posters here seem to be that aged that have not realized that phones are already invented.

The passenger booked the flight with Delta, he paid the flight to Delta and he had a luggage tag from Delta. As the passenger has to decide who is misinforming him, because one of the help desks is misinforming him, I can only agree that he did not take the Delta guy by his word.
It can even be the case that the Hawaiian desk run his tag, did see the luggage was still with Delta and send him back to the Delta desk.

Revelation

Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:16 pm

dc10co wrote:
This has been my point all along. The agent is a human being too and while he clearly made a mistake, people who have no idea who this man really is judge his whole entire career based on a 2 minute video. Mostly based on the sentiment “oh I’ve encountered bad agents when I flew and all airline CS people are just lazy and worthless and don’t care about their jobs”.

It’s one thing to sit behind a computer and play anonymous armchair quarterback and it’s a whole different ball game to be in the heat of the moment with a jackass shoving a camera in your face.

And the pax in question is a professional who is trying to get to a conference he needs to be at and DL has changed their itinerary three times through no fault of his and after a long day of travel has been given the run around three times trying to figure out what happened to his bag.

Your plea for sympathy dies with the "shoving a camera in your face" stuff. The camera was present but wasn't shoved in their face. If the person is doing their job reasonably well they shouldn't be intimidated by a camera. As above, it'd be a good point for them to get their usefulness onto the record. Instead they called the pax an asshole and threatened them with the cops.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has it's beaches, it's homeland and thoughts of it's own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has it's seasons, it's evenings and songs of it's own

klm617

Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:28 pm

usdcaguy wrote:
Having been a baggage service agent, I can confirm that passengers, especially East Indian males, can throw terrible tantrums only seen in daycare centers. The guy was wrong for cussing him out. Personally, I would have seen whether we had the bag before sending him back to Hawaiian, but the rules are the rules regarding the final carrier.

First of all the man is the customer he pays for a service to get him and his belongings from point A to point B together. IF my suitcase that I paid for to be checked didn't arrive with me you better be doing everything in your power expeditiously to reunite me with my belongings that is your job end of story. God only knows how long this guy has be traveling because his initial flight was canceled and rebooked only to be stuck at your destination waiting to find out where your bag is and no one seems to be going over and above to help you resolve your issue. I'm sure if the man felt that his concern was being taken care of seriously we wouldn't even be having this thread but once again said airline CSA thinks they have the right to push customers around. If you don't want to deal with overbearing people that you shouldn't work in the service industry. If this man couldn't find the customers bag in the Delta system he should have been on the phone finding out where it was after all Delta was the initial service provider that this man purchased his ticket from.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

evank516

Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:16 pm

questions wrote:
Doesn’t the Delta app provide baggage tracking info?

It does, and it's a great tool, but we can't expect everyone to have the app.

Rookie87

Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:42 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
Rookie87 wrote:

If a passengers has been bounced back and fourth between two professionals at each airlines help desk, both declaring the other is responsible, than all bets are off.

A passenger is not responsible to know the in and outs of who he has to talk about his bag, very simple. When the professionals disagree they clear it up with each other. A lot of the posters here seem to be that aged that have not realized that phones are already invented.

The passenger booked the flight with Delta, he paid the flight to Delta and he had a luggage tag from Delta. As the passenger has to decide who is misinforming him, because one of the help desks is misinforming him, I can only agree that he did not take the Delta guy by his word.
It can even be the case that the Hawaiian desk run his tag, did see the luggage was still with Delta and send him back to the Delta desk.

I do not mean any disrespect in this reply,
I’ve had this very issue happen to me. You’re right, it isn’t the customers fault, but then who’s fault is it? Why is he blaming the DL agents if they are right and the Hawaiian agents are wrong? Yes it is infuriating, yes. I do not disagree. I’ve played this game with AS and AA and I’ve watched one agent call the other airline and get in to an argument with the other airline because the employee of the airline at fault refused to do their job. Maybe, the DL agent did not want to have to argue? Maybe the DL agent had called? Maybe the DL agent felt that the HA agent should have just done their job and he shouldn’t have to call them to force them to? Maybe the customer should have just thrown his tantrum there instead of at DL? Or ask for a supervisor at HA instead? He’s assuming and you’re presumig from the customer’s actions that the DL agents lied to him and that the HA agents told him the truth.
My point is, DL gave him the information, HA did not do what they were supposed to do. If they did, he’d have more to say than “this is a DL tag”

dfwjim1

Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:48 pm

Why did the customer have to have his phone out recording this interaction? As a side note, last year an American Airlines customer service person was caught on film flipping off a customer. After an investigation, AA terminated her employment with the company.

TVNWZ

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:00 pm

Rookie87 wrote:
My point is, DL gave him the information, HA did not do what they were supposed to do. If they did, he’d have more to say than “this is a DL tag”

DL did not give him the information and you do not know HA did not do what they were supposed to do. The agent did not say, "Let me look that up for you and let's see what the computer says." You do not know if HA maybe did that and the HA guy says, "Sir, your bag is on Delta 1235. You need to go back there." Providing SERVICE is not hiding behind rules to be inactive. Service is going above and beyond. From all the videos I could see, the DL agent provided no service other than 'not my job. It's HA's job.'

sergegva

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:08 pm

Some insiders keep saying that it was Hawaiian's responsability to give the luggage back to this customer (period).
All right. However, in this particular situation, it appears that the suitcase flew with Delta, and was already delivered when the pax arrived. Right?

If I understand it correctly, Hawaiian should have asked Delta for the suitcase, and gave it back to this customer at the Hawaiian counter. Still correct?
But what if the Hawaiian counter had checked where the bag was, discovered that it already arrived at the airport and was still with Delta, and decided something like "instead of contacting Delta & asking them to bring the bag here, it will be more quick to tell this pax to go directly to Delta's counter"?

I mean, they maybe sent the guy back to Delta on purpose, knowing that his bag was still there because they didn't ask it back from Delta yet. Is this scenario possible? If yes, the guy was totally stucked. And when you watch the videos, it seems that he was totally unable to explain his case at Delta's counter because they decided not to listen to him the moment he said "I arrived with Hawaiian"...

filipair

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:14 pm

This dude should sue. Delta's irrop issues and subsequent disastrous customer service are not his problem, nor should being calling profanities by a representative of a company you patronized be his problem.

Rookie87

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:17 pm

TVNWZ wrote:
Rookie87 wrote:

DL did not give him the information and you do not know HA did not do what they were supposed to do. The agent did not say, "Let me look that up for you and let's see what the computer says." You do not know if HA maybe did that and the HA guy says, "Sir, your bag is on Delta 1235. You need to go back there." Providing SERVICE is not hiding behind rules to be inactive. Service is going above and beyond. From all the videos I could see, the DL agent provided no service other than 'not my job. It's HA's job.'

And please tell us how wise you are.

From the video it’s easy to see, if you can actually pay attention, that he’s been given the information he needs. HA assumed responsibility for the bag, point blank period. The DL agents repeatedly informed him from his video that he needed to go Hawaiian AND that the agent could not even pull up his baggage info from what he had! Which means his bag got retagged to Hawaiian and the DL bag tag he has does not exist. Most of us who have been in these jobs know this information from experience! You obviously lack that so why not just ASK us what could be going on instead of jumping to your ill informed conclusions???
You did not watch the video to understand the information from both sides. He did not care what the agents were saying, all he cared about was repeating that he had a DL tag so DL has his bag and recording that. It’s basically like you having been rebooked and you kept your info from the flight you got rebooked from and start recording an agent from the previous airlineaskimg why you don’t have a seat! Seriously...

usdcaguy

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:20 pm

klm617 wrote:
usdcaguy wrote:

First of all the man is the customer he pays for a service to get him and his belongings from point A to point B together. IF my suitcase that I paid for to be checked didn't arrive with me you better be doing everything in your power expeditiously to reunite me with my belongings that is your job end of story. God only knows how long this guy has be traveling because his initial flight was canceled and rebooked only to be stuck at your destination waiting to find out where your bag is and no one seems to be going over and above to help you resolve your issue. I'm sure if the man felt that his concern was being taken care of seriously we wouldn't even be having this thread but once again said airline CSA thinks they have the right to push customers around. If you don't want to deal with overbearing people that you shouldn't work in the service industry. If this man couldn't find the customers bag in the Delta system he should have been on the phone finding out where it was after all Delta was the initial service provider that this man purchased his ticket from.

It’s not the end of the story. The rule is that the final carrier must take the claim (the passenger becomes theirs) as long as there is a ticketing and baggage agreement in place. In this case, it was HA, and they likely weren’t doing their job. With the Delta app, you can check to see where your bag is. If it’s at the station, you can ask them for it. Realistically, DL should have already taken the bag to HA, so that should have been a mute point.

airportugal310

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:26 pm

All this "DL this, HA this" is merely conjecture at this point. The DL agent swore at the pax, not the HA agent. There were better ways to deal with this situation on both ends, but the swear came from the DL agent. That's all that should be debated, if there is even a debate to be had. The video shows THAT, the rest is moot now.
I sell airplanes and airplane accessories

Rookie87

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:27 pm

sergegva wrote:
Some insiders keep saying that it was Hawaiian's responsability to give the luggage back to this customer (period).
All right. However, in this particular situation, it appears that the suitcase flew with Delta, and was already delivered when the pax arrived. Right?

If I understand it correctly, Hawaiian should have asked Delta for the suitcase, and gave it back to this customer at the Hawaiian counter. Still correct?
But what if the Hawaiian counter had checked where the bag was, discovered that it already arrived at the airport and was still with Delta, and decided something like "instead of contacting Delta & asking them to bring the bag here, it will be more quick to tell this pax to go directly to Delta's counter"?

I mean, they maybe sent the guy back to Delta on purpose, knowing that his bag was still there because they didn't ask it back from Delta yet. Is this scenario possible? If yes, the guy was totally stucked. And when you watch the videos, it seems that he was totally unable to explain his case at Delta's counter because they decided not to listen to him the moment he said "I arrived with Hawaiian"...

Big NO. We don’t know anything from the bag status from the video. All we know is that he got rebooked and that HA assumed responsibility for the bag, which means, the HA agent should have been the one to get the bag, end of story. It wasn’t the DL agents responsibility at that point AND considering how the customer sounded and how both agents were reacting, he had said and done things before recording that would have explained the whole story.

So far we have a few facts regarding DOT rules that have been posted from other posters. And proof from the video that he was angry and refused to listen AND was rude! Do you cut off people while they’re trying to explain something to you calmly? If not then how dare you condone his behavior?

klm617

Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:33 pm

Rookie87 wrote:
sergegva wrote:

Big NO. We don’t know anything from the bag status from the video. All we know is that he got rebooked and that HA assumed responsibility for the bag, which means, the HA agent should have been the one to get the bag, end of story. It wasn’t the DL agents responsibility at that point AND considering how the customer sounded and how both agents were reacting, he had said and done things before recording that would have explained the whole story.

So far we have a few facts regarding DOT rules that have been posted from other posters. And proof from the video that he was angry and refused to listen AND was rude! Do you cut off people while they’re trying to explain something to you calmly? If not then how dare you condone his behavior?

Who said his bag was on the Hawaiian flight with him perhaps his bag still flew aboard a Delta aircraft or after he checked in his bag Delta never brought it to the Hawaiian aircraft.
the truth does matter, guys. too bad it's often quite subjective. the truth is beyond the mere facts and figures. it's beyond good and bad, right and wrong...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos