RetroRoo
Topic Author

New Qantas Indigenous Livery

Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:54 pm

She looks absolutely beautiful. Named in honour of a truly legendary Australian artist, ceremonial leader and a custodian of Dreaming sites; Emily Name Kngwarreye.

QF have put together a website for the artwork: https://www.qantas.com/emily
Last edited by RetroRoo on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.

RL777

Re: New Qantas Indigenous Livery

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:06 pm

Looks pretty good, not as striking as some of their previous designs but much better than I was expecting given their last attempt.

ClassicLover

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:07 pm

RetroRoo wrote:
She looks absolutely beautiful.

Absolutely! I love the Australian indigenous art aircraft that Qantas do. They are so striking!
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

smi0006

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:14 pm

RL777 wrote:
Looks pretty good, not as striking as some of their previous designs but much better than I was expecting given their last attempt.

I agree! Looks great, and whilst not as striking does make sense given the additional weight Nalanji and Wunala were flying round. I’d say it would have an impact PER-LHR.

Hopefully one day we’ll see one on an A380 too!

sturmovik

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:19 pm

Wunala Dreamliner-ing? :)
'What's it doing now?'

Kashmon

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:28 pm

looks awesome!!

undertheradar

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:31 pm

Last edited by undertheradar on Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

undertheradar

Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:41 pm

undertheradar wrote:
LOVE IT :) A beautiful piece from YAM DREAMING by Emily Kame Kngwarreye. Every piece of the QF indigenous art series tells a different story of DIFFERENT DREAMINGS. It's a great education for me when I do some background research on what each artwork means to the indigenous culture of Australia. I suggest others do the same. Some may/may not like them (everyone's a critic lol), but EACH ONE AND EACH ARTIST deserves some respect. :)

sudenmorsian

Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:35 pm

Absolutely stunning, and the color of the art goes very well with that of the tail. Among the better indigenous liveries QF has put out over the years IMO.
HPN · NYC

Goodbye

Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:56 pm

Wow that is gorgeous!
✈︎

LoganTheBogan

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:23 am

Shots of the aircraft outside

https://www.instagram.com/calla_darling/
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.

lebda

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:25 am

Looks amazing.
Denver Tower: Gulfstream 592, you’re cleared to 9,000 feet. For a vector to Hector, contact the sector director.

AtomicGarden

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:28 am

Very nice. Always enojy the combination of orange and red like Boeing's 747-8

infinit

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:45 am

Beautiful. Qantas does amazing special liveries inspired by their native aboriginal art.. In contrast to airlines with generic soulless schemes *cough* lufthansa...

spiah

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:48 am

Really stunning. Can't wait to see more photos.

PanAm_DC10
Community Manager

Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:01 am

A few shots have been uploaded to the site on its first flight;

Ask the impossible to achieve the best possible

SuperTwin

Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:24 am

Wow. That looks really good.

I’ve always thought that style of Aussie Indigenous art was quite something. Great combo!
SuperTwin

Antarius

Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:26 am

This is one where the whole is less than the sum of the parts. It looks great in the view from the side rear and the close ups - it looks meh when viewing the whole thing.

It looks like an aircraft with barnacles from a distance
2018: AUA CLT IAH HOU DFW COS DEN CLL ORD PEK PVG PHX SFO SJC OAK PHL YYC STL DTW HNL OGG JFK LGA EWR GIG GRU IGU CWB SDU

uatulip

Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:35 am

Lufthansa, take note.... again.

DELTA711

Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:41 am

Very nice... glad to see another special livery from Qantas, and a very fitting piece they have chosen

LAX772LR

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:21 am

It ain't Wunala/Nalanji... but it'll do!

And thankfully they put it on a longhaul aircraft again!
I myself, suspect a more prosaic motive... ~Thranduil

JannEejit

Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:01 am

Qantas should make that their mainstream livery, it's really outstanding !

Tedd

Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:13 am

Sorry to break-up the party, to my eye the livery is a mess to the point where it
makes the beautiful Dreamliner look ordinary.

Gemuser

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:24 pm

Tedd wrote:
Sorry to break-up the party, to my eye the livery is a mess to the point where it

Well you are entitled to your opinion, of course, but it does show off your ignorance of Indigenous Australian art. There is a reason that all the Ozzies on here are almost unanimously appreciative of it.

Gemuser

don0245

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:41 pm

Great art...but not on an aircraft.

qf789

Fri Feb 16, 2018 12:56 pm

Forum Moderator

Tedd

Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:24 pm

Gemuser wrote:
Tedd wrote:

Well you are entitled to your opinion, of course, but it does show off your ignorance of Indigenous Australian art. There is a reason that all the Ozzies on here are almost unanimously appreciative of it.

Gemuser

Not ignorant of Indigenous art at all, got Australian blood in my veins, but don0245 put it succinctly......"great art but not on a plane",
& I whole heartedly agree, it looks naff. Makes me think of the BA tails fiasco which was ultra naff :).

Bavd

Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:34 pm

So when you board there is a complementary didgeridoo and some hallucinogens? :praise:

aloha73g

Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:19 pm

Absolutely beautiful! I think Qantas does a fantastic job with these special liveries. It’s amazing that they promote indigenous art like this in such a creative and beautiful way.

-Aloha!
Aloha Airlines - The Spirit Moves Us. Gone but NEVER Forgotten. Aloha, A Hui Hou!

gzm

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:08 pm

Looks nice but I think it needs more colour near the tail to make the livery "warmer".

-Yassoooo Qantas!

neomax

Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:53 pm

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what actually makes this an indigenous livery? I know QF has done this before, but what part of the livery actually references indigenous people? Without any sort of actual reference, most people would probably assume it to be little more than an elaborate pattern of dots. I am not deriding this livery in any way, just curious. I am neutral on this livery, I personally liked Wunala Dreaming the best because of the full color and the name would have been perfect for the Dreamliner!

andrej

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:02 pm

It is nice, and QANTAS has a good website about all special liveries.

https://www.qantas.com/travel/airlines/ ... /global/en

But to me Wunala dreaming on 744 was the best.

mariner

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:45 pm

neomax wrote:
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what actually makes this an indigenous livery? I know QF has done this before, but what part of the livery actually references indigenous people? Without any sort of actual reference, most people would probably assume it to be little more than an elaborate pattern of dots. I am not deriding this livery in any way, just curious. I am neutral on this livery, I personally liked Wunala Dreaming the best because of the full color and the name would have been perfect for the Dreamliner!

The style makes it an indigenous painting. From Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigenous_Australian_art

In 1971–1972, art teacher Geoffrey Bardon encouraged Aboriginal people in Papunya, north west of Alice Springs to put their Dreamings onto canvas. These stories had previously been drawn on the desert sand, and were now given a more permanent form.

It was easier for them to paint the "dot" form and a number pf people said they were just "dots" - in fact the best of them had form and content in an Aboriginal perception and there were a couple of splendid artists who were able to paint their "dreaming" - their imagination - in the form but accessible to western eyes. The idea of teaching art to Aboriginals caused a stink and one painting was whited out, but Bardon was able, through his films, such as "Mick and the Moon" to reach a wider audience and the paintings took off. Not all of them use the dot form but it is the most common.

To generalise, the paintings are seen with the eye of God - all seen from above - and represent what the painter knows - the map of his (and now her) place and his/her individual self in that place, his/her dreaming. Women have come late to the school - originally it was only men - but the presence of women has changed the form slightly. The painter can be in almost any circumstance - "Earth's Creation" for example, which will be seen in the painter's eyes. Certain icons may be used - a series of small concentric circles to represent a fire, for example, with a half arc beside it being a squatting man seen from above.

There's a school of thought which says it's all a massive con, they're just bunch of dots put together to hoodwink western eyes, and there may be some truth to that in some cases, but generally it is accepted as recently discovered, highly desirable - although actively non-wesetern - art form.

mariner
aeternum nauta

VirginFlyer

Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:20 am

neomax wrote:

In addition to what Mariner wrote above, Qantas's website about this aircraft explains more of the story:
This unique Qantas Dreamliner livery was inspired by 1991 artwork ‘Yam Dreaming’, painted by the late artist, Emily Kame Kngwarreye.

The painting captures the essence of the yam plant, an important symbol in Emily’s Dreamtime story, and an important food source in her home region of Utopia, 230 kilometres north east of Alice Springs.

A senior member of the Anmatyerre clan, ceremonial leader and a custodian of Dreaming sites in Alhalkere, Emily Kame Kngwarreye was introduced to art late in life through a government funded education program at Utopia, and in 1978 became a founding member of the Utopia Women’s Batik Group. Emily began painting on canvas in 1988 and over the next eight years quickly garnered attention for her remarkable body of work that embodied her deep spiritual and cultural connections to her country and community.

https://www.qantas.com/in/en/about-us/o ... emily.html

gzm wrote:
Looks nice but I think it needs more colour near the tail to make the livery "warmer".

-Yassoooo Qantas!
[/quote][/quote]
I think they were somewhat constrained by the colour of the painting which they have been inspired by; as it is there is more of a colourful gradient on the aircraft than the original painting.

V/F
It is not for him to pride himself who loveth his own country, but rather for him who loveth the whole world. The earth is but one country, and mankind its citizens. —Bahá'u'lláh

RetroRoo
Topic Author

Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:46 pm

Bavd wrote:
So when you board there is a complementary didgeridoo and some hallucinogens? :praise:

Sorry?

Probably best not to go ridiculing and trivialising indigenous Australian culture. Not a good look.

VapourTrails

Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:12 am

It looks good in the photographs, but like the other indigenous liveries, and the Retro Roos, I have found they look a lot more striking for me when I actually see them for real. :profile: :point: I am sure this one will have the same effect. I really like the colours used and the blending. It is not too much either; not overdone and does not cover the whole aircraft, which I think is good. :twocents:

My favourite is still Mendoowoorrji though. :profile:

=

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos