NeBaNi
Topic Author

British Airways Cabin Crew Behaving Very Badly During Layovers

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:16 pm

I was a little surprised to read about these incidents after the Nigeria racism thing, but crew misbehavior seems to be causing BA some headache, as described here:
http://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2018/02/17/sources-british-airways-cabin-crew-behaving-badly-flight-attendants-done-now/#.Wos7aKgbM2w

The incidents of note:
In Johannesburg, a cabin crew member allegedly plucked an expensive Koi Karp from the hotel pond and threw it into a swimming pool where it died. Again, the incident was linked to drunkeness and of course, British Airways yet again had to fire the staff member involved.

And in Singapore, the airline has now apparently run out of chances with the hotel it once held a contract with. Sources tell us that hotel management were furious when a female crew member allegedly ran through the hotel’s lobby in just her underwear as part of a drunken challenge. There are even allegations the same crew member urinated in public.

[In Kenya, o]ff-duty flight attendants were said to have held a wild party around the hotel’s swimming pool – resulting in property being damaged and one member of cabin crew even breaking their arm. Hotel bosses were said to be so disgusted, they threatened to end the airline’s contract unless immediate action was taken.

I thought crew members were supposed to be company representatives and on their best behavior during layovers? I remember during the Dr. Dao/ United incident and during incidents of unruly pax behavior, some a.netters were calling for those pax to be fired from their jobs. Do a.netters feel the say way here? Mind you, in one of those incidents above, the crew member involved was fired by BA.

Also, just as in interesting note, these crew members seem to be with Mixed Fleet.

mercure1

Re: British Airways Cabin Crew Behaving Very Badly During Layovers

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:25 pm

Actually sounds pretty typical.

Know many stories of long haul crews with crazy parties in hotels, or getting them involved in all types of mischief such as setting a Christmas tree in their hotel on fire, to loss of a half dozen hotel bicycles when they were too drunk to remember where they left them during a day out, to daring each other to run down hotel hallway topless late at night.
mercure f-wtcc

cpd

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:27 pm

If they do that, they should be fired, simple as that. We wouldn't get away with this behaviour in our jobs, so they shouldn't either. It is disgraceful.

jfklganyc

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:28 pm

Kids on vacation.

Not everyone is a middle-aged professional. haha

All kidding aside, maybe a better screening process?
Last edited by jfklganyc on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jpetekyxmd80

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:30 pm

NeBaNi wrote:
I thought crew members were supposed to be company representatives and on their best behavior during layovers?.

lol
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

Elementalism

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:31 pm

Never understood people getting drunk\high and killing animals.

LHRFlyer

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:31 pm

Some of the stories are quite old. I think the JNB incident happened a long time ago.

There have always been incidents down route. It's just sometimes they don't get leaked to newspapers...

It also has to be said that, although it's a very small downward trend, today's younger generation in London are actually less likely to drink alcohol than previous generations.
Last edited by LHRFlyer on Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TOGA10

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:37 pm

As someone who lived in the U.K. for a while, I'm not very surprised. There is definitely a culture of heavy drinking there and not only among the younger generation. And as said above, it happens across all airlines, not just BA. Also, this is not related to the UA incident, that was on duty. This all seems to be off duty partying. Can't really blaim them for having fun, although I don't agree on the way they have fun.
Love flying, hate the alarm at 3 in the morning, love watching the sun rise at 5:30. It's all about compromises.

thegoldenargosy

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:48 pm

NeBaNi wrote:
I was a little surprised to read about these incidents after the Nigeria racism thing, but crew misbehavior seems to be causing BA some headache, as described here:
http://www.paddleyourownkanoo.com/2018/02/17/sources-british-airways-cabin-crew-behaving-badly-flight-attendants-done-now/#.Wos7aKgbM2w

The incidents of note:
In Johannesburg, a cabin crew member allegedly plucked an expensive Koi Karp from the hotel pond and threw it into a swimming pool where it died. Again, the incident was linked to drunkeness and of course, British Airways yet again had to fire the staff member involved.

And in Singapore, the airline has now apparently run out of chances with the hotel it once held a contract with. Sources tell us that hotel management were furious when a female crew member allegedly ran through the hotel’s lobby in just her underwear as part of a drunken challenge. There are even allegations the same crew member urinated in public.

[In Kenya, o]ff-duty flight attendants were said to have held a wild party around the hotel’s swimming pool – resulting in property being damaged and one member of cabin crew even breaking their arm. Hotel bosses were said to be so disgusted, they threatened to end the airline’s contract unless immediate action was taken.

I thought crew members were supposed to be company representatives and on their best behavior during layovers? I remember during the Dr. Dao/ United incident and during incidents of unruly pax behavior, some a.netters were calling for those pax to be fired from their jobs. Do a.netters feel the say way here? Mind you, in one of those incidents above, the crew member involved was fired by BA.

Also, just as in interesting note, these crew members seem to be with Mixed Fleet.

BA only hires flight attendants for Mixed Fleet now. These Mixed Fleet FAs are paid poverty wages so I'm not surprised they're acting out.

deebee278

Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:58 pm

Relations between a layover hotel and airline crews can be a bit of a love/hate thing. The hotel enjoys the constant source of revenue but don't appreciate the partying that may go on occasionally, not so much these days. They also don't appreciate the crewmember who comes into the lobby after a jog in a hot, humid city and sits on one of their nice sofas in the fancy lobby to read a newspaper.
Crewmembers, on the other hand don't like crew vans that are constantly late and wake up calls that are undependable.

Varsity1

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:03 pm

BA pays terrible. You get what you pay for.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

jeffrey1970

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:04 pm

Most people who work do something that is not professional at some point. Airline employees are no different. I am not defending them. I am just saying.
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

VS11

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:06 pm

Elementalism wrote:

Alcohol first affects judgment so the entire decision-making process becomes questionable after that.

Bongodog1964

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:08 pm

Who sold them the alcohol ? in all likelihood it was the hotels who then complained about the consequences. The behaviour described seems to be fairly typical of what goes on when a group of people stay at a hotel for work purposes. BA must have at least 1000 staff in hotels every night of the week, regrettable though these instances are, they will always happen, I'm sure their competitor airlines have similar incidents.

irelayer

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:23 pm

thegoldenargosy wrote:
NeBaNi wrote:

The incidents of note:

BA only hires flight attendants for Mixed Fleet now. These Mixed Fleet FAs are paid poverty wages so I'm not surprised they're acting out.

What the heck is "Mixed Fleet". Is it Iberia/BA mixed crews? Can someone fill me in?

stlgph

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:26 pm

Meh. Plenty of them have been through New York.

The hot tub at Le Bain sans many layers of clothes, throwing up on the street outside the Atlas Social Club, running around in their underwear at Sugarland, and let's just not even forget the part where toplessness is legal in New York City, plenty of antics at House of Yes, including a couple of small fires on the L train on the way out there, I could go on.
if assumptions could fly, airliners.net would be the world's busiest airport

Aesma

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:32 pm

cpd wrote:
If they do that, they should be fired, simple as that. We wouldn't get away with this behaviour in our jobs, so they shouldn't either. It is disgraceful.

How much are they getting paid during the layover ?
New Technology is the name we give to stuff that doesn't work yet. Douglas Adams

dcajet

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:09 pm

irelayer wrote:

What the heck is "Mixed Fleet". Is it Iberia/BA mixed crews? Can someone fill me in?

The search function is your friend.

viewtopic.php?t=1366951
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

SelseyBill

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:10 pm

Varsity1 wrote:

.......compared to who exactly ????

SelseyBill

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:19 pm

TOGA10 wrote:
As someone who lived in the U.K. for a while, I'm not very surprised. There is definitely a culture of heavy drinking there and not only among the younger generation.

.......thanks for that......Nothing like a good ole sweeping generalisation to inflame opinions.

If you could let me know which country you are posting from; I could probably come up with a stereotypical generalisation to insult you......

Galwayman

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:24 pm

Mixed fleet are trash , they couldn’t get jobs with Ryanair . BA are really scrapping the bottom of the barrel

PPVLC

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:27 pm

Low wages and its side-effects.
Cabin crew L188 707 727 737 767 A300 DC10 MD11 777 747

PPVLC

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:29 pm

SelseyBill wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

Compared to any job in Britain. One can make more money working for Pizza Express in London.
Cabin crew L188 707 727 737 767 A300 DC10 MD11 777 747

alan3

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:34 pm

FA pay is extremely low. Send them to a fancy hotel with a pier diem at company expense, combined with being very young, and unfortunately sometimes that's what you get.

On the other hand, given how many FA's there are flying every day, not sure a few incidents should be made into a bigger story.

lightsaber

Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:17 am

alan3 wrote:
FA pay is extremely low. Send them to a fancy hotel with a pier diem at company expense, combined with being very young, and unfortunately sometimes that's what you get.

On the other hand, given how many FA's there are flying every day, not sure a few incidents should be made into a bigger story.

If I was paid that low, I'd have to drink. We just had a global decade with job transfer to Asia. That means poor wages which means little reason not to have fun.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

JayBCNLON

Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:33 am

With a home country where 80% of the „culture“ is made up of soccer, the Royals and drinking what do you expect?

AtomicGarden

Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:36 am

Elementalism wrote:

I've gotten drunk and/or high several times and have never hurt an animal, or a person either.

Bongodog1964 wrote:
Who sold them the alcohol ? in all likelihood it was the hotels who then complained about the consequences. The behaviour described seems to be fairly typical of what goes on when a group of people stay at a hotel for work purposes. BA must have at least 1000 staff in hotels every night of the week, regrettable though these instances are, they will always happen, I'm sure their competitor airlines have similar incidents.

So a bar is responsible or loses the right to complain when someone who got drunk there starts destroying expensive propoerty? let's just ban alcohol and be done with it, no?
You killed a black astronaut, Cyril! That's like killing a unicorn!

m007j

Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:50 am

Some of the more most fun nights I've had in DC/NYC have been around some pretty women who had just arrived from the UK and were going back the next day, so there's my thoughts on that....Anyhow, as in every job, you want to let loose a little outside of work. It doesn't sound like they were publicizing the fact they were working for BA, it's just that they got in enough trouble doing so the employer had to get involved. Ordinarily this should be no problem, but when it's your company picking up the tab, you ought to be a bit more careful. Maybe they ought to consider just moving the parties to a different hotel? :duck:

IPFreely

Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:03 am

NeBaNi wrote:
I
There are even allegations the same crew member urinated in public.

While nobody can condone the Johannesburg incident, this hardly seems news-worthy.

cpd

Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:24 am

Aesma wrote:
cpd wrote:

But if they are in a paid for by the company hotel, then they still have to behave responsibly. They should anyway.

thegoldenargosy wrote:
if you are in a hotel that is paid for by the company, then that kind of behaviour isn't on.

I'm not so sure that is part of the problem. There are well paid young workers in other industries (white collar jobs) who have been known to be involved in very hard partying and indecent behaviour.

Varsity1

Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:37 am

The typical British Airways Mixed Fleet Cabin Crew salary is £14,276. Mixed Fleet Cabin Crew salaries at British Airways can range from £12,000 - £21,000.

Who do you think they are going to attract with salaries like that??
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

BawliBooch

Tue Feb 20, 2018 2:05 am

Baaah! Too much much-much over nothing!

No one can match Indian/Pakistani crew when it comes to bad behavior on layovers. NO ONE!

Your people need to go through 5 years of South Asian a*hole school to even begin to come close.
Mr.Kapoor's favorite poodle!

Jouhou

Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:45 am

Well, someone let me know if they catch Cathay crew acting like this. I do think nationality does play a role.
情報

StTim

Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:52 am

JayBCNLON wrote:
With a home country where 80% of the „culture“ is made up of soccer, the Royals and drinking what do you expect?

And you know that how?

[email protected]

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:00 am

Varsity1 wrote:
The typical British Airways Mixed Fleet Cabin Crew salary is £14,276. Mixed Fleet Cabin Crew salaries at British Airways can range from £12,000 - £21,000.

Who do you think they are going to attract with salaries like that??

If you don't like the wages, why would you sign up to it?
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

jsfr

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:03 am

Having workied extensively in airport hotels... this really is much ado about nothing.

Yes, crews get up to relatively good humoured mischief at times, but other industries (staying on their companies money) are much much worse. Pharmaceutical company reps, awful, Bakers (and their secretaries), worse, oil platform workers - worst of all... (and often paying the most).

Within the crews - yes indeed it is cultural and BA/QF/EK are middle of the road party animals. Latin American airlines by far the worst for drinking together with Cargo crews, occaisionally results in calls from hotel to Station manager - not to complain, just to ensure the safety of a flight, but serious incidents such as those listed above are very rare in the scheme of the tens of thousands of hotel rooms being occupied every night around the world.

Actually he worst crews without a doubt are (surprisingly) Singapore and Malaysian. Bunch of self-important, prissy prima-donnas who tend to treat our people like slaves with more rudeness than they would accept from passengers and then leave their rooms intact but very messy (the trash cans exist for a reason)...

The best - Austrian/Eurowings, absolutely charming, friendly and quiet. Plus they sometimes used to brig us the in-flight chocolates (definitely the best way to guarantee a big quiet room)!!!

anstar

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:12 am

Aesma wrote:
cpd wrote:

Something like 3 pound an hour I believe.

TOGA10

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:34 am

SelseyBill wrote:
TOGA10 wrote:
As someone who lived in the U.K. for a while, I'm not very surprised. There is definitely a culture of heavy drinking there and not only among the younger generation.

.......thanks for that......Nothing like a good ole sweeping generalisation to inflame opinions.

If you could let me know which country you are posting from; I could probably come up with a stereotypical generalisation to insult you......

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to insult anyone, just stating my personal experience. Of course heavy drinking occurs in other countries, but I've been in quite a few places and it strikes me that the British don't have the best image when it comes to alcohol. I'm happy to be corrected.
Not trying to generalise. And I'm posting this from Austria as we speak, but please keep this thread on topic.
As above, not unusual for crew to have some fun.
Love flying, hate the alarm at 3 in the morning, love watching the sun rise at 5:30. It's all about compromises.

Sula123

Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:52 am

I totally see how this is related to the erosion of standards brought about by the introduction of Mixed Fleet. What set BA apart in the past was experienced, mature and professional crew and that only comes when you’ve been in the job 15+ years. Remember when you could have a grown up conversation with the crew? Those days are gone, and I miss them, because the mixed fleet crews tend to be in their early twenties with little experience of the world, little inclination to discuss politics, etc. And I don’t blame them because you need to be a certain age to be mature enough. I blame BA for this erosion.
Coming back to the hotel topic, you used to have situations where a crew was a mixture of levels of experience and age so probable only a portion of the crew will have tended to want to party hard- now it’s everyone and those youngsters have no one on their rotations to learn the ropes from in those few years they spend in the job and before being driven out by the low pay - driven to leave before they can realise their potential.

shankly

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:18 am

Glad I grew up in a world without phone cams

What happens on tour, stays on tour
L1011 - P F M

Bongodog1964

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:26 am

Sula123 wrote:
I totally see how this is related to the erosion of standards brought about by the introduction of Mixed Fleet. What set BA apart in the past was experienced, mature and professional crew and that only comes when you’ve been in the job 15+ years. Remember when you could have a grown up conversation with the crew? Those days are gone, and I miss them, because the mixed fleet crews tend to be in their early twenties with little experience of the world, little inclination to discuss politics, etc. And I don’t blame them because you need to be a certain age to be mature enough. I blame BA for this erosion.
Coming back to the hotel topic, you used to have situations where a crew was a mixture of levels of experience and age so probable only a portion of the crew will have tended to want to party hard- now it’s everyone and those youngsters have no one on their rotations to learn the ropes from in those few years they spend in the job and before being driven out by the low pay - driven to leave before they can realise their potential.

Don't know where this perception comes from that all the mixed fleet crews are exceedingly young, quite a number appear to be rather mature in age to say the least. One who I knew just decided with the kids off her hands and the mortgage paid, to spend a few years seeing the World. The wages whilst not brilliant were better than the admin job she had been doing previously.

richcandy

Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:28 am

TOGA10 wrote:
SelseyBill wrote:
TOGA10 wrote:

I'm sorry, I wasn't trying to insult anyone, just stating my personal experience. Of course heavy drinking occurs in other countries, but I've been in quite a few places and it strikes me that the British don't have the best image when it comes to alcohol. I'm happy to be corrected.
Not trying to generalise. And I'm posting this from Austria as we speak, but please keep this thread on topic.
As above, not unusual for crew to have some fun.

I think its changing. When I was 17-18 years old kids my age loved to drink. Having a few beers was seen as the thing to do.

Now (30 years later) I know a lot of 20 year olds who don't drink alcohol at all. If you didn't drink alcohol it used to be seen as strange. Not any more. The biggest drinkers tend to be the 45-60 year olds who drink at home.

Whats happened..well young people particularly guys seem more interested in what their body looks like than ever before. If you want to buy an apartment of house you need lots of cash and alcohol is a luxury. More people than every want to go to university so maybe don't have as much free time at the ages of 17-18 than previous generations.

Of course this is a generalisation.

Alex

Ty134A

Tue Feb 20, 2018 10:00 am

I like all things that involve sudden, unpredictable female nudity, also on stop overs. If sudden nudity occurs to a male, I just don't look.

Seems fine for me, although my thoughts go out to the family of the koi carp.
flown on: TU3,TU5,T20,IL8,IL6,ILW,IL9,I14,YK4,YK2,AN2,AN4,A26,A28,A38,A40,A81,SU9,L4T,L11,D1C,M11,M80,M87,
AB4,AB6,318,313,342,343,345,346,712,703,722,732,735,741,742,743,74L,744,752,753,763,772,77W,J31,F50,F70,100,ATP,
142,143,AR8,AR1,SF3,S20,D38,MIH...

zkojq

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:22 am

SelseyBill wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

When do you ever hear about Lufthansa Cabin Crew behaving out of line?
First to fly the 787-9

Lentini2001

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:43 am

jfklganyc wrote:
All kidding aside, maybe a better screening process?

Erm..

'Are you likely to get drunk and get your breasts out if dared by your colleague?'

'No'

'Great; jobs yours, welcome aboard'

jfklganyc

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:51 am

dcajet wrote:
irelayer wrote:

The search function is your friend.

viewtopic.php?t=1366951

Maybe, you could just answer his question.

Especially since that thread poses the same question, and is replied to in the same manner as your answer in this thread.

We are a community; act like it.

StTim

Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:59 am

BA used to have separate long haul and short haul crews. The mixed fleet can operate on short or long haul. It brings added flexibility. As all new contracts they also reduced rates - which I think affected long haul more as that used to be better paid than short haul.

theaviator380

Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:11 pm

BawliBooch wrote:
Baaah! Too much much-much over nothing!

No one can match Indian/Pakistani crew when it comes to bad behavior on layovers. NO ONE!

Your people need to go through 5 years of South Asian a*hole school to even begin to come close.

Any incidence to share? or you just generalizing?

Thanks.

Phen

Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:19 pm

Lentini2001 wrote:
Erm..

'Are you likely to get drunk and get your breasts out if dared by your colleague?'

'No'

'Great; jobs yours, welcome aboard'

:rotfl:

I've heard stories of misbehaviour (perhaps not to the extent above) from crew in my own airline, but it usually doesn't make the papers. I think nowadays with cabin crew with almost every airline being paid a lot less than a couple of decades ago, the job attracts younger people and perhaps people who simply wouldn't have gotten the job 20 years ago. There's not much the airlines can do except to set an example by using harsh disciplinary procedures on return home. This might make others think twice before they start causing trouble...

longhauler

Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:31 pm

shankly wrote:
Glad I grew up in a world without phone cams

Hear Hear.

While layovers in my youth were during an entirely different era, I am ever thankful than no one was so camera equipped as they are today.

Where I fly, we are reminded than when on layover, we are still representing the company and in effect, still working. We are expected to act accordingly. Anything like what is described above and the employee is fired. No recourse.

I don't have a problem with that. All employees of large corporations, aviation related or otherwise, are always in the public eye. And when that public eye demands respect and trust, this does not go over well.
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos