User avatar
KarelXWB
Moderator
Posts: 26968
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:13 pm

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:04 pm

Polot wrote:
WIederling wrote:
Renderings are a fantasy. They may have a relation to the future but they need not.
Expectations beyond are Cargo Cult.

Technically you can say the same thing about any order as well.


Orders are not a fantasy. Airlines pay deposits and have payment obligations. That's real money.
What we leave behind is not as important as how we've lived.
 
Planesmart
Posts: 2891
Joined: Sun Dec 05, 2004 3:18 am

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:27 pm

Polot wrote:
[Airline go after whoever they can for compensation. Yes it is PW’s fault but HA will still go after Airbus for compensation (after all, it is an Airbus A321neo, not a Pratt & Whitney A321neo). Airbus, of course, will also go after PW for compensation to minimize the impact on them from PW’s shortcomings.

Yes, airline, will go after whoever they can with a reasonable expectation of success at lowest cost.

But, if an airline has negotiated the engine purchase separately to the air frame, they may find the reverse applies. The air frame manufacturer has a counter claim on them for late delivery of the engines, and it is the airline seeking compensation from the engine OEM, not air frame OEM.
 
cledaybuck
Posts: 1581
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2016 6:07 pm

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:33 pm

Revelation wrote:
c933103 wrote:
If the source is from US, then unless the source is directly related to the airlines, even if HA are indeed going to order 787, how do they tell whether HA changed their 33N order or not? Would it be that people in Boeing are almost successful in selling those 787 and assumed it would displace the 33N order when HA won't necessarily take only one of those orders?

Some possible ways to explain it:
a) Source is at Boeing and HA told Boeing that they have the right to change the A338 order
b) Source is at Airbus North America and HA is a part of their turf
c) Hamilton is dissembling with regard to the location of his source.
The infamous source could also be at HA.
As we celebrate mediocrity, all the boys upstairs want to see, how much you'll pay for what you used to get for free.
 
User avatar
PW100
Posts: 3929
Joined: Mon Jan 28, 2002 9:17 pm

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:54 pm

Revelation wrote:
c933103 wrote:
If the source is from US, then unless the source is directly related to the airlines, even if HA are indeed going to order 787, how do they tell whether HA changed their 33N order or not? Would it be that people in Boeing are almost successful in selling those 787 and assumed it would displace the 33N order when HA won't necessarily take only one of those orders?

Some possible ways to explain it:
a) Source is at Boeing and HA told Boeing that they have the right to change the A338 order
b) Source is at Airbus North America and HA is a part of their turf
c) Hamilton is dissembling with regard to the location of his source.


d) Source is at HA as they try to get a better deal from Airbus (compensation package, better conversion opportunities or perhaps better engine deal)

I think c) is unlikrely, and that either Scott is on to something, or he is being played.
Immigration officer: "What's the purpose of your visit to the USA?" Spotter: "Shooting airliners with my Canon!"
 
User avatar
Stitch
Posts: 26511
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:26 am

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:01 pm

The leak is almost assuredly at HA based on the information said to have been leaked.

I don't see Boeing leaking that they (presumably) sold HA 787s at well below the current Average Sales Price. And even if part of that (presumed) deal required HA to cancel their A330-800 order with Airbus - something I am not sure Boeing could legally impose, much less enforce, to be honest - I do not think they would want to leak that, either, as it would put HA into the position of having to deny it until it's official.
 
azjubilee
Posts: 3708
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2000 5:26 am

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:32 pm

Stitch wrote:
The leak is almost assuredly at HA based on the information said to have been leaked.

I don't see Boeing leaking that they (presumably) sold HA 787s at well below the current Average Sales Price. And even if part of that (presumed) deal required HA to cancel their A330-800 order with Airbus - something I am not sure Boeing could legally impose, much less enforce, to be honest - I do not think they would want to leak that, either, as it would put HA into the position of having to deny it until it's official.


I highly doubt the leak came from HAL. The Leeham leak caused such commotion in the media, it forced HA to announce internally and then externally that there is no deal to announce yet, essentially denying the leaks. Add to this yesterday's blunder by Boeing, it appears the other parties involved have loose lips, are having a hard time containing themselves and playing on HA's timeline for announcement. The only facts to the matter that are public and official are that HA has been shopping both Boeing and Airbus, with well informed people being able to add the evidence up and come to thoughtful conclusions on what HA has chosen. Everything else is conjecture and assumption which includes purchase pricing, development costs, cancelation of the 338, deposits, order count etc... which have derailed the thread.
 
WIederling
Posts: 8887
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:00 pm

Stitch wrote:
The leak is almost assuredly at HA based on the information said to have been leaked.

I don't see Boeing leaking that they (presumably) sold HA 787s at well below the current Average Sales Price. And even if part of that (presumed) deal required HA to cancel their A330-800 order with Airbus - something I am not sure Boeing could legally impose, much less enforce, to be honest - I do not think they would want to leak that, either, as it would put HA into the position of having to deny it until it's official.


The Emirates 7810 deal was leaked via SajAhmad. ( again exposed as a Boeing tool )
That again would indicate that the musical chairs thing at DAS was a planned ahead (by Boeing) thing.

Then again Boeing lives in a culture that finds endless comfort in "forcing the orange walk".
Murphy is an optimist
 
User avatar
Stitch
Posts: 26511
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:26 am

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:21 pm

WIederling wrote:
The Emirates 7810 deal was leaked via SajAhmad. ( again exposed as a Boeing tool ) That again would indicate that the musical chairs thing at DAS was a planned ahead (by Boeing) thing.


The 787-10 had been rumored at Emirates since the day after the 787 program was launched and almost a decade before the model actually existed. Heck, when Flight Global mentioned the potential of a 787-10X in 2005, they specifically put it in Emirates colors even as the accompanying 787-8 and 787-9 were in Boeing's house colors.
 
User avatar
NeBaNi
Posts: 453
Joined: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:45 am

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:41 am

Revelation wrote:
KarelXWB wrote:
Slow down guys, you are entering conspiracy theory territory. Besides, Leeham claims its source is located in the US and not TLS. I doubt Airbus will respond if HA orders some 787s, there is nothing much to control once the deal is signed.

Personally I'm OK with deeper speculation, as long as it's stated it's speculation or it's clear from context that it's speculation.

Looking more than surface deep is the way of the world these days, and I feel like I'm behind the curve.

I find it interesting to see the view from further up the curve.

The world of "just the facts, maam" is long gone, IMHO.

And in this case the geographical source of Hamilton's leak was not known till after the speculation was made.

The problem with baseless deeper speculation, especially now that Leeham has clarified the source, is that months, or even years later, this will come up in a somewhat unrelated topic as an A.net truth. Someone will inevitably sneak in a comment like, "Oh, just like Airbus leaked to Leeham in the Hawaiian Airlines case", and it will snowball from there. People have faulty memories and seem to remember the most salacious parts of the discussions later on, whether those parts be right or wrong.
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 14142
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:55 am

Stitch wrote:
And even if part of that (presumed) deal required HA to cancel their A330-800 order with Airbus - something I am not sure Boeing could legally impose, much less enforce, to be honest - I do not think they would want to leak that, either, as it would put HA into the position of having to deny it until it's official.


Boeing have done similar before with the SQ deal, they made sure the A310s and A343s were taken out with the deal.

http://www.nytimes.com/1999/07/01/busin ... sales.html
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
User avatar
Stitch
Posts: 26511
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 4:26 am

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:24 am

zeke wrote:
Boeing have done similar before with the SQ deal, they made sure the A310s and A343s were taken out with the deal.


In that transaction Boeing purchased already-delivered planes. And they did not require SQ to cancel their A340-500 order nor compel them to buy the 777-100 instead (which SQ had been looking at for ULR operations).

I'm sure there are past deals where Airbus or Boeing agreed to help cover the cancellation costs if a customer switched OEMs with undelivered orders on the books, but I don't believe either OEM can legally compel (via contract) an airline to cancel orders with the other OEM in order to place an order with them. The EU demanded Boeing rescind their exclusivity contracts with AA, DL and UA to approve the merger with McD so I am sure they would take action on Airbus' behalf if Boeing tried such a tactic and the current protectionist bent of the US government would almost certainly back a Boeing complaint if Airbus tried it.
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 14142
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:00 am

Stitch wrote:

In that transaction Boeing purchased already-delivered planes. And they did not require SQ to cancel their A340-500 order nor compel them to buy the 777-100 instead (which SQ had been looking at for ULR operations).


I seem to recall Boeing taking on 343 that also never entered service with SQ. The 777-100 was a shrink of the -200 that Boeing was pitching to replace the 310, it was too heavy and uneconomical even back then. The 777-200X (which became the 77L) was pitched but lost out to the A340-500.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
User avatar
neutrino
Posts: 1536
Joined: Thu May 10, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:52 am

Stitch wrote:
WIederling wrote:
The Emirates 7810 deal was leaked via SajAhmad. ( again exposed as a Boeing tool ) That again would indicate that the musical chairs thing at DAS was a planned ahead (by Boeing) thing.


The 787-10 had been rumored at Emirates since the day after the 787 program was launched and almost a decade before the model actually existed. Heck, when Flight Global mentioned the potential of a 787-10X in 2005, they specifically put it in Emirates colors even as the accompanying 787-8 and 787-9 were in Boeing's house colors.

Why let actual facts get in the way of those who "lives in a culture that finds endless comfort in" alternate facts that suit their twisted onerous agenda.
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis
 
User avatar
N14AZ
Posts: 3872
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:19 pm

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:56 am

zeke wrote:
Stitch wrote:

In that transaction Boeing purchased already-delivered planes. And they did not require SQ to cancel their A340-500 order nor compel them to buy the 777-100 instead (which SQ had been looking at for ULR operations).


I seem to recall Boeing taking on 343 that also never entered service with SQ.

Interesting question. I always thought that all 17 (!!!) A340s bought by Boeing had already been delivered to SQ before being sold to Boeing.

But when making a brief internet search I found this piece of information:

The deal echoes a move by Boeing to buy A340s from Singapore Airlines in the mid-1990s including some still in assembly. Back then, the aim was to support a blockbuster sale of 777s. When delivery came there was a brief spat over whether Airbus would support the A340s, according to people familiar with the deal.

Source: https://www.reuters.com/article/china-b ... CQ20120430

I am quit sure that the A340s still in assembly at the time when the Boeing-SQ-deal was made were delivered to SQ first and then handed over to Boeing. We could check each and every MSN of the 17 A340sin question but right now I don't have the time to do so...

At least one of Boeing's A340s (strange feeling to write something like this) was stored in HAM:
Image
 
WIederling
Posts: 8887
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:18 am

neutrino wrote:
Potestatem obscuri lateris nescitis


ab intus murmure blanditiae. ( Hope I got that right, my Latin is so very rusty. )
A culture so wrapped up in their alternate facts narrative.
Murphy is an optimist
 
mjoelnir
Posts: 8937
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:00 am

Stitch wrote:
zeke wrote:
Boeing have done similar before with the SQ deal, they made sure the A310s and A343s were taken out with the deal.


In that transaction Boeing purchased already-delivered planes. And they did not require SQ to cancel their A340-500 order nor compel them to buy the 777-100 instead (which SQ had been looking at for ULR operations).

I'm sure there are past deals where Airbus or Boeing agreed to help cover the cancellation costs if a customer switched OEMs with undelivered orders on the books, but I don't believe either OEM can legally compel (via contract) an airline to cancel orders with the other OEM in order to place an order with them. The EU demanded Boeing rescind their exclusivity contracts with AA, DL and UA to approve the merger with McD so I am sure they would take action on Airbus' behalf if Boeing tried such a tactic and the current protectionist bent of the US government would almost certainly back a Boeing complaint if Airbus tried it.


When corporation do contracts with each other a lot of possibilities exist. Hawaiian making a contract with Boeing, buying the 787 and Boeing paying the cancellation cost at Airbus for the A330-800 is completely in the realm of possibilities, nothing forced about it.

Why should Boeing do it, with the 787 selling well to willing airlines? My only explanation is that Boeing is afraid that once the A330-800 is operating at one airline, others would follow. UA at least seems to consider buying the A330-800, perhaps other airlines are considering it too and Airbus had good reasons to build the A330-800 and certify it.

The SQ Boeing A340 deal shows to what length Boeing is prepared to go to keep competing frames from desirable customers.

This Hawaiian deal seems to have gone wrong. IMO Boeing did the whispering, had the rendering ready and something went wrong.
 
WIederling
Posts: 8887
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Fri Mar 02, 2018 10:58 am

Stitch wrote:
WIederling wrote:
The Emirates 7810 deal was leaked via SajAhmad. ( again exposed as a Boeing tool ) That again would indicate that the musical chairs thing at DAS was a planned ahead (by Boeing) thing.


The 787-10 had been rumored at Emirates since the day after the 787 program was launched and almost a decade before the model actually existed. Heck, when Flight Global mentioned the potential of a 787-10X in 2005, they specifically put it in Emirates colors even as the accompanying 787-8 and 787-9 were in Boeing's house colors.


Everybody talks all the time about selling most every kind of plane. this is not the topic.
Topic is the "cloaked" announcement of what would happen at DAS via one Saj Ahmad.
And also note the way the announcement used an Airbus assigned slot ...
Murphy is an optimist
 
RB211trent
Posts: 145
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 11:35 am

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Fri Mar 02, 2018 11:18 am

Hawaiian have definetly cancelled their A330neo order
 
mjoelnir
Posts: 8937
Joined: Sun Feb 03, 2013 11:06 pm

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Fri Mar 02, 2018 12:37 pm

RB211trent wrote:
Hawaiian have definetly cancelled their A330neo order


Any corroboration? Statement from Airbus? Statement from Hawaiian?

On the 13.02.2018 there is a SEC filling 10-K Annual report with a comprehensive overview of the company from Hawaiian

HA-20180213-10K-20171231.pdf

on page 19 (pdf 24) there is stated what frames are currently on order with deliveries in 2018 to 2021. 6 A330-800 and 14 A321neo.

I do not find any filing or press release or other statement that Hawaiian canceled the A330-800 on their site.
 
Bricktop
Posts: 1389
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:04 am

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Fri Mar 02, 2018 1:09 pm

mjoelnir wrote:
My only explanation is that Boeing is afraid that once the A330-800 is operating at one airline, others would follow. UA at least seems to consider buying the A330-800, perhaps other airlines are considering it too and Airbus had good reasons to build the A330-800 and certify it.

Of course that's your only explanation. Well luckily for Boeing they only have to play Whack-A-Mole with HA given your assumption, given the not-exactly-barnburning sales of the A338. I doubt they will jump at a slideshow from UA showing every possible option that they could use to fill the little box. Yes, "Perhaps" other airlines are "considering" it too. Well, when they step up with the orders that no other airlines have to date, we can stop guessing.

Maybe HA said they had been mucked about enough by Airbus, and dropped a dime to the 206? That's one of MANY explanations I can come up with.
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 9526
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:13 pm

Dropped a dime to the 206? Lol. I’m getting old.
-Dave


MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.
 
User avatar
N328KF
Topic Author
Posts: 5946
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 3:50 am

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Fri Mar 02, 2018 5:05 pm

PlanesNTrains wrote:
Dropped a dime to the 206? Lol. I’m getting old.


"Dropped a dime" is a reference to using a payphone to place a phone call. That's something young people won't get. When's the last time they saw payphone, let alone one that only charged a dime? "206" is one of the area codes for the Puget Sound area.
“In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.”
-Donny Miller
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 14142
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:06 pm

N328KF wrote:
If this cryptic Leeham News tweet by Scott Hamilton is to believed, Hawaiian Airlines has decided to take the 787-9 over the A330-800.

Image
https://twitter.com/LeehamNews/status/9 ... 5086241793


Is it time for this thread to close. Some time has passed since Feb 20 when this tweet was made. No change has been announced by the manufacturers or the airline in the following couple of weeks.

The airline has come out and said the exact opposite last week, the A330-800 order is confirmed.

The original single source has changed their story to say the order has not been actually been cancelled.

Time to close this ?
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
azjubilee
Posts: 3708
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2000 5:26 am

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:22 pm

zeke wrote:
Is it time for this thread to close. Some time has passed since Feb 20 when this tweet was made. No change has been announced by the manufacturers or the airline in the following couple of weeks.

The airline has come out and said the exact opposite last week, the A330-800 order is confirmed.

The original single source has changed their story to say the order has not been actually been cancelled.

Time to close this ?


This story is most definitely not over. There are a few people around here who are quite "warm" on their theories and predictions. Others are "cold" and over complicating the matter. It's quite fun to sit back and watch, honestly. When HA is ready to announce, they will.
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 14142
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:34 pm

azjubilee wrote:

This story is most definitely not over.


How is is not over ? The source has changed their story, there is no “A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian?”

Everything else is just off topic speculation
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
c933103
Posts: 3888
Joined: Wed May 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:43 pm

zeke wrote:
azjubilee wrote:

This story is most definitely not over.


How is is not over ? The source has changed their story, there is no “A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian?”

Everything else is just off topic speculation

The altered source doubled down on it
Peace cannot counter violence when violence are being used by the powerful without mercy. #HongKong
But there is one possible exception. That is if the world could come together and make those who use violence lose their power. #China
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 9706
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:44 pm

zeke wrote:
azjubilee wrote:

This story is most definitely not over.


How is is not over ? The source has changed their story, there is no “A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian?”

Everything else is just off topic speculation

Scott Hamilton has just gone from saying HA HAS cancelled the A338/ordered the 789, to HA WILL cancel the A338/order the 789. All he has done is shifted from past to future tense, he is not changing his tune in regards to HA’s actions.
 
User avatar
Momo1435
Posts: 1009
Joined: Sat Aug 25, 2012 2:33 pm

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:55 pm

This is literally how Leeham changed his story:

"I’ll concede I should have written that Hawaiian is “to” cancel the order (future tense), not that it “cancels” (present tense)."


But it's indeed all speculation from anyone's side right now in this discussion. There's something brewing, but we simply don't know how this will end until anything is officially announced by any of the companies involved (or not announced if the order isn't changed after all). Pretty much every possible scenario has already been mentioned in this thread, without new info this discussion can only continue in circles, only coming back to the same arguments over and over again.

It's not like that this kind of deals are always announced straight away after it's leaked. for example the Emirates 787-10 was only announced about 3 years after Saj Ahmad broke it for the first time.
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 14142
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:00 pm

And the airline has come out to say the order has not been cancelled.

Everything else is just off topic speculation and the topic should be closed.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 9706
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:03 pm

zeke wrote:
And the airline has come out to say the order has not been cancelled.

Everything else is just off topic speculation and the topic should be closed.

Because the order hasn’t been cancelled. That doesn’t mean we can’t talk about whether Leeham was right and whether HA will cancel the A338, and/or whether HA will order the 789. The title has a question mark at the end for a reason. If you don’t like the subject of the thread don’t read it.
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 21905
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:04 pm

Momo1435 wrote:
This is literally how Leeham changed his story:

"I’ll concede I should have written that Hawaiian is “to” cancel the order (future tense), not that it “cancels” (present tense)."

But it's indeed all speculation from anyone's side right now in this discussion. There's something brewing, but we simply don't know how this will end until anything is officially announced by any of the companies involved (or not announced if the order isn't changed after all). Pretty much every possible scenario has already been mentioned in this thread, without new info this discussion can only continue in circles, only coming back to the same arguments over and over again.

It's not like that this kind of deals are always announced straight away after it's leaked. for example the Emirates 787-10 was only announced about 3 years after Saj Ahmad broke it for the first time.

The story, whether it's just smoke or if it's fire, is already in the aviation media, so whomever is the "loser" in this will have to issue an official or unofficial statement to "save face".

Sorry, folks, but there's more to the way the aviation industry communicates than just filing reports with the financial regulators.

If that's your standard then chances are you'll find all the info you need on the financial media sites.
Last edited by Revelation on Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own
 
PlanesNTrains
Posts: 9526
Joined: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:19 pm

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:30 pm

N328KF wrote:
PlanesNTrains wrote:
Dropped a dime to the 206? Lol. I’m getting old.


"Dropped a dime" is a reference to using a payphone to place a phone call. That's something young people won't get. When's the last time they saw payphone, let alone one that only charged a dime? "206" is one of the area codes for the Puget Sound area.


Oh I got the references, but assumed it was some sort of new lingo. Someone recently told me they're just being "100" with me. I'm like huh? lol I'm just trying to keep up.
-Dave


MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.
 
User avatar
zeke
Posts: 14142
Joined: Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:42 pm

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:05 pm

Polot wrote:
Because the order hasn’t been cancelled. That doesn’t mean we can’t talk about whether Leeham was right and whether HA will cancel the A338, and/or whether HA will order the 789. The title has a question mark at the end for a reason. If you don’t like the subject of the thread don’t read it.


It is not just the thread to title, the OP as well. The source has changed their statement, and the airline has confirmed the A330-800 is not out.

If you don’t want to stick to the topic maybe you should not be on this forum !!
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News
 
cuban8
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:17 pm

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:19 pm

The most isteresting development regarding this topic is that HA has been allocated 2 production slots according to KarelXWB in the A330neo production/delivery thread. Does that confirm the order, or is it still possible that HA would cancel at this stage?
When business goes to hell, you get rid of three things. Your private jet, your yacht and your mistress..........and most importantly in that order.
~ Russian Billionaire ~
 
Geoff1947
Posts: 571
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:28 pm

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:47 pm

cuban8 wrote:
The most isteresting development regarding this topic is that HA has been allocated 2 production slots according to KarelXWB in the A330neo production/delivery thread. Does that confirm the order, or is it still possible that HA would cancel at this stage?


Afraid this just proves that HA has not cancelled. Plenty of cancellations occur after the MSNs have been assigned.

Geoff
 
bd777
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:03 pm

Hawaiian officially orders 10 B787-9 aircraft

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:10 pm

Just announced via Hawaiian Airlines Twitter:

https://twitter.com/HawaiianAir/status/ ... 2437377026
 
magga1
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:30 pm

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:10 pm

 
User avatar
N328KF
Topic Author
Posts: 5946
Joined: Tue May 25, 2004 3:50 am

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:10 pm

Hawaiian just made the announcement: 10 orders, 10 options.

https://twitter.com/HawaiianAir/status/ ... 2437377026
“In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.”
-Donny Miller
 
HALFA
Posts: 1068
Joined: Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:24 am

It's Official, Hawaiian Chooses The 787-9's

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:10 pm

Hawaiian Airlines has just announced it will be purchasing 10 787-900's with options for 10 more, to be delivered in the 1st quarter of 2021.
I can't wait to work on those planes!
More here:
https://newsroom.hawaiianairlines.com/r ... ines-fleet
Last edited by HALFA on Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawaiian Airlines Since 1929...........
 
HNLPointShoot
Posts: 237
Joined: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:32 pm

Re: Hawaiian officially orders 10 B787-9 aircraft

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:13 pm

HA press release:

https://newsroom.hawaiianairlines.com/r ... ines-fleet

Hawaiian Airlines has executed a non-binding Letter of Intent (LOI) for the purchase of 10 Boeing 787-9 aircraft with purchase rights for an additional 10 aircraft, the airline announced today. The first fuel-efficient, lightweight, passenger-friendly “Dreamliner” is scheduled to arrive in the first quarter of 2021. Hawaiian has selected the General Electric GEnx engine to power the additions to its fleet.


They're silent about the A338s for now, but they mention having considered the A339. Does this mean they'll be flying both the 789 and A338?
 
fun2fly
Posts: 1505
Joined: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:44 am

Re: It's Official, Hawaiian Chooses The 787-900

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:13 pm

Best looking 787 Hands Down!
 
jbs2886
Posts: 2182
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Re: It's Official, Hawaiian Chooses The 787-900

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:14 pm

Great! As a point of order, its 787-9s (not -900s, although even AA and others identify them as -900s).
 
zrh177
Posts: 22
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:32 am

Re: It's Official, Hawaiian Chooses The 787-900

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:16 pm

jbs2886 wrote:
Great! As a point of order, its 787-9s (not -900s, although even AA and others identify them as -900s).


I second this motion
 
jfk777
Posts: 7125
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:23 am

Re: Hawaiian officially orders 10 B787-9 aircraft

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:16 pm

SO will it be Heathrow or Gatwick ? HA flies all over the Pacific region with their A330-200, the only reason to buy a 787-9 is to fly to Europe.
 
User avatar
LAXintl
Posts: 23966
Joined: Wed May 24, 2000 12:12 pm

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:16 pm

Company announcement

https://newsroom.hawaiianairlines.com/r ... ines-fleet

10+10 options 787-9
Delivery starts 2021


Congrats Boeing!
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California
 
jbs2886
Posts: 2182
Joined: Wed Apr 01, 2015 9:07 pm

Re: Hawaiian officially orders 10 B787-9 aircraft

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:19 pm

Two threads on this; posted in the other. But the first doesn't arrive until 2021. And, as HNLPointShoot notes, no mention of the A338s. I anticipate HA will probably want some widebodies prior to 2021 so maybe they will take A338s, lease 789s, or perhaps just focus on the A321neo.
 
PixelPilot
Posts: 256
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:19 am

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:20 pm

Nice one.
I really hope they start flying to Eu.
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 9706
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Hawaiian officially orders 10 B787-9 aircraft

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:23 pm

Interesting that they selected the GEs when the A330s (and A338s) have/will have RR.
 
User avatar
Revelation
Posts: 21905
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2005 9:37 pm

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:23 pm

magga1 wrote:
Boeing announce Hawaiian 787 order

N328KF wrote:
Hawaiian just made the announcement: 10 orders, 10 options.

LAXintl wrote:
10+10 options 787-9
Delivery starts 2021

Congrats Boeing!

Congratulations, indeed.

I guess pendants can take solace in the fact that we haven't seen an A338 cancellation notice.

The HA announcement reads:

The company selected the 787-9 as part of a competitive bid process that also included the Airbus A330-900.

“We were in the enviable position of choosing between two outstanding models for our flagship aircraft of the future and I couldn’t be more excited about the prospect of adding the Dreamliner to Hawaiian’s fleet,” remarked Ingram.

Hope springs eternal for an A338 purchase?

EDIT: FG reports A338 is cancelled.

Hawaiian cancelled its order for six A330-800s on 27 February, the company confirms.


Ref: https://www.flightglobal.com/news/artic ... or-446506/

Note, the report that kicked off this thread was on 20 February.
Last edited by Revelation on Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own
 
User avatar
Polot
Posts: 9706
Joined: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: A330-800 out, B787-9 in at Hawaiian? -Leeham

Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:25 pm

As I noted in th other thread, interesting that they selected GE and not RR (which powers their A332s and would power their A338 if they keep that order).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos