Bjm0517
Topic Author

Question: will DL restart JFK-Asia on the A350?

Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:57 am

Delta doesn’t have any flights directly from JFK ago any Asian destinations, will Delta add flights from JFK to say, Tokyo or Seoul? It would only seem right, as Felta has 25 A350s on order, surely their has to be enough of them to do at least a few flights. What are your ideas

janders

Re: Question: will DL restart JFK-Asia on the A350?

Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:11 am

If Tokyo was so important they would not have dropped it. As part of KE JV an ICN might make sense in addition to the 2x daily KE flights maybe. Maybe one day China flight if a JV occurs there with MU, but that could be a long way off.
"We make war that we may live in peace." -- Aristotle

TransWorldOne

Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:20 am

KE flies 2X JFK-ICN. I suspect that is good enough for DL. They don't seem too interested in competing in the NYC-Asia market.

aemoreira1981

Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:20 am

The presence of the JV between DL and KE pretty much means no on that as I see it since KE’s product is superior to anything DL can offer. KE already offers nearly 800 seats a day (during peak when it’s double daily A380).

MIflyer12

Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:28 am

I am surprised that 'Win in New York' doesn't include JFK-TYO, even as the NRT hub is drawn down. I really would expect DL corporate customers to be demanding it. So far DL has been able to ignore it.

usdcaguy

Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:30 am

The top three are probably Tokyo, Hong Kong and Singapore with Beijing a close fourth. DL can offer KE to HKG and SIN out of NYC, but it could likely use some sort of flight to HND. Still would seem like a weak offering, though, with nothing to China

DaufuskieGuy

Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:33 am

nrt is not a priority for dl anymore sad to say if anything i could see them complementing ke's icn service. japan can survive just fine on 2 of the 3 airline alliances

flyfresno

Wed Feb 21, 2018 3:34 am

If DL had an unlimited number of HND slots, perhaps you would see it. NRT seems unlikely.

flyinghippo

Will DL fly TPAC from JFK again?

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:09 pm

DL used to fly JFK-NRT direct. Today, the only option to fly from continental US North East to Asia on DL is via DTW or SEA. DL has a big presence at JFK and is their gateway to Europe, having zero TPAC options seems a bit odd...

With more A350s joining the DL fleet, do you think DL will consider flying TPAC from JFK again?

lavalampluva

Re: Will DL fly TPAC from JFK again?

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:11 pm

It's possible now that DL has the A350, but overall IMO TPAC from JFK is already pretty well served. It's not situated well for DL connections, but does have a big metro area from which to draw. But I can see either a flight to NRT or ICN being added.
Remind me to send a thank you note to Mr. Boeing.

TransWorldOne

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:16 pm

lavalampluva wrote:
It's possible now that DL has the A350, but overall IMO TPAC from JFK is already pretty well served. It's not situated well for DL connections, but does have a big metro area from which to draw. But I can see either a flight to NRT or ICN being added.

NRT? Nah. Delta would like to pull out of NRT entirely. It's possible that DL would want to supplement KE capacity to ICN with the impending JV but I suspect that the twice daily A380's are more than sufficient for this route. In short, no, I do not think we'll see DL metal on JFK-Asia anytime soon.

SFOThinker

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:42 pm

If Delta had taken delivery of the NW-ordered 787-8s, they might try JFK-HND, IF slots were available there. Otherwise, not much chance of Tokyo service resuming from JFK.

flyfresno

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:26 pm

flyinghippo wrote:
DL used to fly JFK-NRT direct. Today, the only option to fly from continental US North East to Asia on DL is via DTW or SEA. DL has a big presence at JFK and is their gateway to Europe, having zero TPAC options seems a bit odd...

With more A350s joining the DL fleet, do you think DL will consider flying TPAC from JFK again?

I believe DL connects quite a few pax BOS/NYC/DC to HND through MSP.

compensateme

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:52 pm

SFOThinker wrote:
If Delta had taken delivery of the NW-ordered 787-8s, they might try JFK-HND, IF slots were available there. Otherwise, not much chance of Tokyo service resuming from JFK.

No, if DL had desired to operate transpacific services from JFK -- including (but not limited to) Tokyo, they would have taken delivery of the NW-ordered 788. That DL isn't interested in operating JFK t-pac services (at this point in time - it's a fluid industry) factored heavily in its decision to NTU the 788.
We don’t care what your next flight is.

ty97

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:23 pm

IF DL ever adds back JFK-Asia, it seems pretty certain it would be an ICN flight at this point, but with the KE JV imminent (if not already implemented?) DL probably doesn't feel the need. As convenient as the NRT flight was for me, I don't see it coming back with the continuing drawdown of the NRT hub.

When HND first opened up to US carriers, AA tried and failed at JFK-HND, albeit with pretty bad flight times (due to departure/arrival time restrictions at HND). It did not last long.

Fares from NYC to much of Asia are just garbage low (great for me! Bad for the airlines though) so I'm not sure DL has much interest in re-entering the market. That said, Korea seems to usually have somewhat higher fares than much of the rest of Asia, but you can still find some sub-$800 fares (not on DL but on other airlines) at times which doesn't sound like much of a moneymaker.

Not saying JFK-ICN on DL will ever happen, but it's the only possibility I see should DL ever decide to serve Asia again from JFK.

777Mech

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:28 pm

SFOThinker wrote:

What does having the 787 have to do with it? They have the 777 and the A350 available, and yet they choose not to. The 787 isn't the dealbreaker for them serving Tokyo.

Polot

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:34 pm

777Mech wrote:
SFOThinker wrote:

What does having the 787 have to do with it? They have the 777 and the A350 available, and yet they choose not to. The 787 isn't the dealbreaker for them serving Tokyo.

The 787-8 is much smaller than the 777 and A359. I believe that is what he was getting at.

EddieDude

Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:01 pm

Polot wrote:
The 787-8 is much smaller than the 777 and A359. I believe that is what he was getting at.

Yes. JFK-NRT was downgauged from 744 to 77L before the route was ended. Not sure if they went as far to make it an A332 route towards the end. NYC-TYO is served by JL in a J-V with AA, and by NH in a J-V with UA. It was hard for DL to compete. As others have said, if DL had enough HND slots, then perhaps things would be different.
Upcoming flights:
May: AM MEX-CUN 73H (Y), AM CUN-MEX 73W (Y).
August: KL MEX-AMS 74M (J), KQ AMS-NBO 788 (J).

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos