Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Mortyman
Topic Author

Norwegian set speed record - again

Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:26 am

Norwegian set speed record - again

Beat their own record from January and flew New York-London in five hours and nine minutes.

January 15th this year, a Norwegian Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner used five hours and 13 minutes from the JFK airport in New York to London Gatwick. That was a new record for the route.

Now, the low-cost airline has beaten its own record with four minutes, writes the industry site Check-in.dk.

It was February 8 this year, the Norwegian Dreamliner ended up in the midst of a powerful jet stream.

The plane with Captain Martin Wood in the cockpit flew from New York at 11.58 local time and landed at 22.50 in London local time - about an hour before scheduled arrival.

The route was flown at a height of 33,000 feet (10,060 meters) and had a speed of 695 knots, equivalent to 1285 kilometers per hour.

"We have gone from being fast-growing to being fastest flying. We flew in 33,000 feet, roughly in the middle of the jet stream, which was surprisingly comfortable, "said Martin Wood, according to Daily Mail.

https://www.dn.no/nyheter/2018/02/21/08 ... kord-igjen

TC957

Re: Norwegian set speed record - again

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:07 am

Are they going for the honour of a first subsonic sub-5 hour JFK-LGW crossing ? I presume that's already possible from BOS.

neomax

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:25 am

TC957 wrote:
Are they going for the honour of a first subsonic sub-5 hour JFK-LGW crossing ? I presume that's already possible from BOS.

At this rate, it'll only be another week or two before that happens.

TC957

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:35 am

Actually, it probably won't because the Jetstream is wavy up & down the Atlantic now and for the next couple of weeks due to extensive high pressure over eastern Europe.

Richard28

Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:27 pm

I'm finding it a bit odd that Norwegian keep getting these low times, other carriers must also be catching the same jet streams and making similar times?

Is this just a case of Norwegians marketing department working overtime announcing these flight times and other airlines not even bothering about them?

skipness1E

Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:36 pm

Richard28 wrote:
I'm finding it a bit odd that Norwegian keep getting these low times, other carriers must also be catching the same jet streams and making similar times?

Is this just a case of Norwegians marketing department working overtime announcing these flight times and other airlines not even bothering about them?

Probably.

747-600X

Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:18 pm

I'd be curious what impact this has on total gate-to-gate time. Arriving an hour early has got to wreak some kind of havoc on the gate planners' schedules at a busy airport. If the arrival airport were JFK, ORD, LAX, or anywhere else in the US that I can think of, an aircraft arriving an hour early would be told to go sit over yonder and think about their life decisions for a good while until their gate opened up.

JibberJim

Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:19 pm

Richard28 wrote:

But they all the others join a long queue to land at the airport people want to fly from JFK to in London, or are landing at the busy time for LGW, all the fast norwegian flights are the evening arrival ones, the morning arrival timed the same time as the only LGW flight are quite a bit slower and not much faster than the BA 772 arriving at the similar time.

ilovelamp

Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:38 pm

Pennies count. I’m surprised they aren’t thinking more tactically about fuel savings. Tailwinds are God’s gift to the airlines. This is good press but if it becomes common place it won’t help their bottom line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B747forever

Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:05 pm

ilovelamp wrote:
Pennies count. I’m surprised they aren’t thinking more tactically about fuel savings. Tailwinds are God’s gift to the airlines. This is good press but if it becomes common place it won’t help their bottom line.

But you have to remember that in the other direction you will face massive headwinds. When comparing the same route, you end up spending more time in headwinds than in tailwinds so you actually end up losing more with strong winds enroute.
Work Hard, Fly Right

ilovelamp

Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:11 pm

B747forever wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:

But you have to remember that in the other direction you will face massive headwinds. When comparing the same route, you end up spending more time in headwinds than in tailwinds so you actually end up losing more with strong winds enroute.

Of course. I would agree with exception of if they needed the strong tailwinds eastbound to make up for lost time westbound to arrive on time in LGW. However, since they are arriving up to an hour early it tells me they aren’t taking full advantage of the tailwinds for operational reasons.

SuperTwin

Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:48 pm

ilovelamp wrote:
B747forever wrote:
ilovelamp wrote:

Of course. I would agree with exception of if they needed the strong tailwinds eastbound to make up for lost time westbound to arrive on time in LGW. However, since they are arriving up to an hour early it tells me they aren’t taking full advantage of the tailwinds for operational reasons.

Maybe scrambling to get the fin back to LGW asap to operate a delayed o/b flight?

Indeed seems like wasteful effort to unnecessarily speed to destination otherwise.
SuperTwin

Cointrin330

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:04 pm

Great to see them break speed records. Profits would be nice too. Great product. Hope it succeeds long term.

millionsofmiles

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:23 pm

When all is said and done, the only Norwegian speed record anybody is going to remember is how quickly it shuts down.

Tedd

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:23 pm

Richard28 wrote:

Why the negativity? So what if Norwegian choose to go with giving out times of their flights. They have a couple of
records under their belt & are obviously proud of the fact. They are probably proud of the excellent prices & service
on offer too. More power too them.......literally :)

millionsofmiles

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:35 pm

Tedd wrote:
Richard28 wrote:

Why the negativity? So what if Norwegian choose to go with giving out times of their flights. They have a couple of
records under their belt & are obviously proud of the fact. They are probably proud of the excellent prices & service
on offer too. More power too them.......literally :)

I guess they need to be proud of something to get their minds off their balance sheet.

Mortyman
Topic Author

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:38 pm

millionsofmiles wrote:
When all is said and done, the only Norwegian speed record anybody is going to remember is how quickly it shuts down.

They've been around since 1993 ... 25 years ...

B747forever

Wed Feb 21, 2018 9:47 pm

Mortyman wrote:
millionsofmiles wrote:

While they have been around since -93, they are a completely different company today compared to the days when they only flew domestically in Norway. I am sure their short haul flying is fine, they only need to get their act together when it comes to long haul. Contrary to many here, I have flown with DY about 10 times from/to LAX and I hope to see them survive. Without them and carriers like WOW/FI we will only have the three JV alliances “competing” on TATL routes.
Work Hard, Fly Right

millionsofmiles

Re: Norwegian set speed record - againp

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:47 pm

Mortyman wrote:
millionsofmiles wrote:

We’ll see if their aircraft set speed records to the Mohave before long, I’m sure.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos