910A
Topic Author

DOT approves Contour Airlines, AEAS to CEC

Wed Feb 21, 2018 6:30 pm

Approval received Tuesday of the Border Coast Regional Airport’s application for Alternate Essential Air Service by the U.S. Department of Transportation means Contour Airlines will be able to start offering jet flights from Crescent City to Oakland in just a couple months.

“The Department will enter into a grant agreement with Crescent City to provide up to $3,310,503 per year in financial assistance to be used by Crescent City for public charter service to Oakland International Airport, or alternate large or medium hub airport designated by the community,” the DOT order reads, “using 30-passenger Embraer ERJ-135 (jet) aircraft for a 30 month term beginning April 1, 2018 through Sept. 30, 2020.”

http://www.triplicate.com/home/6025174- ... ir-service

For Bay Area bound passengers, this should work out..for those connecting better figure out WN's schedule and be prepared walk over to WN to check in your bags.

Frontier14

Re: DOT approves Contour Airlines, AEAS to CEC

Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:53 pm

Is there much pax traffic between CEC and OAK?

Frontier 14

wedgetail737

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:00 pm

Probably not...but there could be a lot of connection opportunities.

Yflyer

Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:22 pm

I don't have actual numbers, but I would guess there is some traffic, maybe not to OAK specifically, but to the Bay Area in general. It is a pretty long drive from Crescent City to the Bay Area.

There would be connecting opportunities, but I assume no interlining let alone codesharing with a major carrier like there was with the previous PenAir service and SkyWest before that. So connections would have to be on a separate ticket, with no protection if you misconnect. That's never a good thing, and IMO is one of the biggest challenges with EAS services like this.

Edit to add: And what's the difference between "alternate" EAS and just plain EAS? Does it have something to do with allowing the flights to be a scheduled charter service instead of a regular scheduled airline?

wedgetail737

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:05 am

Yflyer wrote:
I don't have actual numbers, but I would guess there is some traffic, maybe not to OAK specifically, but to the Bay Area in general. It is a pretty long drive from Crescent City to the Bay Area.

There would be connecting opportunities, but I assume no interlining let alone codesharing with a major carrier like there was with the previous PenAir service and SkyWest before that. So connections would have to be on a separate ticket, with no protection if you misconnect. That's never a good thing, and IMO is one of the biggest challenges with EAS services like this.

Edit to add: And what's the difference between "alternate" EAS and just plain EAS? Does it have something to do with allowing the flights to be a scheduled charter service instead of a regular scheduled airline?

It might a little inconvenient to have a longer-than-normal layover, but it's worth it. Give yourself lots of time to connect, even though OAK isn't very large. I did when I did the Avgeek thing a connected in OAK from SEA to get on Boutique Air to LAX via MCE.

RJNUT

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:09 am

Seems almost an exact duplicate of the Macon -BWI service on Contour . Don't know how that has been doing?!

MO11

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:52 am

Yflyer wrote:

For AEAS, a grant is provided to the community/airport operator which in turn arranges for the air service. This is the only way to get a public charter onto the EAS program. The other cities doing this are Macon (GA), Manistee (MI), Victoria (TX), Parkersburg and Beckley (WV). For EAS, the payment is made to the air carrier, and it is required to be operated as scheduled service.

RJNUT wrote:
Seems almost an exact duplicate of the Macon -BWI service on Contour . Don't know how that has been doing?!

In November, northbound had about a 60% load factor, southbound had about 58%.

RJNUT

Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:17 am

MO11 wrote:
Yflyer wrote:

For AEAS, a grant is provided to the community/airport operator which in turn arranges for the air service. This is the only way to get a public charter onto the EAS program. The other cities doing this are Macon (GA), Manistee (MI), Victoria (TX), Parkersburg and Beckley (WV). For EAS, the payment is made to the air carrier, and it is required to be operated as scheduled service.

RJNUT wrote:

In November, northbound had about a 60% load factor, southbound had about 58%.

Thanks for info on MCN. For non-connecting jet service in the EAS program, that LF is probably as good as it gets!

irelayer

Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:00 am

Yflyer wrote:

In fact it's about the same as the driving time between LA and Oakland to put it into perspective.

I know ACV (Arcata) has direct flights to SFO and you can get pretty much anywhere from there. It's about 1.5-2 hours from Crescent City.

-IR

ericm2031

Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:30 am

I'm sure they could get some traffic that would connect to WN, without interlining...Too bad they cannot get a tag on from ACV on the CRJ200...I'm assuming the 5k runway is the problem?

wedgetail737

Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:37 am

I would give the service a try just to be an Avgeek!

dc10lover

Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:38 am

After the introductory fares are gone, if the fares are too high, people will not fly.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

dolphinflyer

Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:00 am

CEC-SMF would be a better route. Important to link the state capital with the geographically isolated Del Norte county. Much more synergy given government traffic. Southwest doesn't interline with Contour, so very limited connecting opportunities for CEC passengers at OAK.

WN732

Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:53 am

I could see this doing well. I've used a similar service with Boutique Air out of Merced to Oakland. Transitioning to WN is extremely easy.

910A
Topic Author

Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:21 am

Contour announces regional jet flights between Crescent City and Oakland International Airport beginning April 11 with a special introductory fare of $49 one way.

http://www.contourairlines.com/

wedgetail737

Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:14 am

WN732 wrote:
I could see this doing well. I've used a similar service with Boutique Air out of Merced to Oakland. Transitioning to WN is extremely easy.

I connected from AS to Boutique to LAX via MCE, and it was very easy since I was able to check in at the gate.

wedgetail737

Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:37 am

Looking at the initial schedule, it doesn't show a very efficient aircraft utilization...long layovers at both OAK and CEC. But the timing of the flights does maximize connection opportunities. I wonder if they will operate out of T1 or Kaiser (North Field).

WN732

Thu Mar 01, 2018 7:07 am

wedgetail737 wrote:
WN732 wrote:

I connected from AS to Boutique to LAX via MCE, and it was very easy since I was able to check in at the gate.

Exactly. I think there are plenty of folks in the Valley that could find a use for the service. It's definitely not marketed enough. I really hope that these smaller EAS flights last.

wedgetail737

Sun Mar 04, 2018 1:00 am

Ok...I thought I'd give Contour a try in late April. Wish me luck!

910A
Topic Author

Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:09 pm

First flight was today, pictures on fly crescent city Facebook page.

910A
Topic Author

Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:56 pm

wedgetail737 wrote:
Looking at the initial schedule, it doesn't show a very efficient aircraft utilization...long layovers at both OAK and CEC. But the timing of the flights does maximize connection opportunities. I wonder if they will operate out of T1 or Kaiser (North Field).

Arrival was at Terminal 1 gate 5 and the return will be from gate 12. Full flight this morning.

MO11

Wed Apr 11, 2018 7:57 pm

Looks like it did the bare minimum to mask the Continental paint scheme

Wingtips56

Wed Apr 11, 2018 9:13 pm

MO11 wrote:
Looks like it did the bare minimum to mask the Continental paint scheme

They have a graphic with a pretty sharp livery online...whether we'll ever see it on an actual airplane is another story.
Worked for WestAir, Apollo Airways, Desert Pacific, Western, AirCal and American Airlines (Retired). Flight Memory: 180 airports, 90 airlines, 75 a/c types, 403 routes, 58 countries (by air), 6 continents. 1,117,006 passenger miles.

Home airport : CEC

AAflyguy

Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:35 pm

The logo actually is on the aircraft, just ahead of the name on the fuselage. Whether it will ever grace the tail is the question. I suspect it will eventually, especially if the brand grows further and expands to more markets.

wedgetail737

Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:07 pm

910A wrote:
First flight was today, pictures on fly crescent city Facebook page.

As long as people continue to use it and the planes are fairly full, I'm sure Contour will stay and maybe add frequency.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos