Mortyman
Topic Author

Norwegian goes to Brazil to talk about expansion

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:41 am

Norwegian goes to Brazil to talk about expansion

The Norwegian airline will meet Brazilian transport authorities and ANAC aviation agency in March regarding plans to expand in the country.

It is Bloomberg News Friday that writes this and refers to the Brazilian financial newspaper Valor Econômico, who does not provide the source of the information.

Norwegian has already received authorization from Argentinian authorities to fly from Argentina to 13 Brazilian cities.

CEO Bjørn Kjos in Norwegian has previously said that the company has been contacted by other South American countries than Argentina regarding operation of domestic and international flights.

https://investor.dn.no/?&_ga=2.36032100 ... ekte/26881

C010T3

Re: Norwegian goes to Brazil to talk about expansion

Fri Feb 23, 2018 11:52 am

Well, regarding international flights, there are 21 weekly frequencies available between Brazil and the UK.
Brazil-Norway is actually open skies, so they could actually use the Norwegian AOC even more flexibly.

Kikko19

Fri Feb 23, 2018 12:08 pm

Norwegian should eventually change the name to 'global'

LPSHobby

Fri Feb 23, 2018 1:38 pm

if they offer a LGW-GRU or LGW-GIG at the same price they are offering the LGW-EZE this would be a tentaption. They are offering LGW-EZE for US$ 362,00, while the cheapest offer from other airlines was Alitalia with US$ 1197,00...

mcdu

Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:09 pm

LPSHobby wrote:
if they offer a LGW-GRU or LGW-GIG at the same price they are offering the LGW-EZE this would be a tentaption. They are offering LGW-EZE for US$ 362,00, while the cheapest offer from other airlines was Alitalia with US$ 1197,00...

They are selling their product below cost to produce. This won’t last long at the rate they are burning through NOK. So it may be cheap today but if you book in advance there is a chance NOrwegian may be out business by the time of your travel.

Also what is the fare difference after adding luggage, food, seat selections etc?

mcdu

Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:11 pm

Kikko19 wrote:

They should try having just one carrier versus all the alter egos they operate.

PatrickZ80

Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:50 pm

mcdu wrote:
Also what is the fare difference after adding luggage, food, seat selections etc?

Who says you need all that? Plenty of people that fly with hand luggage only (which is free on Norwegian), take their own food with them and sit in their free random assigned seat.

I think Brazil will do good as a destination from Europe, it attracts more tourists than Argentina. I just hope it'll be served from other bases than Gatwick. The disadvantage of Gatwick is the APD which is making the tickets more expensive, whilst there are plenty of countries in Europe without APD. I'd be happy to self-transfer there.

PatrickZ80

Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:56 pm

mcdu wrote:

That would mean they'd have to scrap about half of their routes. Each of those alter egos as you call them has it's purpose, they're registered in different countries that come with different bilaterals. What is possible on one AOC isn't possible on the other, and what is possible on the other isn't possible on one. It's called flag of convenience.

mcdu

Fri Feb 23, 2018 5:57 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
mcdu wrote:

Who says you need all that? Plenty of people that fly with hand luggage only (which is free on Norwegian), take their own food with them and sit in their free random assigned seat.

I think Brazil will do good as a destination from Europe, it attracts more tourists than Argentina. I just hope it'll be served from other bases than Gatwick. The disadvantage of Gatwick is the APD which is making the tickets more expensive, whilst there are plenty of countries in Europe without APD. I'd be happy to self-transfer there.

Nothing better than sitting next to someone on a 12 hour flight that has brought their own smorgasboard from home and traveling with a trash bag for luggage. Perhaps that is the clientele that the Norwegian gamut of alter ego carriers is shooting for. However, it doesn’t detract from the fact that they are selling those seats at less than it cost them to fly. The results will not be good and the prices either go up or they do bust.

dcajet

Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:07 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
I think Brazil will do good as a destination from Europe, it attracts more tourists than Argentina. .

As a country, Brazil receives ~ 5% more tourists than Argentina. But as a city-destination, Buenos Aires receives more tourism than any other city in the continent.
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

gatibosgru

Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:25 pm

LGW-GIG sounds like it would work out well. GRU would have more demand originating there, but not many people want to visit São Paulo.
@DadCelo

PatrickZ80

Fri Feb 23, 2018 6:27 pm

dcajet wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
I think Brazil will do good as a destination from Europe, it attracts more tourists than Argentina. .

As a country, Brazil receives ~ 5% more tourists than Argentina. But as a city-destination, Buenos Aires receives more tourism than any other city in the continent.

Strange, I always thought Rio de Janeiro would be the number one tourist destination in South America. It's such a famous city, everybody knows it.

On top of that, Brazil has it's beaches. Sure Argentina has beaches too, but it's too far south for a holiday in the sun. It has more or less the same climate as Europe, so that's no motivation to fly halfway around the globe. But certainly in the winter in Europe many people will escape the cold and Brazil sounds like a nice warm getaway.

PPVLC

Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:19 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
dcajet wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:

Strange, I always thought Rio de Janeiro would be the number one tourist destination in South America. It's such a famous city, everybody knows it.

On top of that, Brazil has it's beaches. Sure Argentina has beaches too, but it's too far south for a holiday in the sun. It has more or less the same climate as Europe, so that's no motivation to fly halfway around the globe. But certainly in the winter in Europe many people will escape the cold and Brazil sounds like a nice warm getaway.

Rio de Janeiro would make sense but don't forget that Brazilians go en masse to Buenos Aires and I'm sure this adds a lot to the statistics. Also Argentinian tourists have their sunny breaks in Florianopolis ( they can drive there) or go to the Brazilian Northeast, to places like Salvador, Natal, etc. Rio de Janeiro is not their main focus.
Cabin crew L188 707 727 737 767 A300 DC10 MD11 777 747

Varsity1

Fri Feb 23, 2018 8:38 pm

Norwegian is picking up speed to obliteration.

Incredible how naive they can be.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

BlueTrue

Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:42 pm

"Also what is the fare difference after adding luggage, food, seat selections etc?"

Why do posters on this site always quote this, as if it was going to add hundreds of pounds onto the cost? Do you ever check for yourself, or is your anger towards Norwegian so intense that you cannot take on board any information you dislike.

For the record, a reserved seat, 20kg checked bag and 2 meals costs £50. For a return trip, that is £100, do you think that is going to close the gap right up? It might on some occasions, but on many it will not, so drop this red herring please.

behramjee

Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:43 pm

Isn't GIG now a very unsafe city for tourists? As per this week's article https://www.dailysabah.com/americas/201 ... ized-crime

PRGEC

Fri Feb 23, 2018 9:49 pm

behramjee wrote:
Isn't GIG now a very unsafe city for tourists? As per this week's article https://www.dailysabah.com/americas/201 ... ized-crime

Not that much. Tourists live a completely diferent reality from the dwellers do. Cities in the northeast are way more dangerous. Tbh we feel safer with the army around, the dirty job they will do will be far away from the "streets".

Btw it doesn't add much to the topic.
Libertas quæ sera tamen

B747forever

Fri Feb 23, 2018 10:32 pm

BlueTrue wrote:
"Also what is the fare difference after adding luggage, food, seat selections etc?"

Why do posters on this site always quote this, as if it was going to add hundreds of pounds onto the cost? Do you ever check for yourself, or is your anger towards Norwegian so intense that you cannot take on board any information you dislike.

For the record, a reserved seat, 20kg checked bag and 2 meals costs £50. For a return trip, that is £100, do you think that is going to close the gap right up? It might on some occasions, but on many it will not, so drop this red herring please.

Spot on! Furthermore when you add all those things you will have the same level of service as the legacy carriers, so Norwegian doesn’t then have to be necessarily cheaper for someone to choose them as their flight schedule or other factors such as new 787s can sway a customer to them. What many also forget is that many other carriers also charge for seat selection and luggage nowadays. BA even charge for seat selection in business class, and for instance LH/SK and soon AF/KL charge for luggage on select long haul routes. With already higher base fares compared to Norwegian, DY still comes away ahead of the legacy carriers once you add all their fees.
Work Hard, Fly Right

Varsity1

Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:15 am

Mortyman wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

mcdu wrote:
They are selling their product below cost to produce. This won’t last long at the rate they are burning through NOK. So it may be cheap today but if you book in advance there is a chance NOrwegian may be out business by the time of your travel.

drama queens much ? Give it a rest. It's way to early to write off Norwegian just yet. I have no doubt that there are dedicated people in the leadrship at Norwegian that will work to improve things with time.

People in Norwegian's "leadership' are taking jobs elsewhere.

This airline has no strategy. It is throwing darts at a board that are far enough part to fly a 787 full of below cost VFR passengers.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

MAH4546

Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:52 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
dcajet wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:

Buenos Aires is more popular with Americans, not to mention Rio is incredibly dangerous.
a.

pdp

Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:17 am

Kikko19 wrote:

Maybe World Travel, a la FSX?

Not sure I understand Norwegian’s strategy, seems very scattergun at a wall!

Varsity1

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:01 am

pdp wrote:
Kikko19 wrote:

Maybe World Travel, a la FSX?

They don't seem to understand it either.

PatrickZ80

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:24 am

pdp wrote:

There is nothing to understand about it as actually Norwegian doesn't seem to have any strategy.

Mortyman
Topic Author

Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:55 am

Varsity1 wrote:
Mortyman wrote:
Varsity1 wrote:

mcdu wrote:

drama queens much ? Give it a rest. It's way to early to write off Norwegian just yet. I have no doubt that there are dedicated people in the leadrship at Norwegian that will work to improve things with time.

People in Norwegian's "leadership' are taking jobs elsewhere.

This airline has no strategy. It is throwing darts at a board that are far enough part to fly a 787 full of below cost VFR passengers.

As far as I know, only one has quit, but Norwegian has added a few people.. I think you read too much into it.

chrisp390

Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:44 pm

Could they tap into the Norwegian sovereign wealth fund once they run out of money?

cc2314

Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:17 pm

No,the wealth fund isn't there to prop up private business errors.

If Norwegian are going down a slippery slope just how much longer will it take for them to go bankrupt?

If they are running on credit surely some banks are aware of their short comings.

My own personal view would be they don't seem to fear failure,they venture anywhere on the globe with a fraction of the Conservative element of normal airlines.This could bite them hard.
Deleted

planesarecool

Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:25 pm

Is it possible to have a thread on Norwegian without the ill-informed posts about their imminent demise? Do people not realise that people work for this airline, their livelihoods depend on it and pointless speculation from armchair Flight Simulator CEOs with no real world experience is not useful to anybody.

Wizzair lost 78 million Euros in their first six years of operation. They didn't turn a profit until their 9th year. Airlines, like businesses, countries and individuals usually build up debt during their early or expanding years. It happens every day, all over the world. If it wasn't an airline - an airline that, for some reason, people seem to love to hate - nobody would bat an eyelid to their recent financial results.

Change the record.

mcdu

Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:03 pm

planesarecool wrote:
Is it possible to have a thread on Norwegian without the ill-informed posts about their imminent demise? Do people not realise that people work for this airline, their livelihoods depend on it and pointless speculation from armchair Flight Simulator CEOs with no real world experience is not useful to anybody.

Wizzair lost 78 million Euros in their first six years of operation. They didn't turn a profit until their 9th year. Airlines, like businesses, countries and individuals usually build up debt during their early or expanding years. It happens every day, all over the world. If it wasn't an airline - an airline that, for some reason, people seem to love to hate - nobody would bat an eyelid to their recent financial results.

Change the record.

Those that take jobs with Norwegian should be aware on the pitfalls of the plan they put forth and the staggering losses.

Armchair CEO’s. Hardly, just plenty of experience in seeing paper tigers like Norwegian disappear over the years. Airline history is littered with the names
of carriers like Norwegian.

At the end of the day survival by selling below cost is never going to happen. Raising the fares then defeats the intent of the Norwegian scheme. They can’t compete with the legacy carriers because they have no ability to sell seemless travel to all points on the globe.

lightsaber

Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:18 pm

Kikko19 wrote:

I like that idea! Regional names tend not to sell well out of region. Global will only be an issue when we finally have flights into space. :cloudnine:

mcdu wrote:

I think their compartmentalized format has merit. They do need better yield management. Seriously, their costs versus income are a bit out of whack and the leasing arm (yes, due to PW1100Gs... sigh...) is the unit in HUGE trouble.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

santi319

Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:24 pm

Forgive me if Im wrong but doesnt Brazil have some sort of law that YOU MUST have free luggage included with your ticket or something like that?

PatrickZ80

Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:41 pm

santi319 wrote:
Forgive me if Im wrong but doesnt Brazil have some sort of law that YOU MUST have free luggage included with your ticket or something like that?

Yes, but it only applies to Brazilian registered airlines. It doesn't apply to foreign registered airlines serving Brazil.

PRGEC

Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:53 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
santi319 wrote:

Yes, but it only applies to Brazilian registered airlines. It doesn't apply to foreign registered airlines serving Brazil.

It was like this until last year when the brazilian ANAC allowed airlines to charge for dispatched luggage on domestic flights.
For international flights it is still mandatory to have luggage included on ticket, although the minimum weight has been reduced from 32kg to 23kg.
Libertas quæ sera tamen

santi319

Sat Feb 24, 2018 5:58 pm

PRGEC wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
santi319 wrote:

It was like this until last year when the brazilian ANAC allowed airlines to charge for dispatched luggage on domestic flights.
For international flights it is still mandatory to have luggage included on ticket, although the minimum weight has been reduced from 32kg to 23kg.

Surprised Norwegian even tries to tap into this market then...

PatrickZ80

Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:09 pm

santi319 wrote:
PRGEC wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:

But as said before, it doesn't apply to them. It only applies to Brazilian registered airlines.

santi319

Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:37 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
santi319 wrote:
PRGEC wrote:

But as said before, it doesn't apply to them. It only applies to Brazilian registered airlines.

So this wouldnt apply to them either?

"For international flights it is still mandatory to have luggage included on ticket, although the minimum weight has been reduced from 32kg to 23kg."

PatrickZ80

Sat Feb 24, 2018 6:52 pm

I've looked it up:

For tickets whose itinerary originates in Brazil (for both the outbound and inbound journeys), the Civil Aviation Authority Agency (ANAC) determines that for each adult passenger, the free bagagge allowance consists of 2 pieces* of max. weight of 32kgs (70 lbs) each. The sum of the 3 dimensions of each piece cannot exceed 158 cm (62 in.) and the sum of the dimentions of both pieces cannot exceed 273 cm (107 in.).

In other words, it only applies if the journey originates in Brazil. But I got a feeling Norwegian isn't aiming so much at Brazilians wanting to visit Europe, they're aiming at Europeans wanting to visit Brazil. And to them it doesn't apply.

santi319

Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:17 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
I've looked it up:

For tickets whose itinerary originates in Brazil (for both the outbound and inbound journeys), the Civil Aviation Authority Agency (ANAC) determines that for each adult passenger, the free bagagge allowance consists of 2 pieces* of max. weight of 32kgs (70 lbs) each. The sum of the 3 dimensions of each piece cannot exceed 158 cm (62 in.) and the sum of the dimentions of both pieces cannot exceed 273 cm (107 in.).

In other words, it only applies if the journey originates in Brazil. But I got a feeling Norwegian isn't aiming so much at Brazilians wanting to visit Europe, they're aiming at Europeans wanting to visit Brazil. And to them it doesn't apply.

Well they are experts in finding loopholes and if they found one here it will be a goldmine!

C010T3

Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:26 pm

Brazilian intercontinental luggage regulation used to be applied to any POS to flights to/from/via North America, while it only applied to Brazilian POS in other cases. It did not matter if the airline was Brazilian or foreign.

That's now history. Luggage has been fully liberalized. The only regulation in place now is regarding hand luggage. It is mandatory to allow passangers a carry-on item up to 10kg.

Planesmart

Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:32 pm

PatrickZ80 wrote:
pdp wrote:

There is nothing to understand about it as actually Norwegian doesn't seem to have any strategy.

I'm confident there is a strategy.

Like EK was (now benchmark setter and unstoppable global mass), DY is a market disrupter.

Legacies have two options - take out DY while affordable and before customer expectations become entrenched (either by doing a Laker or through acquisition), or compete and see margins shrink.

Would be interesting to know DY's current and promised direct / indirect Boeing financial support.

Mortyman
Topic Author

Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:08 am

Kjos rejects establishment in Brazil

The Norwegian airline currently has no plans to establish itself in Brazil, says CEO Bjørn Kjos to Finansavisen.

At the end of February, the Brazilian financial newspaper Valor Econômico wrote according to Bloomberg News that Norwegian will meet Brazilian transport authorities and ANAC aviation agency in March regarding plans to expand in the country.

However, Kjos denies that he has had meetings with Brazilian authorities in advance of an Argentina visit this week.

-No, I have not had any meetings in Brazil. Brazil is well-covered domestically. If we are going to fly there, it will be international. Brazil is a big market, but we concentrate primarily on Argentina. We will surely fly to Brazil from Argentina, but we currently have no plans to establish us there, "says Kjos to Finansavisen.

By the way, the Norwegian boss says that the company will work to set up a sales system in Argentina in the spring, and expect to start flying in the late summer

https://investor.dn.no/?&_ga=2.10221715 ... ekte/27170

c933103

Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:32 am

Mortyman wrote:

The Norwegian airline currently has no plans to establish itself in Brazil, says CEO Bjørn Kjos to Finansavisen.

At the end of February, the Brazilian financial newspaper Valor Econômico wrote according to Bloomberg News that Norwegian will meet Brazilian transport authorities and ANAC aviation agency in March regarding plans to expand in the country.

However, Kjos denies that he has had meetings with Brazilian authorities in advance of an Argentina visit this week.

-No, I have not had any meetings in Brazil. Brazil is well-covered domestically. If we are going to fly there, it will be international. Brazil is a big market, but we concentrate primarily on Argentina. We will surely fly to Brazil from Argentina, but we currently have no plans to establish us there, "says Kjos to Finansavisen.

By the way, the Norwegian boss says that the company will work to set up a sales system in Argentina in the spring, and expect to start flying in the late summer

This rejection does not denies the original report. It state that they won't fly domestically within Brazil and would only fly internationally to Brazil, but it is not like the original report said would fly domestic within Brazil
The message in signature have been removed according to demand.

Mortyman
Topic Author

Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:21 am

c933103 wrote:
Mortyman wrote:

This rejection does not denies the original report. It state that they won't fly domestically within Brazil and would only fly internationally to Brazil, but it is not like the original report said would fly domestic within Brazil

Yes, but it did say that Norwegian were about to have talks in Brazil and that was apparently not the case.

dcajet

Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:10 pm

This (Norwegian basing an airline in Brazil or somewhere else) is the same scenario as with the story that Norwegian was planning to fly over the South Pole from EZE to SIN via PER: local journalists with a very vivid imagination...
"Unattended children will be given espresso and a free kitten"

mcdu

Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:25 pm

Planesmart wrote:
PatrickZ80 wrote:
pdp wrote:

I'm confident there is a strategy.

Like EK was (now benchmark setter and unstoppable global mass), DY is a market disrupter.

Legacies have two options - take out DY while affordable and before customer expectations become entrenched (either by doing a Laker or through acquisition), or compete and see margins shrink.

Would be interesting to know DY's current and promised direct / indirect Boeing financial support.

There is a large difference between NOrwegian and the ME3. The ME3 created single hubs in the Middle East that are financially stabilized by their governments. The availability of cheaper oil than the rest of the world during the fuel spike also helped the ME3. The ME3 pay and benefits were often much lower than their western counterparts. The hub is staffed with ground workers who work for singnificatnly less pay and benefits. They could afford to sell their product at a lower cost than the competitors because they had lower costs and government subsidy.

NOrwegian doesn’t have government backing nor do they cheap oil. Their employees work at wages much less than the industry standard so they have a small advantage versus the other carriers. They also offshoretheir employees to avoid paying the local wage and benefits. However, they are selling their product below their well below their own cost and that is why they are burning through cash at an extreme rate.

I would have been surprised if NOrwegian could have afforded to start Brazil regional operations. They really are a house of cards and the financial stats do not paint a picture of survival.

The only disruption NOrwegian is creating is their own demise.

C010T3

Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:15 pm

For the record, the Brazilian newspaper did not mention the setup of a Brazilian entity for local operations. It only mentioned flights from Argentina and from Europe.

slcdeltarumd11

Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:52 pm

mcdu wrote:
LPSHobby wrote:

To be fair to norweigan people on a.net have been screaming they would go under for years now. They keep finding people to invest in them. Norweigan has a very nice product I would rate it at least equal to most legacies for comfort and experience.

The flyer has zero risk, pay with a credit card. , Problem solved if they go under.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos