Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

airtrantpa
Topic Author

Vaping device caused fire at DEN

Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:24 pm

Vape device caused fire, panic at Denver airport - https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/nati ... al-airport

I thought vaping was illegal in airports
AirTran: Go there's no stopping you!
712,722,732,733,735,73G,738,739,752,753,762,763,764,772,A318,319,320,320,343,L1011,D8,M82/88/90

flown on all U.S based carriers that have existed since 1991

kjeld0d

Re: Vaping device caused fire at DEN

Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:47 pm

For what its worth, vaping is generally much safer than smoking. UC Davis Study: "Smoking causes an estimated 30 percent of fire deaths in the United States and 10 percent of fire deaths worldwide."

ericm2031

Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:51 pm

The passenger wasn't vaping, it was in the carry-on bag going through the x-ray machine

IPFreely

Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:57 pm

Turbofanfan wrote:
What surprises me is the speed with which everybody hauls outta there, especially employees, over a relatively tiny fire.

I had to smile when I saw the first two to vacate the area were TSA agents. And they were moving faster than I've ever seen a TSA agent move anywhere.

ual747den

Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:02 pm

This incident happened about a month ago, the only reason that it is making the news now is because they just released the video. I was pretty surprised that it took so long for the TSA to put it out and I am also surprised that they did not clear the area much quicker.
Frontier Airlines - Low Fares Done Right

Jalap

Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:48 pm

airtrantpa wrote:
Vape device caused fire, panic at Denver airport - https://www.abcactionnews.com/news/nati ... al-airport

I thought vaping was illegal in airports

Carrying a battery isn't illegal. A vape device is mostly just a battery.
This will happen every now and then. Look at it as good news, because damage from vape batteries is close to zero compared to damage done by smoking. For every vape device malfunctionning, there are thousands of people who quit smoking.

kgaiflyer

Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:56 pm

"I am also surprised that they did not clear the area much quicker."

I get the impression (from watching "Air Disasters" on Smithsonian Channel) that a burning plane needs to be emptied in 90 seconds or less.
But given sheer volume of people in the video, I'm amazed the area emptied as fast as it did.

Rather remarkable, actually.

TWA772LR

Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:17 am

Turbofanfan wrote:
What surprises me is the speed with which everybody hauls outta there, especially employees, over a relatively tiny fire.

I'm not very surprised by the passengers reactions because airports are sensitive areas post 9/11. TSA on the other hand, are a law enforcement agency and all front line personnel hould be level headed in an emergency like this. It took almost a minute to respond with a fire extinguisher, which is too slow whwn considering the amount of personnel were in the area.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

BHM

Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:33 am

Do all passenger planes have fire suppression systems in the cargo hold? While battery fires may rare, had this happened in the cargo hold I would imagine the fire would have spread quickly.

Also, are there passenger accessible fire extinguishers in the cabin or are they only for crew use?

lightsaber

Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:10 am

kjeld0d wrote:
For what its worth, vaping is generally much safer than smoking. UC Davis Study: "Smoking causes an estimated 30 percent of fire deaths in the United States and 10 percent of fire deaths worldwide."

Smoking is dangerous. So is vaping. Vaping fires are becoming common. Not to mention any smoke promotes cancer. As part of my grad school work on toxicity of combustion, I was appalled at what smokers due to I themselves. Guess what, vaping is also a very toxic mix. Don't fool yourselves, we're not evolved for that level of lung contamination.

I've even read studies on how since vaping users inhale deeper, it could be 100% as bad as smoking. Nicotine is an insecticide.

I really wish smokers and vapor users realize they really can't smell anymore. I very much dislike sitting next to a smoker due to the smell. I won't comment to a stranger though.

I do walk out of restaurants with too many smokers. I want to smell food!

Lightsaber
Winter is coming.

H3w1tt

Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:23 am

Anyone else see the passenger slip? On a more serious note I can understand why the passengers ran; as mentioned before airports are sensitive places and people would be quick to assume a bomb or other terror related event, but TSA needs to maintain control regardless. However, those agents who stayed behind did a good job of evacuating the area

Jalap

Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:36 pm

lightsaber wrote:
Vaping fires are becoming common.

If more common than any other battery fire, please release your source.

I also have thoughts about the rest of your post, but I'll reply to that in non-aviation because it would be off topic.

kiowa

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:07 pm

IPFreely wrote:
Turbofanfan wrote:

I had to smile when I saw the first two to vacate the area were TSA agents. And they were moving faster than I've ever seen a TSA agent move anywhere.

starting to look like a trend--law enforcement getting away from potential danger.

XAM2175

Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:56 pm

kgaiflyer wrote:
I get the impression ... that a burning plane needs to be emptied in 90 seconds or less.

The FAA certification rules require that an aircraft seating 45 or more passengers be able to be evacuated for any reason, not just fire, in 90 seconds or less with only half the total number of exits available. There are also a few other specifications and conditions, which are detailed here: http://fsims.faa.gov/WDocs/8300.10%20Ai ... 077_00.htm

Other bodies, such as those under the EASA umbrella, impose similar requirements.

One of the more well-known examples is that of the A380's certification process, where 853 passengers and crew were evacuated in 78 seconds from a darkened, smoke-filled, debris-strewn cabin using only half the doors.

Of course, those passengers knew they were there for an evacuation drill, so you can't directly apply it to the real world, but the consideration is very much part of the design process.

There are also rules relating to the location, size, and type of exit (for example, Airbus had to had an additional exit door on either side to the A340-600 as the proposed design had too long a gap between them, and Boeing had to change the design of the 737 NG's overwing exits as the original type was no longer satisfactory)

Similar rules exist for public buildings too.

BHM wrote:
Do all passenger planes have fire suppression systems in the cargo hold?

Most new ones do, but many older types don't and don't yet have to. However it is part of the rollout, since 2007, of ETOPS requirements to all multi-engine types.

Jalap wrote:
lightsaber wrote:
Vaping fires are becoming common.

If more common than any other battery fire, please release your source.

Exactly. The health points aren't for discussion here, so until proven otherwise e-cigarettes have the same fire risk profile as any other portable devices powered by lithium-ion batteries.

The suggestion could be made that the nature of their operation - by heating the oil to vapourise it - does present an addition risk, but I can't recall any example of this being the root cause of a documented fire event.

M564038

Sun Feb 25, 2018 6:39 pm

It is not a vaping-fire, it is a battery fire.
We are carrying more and more devices with batteries, and there will be these sorts of fires resulting from time to time until battery technology changes. We just have to deal with it when it happens.

I also see Lightsaber not being quite up to date on the later research regarding vaping and health hazard. In short there is surprisingly little response from the body on vaping. Compared with tobacco smoke, it is almost nothing. The amount of lives that could be saved by promoting vaping as a 1:1 alternative to smoking is staggering.

VC10er

Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:10 am

E-cigarette (vaping devices) tend to catch fire far more often when a person doesn’t use the same brand of liquid cartridges in the device. There are cheaper cartridges so sometimes people will try that and the liquid leaks and can cause a fire. If you vape: don’t do that!
It makes sense for passengers to carry them on and not check them: if I’m not mistaken that is the law.
If used right, vaping helped me stop smoking completely. Also, there are near zero carcinogenic constituents in the vapor (which is NOT smoke) although nicotine is bad. But making claims about the health impact is premature as they haven’t been as widely used over decades like with cigarettes. (I know one of the pioneers of vaping, a scientist.) Also, there is nothing in the “second hand” vapor. It’s just steam, no nicotine either, and there is no sidestream smoke as a burning cigarette. So they won’t pollute the cabin air...not even close. Although I’m NOT advocating for vaping on flights!
That said real smoking was so pervasive for so many years on airplanes is astounding. It was almost as offensive to smokers as non-smokers on an airplane. I acutely remember how disgusting and uncomfortable it was.
I also am unsure if a lavatory smoke detector can detect the steam from someone vaping in flight. There is nothing in the steam for the dectector to screen for?
To Most the Sky is The Limit, For me, the Sky is Home.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos