SLCUT2777

Re: OAG Changes 2/25/2018: HA Drops OAK-KOA, Defers LIH; AS Drops SFO-MEX

Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:22 am

[quote="iyerhari"][quote="enilria"]

*DL ATL-YVR NOV 0.9>0

DL YVR cuts for ATL and SLC.

WS getting some of the DL routs as part of Joint Venture? One of the SLC-YVR frequencies has always been via a connection carrier (OO), but seasonally the other has been mainline. WS jumps into both ATL & SLC from YVR this way...
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

DaufuskieGuy

Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:04 am

TYSflyer wrote:
777Mech wrote:
As always thanks Enilria for compiling this every week!

As for the UA cuts, I thought they were in growth mode per their earnings call. What happened?

Atleast some of these appear to be capacity increases though. IAH-SAV goes from 2 50 seat E145 to 1A320 so a net gain of 50 seats. Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think this is the first time United mainline has operated IAH-SAV.

correct first mainline, SAV has only had mainline to ATL/CLT since late 90s.

clrd4t8koff

Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:09 am

enilria wrote:
DL JFK-SFO JUL 7>8 OCT 7>8

This is getting to be quite the crowded market. Looking at a random Friday in July there are 37 flights:
UA - 14
DL - 8
AA - 5
B6 - 6
AS/VA - 5

That's unreal. Clearly UA leads the market with DL seemingly looking to dominate the JFK side. I think DL is doing whatever it can to keep B6 at bay (no pun intended) and to not let them get any more of the market. While I've not had a chance to fly MINT, the response seems to be good and I think I've read it's quite profitable for B6.

jetbluefan1

Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:50 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
enilria wrote:

This is getting to be quite the crowded market. Looking at a random Friday in July there are 37 flights:
UA - 14
DL - 8
AA - 5
B6 - 6
AS/VA - 5

That's unreal. Clearly UA leads the market with DL seemingly looking to dominate the JFK side. I think DL is doing whatever it can to keep B6 at bay (no pun intended) and to not let them get any more of the market. While I've not had a chance to fly MINT, the response seems to be good and I think I've read it's quite profitable for B6.

Good catch. I think this is the first time DL is up to 8x in this market. I presume some of the frequencies are operated with 767 variants.

Mint is indeed quite profitable for B6 (at least in more mature markets). I suspect JFK-SFO is the second highest margin Mint market, behind JFK-LAX. There is some room for additional capacity in this market, and DL is #1 on most - if not all - JFK transcons. That said, I wouldn't be surprised to see B6 add a 7th flight sometime over the next year. (Unless they bring Mint to EWR...)

jubguy3

Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:55 am

Could this indicate SLC-YVR on WestJet or is it just moving capacity over to SEA? Because the frequency on SLC-YVR seems surprisingly low considering that Delta is the only one on that route. There has to be more demand for Vancouver to SLC than that alone. Maybe they are having WS pick up these frequencies. I would also love to see SLC to YEG.

sxf24

Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:00 am

clrd4t8koff wrote:
enilria wrote:

UA - 14
DL - 8
AA - 5
B6 - 6
AS/VA - 5

If you count UA to EWR, the AS/VX number should reflect JFK and EWR, which is 9-10 depending on the day.

iyerhari

Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:09 am

SLCUT2777 wrote:
iyerhari wrote:
enilria wrote:

*DL ATL-YVR NOV 0.9>0

DL YVR cuts for ATL and SLC.

WS getting some of the DL routs as part of Joint Venture? One of the SLC-YVR frequencies has always been via a connection carrier (OO), but seasonally the other has been mainline. WS jumps into both ATL & SLC from YVR this way...

Excellent point. DL joint venture with WS maybe possibly setting the stage for WS to take over the route. With the exception of UA who significantly benefits due to Star Alliance feeds from AC, AA and DL really do not have much of Canada presence barring YYZ from all their hubs. Just an observation. WN, B6 are nowhere there anyways in Canada.

n7371f

Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:57 am

I thought I saw AA reduce GEG service for this summer. Originally slated 2x daily GEG-DFW 2x daily GEG-PHX with one rotation each on a 321 -- not 2x daily GEG-DFW and only 1x GEG-PHX and no 321's.

303dk

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:07 am

BAINY3 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
I wonder if SJU is using hurricane Maria to really take over the SJU markets. At the expense of AA in many cases it seems like.

I assume you meant to say "B6" instead of "SJU" the first time.

Anyway, this is nothing new. B6 has been taking over from AA at SJU for years.

Also flights are packed and fares sky high

tphuang

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:57 am

jetbluefan1 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:
Haven’t seen it in a OAG yet but AS is also dropping DEN-SFO in early June.

Looks like it, when AS cut a route, they first set all the remaining dates to some really high fare with no changes for the rest of calendar. That's what they did for other routes they cut and looks like the case with SFO-DEN. I suppose this won't show up until next week

It does make me wonder if they are cutting MSP and DEN, what's stopping them from SLC, which is also a legacy fortress hub that's very low yielding for AS. And also if any of the new routes to PHL/MSY/BNA/RDU will get axed.

If this is indeed true, it makes me wonder about the viability of the SFO AS hub. Isn't DEN a Top 10 domestic O&D destination from SFO? This cut, along with MSP and possibly FLL, start to diminish the "relevance" that AS commands from a Bay Area point-of-sale. I wonder what the strategy is here, and if AS is really committed to a major SFO operation.

This also speeds up AS consolidation to T2, which gives B6 a lot of room to expand at INTL terminal if it wanted.

BAINY3 wrote:
tphuang wrote:
I wonder if SJU is using hurricane Maria to really take over the SJU markets. At the expense of AA in many cases it seems like.

AA has long been drawn down at SJU. If anything, I think B6 is trying to get further ahead of WN, which has been slow to restore its PR operations. B6 is going to be at pre-hurricane peaks by this spring. It's interesting that B6 remains bullish on a market that has a shrinking economy, which has only been dealt further blows by the hurricane and slow recovery efforts. It remains to be seen if this loss leading eventually pays off...

I'm not convinced this is a loss leading move, but probably less profitable.

B6 seems to yield much better than WN in PR market, even out of MCO/TPA where WN is much larger. Which would indicate that it strongly wins PR point of sale, which matters more than ever since vacation demand to PR has probably tanked since Maria.

If they can make BDL-SJU work and operate 3x BOS-SJU in summer time in current market condition, they should really look into adding IAD/RDU-SJU which other carriers have canceled.

jetbluefan1

Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:35 pm

tphuang wrote:
jetbluefan1 wrote:
tphuang wrote:

Looks like it, when AS cut a route, they first set all the remaining dates to some really high fare with no changes for the rest of calendar. That's what they did for other routes they cut and looks like the case with SFO-DEN. I suppose this won't show up until next week

It does make me wonder if they are cutting MSP and DEN, what's stopping them from SLC, which is also a legacy fortress hub that's very low yielding for AS. And also if any of the new routes to PHL/MSY/BNA/RDU will get axed.

If this is indeed true, it makes me wonder about the viability of the SFO AS hub. Isn't DEN a Top 10 domestic O&D destination from SFO? This cut, along with MSP and possibly FLL, start to diminish the "relevance" that AS commands from a Bay Area point-of-sale. I wonder what the strategy is here, and if AS is really committed to a major SFO operation.

This also speeds up AS consolidation to T2, which gives B6 a lot of room to expand at INTL terminal if it wanted.

Yeah, this would change some of the calculus at SFO, given B6 has been relegated to just 2 gates and has been seeking more for a long time. I've always thought SFO is a much better opportunity for B6 than LAX, given the lack of AA/DL hubs, and the smaller WN presence. If AS/VX decides to consolidate, perhaps it's a golden opportunity for B6 to gain something of a toehold.

tphuang wrote:
BAINY3 wrote:

AA has long been drawn down at SJU. If anything, I think B6 is trying to get further ahead of WN, which has been slow to restore its PR operations. B6 is going to be at pre-hurricane peaks by this spring. It's interesting that B6 remains bullish on a market that has a shrinking economy, which has only been dealt further blows by the hurricane and slow recovery efforts. It remains to be seen if this loss leading eventually pays off...

I'm not convinced this is a loss leading move, but probably less profitable.

B6 seems to yield much better than WN in PR market, even out of MCO/TPA where WN is much larger. Which would indicate that it strongly wins PR point of sale, which matters more than ever since vacation demand to PR has probably tanked since Maria.

If they can make BDL-SJU work and operate 3x BOS-SJU in summer time in current market condition, they should really look into adding IAD/RDU-SJU which other carriers have canceled.

Fair points. I bet the flights aren't as profitable as they used to be, but to your point, the strong PR point of sale should help the long term viability of B6's focus city (that is, as long as the economy doesn't tank any further).

I could see RDU-SJU, although IAD-SJU would be somewhat redundant with (highly profitable) DCA-SJU.

rajincajun01

Mon Feb 26, 2018 12:38 pm

tphuang wrote:

RDU recently announced that F9 will be starting RDU-SJU in April.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore

MIflyer12

Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:38 pm

jetbluefan1 wrote:
Good catch. I think this is the first time DL is up to 8x in this market. I presume some of the frequencies are operated with 767 variants.

Picking a July date (a Monday, 7/16), Delta's schedule JFK-SFO is 6x 75s (16J) and 1x 764 (40J) and 1x 763 (the 26J variant).

enilria
Topic Author

Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:34 pm

jetmatt777 wrote:
Thanks for the report, airline!

:)
sxf24 wrote:
Although very interesting, people put too much weight on OAG changes. They may not always align with Airlines’s intentions or what will be sold. It is not unusual for OAG changes to be reversed.

It's at least a thought going through an airline's head. If it's only "wrong" for 24 hours then it's meaningless, but when it stays loaded for a week and then is changed we are watching an evolution of thought on a route plan.
SANFan wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

Interesting. I'm also waiting to see what happens with the 'odd' Vegas routes that Virgin currently offers such as to LAX, SFO and JFK. In particular, will LAS-JFK continue or be dropped? LA/SF-Vegas I see staying as I imagine eventually AS will be serving LAS from several key CA markets, prolly adding focus cities, SAN & SJC and perhaps SNA and/or SMF as well.

But LAS-JFK is a rather questionable. Personally, I would love to see AS pull that route and a/c and reallocate it between JFK and a focus city in CA...

Looks to me like the VX house cleaning continues.

bb

If they are truly pilot short it would seem that would go, but OTOH it is a beachhead against B6 which might make it strategically valuable.
iyerhari wrote:
Thank you enilrea as always.

:)
rajincajun01 wrote:

If that comes true, coupled with SFO-MEX going away (and MSP-SFO is also going away right?), I think that makes me wonder if they are committed to making SFO a "hub". It seems to me strategically that LAX is a quagmire. They can't win there. They don't have the resources or the corporate contract access AA/DL/UA/WN have. Too many monkeys are throwing their ^#[email protected] and that will keep prices low in LAX. So you can't win and you can't do very well because it is too competitive. I don't see the future for AS there. I see a much brighter future in SFO where they could become a firm #2 to UA which is a very enviable position as SFO is just as deserving of a second hub carrier as SEA or DEN or PHX, probably moreso. So, if I were AS I would put as many eggs in the SFO basket as possible, not roll back.
jetbluefan1 wrote:
B6 is going to be at pre-hurricane peaks by this spring. It's interesting that B6 remains bullish on a market that has a shrinking economy

So, the ethnic market is getting bigger. A lot of people are leaving the island to live in Florida and NY areas. This will actually increase traffic as they go back to visit. Also, I doubt the tourist economy in SJU will suffer for very long. Americans, sorry to say, are too lame/cheap to get passports and SJU is about as exotic as you can get without throwing down the cash for a passport, so I think they have a pretty unassailable tourist advantage. Yes, the business market to PR is going to be gutted, but how big was it to begin with?

Rdh3e

Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:34 pm

rajincajun01 wrote:

Was there an announcement or anything you can link to?

Cubsrule

Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:43 pm

enilria wrote:
jetbluefan1 wrote:
B6 is going to be at pre-hurricane peaks by this spring. It's interesting that B6 remains bullish on a market that has a shrinking economy

So, the ethnic market is getting bigger. A lot of people are leaving the island to live in Florida and NY areas. This will actually increase traffic as they go back to visit. Also, I doubt the tourist economy in SJU will suffer for very long. Americans, sorry to say, are too lame/cheap to get passports and SJU is about as exotic as you can get without throwing down the cash for a passport, so I think they have a pretty unassailable tourist advantage. Yes, the business market to PR is going to be gutted, but how big was it to begin with?

Is this true? Certainly SJU attracts a budget-minded set of travelers but many of them are after cheap cruises, which do require a passport. P.R. tourism is an interesting mix of budget, eco-tourism, VFR, and really high-end (e.g. one third of the Ritz-Carlton properties in the Caribbean are in Puerto Rico).
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

rajincajun01

Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:54 pm

Rdh3e wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

There has not been a public announcement. June 5 is the last day of operation is what employees have been told.
A319 A320 A321 A332 B1900 B717 B727 B737 B757 B767 B777 B787 CR2 CR7 CRJ9 E120 ERJ135 ERJ145 L1011 MD80 SF340 AvGeek Superstore

tphuang

Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:22 pm

Rdh3e wrote:
rajincajun01 wrote:

Here is a good way to see which route is about to get axed for AS.

Check this. Notice how starting From June 6th, all the fares on AS is $286 for rest of the schedule, which is much higher than their pricing prior to that date.
https://www.google.com/flights/#search; ... o;a=AS;s=0

That's typically a sign that route is getting axed. Happened with SFO-CUN/MSP/MEX and now with DEN.

enilria
Topic Author

Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:24 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
enilria wrote:
jetbluefan1 wrote:

Is this true? Certainly SJU attracts a budget-minded set of travelers but many of them are after cheap cruises, which do require a passport. P.R. tourism is an interesting mix of budget, eco-tourism, VFR, and really high-end (e.g. one third of the Ritz-Carlton properties in the Caribbean are in Puerto Rico).

US Citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port) and travel to destinations in Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean, the Bahamas, and Bermuda are able to re-enter the United States with proof of citizenship other than a passport or passport card.

But the hurricane in PR does little to hurt cruise business anyway.

Cubsrule

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:28 pm

enilria wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
enilria wrote:

US Citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port) and travel to destinations in Mexico, Canada, the Caribbean, the Bahamas, and Bermuda are able to re-enter the United States with proof of citizenship other than a passport or passport card.

Do folks take cruises that qualify as closed loop and then not get off the boat in the places like St. Kitts and St.Lucia that require passports for entry? Virtually all sailings from San Juan stop in one or more places that require passports for entry.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

jordanh

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:34 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
enilria wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:

Do folks take cruises that qualify as closed loop and then not get off the boat in the places like St. Kitts and St.Lucia that require passports for entry? Virtually all sailings from San Juan stop in one or more places that require passports for entry.

Those countries do allow cruise passengers to disembark, usually with a time limit, without a passport.

Passports are required, though, if those same passengers were arriving by air.

AirFiero

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:49 pm

enilria wrote:

. If that comes true, coupled with SFO-MEX going away (and MSP-SFO is also going away right?), I think that makes me wonder if they are committed to making SFO a "hub". It seems to me strategically that LAX is a quagmire. They can't win there. They don't have the resources or the corporate contract access AA/DL/UA/WN have. Too many monkeys are throwing their ^#[email protected] and that will keep prices low in LAX. So you can't win and you can't do very well because it is too competitive. I don't see the future for AS there. I see a much brighter future in SFO where they could become a firm #2 to UA which is a very enviable position as SFO is just as deserving of a second hub carrier as SEA or DEN or PHX, probably moreso. So, if I were AS I would put as many eggs in the SFO basket as possible, not roll back.

AS Keeps expanding at SJC and cutting SFO. Maybe they are seeing better opportunities at SJC?

AAvgeek744

Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:51 pm

AirFiero wrote:
enilria wrote:

. If that comes true, coupled with SFO-MEX going away (and MSP-SFO is also going away right?), I think that makes me wonder if they are committed to making SFO a "hub". It seems to me strategically that LAX is a quagmire. They can't win there. They don't have the resources or the corporate contract access AA/DL/UA/WN have. Too many monkeys are throwing their ^#[email protected] and that will keep prices low in LAX. So you can't win and you can't do very well because it is too competitive. I don't see the future for AS there. I see a much brighter future in SFO where they could become a firm #2 to UA which is a very enviable position as SFO is just as deserving of a second hub carrier as SEA or DEN or PHX, probably moreso. So, if I were AS I would put as many eggs in the SFO basket as possible, not roll back.

AS Keeps expanding at SJC and cutting SFO. Maybe they are seeing better opportunities at SJC?

I think we'll see a lot of route tweaking as the merger moves forward. VX has too large a presence at SFO to let it go. That's not to say they won't grow SJC or OAK. I suspect when it's all shaken out, AS will have a significant operation at SFO.

AirFiero

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:04 pm

AAvgeek744 wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
enilria wrote:

I think we'll see a lot of route tweaking as the merger moves forward. VX has too large a presence at SFO to let it go. That's not to say they won't grow SJC or OAK. I suspect when it's all shaken out, AS will have a significant operation at SFO.

You would think so, but so far all their actions are to cut SFO and grow SJC. Of course they won’t *cut* SFO completely, but the trend seems towards SJC.

AAvgeek744

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:29 pm

AirFiero wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
enilria wrote:

You would think so, but so far all their actions are to cut SFO and grow SJC. Of course they won’t *cut* SFO completely, but the trend seems towards SJC.

Over the years I've learned to not read much into early route movements following mergers. There aren't a lot of routes where AS would not meet competition from SFO. Someone earlier noted the number of flights to NYC, it was surprising. Not sure how the terminal one construction will affect them, but I don't get out to SF as much as I used to.

ucdtim17

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:50 pm

AirFiero wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
enilria wrote:

Since the VX purchase, they've expanded a lot more at SFO than at SJC.

SFO-MEX
SFO-ABQ
SFO-MSP
SFO-MCI
SFO-MSY
SFO-IND
SFO-BWI
SFO-BNA
SFO-PHL
SFO-RDU
SFO-KOA

vs.

SJC-TUS
SJC-DAL
SJC-AUS

Missing any? In the past few weeks there have been cuts at SFO but it's still way ahead.

Midwestindy

Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:59 pm

Aliqiout wrote:
adam47150 wrote:
I'm surprised that there haven't been any increases in May flights into SDF (for Derby) and IND (for the 500). Of course, I may not have been following these weekly reports long enough and they may have already been filed.

Flights may have been added as the schedule was loaded. This report only shows changes to what was already loaded.

When do they usually add flights for events like this?

Those changes won't show up in this thread, because the frequency changes are only for 2-3 days and not for weeks or months.

I can say for the Indy 500
DFW/DCA/PHX-IND all get extra frequencies
ATL/CLT/PHX/DFW/ORD/DCA/PHL/EWR/MIA/CDG/MSP-IND are seeing upguages.

But, as it gets closer to the race airlines will add more
Status for 2019/2020: AAdvantage Platinum, Delta Gold, Southwest A-List

AirFiero

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:06 am

ucdtim17 wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:

SFO-MEX
SFO-ABQ
SFO-MSP
SFO-MCI
SFO-MSY
SFO-IND
SFO-BWI
SFO-BNA
SFO-PHL
SFO-RDU
SFO-KOA

vs.

SJC-TUS
SJC-DAL
SJC-AUS

Missing any? In the past few weeks there have been cuts at SFO but it's still way ahead.

Thanks for the data.

You are definitely missing a few adds from SJC. I’ll see what I can find.

SANFan

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:06 am

ucdtim17 wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:

SFO-MEX
SFO-ABQ
SFO-MSP
SFO-MCI
SFO-MSY
SFO-IND
SFO-BWI
SFO-BNA
SFO-PHL
SFO-RDU
SFO-KOA

vs.

SJC-TUS
SJC-DAL
SJC-AUS

I was working up similar lists. Here's what I came up with:

SFO in '17 & '18: +MCO, SNA, MSP, MEX, PHL, BNA, ABQ, MCI, MSY, IND, BWI, RDU, KOA (+13) & - CUN, MEX, MCO, MSP, FLL (-5) NET +8
SJC IN '17 & '18: +EWR, BUR, AUS, TUS, LAX, DAL (+6) & -SLC (-1) NET +5

With all the loses so far this year, there isn't that big a net difference between the 2 Bay Area airports but SFO has certainly seen more route 'action'!

bb

AirFiero

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:10 am

AAvgeek744 wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:

Over the years I've learned to not read much into early route movements following mergers. There aren't a lot of routes where AS would not meet competition from SFO. Someone earlier noted the number of flights to NYC, it was surprising. Not sure how the terminal one construction will affect them, but I don't get out to SF as much as I used to.

Point taken, but not all mergers, hubs and airlines are the same. Wasn’t SFO the biggest station and home base for VX? I would expect that would skew things in SFOs favor right out the gate.

AirFiero

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:15 am

SANFan wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

SFO-MEX
SFO-ABQ
SFO-MSP
SFO-MCI
SFO-MSY
SFO-IND
SFO-BWI
SFO-BNA
SFO-PHL
SFO-RDU
SFO-KOA

vs.

SJC-TUS
SJC-DAL
SJC-AUS

SFO in '17 & '18: +MCO, SNA, MSP, MEX, PHL, BNA, ABQ, MCI, MSY, IND, BWI, RDU, KOA (+13) & - CUN, MEX, MCO, MSP, FLL (-5) NET +8

With all the loses so far this year, there isn't that big a net difference between the 2 Bay Area airports but SFO has certainly seen more route 'action'!

bb

Thanks, SAN, you just saved me a half out of work! :)

Yup, looks like a slight edge to SFO in net added routes. I’d still suggest that for a big hub at SFO, the “action” at SJC just down the road has been notable.

SANFan

Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:34 am

AirFiero wrote:
Thanks, SAN, you just saved me a half hour of work! :)

Yup, looks like a slight edge to SFO in net added routes. I’d still suggest that for a big hub at SFO, the “action” at SJC just down the road has been notable.

Glad to help, Air'; I had the info handy.

I see no reason why AAG won't keep both stations healthy and lively; they serve them both with lots of routes and capacity and I see no change in the status', with SFO remaining a hub and SJC a focus city. As long as AS doesn't see that they are competing with themselves, and I can't see that happening, all should be good.

I'm just not exactly sure what's really going on with AAG at SF though. Especially with the whole MEX-thing in CA. But I think things will settle down soon enough.

Also, we need to remember that SJC has a lot more competition from WN now so we'll have to see if that changes the dynamics of the Bay Area for AAG.

bb

AAvgeek744

Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:32 am

AirFiero wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

Point taken, but not all mergers, hubs and airlines are the same. Wasn’t SFO the biggest station and home base for VX? I would expect that would skew things in SFOs favor right out the gate.

I get where you are coming from. My point is I think in a year from now, some AS routes will have gone, some VX gone as well. Since AS is bigger up and down the west coast, it's not surprising they may not grow as fast. They have dropped some VX trans-con routes that may not have ever been profitable (SFO-MCO for example). I feel when it all shakes out, SFO will be the #2 city in AS system.

AirFiero

Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:13 am

AAvgeek744 wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:

I get where you are coming from. My point is I think in a year from now, some AS routes will have gone, some VX gone as well. Since AS is bigger up and down the west coast, it's not surprising they may not grow as fast. They have dropped some VX trans-con routes that may not have ever been profitable (SFO-MCO for example). I feel when it all shakes out, SFO will be the #2 city in AS system.

I don’t follow SFO news that closely, but as I understand it, SFO is very tight on gates and will be for some years to come. Where will AS put all those flights for a hub that large?

dc10lover

Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:18 am

I think Alaska will drop a lot of San Francisco - East Coast markets. Only concentrate on West Coast / Intra California markets.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

dc10lover

Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:22 am

With Southwest growing in San Jose and Alaska wanting to grow in San Jose, this will be super fun to watch.
Why endure the nightmare and congestion of LAX when BUR, LGB, ONT & SNA is so much easier to fly in and out of. Same with OAK & SJC when it comes to SFO.

dc10lover

Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:27 am

AirFiero wrote:
enilria wrote:

Remember: San Jose is basically Silicon Valley and San Jose is the closest airport to Silicon Valley. So expect San Jose Airport traffic to increase greatly.

ericm2031

Tue Feb 27, 2018 6:03 am

I'm not sure if this was loaded in this schedule release, but noticed a ton of UA upgauges in CA for June...many on routes that were exclusively CRJ200 routes not too long ago and some still are right now. I think this is the first UAX E75 service for MRY, SBP, RDD

SFO-RDD 1 E75, 3 CRJ
SFO-SMF 1 mainline, 2 E75, 1 CR7, 1 CRJ
SBP-SFO 3 E75, 1 CRJ
SBP-LAX 1 E75, 3 CRJ
SBP-DEN 1 CR7, 1 CRJ
ONT-SFO 1 mainline, 3 E75, 2 CRJ
MRY-LAX 1 E75, 3 CRJ
MRY-SFO 2 E75, 1 CRJ

Also, newly announced LAX-RDM has been upgauged from CRJ to E75

And then on an unrelated note, 1x mainline is added for MAF/CRP-IAH in June...not sure when that was loaded

AAvgeek744

Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:27 pm

AirFiero wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

I don’t follow SFO news that closely, but as I understand it, SFO is very tight on gates and will be for some years to come. Where will AS put all those flights for a hub that large?

I don't know how many gates that each other has, but combined together, they should still come out with a similar number a gates, at least seems it should work that way.

ericm2031

Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:11 pm

AAvgeek744 wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:

I don't know how many gates that each other has, but combined together, they should still come out with a similar number a gates, at least seems it should work that way.

Yes they are very tight on gates in the whole airport with the T1 project currently going on. AA/VX/AS are all sharing T2 and AS also has some ops in the international terminal. I'm assuming once T1 is completed either AS or AA will move over to T1

AirFiero

Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:53 pm

ericm2031 wrote:
AAvgeek744 wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

Yes they are very tight on gates in the whole airport with the T1 project currently going on. AA/VX/AS are all sharing T2 and AS also has some ops in the international terminal. I'm assuming once T1 is completed either AS or AA will move over to T1

Do I remember correctly that construction at SFO is supposed to take well into the 2020's? We're talking 5 years or so to completion? Where will AS get the gates to do any significant growth at SFO?

San Jose is facing similar issues, with all the new service coming in not just from AS but FL, DL, and WN. Heck, even UA added that flight to EWR. But SJC has room for growth onto Terminal B, and the airport is in the beginning stages of accelerating construction on that terminal extension. Preliminary, sure, but they have already added to more spots with two new jetways. If needed, I'd bet they could do a temporary structure like the Terminal A extension that AA created for their hub in the 90s, which is still in use today.

AirFiero

Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:59 pm

dc10lover wrote:
AirFiero wrote:
enilria wrote:

Remember: San Jose is basically Silicon Valley and San Jose is the closest airport to Silicon Valley. So expect San Jose Airport traffic to increase greatly.

I know, dude, I grew up there. (wink)

AirFiero

Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:04 am

SANFan wrote:
ucdtim17 wrote:
AirFiero wrote:

SFO-MEX
SFO-ABQ
SFO-MSP
SFO-MCI
SFO-MSY
SFO-IND
SFO-BWI
SFO-BNA
SFO-PHL
SFO-RDU
SFO-KOA

vs.

SJC-TUS
SJC-DAL
SJC-AUS

bb

Also add SAN and SNA from 2016, although that was pre-merger announcement.

dc10lover

Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:26 am

Southwest’s big boost in San Jose
80 more flights arriving at Silicon Valley's airport this spring

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfgate ... 648531.php

AirFiero

Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:46 pm

dc10lover wrote:
Southwest’s big boost in San Jose
80 more flights arriving at Silicon Valley's airport this spring

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sfgate ... 648531.php

An amazing amount of growth at SJC.

Does anyone know the gate capacity situation at SJC?

FSDan

Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:05 pm

ericm2031 wrote:
I'm not sure if this was loaded in this schedule release, but noticed a ton of UA upgauges in CA for June...many on routes that were exclusively CRJ200 routes not too long ago and some still are right now. I think this is the first UAX E75 service for MRY, SBP, RDD

SFO-RDD 1 E75, 3 CRJ
SBP-SFO 3 E75, 1 CRJ
SBP-LAX 1 E75, 3 CRJ
SBP-DEN 1 CR7, 1 CRJ
MRY-LAX 1 E75, 3 CRJ
MRY-SFO 2 E75, 1 CRJ

And then on an unrelated note, 1x mainline is added for MAF/CRP-IAH in June...not sure when that was loaded

UA finalized their June schedules about two weeks ago (I've been watching closely over the past month or two), and there are lots of cool upgauges throughout the system. I think the following mainline additions are noteworthy (some may have been this way for a little while or are seasonal resumptions, but they stuck out in my mind as routes that have very recently been all or mostly RJs):

SFO-YYC (2x mainline)
SFO-BZN (1x mainline)
SFO-FAT (1x mainline)
SFO-BUR (1x mainline)
SFO-ONT (1x mainline)
LAX-DFW (1x mainline)
DEN-YYZ (1x mainline)
DEN-EUG (1x mainline)
DEN-MFR (1x mainline)
DEN-FCA (2x mainline)
DEN-MSO (2x mainline)
DEN-BUR (1x mainline)
DEN-CLT (2x mainline)
DEN-RIC (2x mainline)
DEN-ORF (1x mainline)
IAH-YYZ (1x mainline)
IAH-ELP (2x mainline)
IAH-MAF (1x mainline)
IAH-CRP (1x mainline)
IAH-OMA (1x mainline)
IAH-STL (2x mainline)
IAH-JAX (1x mainline)
IAH-CLT (1x mainline)
IAH-RDU (1x mainline)
ORD-GEG (1x mainline)
ORD-FCA (1x mainline)
ORD-RNO (1x mainline)
ORD-OKC (1x mainline)
ORD-DLH (1x mainline)
ORD-SAV (1x mainline)
ORD-CHS (4x mainline)
ORD-ORF (2x mainline)
ORD-BTV (1x mainline)
IAD-SAT (2x mainline)
IAD-CLE (1x mainline)
IAD-ORF (2x mainline)
IAD-PIT (1x mainline)
IAD-PHL (1x mainline)
IAD-EWR (4x mainline)
IAD-PWM (2x mainline)
EWR-BZN (1x mainline)
EWR-TYS (1x mainline)
EWR-SAV (2x mainline)
EWR-CHS (2x mainline)
EWR-MYR (1x mainline)
EWR-AVL (1x mainline)
EWR-IAD (3x mainline)
EWR-PIT (1x mainline)
EWR-ROC (1x mainline)

Along with these additions, there are some markets that have traditionally seen mainline service that are losing it (DEN-FSD and ORD-DSM jump to mind), and there are several important routes that don't see any mainline, including DEN-MCI, IAH-DTW, IAH-ATL, ORD-STL, ORD-IND, ORD-DTW, and ORD-CVG. Some other important markets move to all mainline service (LAX-LAS, ORD-DFW, EWR-ATL), which is nice to see. The following large airports (>100 scheduled daily departures) are completely devoid of 50-seaters in the June schedule: SEA, PDX, SJC, SNA, LAS, PHX, SAT, AUS, DFW, MSP, MSY, DTW, CVG, MIA, FLL, TPA, MCO, ATL, CLT, RDU, PIT, and PHL. MKE is the only large airport UA flies to that sees no mainline service in June.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

ericm2031

Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:17 am

FSDan wrote:
ericm2031 wrote:

SFO-RDD 1 E75, 3 CRJ
SBP-SFO 3 E75, 1 CRJ
SBP-LAX 1 E75, 3 CRJ
SBP-DEN 1 CR7, 1 CRJ
MRY-LAX 1 E75, 3 CRJ
MRY-SFO 2 E75, 1 CRJ

UA finalized their June schedules about two weeks ago (I've been watching closely over the past month or two), and there are lots of cool upgauges throughout the system. I think the following mainline additions are noteworthy (some may have been this way for a little while or are seasonal resumptions, but they stuck out in my mind as routes that have very recently been all or mostly RJs):

SFO-YYC (2x mainline)
SFO-BZN (1x mainline)
SFO-FAT (1x mainline)
SFO-BUR (1x mainline)
SFO-ONT (1x mainline)
LAX-DFW (1x mainline)
DEN-YYZ (1x mainline)
DEN-EUG (1x mainline)
DEN-MFR (1x mainline)
DEN-FCA (2x mainline)
DEN-MSO (2x mainline)
DEN-BUR (1x mainline)
DEN-CLT (2x mainline)
DEN-RIC (2x mainline)
DEN-ORF (1x mainline)
IAH-YYZ (1x mainline)
IAH-ELP (2x mainline)
IAH-MAF (1x mainline)
IAH-CRP (1x mainline)
IAH-OMA (1x mainline)
IAH-STL (2x mainline)
IAH-JAX (1x mainline)
IAH-CLT (1x mainline)
IAH-RDU (1x mainline)
ORD-GEG (1x mainline)
ORD-FCA (1x mainline)
ORD-RNO (1x mainline)
ORD-OKC (1x mainline)
ORD-DLH (1x mainline)
ORD-SAV (1x mainline)
ORD-CHS (4x mainline)
ORD-ORF (2x mainline)
ORD-BTV (1x mainline)
IAD-SAT (2x mainline)
IAD-CLE (1x mainline)
IAD-ORF (2x mainline)
IAD-PIT (1x mainline)
IAD-PHL (1x mainline)
IAD-EWR (4x mainline)
IAD-PWM (2x mainline)
EWR-BZN (1x mainline)
EWR-TYS (1x mainline)
EWR-SAV (2x mainline)
EWR-CHS (2x mainline)
EWR-MYR (1x mainline)
EWR-AVL (1x mainline)
EWR-IAD (3x mainline)
EWR-PIT (1x mainline)
EWR-ROC (1x mainline)

Along with these additions, there are some markets that have traditionally seen mainline service that are losing it (DEN-FSD and ORD-DSM jump to mind), and there are several important routes that don't see any mainline, including DEN-MCI, IAH-DTW, IAH-ATL, ORD-STL, ORD-IND, ORD-DTW, and ORD-CVG. Some other important markets move to all mainline service (LAX-LAS, ORD-DFW, EWR-ATL), which is nice to see. The following large airports (>100 scheduled daily departures) are completely devoid of 50-seaters in the June schedule: SEA, PDX, SJC, SNA, LAS, PHX, SAT, AUS, DFW, MSP, MSY, DTW, CVG, MIA, FLL, TPA, MCO, ATL, CLT, RDU, PIT, and PHL. MKE is the only large airport UA flies to that sees no mainline service in June.

Seems UA is putting mainline all over the place since last summer, trying to see what works and what doesn't.

Great to see LAX-LAS finally expanded to what it should be. At one point it was only 3x daily and 2 were UAX (sometimes on CRJ's). Now it's going to 4 mainline and 1 E175. Such a huge route should never have fallen to what it did...it's very competitive route but if they want to keep its LA market share in tact, it needs to keep up with what AA/DL/NK/VX are doing and then be able to compete aggressively with the behemoth of WN on the route.

FSDan

Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:08 pm

ericm2031 wrote:
FSDan wrote:
ericm2031 wrote:

SFO-RDD 1 E75, 3 CRJ
SBP-SFO 3 E75, 1 CRJ
SBP-LAX 1 E75, 3 CRJ
SBP-DEN 1 CR7, 1 CRJ
MRY-LAX 1 E75, 3 CRJ
MRY-SFO 2 E75, 1 CRJ

SFO-YYC (2x mainline)
SFO-BZN (1x mainline)
SFO-FAT (1x mainline)
SFO-BUR (1x mainline)
SFO-ONT (1x mainline)
LAX-DFW (1x mainline)
DEN-YYZ (1x mainline)
DEN-EUG (1x mainline)
DEN-MFR (1x mainline)
DEN-FCA (2x mainline)
DEN-MSO (2x mainline)
DEN-BUR (1x mainline)
DEN-CLT (2x mainline)
DEN-RIC (2x mainline)
DEN-ORF (1x mainline)
IAH-YYZ (1x mainline)
IAH-ELP (2x mainline)
IAH-MAF (1x mainline)
IAH-CRP (1x mainline)
IAH-OMA (1x mainline)
IAH-STL (2x mainline)
IAH-JAX (1x mainline)
IAH-CLT (1x mainline)
IAH-RDU (1x mainline)
ORD-GEG (1x mainline)
ORD-FCA (1x mainline)
ORD-RNO (1x mainline)
ORD-OKC (1x mainline)
ORD-DLH (1x mainline)
ORD-SAV (1x mainline)
ORD-CHS (4x mainline)
ORD-ORF (2x mainline)
ORD-BTV (1x mainline)
IAD-SAT (2x mainline)
IAD-CLE (1x mainline)
IAD-ORF (2x mainline)
IAD-PIT (1x mainline)
IAD-PHL (1x mainline)
IAD-EWR (4x mainline)
IAD-PWM (2x mainline)
EWR-BZN (1x mainline)
EWR-TYS (1x mainline)
EWR-SAV (2x mainline)
EWR-CHS (2x mainline)
EWR-MYR (1x mainline)
EWR-AVL (1x mainline)
EWR-IAD (3x mainline)
EWR-PIT (1x mainline)
EWR-ROC (1x mainline)

Seems UA is putting mainline all over the place since last summer, trying to see what works and what doesn't.

Great to see LAX-LAS finally expanded to what it should be. At one point it was only 3x daily and 2 were UAX (sometimes on CRJ's). Now it's going to 4 mainline and 1 E175. Such a huge route should never have fallen to what it did...it's very competitive route but if they want to keep its LA market share in tact, it needs to keep up with what AA/DL/NK/VX are doing and then be able to compete aggressively with the behemoth of WN on the route.

In June LAX-LAS will be up to 5x daily 738/739 with no RJs. Definitely an improvement over the recent past.
This is my signature until I think of a better one.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos